Families and children are still very important to Nintendo - Iwata

Nintendo will always make games for younger audiences

Satoru Iwata has reiterated the importance of families and children to Nintendo as the company continues to try to expand the gaming market.

Asked by a shareholder if Nintendo would consider focusing its business efforts on children and families, Iwata replied: "Families and children are some of the most important consumer groups for Nintendo with whom we have been trying to expand the gaming population, and Nintendo has shown and would like to continue to show a strong presence among these groups. Families and children are indeed very important audiences for Nintendo. This policy will never change."

Given that Nintendo is releasing new Mario Kart and 3D Mario games for Wii U this year as well as Pokemon X and Y, it's clear that Nintendo has plenty of great games that will appeal to younger audiences.

Do you think that Nintendo should focus on family friendly games?

Comments

1. wilfrefanguy Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 14:43

drawn to life is a good game isn't it

2. kingdra king Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 15:28

They should have an even amount in my opinion.

3. ToxicJosh Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 15:43

Nintendo games will always have a universality to them that makes them unique and appeal to both the core gamer and the family audiences. But that said, I'd love to see Nintendo publishing more mature games that aren't suitable for a family audience, whilst still giving me games that take me back to my childhood and that I can play with my younger cousins, and down the line, kids.

4. vtheyoshi Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 18:15

They should have even amounts of both games. I'll play most of them anyway.

5. Riverlution Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 18:39

As long as they don't go to the Only for kids route. They should really start putting multiple difficulties in their games, one for the younger generation, and a harder one for the rest of us.

6. Twinkle Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 19:27

I think that there should be a balnce- half of the games for kids and family, and half for adults, teens etc. But it is true that kids and family are a large consumer group for Nintendo.

7. stealth1497 Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 20:09

Well, if you're going to call games like Pokemon childish (which it is, obviously, but can go into so much more depth) then I will always play kid's games. I will also play Mario Kart and the rest forever too!

8. ultimatebuffalo Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 20:26

most children already are playing violent games such as Call of Duty, Mass Effect, 10-14 year olds play the same games as grown ups do. the only people who would play the family games are the 7 and unders, and the 5-10 market is firmly sewn up by Skylanders.

The majority of pokemon players are people with aspergers / weaboo geeks aged 21-49, i rarely see young kids playing pokemon. Best way to play pokemon is the hacked roms with the extra difficulties and balances.

9. Stitch Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 22:01

Well I enjoy pokemon and I am neither a weabo nor do I have Aspergers. Actually the majority of adult pokemon players are normal people.
    Just because 10-14 year olds are playing COD doesn't mean they should necessarily nor does it exclude them from enjoying more family friendly games. I enjoy watering my roses in Animal Crossing and racing around in Mario Kart as much as I enjoy dismembering necromorphs in Dead Space and shooting pedestrians in Grand Theft Auto. Just because I enjoy one genre doesn't mean I can't enjoy others.

10. adamatsu Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 22:50

A good game doesn't need a specific demographic. A good game can be enjoyed by anyone. In that sense, Nintendo should continue to try to factor families and children into its philosophy, and I am sure that it will do that.

11. fatherofthenoo Tuesday 30th Apr 2013 at 23:30

It's great that Nintendo plans to keep focusing on kids and families. They might want to consider some new IP to win them over again though. After all, it was new IP which brought them to the Wii and DS.

12. j bean Wednesday 1st May 2013 at 05:59

I think Nintendo have always managed to keep a good balance with their games. It seems to me that when most people complain about the lack of adult games they are more often than not referring to all the games that skip Nintendo consoles and only come out on xbox/ps3.

13. K-tet Wednesday 1st May 2013 at 14:03

I suggest you actually do proper research before you blurt out obscene nonsense.

That aside, I don't mind if Nintendo stick to family-friendly games and titles. Local multiplayer games such as Mario Kart have been firm family favourites for quite some time now. However, I do believe Nintendo should offer a more 'mature' or 'core' selection of games. They have the IP to match those specifics (in particular, Metroid, but also the likes of Eternal Darkness as another example), so I don't see a reason why they shouldn't. Moreover, I also don't see why Nintendo should surrender the 'family' market either. As long as people buy Nintendo hardware for the games they want, any specific target demographic is welcomed. For those gamers who are more serious, they just don't want to be neglected by an overbalance of more 'casual' games. I personally have no issue as long as Nintendo are successful.