eShop games of the week: Splash Or Crash, Pac-Man

Plus Retro City Rampage hits the Wii shop

It's a mix of old and new this week as Splash Or Clash joins Pac-Man and Retro City Rampage in Nintendo's line up for downloadable games.

We also have a game called Easter Eggztravaganza which surely should have been released at Easter and Reel Fishing: Ocean Challenge.

Splash or Crash (3DS: Nintendo, £2.69) (known as Kersploosh in the US) is reminiscent of Speedthru: Potzol's Puzzle. Here, you're controlling a stone, an iron ball, a jewel and many more objects as they shoot down a well. Each item has different speed and durability and you have to avoid obstacles and stay in one piece until you reach the water at the bottom. As you progress, you'll unlock more items and new, tougher wells. You can also swap high scores with other players via StreetPass.

Pac-Man (3DS: Namco Bandai, £4.49) shouldn't need any explanation. It's the original NES version of the game which means you have to move Pac-Man through mazes, eat pellets and avoid the ghosts.

Easter Eggztravaganza (3DS or DSi: Microvalue, £4.49 or 500 Points) sounds suspiciously like a hidden object game with a few mini-games thrown in. The Easter Wonderland in this game is packed with Easter Eggs, bunnies, sweets and toys.

We're told that Mum takes Mike and Sally to get fresh laid eggs from the farm, then they come home to paint them. That's a painting mini-game, then.

Meanwhile, the Easter Bunny runs past and leaves eggs all over the backyard for them to find. That'll be the hidden object bit.

The family also go downtown to the shopping centre and visit Auntie Janet's house, before going to the nearby church for the ultimate Mega Easter Egg Hunt. Apparently it also features jigsaw puzzles.

Retro City Rampage (Wii: VBlank Entertainment, 1000 Wii Points) brings carjacking into the 8-Bit era. There are over 60 story missions and over 40 arcade challenges, in which you'll be "borrowing" vehicles and outrunning the law while mowing down your fellow citizens. You can jump on pedestrians for coins, or shoot them down with over 25 weapons and power-ups.

Finally, we have Reel Fishing Ocean Challenge Wii: Natsume, 500 Points), a fishing game with over 40 missions and 20 kinds of fish to catch.

Are you going to download any of these games?

Comments

1. BattleGooseUK Monday 25th Feb 2013 at 15:33

I would love to have PacMan for the 3DS, but £4.49 for such an old and basic game feels way too much when it's so much cheaper on iDevices.

2. Slinkington Monday 25th Feb 2013 at 16:12

I'd have bought Retro City Rampage had it been on the 3DS eShop.

Also, I agree with the comment above me. Get a much better and cheaper version of Pacman that you can play across all your iDevices. It's even compatible with the iCade. Either Pacman or Ms. Pacman is anyway, I forget which one it is.

3. deKay Monday 25th Feb 2013 at 16:29

Am I going to download any of these?

Erm, no.

The only one that interests me this week is Pac Man, but the NES version is rubbish compared to the original.

Retro City Rampage interested me 6 months ago when it was supposed to be out. Can't be bothered now.

4. noelnen Monday 25th Feb 2013 at 17:02

I have the original NES version of pacman on my NES but this
    one in the picture is not it. It looks much better on the NES.

5. Dalekbuster523 Monday 25th Feb 2013 at 17:08

The original Pacman game on 3DS? FINALLY!

6. ledreppe Monday 25th Feb 2013 at 17:17

Nothing here for me this week... roll on next week.

7. Choccie Milk Monday 25th Feb 2013 at 17:54

Isn't Runner 2 going to be released tomorrow?

8. sciqueen Monday 25th Feb 2013 at 20:03

That's the ugliest Pac Man I've ever seen!

9. bigterence Monday 25th Feb 2013 at 20:37

Pacman and R C R for me.Do any of the regulars on here ever buy anything?

10. liveswired Monday 25th Feb 2013 at 22:25

I have the original NES version of pacman on my NES but this
    one in the picture is not it. It looks much better on the NES.

Agreed all the HDR lighting is missing from the NES version in that screen shot.

11. liveswired Monday 25th Feb 2013 at 22:32

Pacman and R C R for me.Do any of the regulars on here ever buy anything?

Sometimes......I've purchased around 5 games in total on Nintendo eShop in 2011 and none since. I find the prices are a complete and utter rip off for the content you get.

