Pokemon Rumble U to support Wii U NFC

Buy Pokemon figures for the Wii U eShop game

Pokemon is the first Nintendo franchise top support NFC on the Wii U. Yes, Pokemon Rumble U will feature NFC, meaning players will be able to buy collectible Pokemon figures from the shops and transfer them into the game using the Wii U GamePad's NFC reader.

Pokemon Rumble U has yet to be confirmed for release in the UK but it will launch in Japan on 24 April. On the same day, fans will be able to buy figures in Pokemon Centers for 200 Yen (around £1.40) and transfer them into the game. The game itself will cost 1,800 Yen (around £12.50) to download from the Wii U eShop.

There are 649 Pokemon in the game but just 6 standard figures and 1 Special Figure will go on sale on launch day. Pikachu is the only toy to have been confirmed so far. You can train these figures and record your battle information on them.

CoroCoro magazine also lifted the lid on the story - toy Pokemon are lost after they fell in a river and you have to help them return to the toy shop. Along the way you'll have to battle various bosses, including Chandelure.

What do you think about Pokemon NFC on Wii U? Are you happy that Pokemon Rumble U is the first Wii U game to utilise NFC?

[ Source: Serebii ]

Comments

1. TomMc92 Wednesday 13th Mar 2013 at 09:21

I was wondering when Nintendo would finally make use of the NFC and Pokemon is the best series for it. I like the idea of storing the information on the figure making it different for each person. Also being able to use the figures of my favorite pokemon in game is exciting news. I really want a Larvesta, Porygon, Lucario, Manaphy & Glaceon. Wonder when we'll get a release?

2. KH81314 Wednesday 13th Mar 2013 at 09:42

Pokemon sounds perfect for this. Depending on how many figurines they release and how much they cost you might need to win the lottery.

3. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 13th Mar 2013 at 09:54

Only 12.50 for the game, and under 1.40 for each figure?! That's a bargain compared to Disney Inifinity's price tags.
    That said, if you're planning to buy every single one of them it will set you back 908.60 - so just over 90 short of a Grand.

4. tomonm Wednesday 13th Mar 2013 at 10:11

I would say that this is a Wii U eShop game while Disney Infinity is a full price title. It is expensive but each Playset is said to deliver 8 hours of gameplay. There are three Playsets in the Starter Pack and they all offer different styles of gameplay. You've also got the Toybox stuff on top of that. So you will get a varied experience.

Pokemon Rumble games are button bashers and can get repetitive so you can really compare the two when it comes to price. That said, I'm pleased the figures aren't expensive.

Also, there are only seven figures at launch. Not 649.

5. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 13th Mar 2013 at 10:53

At launch, yeah. But if they did go as far as to produce figures for every pokemon, that's how much you can expect to pay if you're a collector.

As for the Disney Infinity comparison, I you're totally right and I missed the point a tad. Still, those are the 'playsets' your're talking about, and fair enough that they add extra 'games' to the title, but what about the other character figures. I may be wrong (again) in saying this, but from my understanding a single additional character figure will cost about 12 each. It may be more advanced than a button-masher like Pokemon Rumble, but that is quite a margin.

6. tomonm Wednesday 13th Mar 2013 at 10:57

Don't get me wrong, Disney Infinity will cost a lot of money if you collect everything but it's probably that it will offer more than Pokemon Rumble. Whether it's worth it, we'll have to wait and see.

I would be surprised if they released all 649 Pokemon as figures.

7. Guybrush20X6 Wednesday 13th Mar 2013 at 10:59

I hope they release the figures over here. I don't want it to end up like the e-reader and Japan getting all the extras while we get none.

8. jemm33 Wednesday 13th Mar 2013 at 11:03

:D yeah this sounds great,my wife and i are great pokemon fans which transfered to our kids,we can already see the figures on my son's bookcase.
    Would probably have bought them without a game,so happy faces all round.

9. CraigEmberson Wednesday 13th Mar 2013 at 12:06

Don't count on it - usually when a Japanese game comes west, it gets converted and more is added to the price. I'd expect the game to be around 15-20 and the toys to be 3.99-4.99 over here.

10. Waldy565 Wednesday 13th Mar 2013 at 12:13

Seems legit - I'm not a big rumble fan but this could work well. I'll be interested to see how many of the 649 pokemon are represented (200 yen x 649 = 129800 yen or 908 POUNDS 72 PENCE! WHAT!) haha

11. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 13th Mar 2013 at 12:15

I did think about that, and it sucks that it is the case. I fancied crunching the numbers so I just based it on those given prices.
    I don't know why though, I won't even be getting it if it does come over here XD

12. PeterR Wednesday 13th Mar 2013 at 13:21

Well i'm up for that. Hopefully the price will be kept similar, no more than 2 or 3 would be nice. Also if the same figures were used in other Pokemon games that would be great, you could get really fond of a little team of figures kept for generations. Also yes if you wanted every one it would be expensive but that's what you'd expect from buying 649 toys (i realise that's not the case at launch) and you'd get a pretty awesome collection even if you just got your favorites.

13. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 13th Mar 2013 at 13:38

Long as the figures are about 2 or 3,I'll happily buy them.

14. IPecksU Wednesday 13th Mar 2013 at 15:35

Respect for pokemon franchise...fading....

*looks at x and y* There's hope....

15. Wiimote Wednesday 13th Mar 2013 at 15:56

Think Nintendo read my mind as I actually thought about this yesterday.

16. danbish Wednesday 13th Mar 2013 at 16:11

Pokemon = Nintendo's licence to print money.

With the ridiculous amount of money this'll make, surely Nintendo would then have enough to buy Britain ??

17. GloverMist Wednesday 13th Mar 2013 at 16:20

It DOES support NFC! I predicted something right for once! :D As for the price, it seems cheap enough to me. I strongly doubt they'll release all 649 as figures, that would be ludicrous, right?!

18. Argenthor Wednesday 13th Mar 2013 at 17:45

I would be surprised if they released all 649 Pokemon as figures.

Still.... not bad pricing!

19. OrangeRakoon Wednesday 13th Mar 2013 at 17:55

Pokemon using NFC

IT BEGINS #2012

20. Xenobladeperson Wednesday 13th Mar 2013 at 18:11

I am so happy that Game Freak is following in the footsteps of Activision.

21. TheNUKEnukeM Thursday 14th Mar 2013 at 17:34

Thing is, your not going to buy every single one. If they did release them all you would only buy your favrouites. And 1.40 for each pokemon is quite good isnt it. 6 would cost 8.40- so you might as well just buy your pokemon team.