Watch Dogs Wii U confirmed, watch the trailer for one of 2013's biggest games

Ubisoft's E3 2012 show stealer coming to Nintendo's new console

Watch Dogs has been officially confirmed for Wii U. The game will launch on PS4 this Christmas and will also be released for PS3, Wii U, Xbox 360 and PC but a precise launch date hasn't been officially announced for all platforms.

First showcased at E3 2012, Watch Dogs was hailed by many to be the most exciting game of the show so it's great news that it is coming to Wii U and well as PS4, PS3 and Xbox 360.

We've seen many open world games so what makes Watch Dogs different? Well, you're playing as Aiden Pearce, a new type of vigilante who, with the help of his smartphone, will can hack into Chicago's central operating system (ctOS) and control almost every element of the city.

Aiden will be able to tap into the city's omnipresent security cameras, download personal information to locate a target, control systems such as traffic lights or public transportation to stop a chase, and more.

The trailer below is taken from the PS4 version of the game but gives you an idea of the sorts of things you'll be able to do as Aiden accesses the bank account of a pro-life lobbyist Bobby Tyler and takes some money out of the nearest ATM before stopping a criminal and beating him up. Confusingly he follows this act up by shooting down a police car and going on the run in an Assassin's Creed-style chase. Take a look and let us know if you're looking forward to Watch Dogs.

Warning: The video does include strong language and violence.

Loading video...

Comments

1. silver2010 Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 10:39

This was the only game that made me think wow need a ps4...but of it's on wii u I'm happy :)

2. Robbo-92 Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 10:46

I'm so happy this has been confirmed for Wii U, really shows that some third party developers such as ubisoft are actually committed to new consoles.

3. CyberGW Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 10:50

I'm not gonna get it, but brilliant! More 3rd Party support!
    Who needs PS4 when you can play this is beautiful HD on Wii U? :D

4. laytonluke911 Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 10:50

What about a PC release? I swear to god if it's console only...

5. CyberGW Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 10:51

Unfortunately I don't really think we can say Ubisoft are after Rayman Legends, but I get what you're saying. :lol:

6. Robbo-92 Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 10:54

Why, what's happened to Rayman Legends? :mrgreen:

7. Scraggy man Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 10:56

I'm not gonna get it, but brilliant! More 3rd Party support!
    Who needs PS4 when you can play this is beautiful HD on Wii U? :D

This is what Wii U needs. Keep up the 3rd party and the Wii U will be fantastic. The only fault really of the Wii was the lack of things like this.

8. Nintimdo Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 10:58

seems like a GTA X Assassins Creed game and with the AC series getting old this should be a gr8 alternative

9. Tamzily01 Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 11:12

After seeing this at E3 last year, I honestly couldn't be more excited that it's coming to Wii U. This looks to be another strong 3rd party title for the console.

10. dave666 Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 11:34

forget gta 5

I'm all about this. I am so buying this (for the wii u of course)

11. debris Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 12:26

I thought this was one of the only games that looked interesting from yesterday's PS4 showcase, let's hope it's not a crappy PS3 port and closer to the PC and PS4 version.

But good news that it is coming to WiiU and shows 3rd party support is good.

12. 5OUNDWAVE Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 12:26

not my type of game but this look's unreal , just have to decide what console to get it on !

13. Herbert_Rarr Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 13:56

Why, what's happened to Rayman Legends? :mrgreen:

No-one shall speak of the such.

14. Kirby8 Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 14:44

When I heard this, I was so excited! This game was one of my highlights from E3 2012 and I am so glad that we will be getting the game too! Better come out at the same time as other console UBISOFT......>.>

15. NOM is NOM Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 15:58

This game was screams Wii U, thought so since E3. I hope they actually push the Wii U to it's graphical limits and get it as close to the PS4 as possible rather than just porting the PS360 Versions.

16. KH81314 Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 16:01

Great to see this coing to the Wii U.

17. Gigagator Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 17:11

It seems that almost the entire video game industry is going mad for this title. By that logic, Nintendo should jump on this as an opportunity to start pulling in more core audiences.

I'm talking publicizing the Wii U version at every opportunity and almost certainly, release a Wii U bundle that includes Watch Dogs. Maybe even do some pretty artwork on the hardware that relates to the game.

But, yeah, great opportunity that Nintendo needs to take advantage of.

18. Waldy565 Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 17:19

Oh GOODY, this IS the game I was looking forward to back at E3! So hyped now I know it's this game! I got confused what with Dishonest and Sleeping Dogs announced before and after this was shown

19. Buffalo_K Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 18:38

This game looks brilliant. The concept has never been seen before and it looks like Ubi are doing a good job with it. I was extremely interested in this game during E3, but I stayed away, because I knew that such an awesome game would never hit a Nintendo console. I was proven wrong, and I love it.

20. vix_chan Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 19:23

This is great news, i was going to get this for PS3 anyway, but now i know it will be released for Wii U i shall get it for this system insted (hacking will be much more fun useing the Game Pad)

21. Xenobladeperson Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 21:36

What about a PC release? I swear to god if it's console only...

Pretty sure it's been confirmed for PC for a while.

22. lazy_by_choice Friday 22nd Feb 2013 at 16:22

This game looks heavy!! :D

23. hamzahdsi Friday 22nd Feb 2013 at 17:47

I believe this game could work very well on the WiiU