If Nintendo reduced the prices sales would boom - and we would see a much healthier eShop ecosystem with - I am sure - a lot more developer support - but Nintendo don't want that.

Nintendo are trapped in a timewarp completely oblivious to modern social integration and online distribution. They are awkward, clumsy and try to enforce German rule on all European 3DS owners. It's like some sort of disgusting sick joke and Nintendo HQ are laughing at us all. They would rather sink the ship than survive.

There's at least 10 other games I'd consider purchasing on eShop but I refuse to give Nintendo any more of my money.

12. deKay Tuesday 26th Feb 2013 at 08:16

The original Pacman game on 3DS? FINALLY!

Not the original - the NES version.

13. deKay Tuesday 26th Feb 2013 at 08:37

That's the ugliest Pac Man I've ever seen!

You ain't seen this?

14. deKay Tuesday 26th Feb 2013 at 08:41
  15. deKay Tuesday 26th Feb 2013 at 09:09

Alternatively, I find that the majority are absolute bargains compared to 69p iOS shovelware.

16. jaco_p Tuesday 26th Feb 2013 at 12:39

Retro city rampage looks and sounds ace but pacman nearly 5 whole pounds really?? We're talking about a game that's 33 years old with nothing added to it. Grrr!! if it was 2 pounds id be all over that like a nun sandwich

17. deKay Tuesday 26th Feb 2013 at 13:05

I'd happily pay £5 for the arcade original, or any number of enhanced versions like CE or DX, but not the rubbish NES port.

18. justthetrick.tm Tuesday 26th Feb 2013 at 13:08

Pacman and R C R for me.Do any of the regulars on here ever buy anything?

I tend to be a little too straight forward sometimes, but I like to say a spade is a spade and not beat around the bush...

You're an idiot.

19. justthetrick.tm Tuesday 26th Feb 2013 at 13:11

Splash Or Crash & Retro City Rampage (better late than never) for me :D

20. liveswired Tuesday 26th Feb 2013 at 22:23

You're an idiot.

I'm only pointing out Nintendo's archaic business practice. I think you will find that the only idiot here is the one who relegates to name calling without a counter argument.

21. liveswired Tuesday 26th Feb 2013 at 22:31

But amongst the Shovelware on IOS there are so many top notch titles that drop to 69p all the time and often these top titles feature fully integrated online play, leaderboards and social media integration. I shouldn't need to list them - you can do a quick Google of the best IOS games.

Really - if Nintendo backed eShop up with killer sales, even dropping games to £1.50 - you could easily see 3DS sales rocket up in western territories. This sort of competitiveness will spur support amongst developers and perhaps even encourage them to port titles from IOS to 3DS.

How many of you would love to see the likes of a fully fledged port of IOS star Real Racing 2 on 3DS eShop?

22. deKay Tuesday 26th Feb 2013 at 22:58

I'm yet to find many "top notch" titles on iOS at all, and I've almost 600 games for it...

23. deKay Tuesday 26th Feb 2013 at 23:00

And anyway, 99% of iOS games are short, shallow or those terrible "village" games. eShop games are more like proper games.

Even those iOS games that are "full", console-like games, are marred by terrible touch screen controls.

24. liveswired Wednesday 27th Feb 2013 at 19:36

While I applaud your unwavering loyalty to Nintendo, it is unfortunately due to so many in the same boat as yourself that Nintendo will probably never try to be competitive on the provision of cost or services to it's fans - I was just like you once, Nintendo could do no wrong, even with the price fixing scandals and ripping off their loyal fanbase through the 90s, they really cared.

If the competitiveness of IOS and the quality of its 'top' downloadable games such as Real Racing at bargain prices which are packed full with online connectivity do not meet the rigorous quality or 'proper' game feel you demand and get from titles on Nintendo's eShop I should perhaps point you in the direction of Steam which has 'real' games at 'real' prices.

No matter what Nintendo need to buck up their ideas particularly in their pricing structures if they are to gain credible mainstream support from developers and consumers outside of Japan.

25. deKay Wednesday 27th Feb 2013 at 21:14

Oh, Nintendo can do wrong. There are plenty of things I don't like about them. But their pricing of eShop games? Aside from retail titles, I don't see a problem with them. I'm happy to pay £4.50 for a GBC game I'll enjoy, or £7 for something like Fallblox. They're worth it.

26. deKay Thursday 28th Feb 2013 at 10:24

How timely.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... g-3-review

Definitely don't want that sort of thing anywhere near my 3DS.