What does the Xbox One mean for Wii U?

Editor-In-Chief, Chandra Nair, gives his opinion on Microsoft's console reveal

It's amazing really. Why is is that no console manufacturer can ever get their console reveal right?

You would have thought that with such a powerful console (seemingly at least), it would be easy to impress people. Yet Microsoft still managed to screw up their reveal, instead leaving punters entirely confused about what the future holds. This is a Nintendo website of course and the first question on Nintendo fans' minds is: 'what does this mean for me?'

As always, I'm more than happy for Microsoft and Sony to battle it out over who will dominate the multimedia box space. Both now feature Blu-Ray drives, so the contest has never been closer, but we've been here before.

First and foremost I want a games machine and I want the company I buy into to be focused on that. Call Of Duty: Ghosts looked stunning but how many developers, realistically, will be able to afford the resources necessary to create such a product?

Microsoft, EA, Activision... that's probably it. Even Ubisoft isn't stupid enough to plough high-end exclusively into a new generation that has yet to prove itself. All of which means that while the Xbox One and PS4 may well have a handful of stunning looking games, the majority of the games out there won't look all that far removed from Wii U titles.

What matters to me though, is originality. Every console has its evergreen franchises that will always do well and will always look that little bit better with every iteration.

Forza 5 looks like... the last Forza but prettier. You could say the same for Mario Kart though; a new Mario Kart will look a bit better and have one or two new ideas.

But, as always, it's the controller input that makes the real difference. The Wii U GamePad already gives us new reasons to play. Splinter Cell: Blacklist on Wii U is already looking like the best version. Sure, other versions may end up looking better but the GamePad takes the gameplay to a completely different, far more immersive level.

Loading video...

Microsoft has chosen to stick with the standard controller input and instead innovate in other, non-gaming departments. That's a huge mistake as far as I'm concerned. There's absolutely no doubt that Nintendo desperately needs to sort out its own non-gaming offering (OS loading times, media sharing etc) but the GamePad works perfectly and is a vital tool in the fight against iterative gaming.

It's the GamePad and Miiverse that's going to provide me with my favourite gaming memories over the next few years, not being able to watch a trailer at the same time and upload my latest kill video to cyberspace. The danger of giving users the option to share everything (by that I mean uploading videos) is that it removes personality and creativity... things that defines the Miiverse. But that fits into perfectly into Microsoft's vision.

The Xbox One will no doubt have some great games. It will also, no doubt, be quite expensive, and you'll be paying for the other things it does as opposed to just paying for a games machine. Am I worried about its effect on Wii U? No. If anything this reveal has made it easier for me to understand how the Wii U will succeed.

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. torterratrainer Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 14:34

I thought Wii U would be in big trouble in the follow up to the Xbox One reveal, but after what I've seen: no backwards compatibility, daily online connection requirement to play offline, a horrible CoD preview

I would bet that Wii U will come second in the next gen console wars unless Microsoft turns this around

2. Shmilly Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 14:35

What I found most ridiculous about this reveal was the focus on switching between games and TV and the like. That's what a TV remote is for! How else are you going to plug in your console except through the HDMI port? Just click the button that switches from HDMI to TV! Surely the PS4 will far outsell this. It's just a shame that the Wii U hasn't quite gotten the recognition is deserves, at least so far. Once these are out though, I think people will want to look for an alternative. Then that fancy new Game Pad will look very nice indeed...

3. ODNETNIN Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 14:37

I really feel like Nintendo have this basically won.

The Xbox One, for me, is off the table. I no longer want one. The PS4 seems promising, but we'll wait to see what they say at E3.

4. alexjones94 Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 14:41

I think the idea of a console war is a bit tedious; as long as each company manages to keep afloat whilst giving their fans the games they want, who cares who "wins"? Personally, I love the direction Nintendo are taking with Wii U, and I know a lot of people who are equally interested in what they've seen of Sony/Microsoft's offerings and that's fine. There's far too much squabbling in the gaming community, let's all just get the machines we want and enjoy them!

5. TheVentilator Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 14:48

I agree with this article, because its basically what i have been thinking too.

