Trailer of the week: Pokemon X and Y

Four exciting things we learned from the trailer

Thanks to the nice fellas and fellettes at Game Freak, we've been getting a steady stream of Pokemon X and Y news and this week we got one of our biggest news hauls yet with a brand new gameplay trailer

1. You can sit down!

First up. is that you can finally sit down. I have wanted to rest my trainer's weary legs since my first Pokemon foray and finally, those benches and chairs cropping up all over the last five regions have a use: You can sit on them for what I imagine is merely aesthetic gain.

The battles look better than ever

Something I've been worrying about since the first trailer is the sort of muddy looking sprite animation in battles. Luckily this new trailer has put my fears to rest showing off Pokemon wincing in pain with just as much clarity as the sprites in the 3DS Pokedex.

You can walk diagonally!

Revealed for a brief second during the trailer and more conclusively in screenshots is the confirmation of diagonal movement. A first for a main Pokemon game and one which is welcome in my books, it would look pretty ridiculous having a vibrant 3D world and being restricted to four directions. Hopefully the freer movement ends up making the game even more immersive than past outings.

You can ride a goat but it's slow

The trailer also shows off a new riding mechanic, one step up from how Heart Gold and Soul Silver let your Pokemon follow you around. The pace in the video seems to be painfully slow but maybe he's just abiding a city speed limit. We've had confirmation that the English name for the beast of burden is Gogoat and I've got my fingers crossed that it's not the only Pokemon I can saddle up.

This trailer has made me far more confident and excited about X and Y. To me, the game - visually, at least - looks like a Pokemon Animal Crossing and that's a really good thing. When I was just a young ruffian playing my copy of Pokemon Red, this was exactly what I wanted the future of Pokémon to look like; so I'm counting down the days to October.

Comments

1. CyberGW Sunday 19th May 2013 at 09:53

The graphics are certainly looking better and I think they'll continue to improve them up until launch.
    I thought the battles have always looked good, but walking around the region looks much smoother now.

2. Twinkle Sunday 19th May 2013 at 11:06

Finally you can walk diagonally! This is just too great! :D

3. dunc247 Sunday 19th May 2013 at 11:41

Great points in this article, so excited for X/Y! Also this analysis from gamexplain is really good http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKKTqJ8R5nI

4. PikachuKJ Sunday 19th May 2013 at 12:18

I'm really exited for this game. It looks really good and it looks like it will be good for both fans and newcomers to the series.

5. Komodo_Wolfgang Sunday 19th May 2013 at 12:26

I have a feeling (and really hope) that riding pokemon bit was walking slow, just to show it off in the trailer and 'out of respect' because its in a public place. You most likely can run when you hold b.

If gogoat IS the only pokemon you can ride, why even bother putting it in.

I Want to saddle up ponyta,rapidash,zebstrika dodrio ect ect. And I bet theres a huge fanbase who want to ride arcanine.

6. Ghostly_Shadeon Sunday 19th May 2013 at 12:56

It's nice to see that players can now sit on chairs, but I really don't see much point of the new mechanic.
    I mean, I would rather be more productive by battling and training Pokemon by running etc. rather than sitting down!

7. hardcorehopkins Sunday 19th May 2013 at 14:01

I doubt they will just include riding a Pokemon if its really slow (I hope not at least). I assume it will work like running shoes hold down b and it speeds up. If its a HM though I hope you can still get bikes or running shoes cuz I hate HMs as it is.

8. fisher2007 Sunday 19th May 2013 at 14:33

If gogoat IS the only pokemon you can ride, why even bother putting it in.

I Want to ride legendary pokemon like Suicune,Raikou,Entei,Arceus.

9. Legend Of Amy Sunday 19th May 2013 at 16:33

:D Trainers will need a good sit down on a bench after all that DIAGONAL WALKING! :D

10. Waldy565 Sunday 19th May 2013 at 16:48

Like you said, we are being spoilt rotten with all this gaming news on X and Y! This, along with Pikmin 3, is definitely on my list of games to get at Christmas (well, Y comes out October, and I kind of... *sigh* need I say it again? I feel like I've felt like I've posted it 15 times or so, so I won't bother...)
    BUUUUUUT, the question is: What else do I get? I'm kinda restricting myself to about 4 games, cuz I need the dosh and don't start in the Navy till next year, sooooo I think it's gonna be based on price! But there's Watch Dogs, LoZ:WWHD, Luigi U, Yoshi's Yarn, Game and Wario, Batman Origins, Injustice.... Then for 3DS, Virtue's Last Reward, Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus and Metal Gear 3D I still need to pick up, and then there's Layton 6, Monster Hunter 4, Animal Crossing and Project X Zone too! Argh! And Okamiden and Sonic Rush Advance at the least I want for DS! *goes and sits in a corner and sobs* WHY NINTENDO?!
    EDIT - I'll just get Okami for the Wii instead. Used to be able to get Okamiden for a fair enough price on eBay, but now it's as expensive as a 3DS game on Amazon!

11. Waldy565 Sunday 19th May 2013 at 16:51

If gogoat IS the only pokemon you can ride, why even bother putting it in.

I Want to ride legendary pokemon like Suicune,Raikou,Entei,Arceus.

Actually, that's a fair enough point with the legendary beasts. I mean, I know Ranger is a different game, but most versions have had about 100 less 'Mon (compared to the main series) in the "Browser", plus the sprites were really detailed in that, so I don't see why not personally!
    (Basically, all the above I'm trying to justify that memory shouldn't be a limiting factor - and, added to that, the 3DS carts are 1GB compared to DS' 512MB)