Wii U Virtual Console launch games confirmed for UK, launches on 27 April

There is just one day to go until you can play Super Mario World on your Wii U GamePad. Yes, the Wii U System Update has gone live which means, as promised, the Virtual Console will follow a day later on 27 April. As well as confirming the release date, Nintendo has also confirmed the list of launch games for the UK and Europe.

Here's what you'll be able to download for your Wii U from 27 April.

Wii U Virtual Console launch games

• Super Mario World
  • Excitebike
  • Mario's Super Picross
  • F-Zero
  • Ice Climber
  • Donkey Kong Jr.
  • Punch-Out!!

This is slightly different from the US Wii U Virtual Console launch line-up which includes Kirby's Adventure but not Mario's Super Picross. This makes sense as Kirby's Adventure is currently available for 30p as part of the Famicom 30th anniversary celebrations.

Aside from Mario's Super Picross, all the downloads are the US versions of the game, meaning they'll run at 60Hz rather than 50Hz as was the standard when they were originally released in the UK.

Nintendo say that Pac Man, Super Metroid and games from the Mega Man, Street Fighter and Super Mario Bros. series will be available soon, and popular Game Boy Advance and Nintendo 64 games will also be added in the future.

As for the price of these games, NES games will cost £3.49 while SNES games are £5.49.

If you've already downloaded them for Wii, you won't have to pay the full price to download them again and take advantage of the Wii U Virtual Console features such as the ability to play the games on the GamePad, customisable controls, Miiverse community support and the ability to instantly save game progress. If you already have downloaded one of these games for Wii, it will cost 99p to download a NES game again and £1.49 to purchase a SNES game.

Of course, if you don't want to pay extra, you can still play your old Virtual Console games in Wii mode.

What do you think of the launch line-up? Which games will you download?

Comments

1. goldbricks Friday 26th Apr 2013 at 09:55

Mario's Super Picross is mine! Quite excited for tomorrow now. Its weird its a Saturday launch.

2. Slinkington Friday 26th Apr 2013 at 10:00

£1 is ridiculous. If I transfered all my NES games it'd cost a fair amount. I'll just keep them on the Wii section, geez.

Even more annoying though, is that after transferring all of my VC games from my Wii to Wii U, only HALF of them actually work! All my WiiWare and N64 titles tell me "This software cannot be played on this system" as if I've just tried copying them from some random friends console. Yet they all went over during the official transfer process.

Now they want me to phone them so they can make me do tests, which I know will not work. Then they'll ask me to pay to ship my Wii U to them. They can forget it. Nintendo are ruining my respect for them, seriously.

3. deKay Friday 26th Apr 2013 at 10:19

Mario World for me.

I would get Picross, but after 22 hours (and counting) with Picross e2, I'm a bit Picross'd out. Plus I've already completed it once.

4. deKay Friday 26th Apr 2013 at 10:20

Are they on the SD card? If so, you need to download them again (for free) in the (virtual) Wii shop.

5. K-tet Friday 26th Apr 2013 at 10:28

Two things:
    1. Nintendo need to revise their prices for their Virtual Console games if they want Virtual Console to succeed, and those that have to 're-buy' games they've already purchased for Wii Virtual Console is a joke. I still believe they can (and must) release the entire back-catalogue of Wii VC games for Wii U. It isn't difficult to wrap the ROM in an emulator shell (which is how Wii U's Virtual Console works).

2. 60Hz games. If we're still getting PAL 50Hz games (even optimised ala later ports), then Nintendo will hear the complaints again. Nintendo got it right with F-Zero but got it wrong with Kirby's Adventure. I expect Nintendo to not take a step back if they want to keep their consumer base happy.

Other than the above, bring it on! =D

Edit: I most definitely called Saturday for the Virtual Console launch here in Europe. Glad to be right on the money with my prediction~

6. tloc365 Friday 26th Apr 2013 at 10:35

This, anything that you stored on the SD card needs to be re-downloaded through the Wii shop.
    Its painful because I had to do it, only games on the system memory are fully transferred.
    Only the license is transferred for games stored on an SD card.