There is a reason why Xbox One's #1 supporter suddenly was back on Wii U after the Xbox reveal...EA.
    EA lied, and said they already had games in development only to sound good. The truth is that the bad reception of Xbox made them unsure about Xbox, so they had to have a backup plan.

Secondly, one of the biggest retailers in my country started to market Wii U today after the Xbox reveal.
    Also, they now sell Wii U for only 180 bucks, which is less than 1/3 of the Xbox One and PS4 prices.

There have been alot of negativity lately on Wii U, but the last days have all been positive since Xbox reveal.
    I'm thinking that more developers will announce Wii U games soon,

6. mushroomchow Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 14:51

I thought the PS4 launch was mediocre, but am still interested in the system to some extent. This, on the other hand, was to all respective purposes a car crash. When your selling points on the game front for the launch window are COD (multiplatform), EA Sports (multiplatform, even if they seem hellbent on skipping the WiiU) and Forza, you have officially lost my interest.

Aside from what will no doubt be a £300+ starting RRP, you're having a laugh if you think Microsoft are going to do anything other than beat cash out of every orifice their customers have.

A TV subscription service? Check.
    Online gameplay? Check.
    Streaming services (Netflix, etc.)? Check.
    Cloud based (probably based on accounts which cost extra)? Check.

There is no way in hell I am ever going to pay what will probably be £25+ a month just to get access to the features the console I've bought was designed for. This was MS' last throw of the Dice, with their tablet market non-existant. I can't see it succeeding.

7. Not_Yeti Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 14:58

You look at it and think WOW microsoft failed their! Yet I know loads of people who said they didn't like the look of it but will get it anyway. Microsoft sells itself

8. jaiv Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 14:59

This is much better than the terrible IGN comparison, all they said was "the Wii U is terrible compared to this."

9. ChandraONM Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 15:01

I'm not saying it will fail. On the contrary, I'm sure it will sell millions.
    I'm saying that Wii U needn't worry about its future and actually it's going to have a really good Christmas, regardless of other machines.

10. NP Chilla Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 15:08

The Xbox One is like a PARODY of a games console: it lets you watch TV through it (as opposed to actually watching the TV), the only games announced for it are sports and shooters (way to appeal to the stereotypical demographic!) and you can't even have it away from the internet for 24 hours without it becoming kaput?

:lol: It's like a Simpsons parody of an Xbox...

11. Tamzily01 Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 15:13

I think I'll be sticking with Wii U and PS4 for this generation. I'll also stick with my 360, seeing as it's already a better console than the Xbox One.

12. ThePokekid78 Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 15:14

I don't think Wii U is in danger from the One, but I don't think Nintendo is really in competition with Microsoft - it's always been, and probably always will be, Xbox vs Playstation.

Microsoft do play a very risky game here, though. By selling the One as an all-in-one machine rather than a games console (which is reflected in the design), they may alienate some of their hardcore market (who will no doubt move to PS4), but on the bright side they may gain a lot more interest from the casuals...

At least we know one thing: E3 should be very interesting this year!

13. Dean Thompson Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 15:20

"Microsoft has chosen to stick with the standard controller input"

We shall just ignore the enhanced Kinect tech then shall we? The Wii U pad is just an extension of the DS and I don't care for Miiverse in its current state - the important part is the potential of it so I wouldn't knock Xbox for its graphical potential and overstate just how ignored it will be.

14. Pyron12 Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 15:23

Basically, the impression I got after the presentation was the XBox One is the 'new' PS3.

15. danbish Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 15:26

It reminds me of the original breeze block Xbox but with that 80's VRC feel.

I really think you're right Chandra, the WiiU will have had time to get comfortable and into peoples hands and homes thorugh the games that'll be available come November, both at retail and download. The there's the price - I really hope Nintendo see a bit of sense and create the Mario Kart package that you mention as it'll shift units like hot cakes.

