Nintendo hope to introduce Retro's new Wii U game in 'not so distant future'

Will it be at E3 or during a Nintendo Direct?

It looks like Nintendo will be revealing Retro's next game very soon after Nintendo's Hiro Yamada told ONM that he hopes to "introduce it in the not too distant future."

Nintendo's US president Reggie Fils-Aime has already promised that Retro's Wii U game will be fantastic but what is it? It's a question we asked of Yamada who is supervising Monster Games as they work on a 3DS remake of Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Loading video...

Yamada wasn't giving much away, saying: "I wonder what kind of game it is? I hope to introduce it to you in the not so distant future."

Given that Nintendo won't be holding a large scale E3 conference, we wonder if it will be revealed at one of the smaller events at the show or during a Nintendo Direct.

You can find out what Retro think of Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D by reading our full interview with Hiro Yamada.

Comments

1. doydoy Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 13:10

I am going to predict it is Mario Kart Wii U, after they helped out with Mario Kart 7. I guess that was to test to see if they had the skillset to make a racing game.
    I could always dream big and ask for a new Donkey Kong 3D (DK64) game, or even Star Fox!
    I would like another Metroid, but I think they have finished with the series after the Prime Trilogy.

I am sure whatever it is, it's going to be great!

2. Zynt_Mcflint Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 13:25

I've got a feeling Retro's new game is going to be Star Fox. I can't find the source, but I do remember quite a while ago someone from Retro said something along the lines of "Our new game is a different "barrel roll" from Donkey Kong!".

I guess it's a reasonable speculation that it could be Mario Kart, but I feel that it won't be. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough :D .

3. debris Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 13:26

Could well be a Mario Kart, whatever it is though I'm sure it will be great.

4. tomonm Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 13:27

That's not a bad shout, although it would be slightly disappointing as we're all expecting Mario Kart Wii U and a new Retro game.

5. PuAl Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 13:28

I'm kinda hoping this is an entirely new IP built to show off what the WiiU can do (both graphically and in terms of gamepad use). In fact, just from typing that, I now have a great idea for a game. Anyone fluent in the Unity Engine and rocking a WiiU dev kit? :D

6. Waldy565 Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 13:48

Will read interview in a bit, but yeah, this IS exciting news! Of course, most will be wanting a new Metroid game (maybe codename "Dread", if that's still going) but I'd like to imagine Anouma-san has roped some of Retro into helping with the new Zelda, and that this news will be released in a special Zelda Direct! If a game is definitely going to be announced, however, I'd bet my, err, ONM collection it will be a Metroid announcement. Look, it's about the only thing I have that's of worth, bar my Blackberry, Wii U and 3DS. Oh, and I have lots of dragon statues... ;)

7. Waldy565 Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 13:50

Certainly wouldn't say no! I hadn't played the series until last year, when I got SF643D for Christmas, but now I see what an amazing series it is! Actually, scratch my idea, please be making a new Star Fox Retro!

8. OrangeRakoon Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 13:58

F-Zero U, please

Come on Retro and Nintendo, you know it makes sense.
    Experience in reviving a Nintendo IP that skipped a generation, and experience working on a Nintendo racing game. It's the perfect fit.

And also I really want a new F-Zero

9. danbish Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 14:01

Looking forward to seeing what their project is!

10. L_A Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 14:04

Actually, it is a bad shout. There's absolutely zero evidence that the game Retro's working on is Mario Kart (though I'm expecting them to help again). The 'they worked on Mario Kart 7, so that means they're developing MK8' is a really bad argument, as it doesn't mean anything. Monolith Soft helped with the development of Skyward Sword, that doesn't mean they're now developing Zelda Wii U.

The thing is, it's impossible at the time being to even do as much as guess what it is they're working on, considering how tightlipped Nintendo has been about the studio since DKCR.

Personally, as much as I love Mario Kart, I'd be severely disappointed if what they've been working on for almost 3 years is 'just' Mario Kart... I'd rather have a StarFox game (even though I'm no fan of the series...) than a Mario Kart game made by Retro. Especially since they have the talent to bring to life one of them so-called 'gamer' games everyone's raving about since the Casual wave hit us with the Wii/DS.

11. samus_killer Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 14:08

Given the recent talent that Retro have hired in the last year or so I'd be hugely surprised if it isn't a new FPS Metroid game... Scratch that, it will be a new Metroid game, there's no doubt about it.

I just can't see it being F-Zero, it doesn't seem like Retro's style.

I imagine F-Zero may resurface this gen, whether it be on WiiU or 3DS, but from some other developer, like Sumo Digital. There'd be much more fitting.

12. tomonm Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 14:11

Calm down. I wasn't actually saying that Retro are making Mario Kart 8.

13. DragonEleven Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 14:29

I'd love it to be a new Metroid Prime... it is their main series after all... I'm pretty sure the mystery space ship at the end of Corruption is evidence that the Prime series isn't over (or is possibly a hint at a sequel series... Dread perhaps).
    That style of Metroid game could be quite interesting on the Wii U... the Wiimote and nunchuk controls already work well for general movement, aiming and some of the puzzles, while the gamepad would be good for the scanner and other puzzles, while also giving the option of piloting the gunship like in Metroid Blast... whether they'd go for one or the other, or find some way of using both (perhaps a zero/varia suit switch) is anyones guess.

Other M seemed more like an experiment for Nintendo, filling the Metroid gap while Retro try out other things, but never reached the same level as the Prime games... if they do continue that style of Metroid game, I wouldn't be surprised if it became the handheld side of the series, as I think that could work quite well.

14. lrwr14 Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 15:21

New Metroid game would be nice.

15. shadowlugia101 Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 15:24

who knows maybe they'll revive raven blade? for those who don't know what raven blade is, its an rpg retro were making for Nintendo and it would've been their new ip, but due to time constraints as they were working on both that and metroid prime they decided to scrap the project and put all their efforts on metroid. if you want to know more about it watch this video.

16. parker-skywalker Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 18:27

This is my hope for the turn around game for the WiiU, I cant wait to see what it is.

17. MJTH Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 18:30

I kind of want to agree with the notion that it is a new IP (or at least a new take on an existing IP that everyone thinks is dead).

If it was just a sequel to a line of games that are still popular, that would be fine too, but I get the feeling if it was something like that, then Nintendo would of just said that was their project by now. When MK7 was coming out we early on Retro was working on it in tandem, so it must be something quite special, if it's still a secret.

Especially with all the Nintendo Directs announcing games left, right and centre.

18. jamez62982 Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 18:36

I 've been wating for the new Retro game announcement for almost 2 years now, and I have a feeling (along with some evidence) that it will be a new epic star fox game. I think there is no more talented studio in the last 15 years and I can't wait for much longer Nintendo!!!

19. shy guy 64 Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 19:55

i look forward to hearing more

20. KairiZero Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 19:59

Waverace or 1080 Snowboarding would be a nice surprise, as would F-Zero. We know it will be a killer game regardless of what they actually unveil. I suspect we will get teased in the run-up to e3, with an announcement there?

21. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 1st May 2013 at 08:55

A Wii U Metroid game would be awesome indeed, but I too hope it's Star Fox. I reckon that they could work wonders on that franchise.

As for all thise talk about it potentially being Mario Kart, I really doubt it. Retro's role in Mario Kart 7 was just course design, so that wouldn't be enough to have them commit to a full on new iteration.

True that they've hired staff from id Software, but they've also hired staff from Vigil (Darksiders) and Naughty Dog, so it could be literally anything. Maybe even a 3D Action/Adventure Platformer Metroid which can switch to FPS like a really good version of Other M (hopefully without the naff story).