5 big Japanese games that are coming to your 3DS

Out now in Japan, coming to the UK soon...

These are great times to be a 3DS owner with Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow - Mirror Of Fate and Monster Hunter 3: Ultmate all on the way in the next six weeks.

As those who watched Nintendo Direct will know, things will get even better later in the year when the likes of Mario And Luigi: Dream Team, Animal Crossing: New Leaf and Mario Golf: World Tour are released.

Satoru Iwata recently talked up the possibility of more Japanese developed games being released in the UK and this can only be a good thing. Hopefully, it also means we won't suffer from the drought of releases we're currently encountering on Wii U. We saw some evidence of this during Nintendo Direct with the likes of Etrian Odyssey IV and Project X Zone being showcased.

Now all we need is for Nintendo to announce that Fantasy Life, Dragon Quest VII, Bravely Default, Professor Layton Vs Phoenix Wright and Ace Attorney 5 for release in the UK. Until then, here are five big Japanese games that you should look forward to.

Project X Zone (Summer 2013)

Project X Zone
Project X Zone
We like video game crossovers. We loved seeing Sonic meet Mario, were tickled pink when Solid Snake infiltrated the Smash Bros. roster and still play Soul Calibur II because Link's in it. Project X Zone completely blows all of these momentous occasions out of the water, however, because it doesn't just have one or two crossovers, it has loads of them.

This is a strategy RPG in which all of the characters (more than a hundred) are harvested from classic Sega, Capcom and Namco Bandai games. Street Fighter's Ryu, Ken and Chun Li join Chris and Jill from Resident Evil, as well as Heihachi from Tekken, Frank West from Dead Rising, Ulala from Space Channel 5, Dante from Devil May Cry... and we've only scratched the surface.

We're just impressed to see the devs getting these superstar egos playing nicely together. The meat of the game involves hexagonal-based strategy, but battles are side-scrolling affairs packed with screen-filling special moves. What's not to like?

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next page

Comments

1. L_A Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 17:09

Code of Princess ! Been waiting for this game for months, and I'm really glad we're finally getting it. I was so happy when we got that German rating for the game, great thing Agatsuma Entertainement didn't give when they couldn't find a publisher.

2. TheSlenderman Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 17:35

Might give Etrian odyssey a go.

3. Pokemon Luke Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 17:54

I Find It AMAZING How Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Gates To Infinity Is A Highly Anticipated Game For Uk That Is Already Out In Japan That Isn't Mentioned In This Article... Amazing...

4. MJTH Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 18:10

This is great news!

....

However, I'm not particularly excited for these games. The two games I want the most Proffessor Layton Vs Ace Attorney and Bravely Default are unfortunately the Japanese games that are seemingly getting less and less likely to be localised... :(

5. KH81314 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 19:05

Not to excited about any of these games.

6. TheVelvetRoom Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 19:24

Still more hyped for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon than all of these.

7. Waldy565 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 19:47

Short answer(s) - SO looking forward to Project X Zone, my favourite devs (not including Konami, Ubisoft and, of course, Nintendo!) all making one game. Come...ON! Etrian Oddysey and Inazuma 11 I still have to experience, Etrian Oddysey I cant say I'm too excited, but then, as you expressed, it's underrated, so there, but Inazuma looks quite good. Code of Princess didn't and doesn't appeal to me,maybe that's because I found the 3DS direct a little disastrous tbh, and finally is Devil Survivor similar to Shin Megami, a spiritual successor I seem to have heard somewhere? If so, AWESOME! If not, uh, I dunno, because I strongly believe it is a successor :)

8. Waldy565 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 19:49

This is great news!

....

I agree, but I'd swap Bravery Default for Fantasy Life - need to read more on that actually. Also, Mystery Dungeon sounds like it's on good track

9. Waldy565 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 19:57

Just read this - http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/31954 - I now completely agree with MJTH, gonna go watch a trailer! :D

10. 3ds234 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 20:05

I don't think i'll get any of them.

11. Xenobladeperson Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 20:21

You say "big" Japanese games, but you left out the big releases.

12. TheVelvetRoom Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 20:26

It's a spinoff of Shin Megami Tensei. The regular series is in the genre of standard turn-based RPGs, whereas Devil Survivor is a turn-based strategy take on the series.