By what MS have said about XboxOne, I think it'll be far over the £300 price tag that I've seen floating around the internet so far and what with the online connection it needs to have (once every 24 hours, what about those people who still don't have internet?), the faff on with second hand games (the second hand buyer needs to pay the same amount that the original buyer did - £50 when they bought as new but its then £30 in the shops for example) and that fact that it isn't backwards compatible (when the time comes where MS stop repairing broken 360's and there's a mass of people unable to play their game collection), Nintendo could really dominate the field again - but only if they capitalise on these advantages and do things right.

Also take on board the cost of developing high spec games that you quite rightly say only the top 'heavy hitters' will be able to afford and you have a console that asks for more risk than reward.

Nintendo have been dealt an excellent, unforseen hand here - have they got the courage to take it on?

16. ChandraONM Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 15:33

"Microsoft has chosen to stick with the standard controller input"

Where in the article does it say anything about Xbox One being ignored?
    I'm sure it will be picked up by the very same hardcore who bought into Xbox 360 in the first place.
    It ticks a lot of boxes for a certain demographic.

17. Time-Bomb Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 15:39

Unless the Christmas lineup for the wiiU includes smash bros along with a few other great games, I think I'll be sitting out yet another year of this console war. Who needs home consoles when you have animal crossing and pokemon xy on the 3DS!

18. Xenobladeperson Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 15:41

It'll be PC and WiiU for me, this gen, at least until MGS6 comes out.

19. Nelson Mendez Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 15:42

The Wii U is the best console I have ever had period. I am not even worried about the small line up of games cause every game I got for it is great. If the Xbox is going to be as powerful as they say it also means it is going to be very expensive and a lot of people might not get because of that. Price does make a difference in how a system sells the Vita proved that in Japan. However if the Xbox does require a constant online connection it will become a system that will appeal only to the middle class and up and the kids in poor neighborhoods who would have gotten a used Xbox to play with no internet connection will have to instead buy the WII U. :wink:

20. K-tet Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 15:50

Allow me to throw my tuppence into the ring.

Firstly, the Xbox One reveal was the worst reveal in recent human history. The PS4's seemed a lot better in comparison. Absolutely nothing great of note was revealed. There was too much emphasis on TV. What we want is a games console, not an all-in-one box. I'm sure there are plenty that will disagree but no, in my mind, Microsoft need to have a godly E3, otherwise they can kiss their market share goodbye. On that note, did anyone read about how Nintendo's and Sony's stocks rose during that reveal? Yep... I wouldn't call that co-incidence.

Secondly, it's going to be Microsoft vs Sony for the second (possibly third) generation running. Do I feel a straight up peeing contest is what the industry needs? No. It's boring. It only serves to allow the dudebro's of the world to slag each other off. I'm far more comfortable playing it low key. If I were to invest in a second 8th Gen console, I'm leaning towards the PS4, but I won't make a concrete decision until E3 this year.

As far as Nintendo goes, they've seemingly wasted this early advantage they've had, though they still have enough time to make inroads and really force their presence onto the gaming market before the other two systems launch. They've got to do a hell of a lot (in my eyes) in order to solidify the Wii U. However, I don't believe the PS4 nor the Xbox One will get off to any lightning starts either. This generation may just be a 'wait a year and see what happens' generation.

In short, the Xbox One reveal was utter tripe. The PS4 has more interest because of it, and still, the mainstream media doesn't care about Nintendo. As far as they're concerned, it's doomed. Nothing new there.

21. Owz_The_Future Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 15:52

Sorry, but this article was painful reading, horrifically biased. Most of your points for how the Wii U will "win" Christmas are redundant:

1. Price. Have Microsoft officially revealed the price of the console yet? No. Pure speculation at this point.

2. Developers. I don't understand how you can say that harnessing the power of the system is the key to creating great games. Just look at the popularity of Minecraft, for example.

3. Software library. Have you forgotten the wealth of Xbox exclusive IPs that Microsoft have at their disposal for next gen? Forza, GOW, Halo, Banjo-Kazooie, PGR off the top of my head. And that's not to mention the 8 new IPs that Microsoft apparently have in the works. So far the Wii U has only had one half decent exclusive, Lego City, if the reviews are to be believed (haven't played it yet).

Don't get me wrong, I'm as much a Nintendo fan as an Xbox one, but I really disliked the tone of this article. Let's hope that both systems get fantastic software libraries and support.

22. NP Chilla Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 15:56

"Microsoft has chosen to stick with the standard controller input"

The Kinect is already a notorious unreliable, overpriced piece of junk and all reports state that the second version is even fussier. So what's new in terms of controller input? Nothing.

Anyway, who's overstating anything? Chandra has said nothing which is untrue - the Xbox One is looking to be a punchline in gaming. No two ways about it.

23. tomonm Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 16:05

Okay, that wasn't really referring to how Wii U will beat its rival consoles this Christmas. It was more about what the ket will be to having a good Christmas.

24. ChandraONM Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 16:12

1. Price: it isn't speculation that the Wii U will be far cheaper than the new Xbox. It's common sense.It's already as low as £149 (one-off offers) and £180-£200 (various retailers). After a full year on sale the Wii U WILL be significantly cheaper than a brand new machine.

2. Developers: No, I'm not claiming that games need to look amazing to be amazing. For God's sake – I'm edited a magazine through the Wii era! I am merely stating that, on the whole, the graphical differences in the two console's offerings won't be as different as they probably should be. It was a massive issue with the previous gen and something that had the hardcore fleeing from third-party Wii content in their droves. It won't be such an extreme issue this time.

3. No, I haven't forgotten. Once again, I haven't said anywhere that the new Xbox won't have any games, just as I haven't said that it will be a failure.

25. ultimatebuffalo Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 16:16

the Wii U isn't a next gen console with 2007 tech.

the only reason the U is cheaper is because retailers cannot get rid of the things so are selling them for effectively half what they paid for them.

XBOX will be garaunteed to have every 3rd party multiformat game, whereas the U will not because it will be too much work and will only have a fraction of the sales.

26. vtheyoshi Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 16:23

All I can say about the Xbox One is, *laughs*, I really don't care. I am happy with my Wii U.

27. mattym727 Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 16:26

To be fair, any random person who has the slightest knowledge in gaming or tech will know that this will be an expensive machine. Zavvi have a price of £500 on it!

28. K-tet Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 16:30

the Wii U is current gen with its specs and release, and not next gen

Incorrect. The Wii U is a next-gen system. It can do more things than existing 7th gen systems can, and can outperform them quite comfortably. You won't see the immediate effect of this during the first batch of games as the hardware is still new and developers are still getting to grips with the system. The mainstream media's propaganda parade I'm sure does plenty to hide this fact, but trust me, no 7th gen system has a GPGPU. The other 8th gen systems? I believe they also have GPGPU's on their graphics cards too. GPGPU's have been the standard on PC graphics cards for quite a while now, so Nintendo as a hardware developer has opened the gate for consoles to follow suit in this respect.

People like you who believe the Wii U is a current gen system need to troll harder elsewhere.

29. mattym727 Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 16:45

the Wii U isn't a next gen console with 2007 tech.

2007 tech? I wouldnt call the gamepad 2007 tech!
    Wii U sold more than 360 and PS3 did in the first few weeks.
    Too much work? Are you saying that developers are not making great games on the Wii U because ITS TOO MUCH WORK? If developers are too lazy to make games on the Wii U because of the benefit of the gamepad, the gaming industry must in sincerely f*cked up.

30. Hammy206 Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 16:48

The thing is, it took half an hour before they really talked about games. While they are going to have many games at E3, so will Sony and Nintendo; Nintendo looks like it should have the best E3 games-wise anyway, unless they really screw up!

Xbox One seems like a Multimedia system with games functionality, not a games console with multimedia functionality. If I had to go for another console (which I am not planning on, Wii U is possibly my favourite home console yet!) I would currently go PS4!

31. Fox_McCloud Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 16:48

This whole article is one big source of cringe.

Awful stuff from someone who clearly doesn't know tech or games development.

32. paultheotherone Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 17:05

"Microsoft has chosen to stick with the standard controller input"

True they have, but EG who actually USED it said and I quote:

" the addition of two new rumble motors into the analogue triggers that work in addition to the two existing motors housed in the grips.

