8 incredible Legend Of Zelda facts

Some amazing things we learned from Hyrule Historia

The 29th of January. To the average person, this would just be just another gloomy winter day, but for me, and of course, every Legend of Zelda fan out there, it was so much more. Hyrule Historia had finally been released in Europe.

That morning, I waited hoping that our postman, Barry, would deliver this ever so valuable parcel. Sure enough, just past Noon, I checked the door and the glorious package was nestled between all that unimportant stuff such as energy bills and bank statements.

In a fashion not unlike the infamous N64 Kid, I rabidly ripped open the packaging and yelled manically as I was greeted by the gold emblazoned words: Hyrule Historia. Oh lord, words cannot describe its majesty.

For many of you, it needs no introduction, but for the unenlightened, Hyrule Historia is what Zelda fans have been hoping, nay, begging for. It is an official encyclopaedia of the series, containing many intricate and previously unseen details of the Zelda universe we all know and love. I've had a good read through it and picked out some great bits and pieces to share with you - the facts that I personally thought were particularly cool.

Be warned, there are spoilers of game stories and, obviously, the content of the book itself.

1. Navi in Twilight Princess?

Ilia concept art
Ilia concept art
Early designs for Ilia, Link's sort of love interest in Twilight Princess, showed that she had a marking or tattoo on her head shaped like a fairy from Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask.

Annotations suggest it was depicting none other than Navi, Link's companion throughout Ocarina of Time who went missing after his adventure. Could it have been Ilia was originally an incarnation of Navi, a la Fi and the Master Sword? Navi does appear in the Wii version of Twilight Princess, but only as an icon and plays no part in the story.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page

Comments

1. MartinIsAwesome Friday 1st Mar 2013 at 13:12

You picked some interesting ones, but my favourite is one of the other concept pcitures from Twilight Princess that had a design for Link which looks like it was based on Wind Waker's Toon Link, albiet in a more Twilight Princess colour scheme.

2. LavaTwilight Friday 1st Mar 2013 at 13:38

I'm not a sci-fi fan (far from it) but I did like the sci-fi concept art and would still love to see them use it in maybe the next Zelda game. Perhaps... and just perhaps... they could link (see what I did there) the three timelines together so that Link becomes more than just the Master Of Time, but the Master Of Worlds too! And therein lies the sexy zelda suit... I mean the scifi zelda suit...

...

...the sexy scifi suit :twisted:

3. KH81314 Friday 1st Mar 2013 at 14:01

Really enjoyed Hyrule Historia. What I thought was most interesting was all of the Midna designs.

4. Fidu Friday 1st Mar 2013 at 14:43

Actually, this is the Fairy Queen, not that Great Fairy in the article.

5. JoeOdranDoran Friday 1st Mar 2013 at 16:03

Thanks to the Historia, i've ended up bidding on the old Zelda games on ebay. My bank balance hurts, in a good way.

6. wghtmf Friday 1st Mar 2013 at 16:50

The design on Tingle's back looks like an Arbok.

7. Waldy565 Friday 1st Mar 2013 at 17:59

Need to read the whole article, but I needed to comment! Yeah, I couldn't believe the book when I got it, it IS majestic. I knew number 1, or at least speculated it anyways! Plus this - That morning, I waited hoping that our postman, Barry, would deliver this ever so valuable parcel.
    BARRY! Barry is an awesome name postman :D

---

Little panic attack - I always have my copy of Hyrule Historia close at hand, lost it, found it ;) - just wanted to check up on MartinIsAwesome's fact of the day ;) - knew number 8, and I mis-read number 1. Sorry. Interesting facts, especially with how Midna could've turned out. I mean, she's more mysterious than creepy, due to her ability to become a shadow... sort of... But yeah, thanks guys, gonna check out some little tidbits of info myself!

---

Adding to this, the wolf designs directly below also look very much in the style of Wind Waker.

8. 0010110 Friday 1st Mar 2013 at 19:32

Oh thank you merciful ONM, for using an 'a' in 'encyclopaedia'!!!!!!!!

9. Cinaclov Sunday 3rd Mar 2013 at 17:16

You missed the big one for multiplayer: Links Awakening was going to be. Most of the concept pages on that page reference at least 2 players, with notes along the lines of 'how would one player defeat this?'. That was more of a revelation because it sort of almost went somewhere :P

10. linkmarth29 Saturday 16th Mar 2013 at 18:52

What would it have been like if they had chosen to go with the multiplayer option. That might've changed the whole series. I wonder what a world be like without LOZ games like skyward sword? :cry: