7 unsolved Nintendo mysteries

From Pokemon to Zelda and lots more!

As an avid fan of the TV series Lost, I don't think it's wrong to say that I've seen more than my fair share of unsolved mysteries. As I was thinking about them during what was probably my 67th viewing of the series, for some reason my attention turned to Nintendo gaming. Is there anything out there that remains unexplained? I've had a little dig around and picked out a few things people are still scratching their heads about. Speaking of scratching...

1. Lake Hylia's secret monster?

As many of you will know, in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, there is a small island in the centre of Lake Hylia. There are a few objects of interest on this island, like a warp pedestal and a small shrine, but the most noticeable is a large, dead tree. If you examine this tree closely, you'll notice that there's a huge scratch mark on it, as if it has been viciously clawed at by a large beast. What could have caused it and why?

Strangely, this scratch plays absolutely no role in the plot and no characters make any references to it whatsoever. It's just.. there. Some people have come to the conclusion that it exists to hint to the presence of a large beast nearby. This makes some sense because the island sits on top of the infamous Water Temple, home to the boss, Morpha. There's one small problem with this though, Morpha is actually a giant amoeba. Last time I checked, amoebas don't have claws, in fact, they don't really have much of anything.

In the 3DS remake, the scratch isn't there, implying this little detail wasn't of enough significance to carry over. It does make you wonder though...

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page

Comments

1. Lewis Daisley Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 07:25

WHY IS IT SO HARD TO PUT THEM ON 1 PAGE!?!?!?! :evil:

2. BlackAce_2121 Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 07:31

it can be quite annoying and fun when this sort of this thing happens, fun because you start to think what was the original design an can start imaging a whole alternate story line, but it can be annoying to because you spend hours looking for what it does. but all in all it adds a surten charm to a game thinking of how the thought train of the developers. :D

3. ChipsNGravy Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 07:46

Some great ones here. The tree scratch in OOT is something that baffles me. I mean, you could easily think of a reason for it being there, but nothing really plausible. And the fact it was removed for the remake is weirder still. Could have been a hint to a previous idea they had for the water temple.

But here's a though: It could be Kaepora Gaebora getting a little over excited and making a bad landing. Hehe. OR maybe it's the Hylian Loach from the fishing pond, it finally made it's escape one day.

4. torterratrainer Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 07:57

WHY IS IT SO HARD TO PUT THEM ON 1 PAGE!?!?!?! :evil:

Now i Know it's just to clear up the page and make it more professional looking but Ii couldn't agree more. The constant loads should be replaced with a massive scroll-able page.

5. kingdra king Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 08:01

The white rock...well...it's a white rock ,simple

But the the biggest unanswered question..,WHERE'S F-ZERO GONE! :twisted:

6. shy guy 64 Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 09:33

there's also the "pra-mai" data found in brawl

7. CDS Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 09:35

Amazing mysteries of Nintendo here.
    Good read. But I have one.
    How do the Mii's drive the cars around Wuhu island when the cars are bigger than them?

8. Tamzily01 Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 09:39

there's also the "pra-mai" data found in brawl

There's a lot of content in Brawl that was unused, but still found in the code. Characters, music, etc. The Plusle & Minun tag team is just one of them.

9. GloverMist Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 09:50

Amazing mysteries of Nintendo here.
    Good read. But I have one.

Even better, how does King Boo drive with no legs and barely any arms?!

10. shy guy 64 Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 09:51

there's also the "pra-mai" data found in brawl

i know that

the mystery is that know one knows for sure weather or not it was unused data plulse and minun (like dixie) or simply data for the random box

11. DarkBladeXIII Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 09:53

I always wondered about the claw marks on the tree, and i heard from a friend about the figures in ShiverBurn galaxy and i disregarded the white rock almost instantly when i realised it was just a rock, but now this has got me thinking all over again... it seems even nintendo has some secrets it wishes to hide :/

12. PhineasFerbStyx Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 09:59

Amazing mysteries of Nintendo here.
    Good read. But I have one.

Even better, how does King Boo drive with no legs and barely any arms?!

I believe that the official Mario Kart Wii strategy guide answered this question. Two words.

Tongue. Power.

13. VinceLovesToast Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 10:37

WHAT ABOUT THE APPARENT MEW UNDER THE TRUCK!

14. ollieplaysretro Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 11:13

I think the tree markings were an oversight during development (a lake based boss battle?) or the tree was in another place in the game that originally made more sense before being moved to the middle of Lake Hylia. The chances are that the 3DS developers were requested to remove the markings as they had no bearing on the game. :D

15. ollieplaysretro Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 11:15

Super Mario Galaxy 2 has some weird enemies and whatnot in it. Is it a possibility that those creepy silhouettes are actually trees, as the texture file's name suggests? :)

16. MartinIsAwesome Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 12:01

1) In all the times I've played Ocarina of Time I have never actually noticed those scratch marks on the tree. It was probably just a leftover idea that they forgot to take out, hence why it was fixed for the remake.

2) I think that it's just a special touch that the development team left in as a sort of hidden extra for observant players to discover.

3) It probably was included for a reason involving a legendary Pokemon (like Ilex Forest shrine in Pokemon G/S/C) but never fully realised.

4) I think there's a bigger mystery with this one, like why did people call him "Marty"? I'll admit it did freak me out a little bit when I first played it as a kid, and I even tried to free it by using weapons on the bars. Nothing worked so I just figured it was for aesthetics.

5) I'm pretty sure its just for atmosphere. The yellow gunk is probably just some secretion from the bugs that fed of him.