13. Mrslider101 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 20:43

*cough* Animal Crossing New Leaf! *cough*

14. triton6783 Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 21:42

Code of Princess is actually kind of a disappointing game, with the only good thing it has is its character designs. The one I am most excited for would have to be Etrian Odyssey IV. Also, I wish titles like Bravely Default and Professor Layton vs. Ace Attorney would be on this list, but still no release date in sight...

15. 1steagle Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 21:48

yes inazuma eleven

16. MatthewONM Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 23:18

Still more hyped for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon than all of these.

And that's fine. What we're trying to do is highlight some of the other interesting games coming to 3DS, you know, for readers who might want try something that's actually new. No point preaching to the converted!

Etrian Odyssey is an absolute gem of a game, about as hardcore an RPG as you're ever likely to play. Tough but rewarding in that same way as Dark Souls and games of that ilk. And Project X Zone is a love letter to three of the most important developers on the planet. These are games worth championing.

17. Tavex Tuesday 19th Feb 2013 at 23:44

These do look like some solid games, but Im surprised Fire Emblem isnt here...it was pretty big in Japan wasn't it? Damn I cant wait to play that game ^^

18. Scraggy man Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 00:26

Project X looks good I wonder if they will try to give it a story like in SSBB or just make it random encounters.

19. tomonm Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 09:23

Okay, perhaps big was the wrong word. This isn't really about the big Nintendo titles. If it was we'd include Mario and Luigi games as they are, y'know, developed by Japanese people. It's more about the cool games that are often released in Japan but don't get championed over here.

20. K-tet Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 10:12

Code of Princess is definitely one I'm going to throw money at. I've been waiting for it for quite a while now. I'll also look to pick up Project X Zone at some point. Of course, I need to throw money at Fire Emblem and both Pokémon games too, and that's without scouting the potential Wii U pick-ups, of which they'll probably all be known at E3 this year.

21. Pokemon Luke Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 10:26

Well Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Would Still Count Because We Never Actually Got The Wii Ware Versions...

22. CraigEmberson Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 10:41

I'm actually more looking forward to the recently revealed revival of Digimon World (called "Digimon World Re:Digitize Decode") - a sequel to the original Digimon World on PS1. Especially when Saban owns Digimon again and is bringing Digimon Fusion to Nickelodeon this year... It has a good chance of being dubbed.

23. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 12:27

Well I think it's great that you're shining the spotlight on these more niche titles, so thank you.
    I can't deny how awesome the mere thought of Project X Zone coming over here is. Although let's face it, Capcom's got the monopoly on Recognisable characters. It looks great too, and I particularly like that characters that are only usually seen as polygons - like Resi's Chris and Jill - are presented as 2D sprites.
    I'm also very interested in Code of Princess. If I wasn't sold before, the mention of multiple playable characters and "Frustrated Penguin style" fighting seals the deal.

@Pokemon Luke, your unique way of typing is making my eyes bleed. For the sake of my retinas, I plead that you stop.

24. wizardgamer94 Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 17:08

Personally I can't wait for Project X zone to come out! Some of the biggest names in gaming all coming together for an RPG scrap? How could it get better :)? I'm particularly looking forward for Dante appearing on a Nintendo console for the first time, although I believe a Devil May Cry game would work wonders on the WiiU. Just giving you an idea Capcom :P

25. Pokemon Luke Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 19:27

sorry, its a habit, i will try to stop...

26. light_goose Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 20:00

Okay, this sounds really dumb but how can an RPG be hard? I mean, I've played a lot of RPGs but you can always just go and level grind for a while and then you're laughing for whatever boss/battle/whatever you want to do. I don't mean to diss anyone but I'm genuinely curious about it.

27. Xenobladeperson Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 21:34

Then why say " 5 big Japanese games" and not just '5 Japanese games?'

28. Waldy565 Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 16:46

Thanks

29. MartinIsAwesome Friday 22nd Feb 2013 at 12:38

Then why say " 5 big Japanese games" and not just '5 Japanese games?'

Does it really matter that much?

30. danbish Friday 22nd Feb 2013 at 13:08

Really looking forward to Project X Zone and I wish they'd hurry up and release it here (I know I'm being a bit impatient today but, meh) and I'm now quite interested in Code of Princess too. Can't say I've heard of it before I read your article.

31. PikachuKJ Sunday 24th Feb 2013 at 02:18

Looking forward to the new Inazuma Eleven game ( enjoyed the first two a lot). Still can't wait for news on Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton and ace attorney 5. Also wish that capcom would release the second edgeworth game. Good article and some interesting news for us to get our teeth into.