Cult County is Renegade Kid's most ambitious eShop game yet

First details on Renegade Kid's religious first-person shooter

Renegade Kid has released Mutant Mudds, Planet Crashers and Bomb Monkey (US only) through the 3DS eShop but first-person shooter Cult County is the studio's most ambitious game yet.

The first episode in this three-part series of first-person shooters will be released this year and studio co-founder Jools Watsham has told Nintendo Force that this is a game that simply wouldn't have been possible on DS.

Little is known about the game so far, but we're told that it will have religious themes as while searching for a relative you've lost contact with, you arrive at a west Texas town tied up with a cult and you won't know who to trust.

"It is not our intention to make a statement about any of the existing religions or impose our beliefs on anyone," Watsham told Nintendo Force.

The first episode will offer four hours of action with Watsham promising a mixture of tension and action in a game that features "detailed environments that would not have been possible on the DS."

Each episode will also end on a cliffhanger, meaning you'll need to buy all three if you want to follow the story.

Watsham added that releasing Cult County is the ultimate test for the studio and could influence their future projects. "The release of Cult County will be the ultimate test for us of whether we can develop an ambitious title for the Nintendo eShop market and be financially successful. The result of this game will help guide our future development efforts."

Are you a fan of Renegade Kid's games? Are you looking forward to Cult Country?

[ Source: NintendoEverything ]

Comments

1. vix_chan Monday 25th Mar 2013 at 09:28

Interesting and looking good so far.

Would this mean that "the binding of Isaac" could later be on the table also (a game that was never released for 3DS because of "religious" issues?)

2. OXM Joe Monday 25th Mar 2013 at 09:52

Interesting and looking good so far.

Oh man, I hope so. That game is absolutely fantastic. It's getting a console remake later this year so, barring exclusivity deals and any bad blood from the last time, it's not unfeasible.

3. angrybaldman666 Monday 25th Mar 2013 at 09:59

Looks like it could be good and if this works there could be more FPSs come out and more games using the CPP. But I saw a review of ATV Wild Ride 3D one of their last games that I had high hopes for but which had lots a problems they should patch this game first and and get it working right and released in the UK before working on a new game. I hope that this does not turnout the same a game that could have been very good but does not work because it is broken. We will just have to wait and see.

4. MartinIsAwesome Monday 25th Mar 2013 at 11:28

I remember previous Renegade Kid first-person games for the DS (Dementium: The Ward, Moon, Dementium II) being well received by past ONM staff. I wouldn't be suprised if this game was an evolution of those titles, although with it being episodic I'm curious as to wether it might get a "box-set" for retail if the individual games do well.

5. BlackMageMario Monday 25th Mar 2013 at 11:38

I'd love to see the Binding of Issac remake on the 3DS - I have the original on Steam with the Wrath of the Lamb DLC and I love it (although I've never killed Mom - the game is really really hard). I also don't see how it wouldn't get onto the 3DS because of "religious" issues - besides the enemies, religion is only mentioned at the start and even then it's not basing religion or anything - it seems to me that it's just a story of Issac's imagination.

- BlackMageMario

6. dunc247 Monday 25th Mar 2013 at 12:56

There are multiple religious references throughout BOI ...many depend on your interpretation, but they exist fo' sure. Would certainly love to see it on 3DS :P

7. ledreppe Monday 25th Mar 2013 at 12:57

Looking at some of the titles that Renegade Kid have releases so far, I'd hope Cult Country isn't hair tearingly hard. I'd like to keep what hair I have left, and I wont play this if it's excrutiatingly hard.

8. jaco_p Monday 25th Mar 2013 at 13:17

Interesting and looking good so far.

get thyself to steam everyone as it's currently available for 99pence(!!!!!)
    would still d/l it for 3ds though but i doubt it will happen.
    super meat boy was supposed to come over to wiiware also but didn't happen because of nintendo's restrictive file size limit

9. KaptainKrauser Monday 25th Mar 2013 at 19:46

This could be cool, as I would like more FPSes on my 3DS. Let's hope it doesn't suck like Planet Crashers.

10. fisher2007 Monday 25th Mar 2013 at 21:40

Interesting and looking good so far. 8)