6) I've never played that game, but it does seem a it too ornate for it not to have had some purpose originally. It probably went the same way as the Ice Key in Banjo-Kazooie.

7) Clearly a practical joke and an example of weird Japanese humour. It reminds me of the weird password secrets from Sonic CD. (http://info.sonicretro.org/images/2/24/ ... ctures.PNG)

17. Baker1000 Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 12:22

Loved the Lost reference. Super-fan over here! (and a satisfied one). If you ask me though, those guys stalking you in SMG2 are the Others.

18. retrotoad Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 13:28

Sabre Wulf was responsible for the scratch marks on the tree.

(I don't know how I came to that conclusion).

19. olrodlegacy Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 13:39

Very interesting article. Makes me want to replay all of these now...

20. Buffalo_K Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 13:44

Love the X-Files :3

21. shadowlugia101 Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 13:50

i don't know about anyone else, but would anyone love the idea of those stalkers in shiverburn galaxy to be the next villains if they did a super Mario galaxy 3?

22. Redfish20 Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 14:01

It's not custard, it's cerebral fluid. That or heavily censored blood much like the green stuff in Castlevania.

23. KH81314 Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 14:40

Wonder what they were planning on doing with all of these.

24. cm29 Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 14:42

Another one would be the mysterius black ship in Pokemon Black White series.

25. Captain Kuchiki Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 16:32

Here's one:
    If the story of Mew being secretly added into Pokémon Red and Green by Shigeki Morimoto are true, then how come Mewtwo is called Mewtwo and how come it was referenced in Cinnabar Mansion? And how come Mew was the first Pokémon related trademark that was registered?
    Also, what about Missingno? How come it even has its own, non-glitchy names (in both English and Japanese)?

26. wghtmf Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 16:38

That would be cool. By the way, does anybody else think they look like Minecraft's Endermen?

27. IG-42 Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 17:31

you forgot diglett

28. Spyrolad Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 17:39

"who are you running from?" terrified me as a child. I never touched my gameboy camera after that out of fear.

29. 9 Times Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 19:51

Here's one:

I think Mewtwo back then was like how Genesect is today. An enhanced, super powered version of a extinct species or creature that you never actually see in the game, and is only mentioned (in a Pokedex entry or diary etc.). So when they ACTUALLY added 'Mew' it was a secret super rare original Mewtwo, without the two in the name.

30. Argenthor Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 20:26

At the time, the biggest mystery for me was the GS ball in pokemon. Sure now we can look at what they wanted to do with it,but at the time....?!?!

31. Twinkle Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 21:30

CDS wrote:
    Amazing mysteries of Nintendo here.
    Good read. But I have one.

GloverMist wrote:
    Even better, how does King Boo drive with no legs and barely any arms?!

Haha! Thats really funny! Its true though. How can you expect King Boo to drive with no legs and barely any arms? These mysteries were quite interesting, especially the Mario Galaxy one. Freaky things looking at you! I wouldn't be able to take that! :D The OOT mystery of the scratch sounds interesting too and the mossdeep white rock. I wish it had something to do with a legendary pokemon.

32. Twinkle Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 21:33

Yeh that would seriously be interesting. And another mystery to solve! :wink:

33. alexkinch Saturday 9th Mar 2013 at 21:58

2 biggest in my eyes are why the weird back on a wii classic controller and why warrior ware twisted never got a europe release.

34. GloverMist Sunday 10th Mar 2013 at 10:35

Even better, how does King Boo drive with no legs and barely any arms?!

Tongue. Power.

You have just solved one of the greatest mysteries ever. I have no other purpose.

35. KaptainKrauser Sunday 10th Mar 2013 at 10:44

Whilst this is an interesting feature, I do think that some entries (dead soldier, white rock) are just harmless pieces of scenery not deserving of such conspiracy theories. However, the 'who are you running from' thing is inarguably terrifying.

36. Layton link Sunday 10th Mar 2013 at 11:54

Great article,nintendo really does have some very...odd mysteries.
    Iv never actually seen the one with oot,il have to look at that later..
    The ghostly figures in super mario galaxy 2..that one has always haunted me,I mean..what were they planning with those sprites? ..its just creepy.
    And my god..the one with the gameboy camera..that was just shocking..I mean that was just horrible..
    Seriously nintendo...what are you planning with these things?

37. Amy Jackson Monday 11th Mar 2013 at 05:36

What about the mysterious hole in the celling? Zelda Ocarina. This hole is located in the Goron's Chiefs room. Its just a big square hole in the celling. I always wonder if you were suppose to drop in the room instead of using the ocarina of time's melody. Like, they just decided to change it half way through development and forgot to fix it. Its the very last level in Goron's city or cave. It's not like it's a window; meant for sun rays to shine down. The Chiefs is standing there; mad when you enter the room. He doesn't fall from the hole. There is no one in the room when you come back as adult Link. I'm not sure if its still there in the remake for 3DS. So, what's the deal? Did Nintendo think that no one would look up?

38. Zaphod_B Monday 11th Mar 2013 at 09:31

Good read this, congratulations.

39. Version10 Saturday 6th Apr 2013 at 16:58

Those smg2 stalkers look a bit like endermen

40. XxJH5029xX Sunday 7th Apr 2013 at 21:33

i have figured out the figures is super mario galaxy 2.

in japanese legend there are creatures called kradins or something like that.
    they live in trees and look like the figures in shiver burn galaxy, they are also found in some tres at the end of world 4-4. there file name is hell trees, so i belive them to be kradins because so musch evidence points towards them. ;)