F-Zero comes to Wii U this week!

Play the SNES classic on the Wii U Virtual Console in 60Hz

You'll be able to play F-Zero on your Wii U this week. Yes, you can download the US SNES version of F-Zero - which runs at 60Hz - from the Wii U eShop tomorrow.

Despite being a SNES game, F-Zero is being released as part of the Famicom 30th Anniversary series which sees Nintendo releasing a retro classic at a reduced price every month in the build up to the console's 30th anniversary. F-Zero will cost just 30p in the eShop.

If you've never played F-Zero before, the original is a future racer set in the year 2560 in which pilots from across the galaxy risk their lives in a high-speed battle of turbo-charged hovercraft.

This game took full advantage of the Super NES's 'Mode 7' effect that was also used in Pilotwings and Secret Of Mana. It also introduced players to Captain Falcon who has appeared as a playable character in Smash Bros.

Of course, many fans want to play an all-new F-Zero game on Wii U. So far, we've had Captain Falcon's Twister Race in Nintendo Land and now we're getting F-Zero. Still, at 30p, it's hard to turn your nose up at it.

Comments

1. NP Chilla Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 11:28

I've never played this one - at 30p, how can I say no? :D

2. deKay Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 11:28

Waaait - so Nintendo *listened* to the 50Hz complainers?

Surely not?!

3. blockeight Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 11:42

I thought it was out today (20th)?

And are you sure it's 60hz? I'm reading very different reports elsewhere. Happy if it is though.

4. alexkinch Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 11:44

So why not balloon fight in 60hz ?

5. deKay Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 11:46

Because nobody complained about Balloon Fight before it was released?

6. Samster296 Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 11:54

I own F-Zero X on N64 and F-Zero GX on GameCube so I'm looking forward to playing this for only 30p!

7. JoeOdranDoran Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 12:17

The Nintendo website says it's out today (but that the Balloon Fight offer ends tomorrow) However, I'm still sat here waiting for it to appear on the shop!

8. K-tet Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 12:39

The vox populi was heard yet again. First Ubisoft with their Rayman Legends compromise and now Nintendo with this. I was a Pro-60 advocate and have no problem admitting that. The fact my voice was heard among and alongside other Pro-60 advocates gives me (and in turn, all of us) great satisfaction in what we have achieved for the greater good of everyone. Nintendo listened, and have delivered. Now they need to continue delivering on every other game. An update to Balloon Fight would also be nice.

However, while it sounds too good to be true, as long as it is, then that benefits everyone. \o/ Absolute confirmation by means of a comparison test would also seal the deal.

9. row101 Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 12:41

74p left...
    Not sure which two games to buy...

10. Violet Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 13:33

This is amazing, they're releasing a 60hz game on consoles? If this continues I may be inclined to purchase more VC games in future... will Super Metroid get the same treatment?

11. RedDwarf Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 14:07

This game was awesome on the SNES, I loved It and It cost me way more than 30p lol.

12. LewiiG Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 14:37

This is great. 30p. I got a Snes a few months ago. I plan on buying loads of classic games for it. F Zero was going to be one of them.

What do I do? Get it for 30p on the Eshop? Or buy it for 6 from Amazon on Snes? I don't see much point in getting both, Although the eshop one is virtually free, so maybe I will.

13. alexkinch Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 14:52

Impressed that Nintendo listened to the 60hz complaints as I was doubtful. But well done. If my wii vc games I'm going to be paying to upgrade to the wii u get given 60hz treatment this will be worth it.

14. Mello Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 18:18

Is it 60hz only? :(

I realise I'm totally in the minority as most people are either too young to have grown up with it or they're old enough but have been angry about the PAL format since the 80s, but as someone who played the hell out of this game as a kid it'd be weird and slightly alien to hear all the music played at the true speed.

When all the angriness started I was hoping Nintendo might compromise by having a switch which would have been a great inclusion as I'd prefer most games that I grew up with in 50hz but games I didn't in 60hz, but oh well, 30p and all that, and theres always other ways to play the PAL original. It'll probably be nice to try it out as it was intended given that it's already there in Wii mode. :P

Good on them for listening either way.

15. ThePsychicExtrem Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 19:42

I thought you meant a brand new one... Almost had a heart attack