7. onmsam Friday 26th Apr 2013 at 11:02

the only game there is Mario world but i most likely wont download it because i already have it on snes and gba and they could at least a one n64 game because this list isn't great :roll:

8. Nintenjoe64 Friday 26th Apr 2013 at 11:12

Although I'm going to have to pay to upgrade a few titles, I was pleasantly surprised to see SNES games being ever so slightly cheaper on Wii U than on Wii. Hope they reduce prices by 50% and put GC games on for a tenner!

Looking forward to getting all 96 exits on SMW this weekend but they are missing out on my monies by not having the option to upgrade my N64 games!

9. ledreppe Friday 26th Apr 2013 at 11:58

Already got Super Mario World on Super Famicom, and got the 30th Famicom anniversary edition of F-Zero and Punch Out. The rest don't interest me except for Mario's Super Picross, but like someone else mentioned after Picross e-2, I'm all Picross'd out.

10. parker-skywalker Friday 26th Apr 2013 at 12:11

Two things:

Other than the above, bring it on! =D

1. I know what you are saying it may feel a little steep and i would love for them to be a little cheaper, However snes carts price are going through the roof so this is still going to be the cheapest way to get hold of some of these games. You are right about the library though its a joke the amount of games on offer, there is only one game worth getting that's not been in the sale.

2. I couldn't agree more they have no excuse for releasing the games at 50Hz why did they even think that was ok, at least they learnt.

11. nintenu Friday 26th Apr 2013 at 12:24

The fee is stupid ...but you can only transfer the games that have been released on Wii U's Virtual Console ...that you own on the Wii's VC. You will not be able to do this for games that are not in the Wii U's VC library.

12. manic221 Friday 26th Apr 2013 at 12:52

WooHoo! Can't wait to get Super Mario World! Already bought it once on my Wii have it for SNES but heck if i care! Love that game to pieces.

As for those complaining about no N64 games Nintendo already told us there won't be any N64 games on Wii U virtual console for a while it's disappointing yes but not unexpected i can wait to buy Super Mario 64 again...

13. Violet Friday 26th Apr 2013 at 13:56

Super Mario World in 60hz at last? Yes please. Will take with gusto. With Super Metroid coming very shortly we just need A Link to the Past to complete the SNES Triforce, but I suspect they're saving that for when the 3DS sequel comes out.

That said, apparently the PAL version of SMW was faster than the American one, but with a lower frame rate, which is weird.

14. danbish Friday 26th Apr 2013 at 16:53

Its weird its a Saturday launch.

I agree. When the update had finished I jumped straight to the eShop to see what Virtual Console games were there. When I saw they were nowhere to be seen I thought we'd been left in the lurch yet again ('cos y'know, America is the centre of the universe :roll: ) but its good to see that I was wrong. Super Mario World will be mine - again! :D

15. Dean Thompson Friday 26th Apr 2013 at 17:49

And can anyone tell me which of these have not been released on Wii or 3DS already?

16. KKNinty347 Friday 26th Apr 2013 at 18:40

Does anyone know if your saved data for Wii VC games is carried over to the Wii U version when you get it?

17. KairiZero Saturday 27th Apr 2013 at 07:12

They need to release Lylat Wars pronto - Love that game :) I would like some F-zero and Waverace too :D

18. kingdra king Saturday 27th Apr 2013 at 07:33

In my opinion £5 is enough for off-tv play by itself.

19. jaco_p Saturday 27th Apr 2013 at 11:21

Nintendo, take a leaf out of apple's book and do the right thing. If you purchase a game on one system then you have purchased it all effectively for all systems made by the same company. Full retail games maybe not, but surely virtual console games? How many times are people expected to pay for the same game?

20. D Gamer Saturday 27th Apr 2013 at 20:54

I think I'm going to stick with the 30c games for now and wait for the sales. Sorry but they're over-priced at €7/8 for a SNES game.