20 best Star Fox moments

We celebrate the 20th anniversary of Star Fox with your favourite memories of the series

Did you know that it's the 20th anniversary of Star Fox today? Yes, on 21 February 1993, Star Fox was released for SNES in Japan, kicking off an exciting new series that followed Fox McCloud's fight for the Lylat System. Unlike with The Legend Of Zelda and Mario, Nintendo isn't marking Star Fox's anniversary so we thought we'd step in and ask you to share your fondest memories of the series from the original Star Fox (known as Starwing over here) all the way up to Star Fox 64 3D.

Star Fox has had its ups and downs in that time and following Lylat Wars (AKA Star Fox 64), new games in the series have never managed to live up to the hype. You had Rare's Star Fox Adventures which mixed flying with on foot sections and Namco's Star Fox Assault was a bit disappointing. It took Nintendo to remake Lylat Wars for 3DS to show how great Star Fox can be.

Now all we need is for Nintendo, or maybe Retro, to take charge of the series and bring it back to its glory days on Wii U or 3DS. After all, Miyamoto wants it to return

Anyway, that's for the future. On with your memories of the series.

1. Do A Barrel Roll

Nominated by: . Nintendo Ninja, Lottie Childs, Ben Leslie, Sebastian Araneda, Richard Fairbrother

"Shouting "Do a barrel roll" at the top of my voice at any and every opportunity," says Nintendo Ninja This is the one memory that many people have mentioned. Don't blame them. Say Star Fox to some one and they'll immediately feel the urge to shout out Peppy Hare's catchphrase. Pedants will point out that it's only in Star Fox Assault that you perform a barrel roll. It's actually an Aileron Roll in the other games.

Years after Star Fox, Google celebrated the barrel roll. Type Do a barrel roll into Google (actually you only need to type 'do a') and the screen will spin. Awesome.

2. Out Of This Dimension

Nominated by KLMoss: "One of my fave moments has to be getting to the bandit in the Out Of This Dimension stage, I would be blasting it for hours until I won and then playing for more hours to get the "THE END" letters the right way around

Even after all that, I thought: 'why isn't the game restarting?' Then I found out it had to be turned off. Can't believe it's been 20 years, A Star Fox symphony would be great!"

Good point, the music is awesome. Talking of which...

3. The Music

Nominated by: Riverlution, Stefan Matthews

The music in Star Fox games is amazing. Stefan Matthews and Riverlution explain why it means so much to them.

"How can anyone think of a Star Fox game without remembering the breathtaking soundtracks that went with them," asks ONM forum member Riverlution. "The Corneria soundtrack from the original Starwing still reigns as one of the most memorable in video game history. Then Area 6 theme from Star Fox 64 still gets me pumped every time I play that level, it really does emphasize the whole "Final Push" element!"

Over on Facebook, Stefan Matthews says: "The original Starwing was one of my first games I ever had, back in the late 90's before my SNES ended up getting sold. The theme of Corneria was one of the themes of my childhood, and has haunted me ever since. Hearing the recent remake of the theme in Brawl was simply glorious, I had to have a little nostalgic moment to myself.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page

Comments

1. TheSlenderman Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 17:43

Awesome article!
    My fave moment was in star fox 64 3d( the only version I have played), when I managed to get to the secret boss on Corneia (at least, I think that's how it's spelt...). Just little extra touches like that are what changed my perception of this game as a great, but ultimately short game, and made me realise that there was a lot more to it than a cursory look at the map screen would have you know.

2. Mmmyeah Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 19:42

Yeah, I have to agree with the space armada level, it was so awesome, it felt like being in Star Wars!

3. Waldy565 Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 20:29

My best memory - finally getting round to play a game in the series, via SF643D, this Christmas just gone. I found out in 2010 about this game, via you guys (thanks!) and yeah, it is litreally second, only Zelda tops it, as my fave action game! Simply amazing, epic replay value, I'm waiting for a online Star Fox now!

4. Waldy565 Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 20:56

It sounds really cheesy or generic, but Nintendo games really influenced my life also, made me respect what I had, probably cuz of the quality put into them games...

5. Riverlution Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 21:12

I agree with practically every point in this article. So Nintendo.... New Starfox game please? You've got a lot of fans waiting...

6. ledreppe Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 21:18

Thanks for using my comment onm! I'd certainly be happy to se Star Fox return on the Wii U, but only if it had online multiplayer. The 3DS version could have done with it, and that was my main problem with it.

7. WOLFENFTW Thursday 21st Feb 2013 at 21:49

Good to see the Star Fox fans are still out there. We've been deprived of a new Star Fox for seven years, come on Nintendo we've waited long enough, new Star Fox now!

BTW what's peoples opinions on Star Fox Assault. I love it and cant quite decide whether that or Lylat wars is my favourite. I know critics aren't to fond of it so what's the fans opinion?

8. m_lockier Friday 22nd Feb 2013 at 01:29

Clearly you've forgotten the actual best line, the line that will forever be embedded in my mind is Pigma's line "you can't beat me, I've got a better ship". A line that I think about no matter what computer game I'm playing and I'm beating the computer or friends, and on the occasional moment actually saying it out loud. And as for in the Lylatwars game, it is great because he usually says that then the next thing you blow him up. Facing Starwolf has always been fun in both levels of the game.

9. linkmarth29 Friday 22nd Feb 2013 at 09:48

I'm glad there's no Krystal on this list. She ruined the whole team. :evil:

10. JoeOdranDoran Friday 22nd Feb 2013 at 10:37

I want more than anything for Starfox to make a return on the Wii U. Imagine a game in the style of Starwing or Lylat Wars, but with HD graphics, the Wii U's processing power and modern-day level design. That would be amazing.

11. MartinIsAwesome Friday 22nd Feb 2013 at 12:14

There's some great moments on this list. For me it would the same as Chandra's only about Lylat Wars instead of Star Wing.

Anyway, I still can't get over how similar the Corneria theme from Star Wing is to the After Burner theme.

12. toffeeman30 Friday 22nd Feb 2013 at 13:22

you havent got enough scarabs!!!

13. Nintenjoe64 Friday 22nd Feb 2013 at 15:34

This might inspire me to play a bit of Lylat on my Wii U's Wii Channel tonight!

Not sure if that is my 20 best moments but was nice to relive some of the bits I've forgotten. Being helped to escape by your father was awesome. I think Star Fox 64 is never given the credit for what it brought to gaming. Nobody did decent real time cinematic cutscenes in console games before this. It was either horrible slow CD based ones or CGI ones that were equally slow to load. Nintendo need to get Argonaut and Factor 5 back from the dead and bring star fox into this century.