Zelda: Link's style is the thing we struggle with the most - Miyamoto

Shigeru Miyamoto on Hyrule Historia

Shigeru Miyamoto has said that Nintendo struggle with the design of Link when creating new Zelda games.

It seems that determining Link's style - which has changed throughout the years - for each game takes a lot of time.

Flicking through the pages of Hyrule Historia, Miyamoto told MTV: "Probably the thing we struggle most with when we're developing each game is what style Link is going to appear in. I think being able to showcase that and also the timeline itself - certainly the stories of each individual game are important but Zelda is also the series where we've paid the most attention to how the games piece together in that timeline. So being able to share that was great."

Nintendo are currently working on two Zelda games, each of which looks to have a very different style. First you have the HD remake of The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker, the game that introduced us to Toon Link.

Then you've got Zelda Wii U. All we've seen so far is a tech demo but back in 2011, Eiji Aonuma said that fans should expect many changes from this.

Which style of Link is your favourite?

Comments

1. Spyrolad Monday 11th Mar 2013 at 11:40

Twilight Princess Link was my favourite.
    If I'm honest I'm happy as long as his hair isn't pink...

2. IamtheAntiLife Monday 11th Mar 2013 at 12:12

It's a knock up for me between Twilight Princess Link and Skyward Sword Link. I hated Link's Awakening Link. I remember the artwork in the manual he didn't have trousers on. That was always weird.

3. MartinIsAwesome Monday 11th Mar 2013 at 12:34

I know that Nintendo are always looking forwards with the Zelda series, but I personally would like to see the older designs come back, like his appearance from A Link To The Past or the Oracle games, or even the first game's Link.
    It'd also be nice if prehaps they dug out some of the dropped designs that we've seen in the Hyrule Historia.

EDIT: Also, anyon else fancying playing as sexy Link from Dynasty Warriors?

4. toffeeman30 Monday 11th Mar 2013 at 13:17

rather have a more adult link, especially if its a hd game

5. shy guy 64 Monday 11th Mar 2013 at 13:19

you forgot the zelda 3ds game the're working on

6. ToxicJosh Monday 11th Mar 2013 at 13:59

Given that we're getting a Wind Waker remake, I would expect the next new Zelda game to have a more realistic, 'adult' Link to provide some variety.

Ultimately, though, Zelda games have always been about gameplay for me, if they get it right the graphics could all be stick figures and I'd be happy.

7. Commandervideo Monday 11th Mar 2013 at 14:07

Tech demo Link is my favorite style. :P Make it happen Nintendo!

8. Miguel Sanchez Monday 11th Mar 2013 at 15:30

I'd love to see a female Link, personally, or the option to choose which gender. It'd at least give you some subtle differences when you want to replay the game in Master Quest.

9. 1singie Monday 11th Mar 2013 at 16:08

Tech demo Link is my favorite style. :P Make it happen Nintendo!

yes, its quite simple nintendo!! :D

10. liveswired Monday 11th Mar 2013 at 17:49

Personally as a long term Zelda fan, adult Link from the awesome Wii U tech demo would do nicely.

Stop wasting time Nintendo when you already have the perfect model - make the damn game!!!

11. concernedcamel Monday 11th Mar 2013 at 18:06

I want another dark trippy ominous zelda like majoras mask with creepy characters and hidden meanings in the plot as for style go for a more advanced version of what the n64 versions were going for but with HD graphics.

12. IPecksU Monday 11th Mar 2013 at 20:49

I wanna see a story of the hero of time Link post Majora's Mask. See him develop into adulthood and into old age. I'd love to see how he ended up as a skeleton dude in Twilight Princess.

13. Twinkle Monday 11th Mar 2013 at 21:26

I prefer the Twilight Princess Link as he looks way more realistic and amazing!

14. liveswired Monday 11th Mar 2013 at 21:26

EDIT: Also, anyon else fancying playing as sexy Link from Dynasty Warriors?

Far too poofy looking to be Link.

15. theguygamer Tuesday 12th Mar 2013 at 10:42

Personally speaking, I don't mind. Toon and 'Real' Link both come from games of the same high quality, so to quote what ToxicJosh said:

16. KH81314 Tuesday 12th Mar 2013 at 19:21

I think that Skyward Sword Link was the best but as long as its an adult Link I'm fine since were already getting toon link for wind waker.

17. retrogeezer Tuesday 7th May 2013 at 12:40

I agree Link should be in a style of Twilight Princess but not too dark and an adult form rather than a cartoon. If I wanted cartoons i'd play Epic Mickey 2. It's a disaster that for Zelda fans that TWO years after the original preview for this game that it is not available. The same thing happened on the PS3 for Grand Tourismo 5 and sales suffered as players bought other titles and stuck with those series. I'm not saying Zelda when it does come will be a failure but I can confidently say that by the time it is released gamers will be playing on the PS4 and sales will suffer of this long awaited Zelda, like I said in an other forum Nintendo will not release TWO Zelda games for the same machine in a year.