Sakurai hopes arm injury won't impact Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS development

"If it never gets fixed, there's no telling what impact that would have on the project."

Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS, perhaps the most eagerly anticipated NIntendo games, could be affected by Masahiro Sakurai's arm injury.

Writing in his regular Famitsu column, Sakurai expressed concern that his RSI could have an impact on the Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS games, despite being developed in collaboration Namco Bandai. It seems his injury is worse that first thought

"I think the one word I've said the most this year, by far, is 'Ow!'. Not only am I getting calcific tendonitis, but they've also found what are apparently several ruptures in the muscles. There's no instant cure for it, so all I can do is either block the pain with injections or put my arm in a cast to keep the ruptures from spreading. I was told that the important thing was to keep my arm as rested as possible."

However, keeping your arm rested when you're busy creating two of the most important Nintendo games is tricky.

"If this disorder lingers, or if it never gets fixed, there's no telling what impact that would have on the project. I've had to control two characters at once in a lot of game projects up to now, so as long as I keep it to simple moves, this works well enough."

He added that he is having issues with the 3DS game, however. "It doesn't go that easy with the Nintendo 3DS version, though, and the debug camera is pretty hard to control. Still, now I realise how important it is to have your health. I'm glad I'm still in good enough shape to work."

Despite the concerns, it's good to know that Sakurai is still in good enough shape to work. We are expecting the first Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS screenshots at E3 2013.

[ Source: Polygon ]

Comments

1. Dark nemisis Thursday 28th Feb 2013 at 09:33

get better and rest, we can wait

2. me4ndubz Thursday 28th Feb 2013 at 09:36

I hope he gets better soon

3. K-tet Thursday 28th Feb 2013 at 10:07

Common sense will tell you that a man is no good to his team if he is injured, incapacitated or dead. Sakurai should rest, even if it means the game is delayed.

Better yet, seeing as he's in charge of proceedings, he should delegate his tasks to people who can run with it so that he can concentrate on getting better. If he wants to be pro-active during development without actually doing development, he should just oversee proceedings and throw his tuppence when needed. He has a highly experienced dev team working on this project, so the room for error even without his presence is minimal.

4. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 28th Feb 2013 at 10:44

Hopefully there will be more comments of support and well wishes than ones complaining about waiting for the games for longer.
    I just hope that Sakurai doesn't feel so pressured into finishing them as soon as possible that he does furthur injury. I expect that Nintendo will allow him to take it easier so he can produce the best game he can with his current health in consideration, even if it means delaying the games release.

5. shy guy 64 Thursday 28th Feb 2013 at 10:50

he should take all the time he needs to recover and not worry about the fans

6. Tamzily01 Thursday 28th Feb 2013 at 11:10

I don't care how long it takes this game to get finished. Sakurai should take as much time off as he sees fit.

7. Scraggy man Thursday 28th Feb 2013 at 11:16

Would rather he rested and the game was delayed, than it being released imperfect.

8. Dark nemisis Thursday 28th Feb 2013 at 12:21

However in saying that there isn't really a 'cure'. His bones are calcifying and becoming rock essentially, useless. Extreme cases are more than often amputated..... maybe you should actually hurry up before it spreads! :|

9. martynm Thursday 28th Feb 2013 at 12:37

Wow, I wish the guy well. In fact, i hope he doesn't push himself too hard on either game to the point of making himself unable to work. Like everyone else says, I hope he gets better. It's his game he's making after all. I trust Sakurai to make a great game. Kirby, Smash and Kid Icarus are the best games I think of fondly so he's one of my favourite developers.

I wish him well!

10. Sex Bob-omb Thursday 28th Feb 2013 at 13:27

He should take time off to recover a man's health is more important than a video game

11. CaptainSnivy Thursday 28th Feb 2013 at 14:11

This has further concreted my belief that SSBB 4 won't come out until late 2014, 2015 at the latest. I honestly could not see coming out before November 2014.

12. Mew3 Thursday 28th Feb 2013 at 15:31

Get well (and release screenshots) soon!

13. ShanNintendoUk Thursday 28th Feb 2013 at 17:12

Hope you get better soon Sakurai!!!

14. PikachuKJ Friday 1st Mar 2013 at 00:10

get better soon. We love your work and hope it will continue for a while.

15. blu fire Sunday 3rd Mar 2013 at 12:12

Mr sakurai if you read this ( Which you probably wont) just rest. We can wait a year or two extra for a smash bros game. But if you become permanantly injured because of this then you may not be able to work again and we wont get another smash bros or kirby or any other projeccts you do. So just take rest. Let your 2nd guy in charge take control for a month or two but just rest. Please. For the sake of Smash bors.