eShop games of the week: Monster Hunter and Castlevania demos, save money on Mighty Switch Force

All this week's Wii U and 3DS downloads

It's a big week on the 3DS and Wii U eShops. Although there is only one new game available for download (NightSky), you can download demos for Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate and Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow - Mirror Of Fate, save money on Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition and buy F-Zero for 30p.

We'll begin with the demos. Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate (Wii U, 3DS: Capcom, free) enables you to play the Wii U or 3DS remakes of Monster Hunter Tri ahead of its 22 March release date. We don't know what is in the demo but the full game features all-new monsters, equipment and weapons and over 200 action-packed quests featuring epic battles with monsters on land and sea.

Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow - Mirror Of Fate (3DS: Konami, free) will be released for 3DS on 8 March but you can sample it this week if you download the free demo. Again, the content of the demo hasn't been revealed but this game is a must-play for all Castlevania fans as it explores the relationship between the Belmonts and Dracula.

Over two decades after Gabriel Belmont's quest to destroy the Lords of Shadow, the Belmont clan once again finds its fate intertwined with evil. Consumed by darkness, Gabriel has now become Dracula and only his ancestors have the power to stop him. So you fight evil across two different eras and help lead Trevor and Simon Belmont as they each battle their own destiny and set out to avenge their family against Dracula.

Also as we've already reported, you'll be able to download F-Zero (Wii U: Nintendo, 30p) for the Wii U Virtual Console. This is the SNES version and, excitingly for fans, will run in 60Hz.

In other Wii U news, Mighty Switch Force: Hyper Drive Edition has been reduced from £8.99 to £4.49 for one week only so if you've never played the original on 3DS, now is the time to download it as it really is an excellent game if you've yet to experience it.

Even better is Trine 2 and you can still download this classic from the Wii U eShop at a reduced price of £9.99 (normal price £13.99) until 7 March.

Finally, we have NightSky (3DS: Nicalis, £8.99) which has been described as an ambient gameplay experience unlike any other. From the publisher that brought us classics such as VVVVVV and La Mulana, NightSky puts you in charge of a sphere which you have to manoeuvre through picturesque worlds. Surely its the only 3DS game with an experimental jazz soundtrack.

Are you going to download any of these games or demos?

Comments

1. deKay Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 12:12

This really is an awesome week. I was expecting Monster Hunter next week for some reason, so that's a nice surprise, and I had no idea a 3DS demo of it was incoming so that's great too.

And Nightsky! Amazing.

2. southendandy Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 12:24

all good news, will defentley get f-zero. but unfortunately my 3ds won't connect to my modem at home.

3. deKay Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 12:41

Try the router instead? :)

4. AaronMclaren Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 12:54

I definitely thought the Castlevania demo was hitting the eShop next week! This is great news :) Definitely picking up F Zero that's for sure!

5. Erdogan44 Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 13:19

ONM, you forgot to mention that 3DS is also getting the Monster Hunter demo.

Can you please change this? May confuse others otherwise.

6. KH81314 Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 14:17

Monster Hunter is the only one I'm downloading.

7. lrwr14 Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 14:31

What time does the eShop get updated? Looking forward to Castlevaina and Monster Hunter.

8. deKay Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 14:36

Usually at about 2pm UK time, but demoes are often there earlier. Going off past experience, the demo(es) might even be up today.

9. deKay Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 14:36

Monster Hunter is the only one I'm downloading.

Why? What do you have to lose by trying the Castlevania demo?

10. legend1992 Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 14:54

Looking forward to downloading the MH3U demo, though I am curious about the one for Mirror of Fate as well - that game's had my attention ever since I first saw the trailers for it. I was expecting that demo to come later though, so it's a nice surprise to have it this week. I'll download the demo for MH3U first, and then if I have anough space left on my SD card after that, I'll have the one for Mirror of Fate as well. I'm new to Castlevania, so I'm hoping for something brilliant :)

11. alexkinch Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 14:54

Thank you boots the chemist for having an 8 gb memory card on sale....

12. GiftedGimp Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 15:52

Good to see more demos appearing, especially since game prices are so high. It's not I begrudge spending the money but I like the re-assurance that I am going to like a game before paying a lot for it.
    With Disc games its not quite so bad as I can trade games if they turn out to be a bit poo to recoupe some of what I've spent, but for the digital downloads, especially the digital download only games there should always be a demo or trial/unlock system. One part of the eShop that is sadly lacking.
    To bo fair to Nintendo, its upto the 3rd party publishers to do demo's for thier games and Nintendo are only responsible for what they publish, and Nintendo probably don't want to upset the 3rd party publishers by insisting they create demos.

13. martynm Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 16:20

Oh great! the eshop wasnt really offering much to me recently but those two demos have me curious...

14. jaco_p Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 17:05

superb! i'll be all over f-zero for 30 pence. Even though it's the worst game in the series in my opinion, still worth a go. Will be getting mh and castlevania demos, nightsky i want just for the jazz soundtrack!

15. Erdogan44 Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 17:17

I'll try both demos, but especially MH3U since I have a pre-order on that.

16. superthingymabob Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 17:24

Getting F-Zero and the demos.
    I wish they'd give us that Fire Emblem demo America got. It's bad enough that we're getting the game 2 months late.

17. Waldy565 Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 18:39

Will download the demos: Castlevania isn't my fave series but this sounds similar to the DS games, and they look good. MH demo because will get maybe a little taste of MH4
    EDIT: Oh, and F-Zero

18. MJTH Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 19:36

Ł4.49 for MSFHD? Well since I have credit already that I wasn't planning using on anything soon anyway, now I have to buy this!

19. TenTen Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 20:08

Getting F-Zero and the demos.

We are getting the Awakening demo, just in April.

20. 3ds234 Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 21:45

I'll get both demos even though i have no interest in getting castlevania when it comes out but it's free so why not?

21. Darkblizz Wednesday 20th Feb 2013 at 23:46

I've never played Monster Hunter before, so I'll be giving that one a try.

22. clayrichards262 Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 00:04

What time do these demos usually release? (EST)

23. RiksilveR Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 09:15

I'm sat refreshing eShop every five minutes waiting for the MH demo; I've waited long enough for some 3DS monster hunting!

24. deKay Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 09:25

What time do these demos usually release? (EST)

9am EST for the UK shop. Er, why are you accessing the UK shop from an EST location?

25. KaptainKrauser Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 13:46

Very good week for the eShop. Will be getting both the demos even though I know I will get their respective games, and NightSky looks quite cool as well.

26. Herbert_Rarr Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 15:08

Is the Wii U's download time estimator accurate for anyone?

27. deKay Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 15:33

Since when has any time indicator on any device ever, ever, been accurate for anyone?

28. Herbert_Rarr Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 15:46

The one on my laptop is about right, to within a few seconds most of the time. The Wii U one says "2 seconds remaining" for about 10 minutes then "under 1 minute remaining" for the last few minutes of the download.

29. Si421 Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 18:09

Can anyone tell me how much content is in the MH3:U demo on Wii U? I'm downloading it now, and just want to know how many hours of play time I should be looking to get out of this. I can't wait for the full game!

I wouldn't worry too much, mine is exactly the same.

Although my Wii U often randomly disconnects itself from the internet. Anyone else had that happen?

30. deKay Friday 22nd Feb 2013 at 08:11

Not since I changed ISP, no.