Smash Bros Wii U will try to deal with online problems of Brawl - Sakurai

Smash Bros creator wants people to have fun fighting online

Masahiuro Sakurai wants to make Smash Bros Wii U more fun to play online than Super Smash Bros Brawl. Writing in his Famitsu column, Sakurai highlighted the issue of players going on the defensive which results in fights are are "not interesting or fun."

Sakurai wrote his column in response to a letter from a fan who complained that everyone was taking the approach of waiting for the other player to go on the offensive and no one was playing with items.

Sakurai admitted that this isn't how he thought Brawl would be played online and will be looking to find a solution with Smash Bros Wii U.

"The idea of Brawl's 'carefree brawling' motto was to get rid of as many restraints as possible and allow people to choose whatever play approach they liked," he wrote. "I'd like people to take some freer approaches with their gameplay, but the sort of battle style you describe in your letter is not interesting or fun. That's why I'll probably be thinking of a way to deal with that in the next game. We've learned a lot about net play since Brawl was released, after all, so a lot more is possible.

"I suppose the fact that we've still got no-fee online battles available in a game that was released five years ago is another cause of the problem. It would have been nice if we could have revised the game rules as appropriate, but with the system we had, that wasn't possible."

Have you had a similar experience of playing Brawl online. What do you want from Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS online?

[ Source: Polygon ]

Comments

1. Waldy565 Thursday 14th Mar 2013 at 10:14

While I agree I can have matches where, to me, it seems they're are 2 people working together and they don't battle each other and just team up on me (likely, as the smash bros online community can be like a wasteland) and sometimes me and someone else. However, I can also get battles where items are on and they're is 4 people going all out on each other having a really good time! I can't really comment on what I want to see from Smash Bros 3DS and Wii U, however, I'm making a video as I type about who I'd like to see next in Smash Bros

2. shy guy 64 Thursday 14th Mar 2013 at 10:30

that's good news for people who like to play online

3. martynm Thursday 14th Mar 2013 at 10:54

i agree with Sakurai. they're no fun to watch either...

4. lminett Thursday 14th Mar 2013 at 12:16

When i first played online the games were good, the reason i stopped was because of the lag issues, you just can't play smash bros brawl with lag. I won pretty much all my games online even with lag but then it becomes a game of pre-emting.
    I didn't even know people still played online.

5. strykers82 Thursday 14th Mar 2013 at 12:26

Are you kidding me? The online Brawl was terrible! Too much lag and very disappointing. All the other thing there talking about really didnt matter. I just wanted to play the game but couldnt because of lag and broken frame rates. I love Smash bros and I really do hope they fix that problem.

6. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 14th Mar 2013 at 14:11

Can anyone make sence of his last statement, or am I just being stupid:

Why would "no-fee battles" be bad for the online mode? Does it have another meaning besides being free to play?
    Again, apologies if I'm just being incredibly dim.

7. Bigtime Thursday 14th Mar 2013 at 14:34

^No, that's exactly what I thought...

8. thenintendoer Thursday 14th Mar 2013 at 18:33

good hopefully theyll be able to fix that up as that was really the only problem i found with the last one(too bad it was a big problem)

9. carnivine chaos Thursday 14th Mar 2013 at 20:47

Should be a Tournament mode and a Scrub mode. By Tournament, I don't mean the "tournament mode" that exists, I mean 3-stock, no items, neutral stages only, no Metaknight (although, of course, a lot of this may not apply in Smash4), though online tournaments could be quite cool to see as well held every now and then. Then of course in Scrub, anything goes: Items, Hanenbow, whatever, go crazy!

10. SuperJonnyMario Friday 15th Mar 2013 at 11:40

Just remembered that Namco is helping with the project, and I know their online with Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Edition is good. I could take one someone with 2 bars to full, 1 I would just ignore. Hope Namco can help out the online systems of the game. :)

11. MatthewONM Friday 15th Mar 2013 at 12:08

But isn't this exactly the point? Sakurai makes Smash bros to be this mad burst of anything goes combat. I think it's wrong to call this kind of play 'scrub' as if it's an inferior game. I'd call it 'Smash Bros' and I'd call what you describe as tournament play as 'killjoy Smash Bros.' Everything is in the game for a reason and people shouldn't be made to feel inferior for enjoying the game Sakurai deliberately made for them.

12. MartinIsAwesome Friday 15th Mar 2013 at 16:29

I'm inclined to agree with Mr. Castle on this one, although there's room for both styles of play. Certainly, batting around terms like "scrub" and "killjoy" aren't in the spirit of fun.

13. carnivine chaos Saturday 16th Mar 2013 at 02:02

Scrubs ARE inferior players since they're not as good. There's nothing wrong with that, but there is a clear separation in the two styles and I think it should be acknowledged to cater toward both casual and hardcore gamers. Think of it this way: With the layout I suggested, casual players can have fun playing with other casual players and not play against hardcore gamers who would just destroy them. Some people don't like getting beat down constantly and hopelessly. There's nothing wrong with being a scrub, there's just a big difference.

14. DragonEleven Wednesday 20th Mar 2013 at 11:56

I never really had any problem with the online gameplay itself, as regardless of the items/stages/characters I would always just adjust my style to fit, and found that to be part of the fun of it.
    The only thing that kept me from playing online more was the lag, which definitely need to be fixed... almost every other online match in Brawl had lag for me, but it often seemed to just be one person with a bad connection causing it (on more than one occasion would have a badly lagging match, then one person would disconnect and there would be no lag at all).

As for other peoples thoughts of the items/stages/characters thing... perhaps they could implement some kind of preferences system where you could select a set of items, stages and characters you want to play with, and you'd be matched up with others who selected the same (or at least similar) preferences... this would obviously need some sort of time-out, so that you don't have to wait too long, before filling any empty spaces with people that didn't select any preferences. Plus, they could add different sets to choose from based on feedback through the Miiverse, and even add limited period event sets, such as to celebrate a new game release.

15. parasky Wednesday 20th Mar 2013 at 18:38

The on-line problems in Brawl were degrading to the rest of the experience, so it's good that they're going to fix them.

Then again, why would anyone in the development team even say this when the on-line shouldn't have been as bad as they were.