The effect of these new motors is instantly obvious and very appealing. Demos that simulate a heart pounding, a car revving its engine, a helicopter thub-thub-thubbing and - of course - a gun firing speak to your fingertips directly now rather than to the base of your palm. This feels more natural and conveys subtlety more convincingly, because of course your fingertips are much more sensitive than the rest of your hands.

The triggers are also said to be more precise - a previously mechanical linkage is now a magnetic sensor, so developers can register smaller increments of movement. Along with the bumper buttons, which are slightly longer, the triggers feel fine in the hand and your fingers don't easily slide away from them".

They also speak about Kinect: "One of the most impressive demos tracks heart-rate based on - we're told - fluctuations in blood flow in the subject's face".

So yes it is a standard controller input, but these enhancements seem pretty cool. They seem to have got the trick down that Nintendo was trying with the vitality sensor, and it would be awesome if they used it as a reactionary within games to change how they play.

If Nintendo had added these things, they would have been touted as innovative no?

The conference was talking to shareholders mainly so was going to be boring. I do like the look of the one though, it has a kitsch appeal, reminiscent of the 3DO.

I won't get one though- I can't afford two consoles both monetary and time wise.

33. jimbobsquarepant Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 17:11

For the first time ever the 3 home consoles have completely different aims. What Microsoft showed is that they want more than just a games console from the Xbox One which unfortunately probably isn't what most gamers want. I have a 360 which has many of the capabilities of the Xbox One to a lesser extent, but I've never once used it to watch TV, listen to Music or search the internet.

The PS4 and Wii U are on more similar territory, but again are aiming at completely different targets. I see it as the PS4 going for raw gaming power while the Wii U goes for more ways to play. Based on the range of games I'm with Nintendo all the way.

34. Nintendo-13 Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 18:28

well every console has it good sides and bad sides but to me i have always been a nintendo fan so to me i really don't care about the console war or who wins it i like to have fun on the wii u its a good design but this is my opinion

35. Greene-Stuff Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 18:42

Xbox One just looks amazingly pointless. I have a tv, I don't need or want a TV service along with my gaming console, I want to play games and that's what the Wii U does. Sure it has (well UK citizens don't yet) NINTENDO TVii, but even then that's just a catch up service, it's not a replacement.

I don't think NINTENDO should be worried :)

36. Twinkle Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 19:07

Yes you are right! Pokemon X and Y and Animal Crossing are just very good. :wink:

37. LavaTwilight Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 19:16

Chandra!
    Your closing comments there have put some form of realisation into me :!: Have Nintendo really 'wasted' a good headstart? Suddenly, I don't think so anymore. Why not?
    Most of the people who have bought the WiiU now will have done so anyway, despite the few games out, the few 1st parties, great new games being almost absent. Exclusives even fewer. But... was this Nintendo's idea all along? See there was no secret unveiling of the PS4 or XBox, we knew it was coming months in advance. Which means Nintendo knew it was coming. Which means the headstart they will have will arrive this holiday period and they have a huge number of exclusives and well, everything else you put in your pretty little article there. Hence, was it truly wasted? I don't think so. They have been working really hard to have these great games for us so that by the time the true head-to-head with rivals start, Nintendo are already steaming away in the lead and potentially looking to extend that lead even further.
    To put it simply, Nintendo have been pulling their punches. Come the holidays, that's when the real fight begins. I get the feeling this was Nintendo's strategy all along :wink:

38. fatherofthenoo Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 19:46

I agree with Chandra completely. Plus, I don't see PS4 and ... the ONE!!! being anywhere near as big a success as the 360 and PS3. Although I don't see Wii U being as big a success either :? Still, at least Nintendo is always prepared to try something new. I can't say the same for their rivals. I for one am loving my Wii U to bits right now, whereas my PS3 sits abandoned. I think I'll just stick with Nintendo from now on.

39. fatherofthenoo Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 19:50

This whole article is one big source of cringe.

Awful stuff from someone who clearly doesn't know tech or games development.

Yeah... clearly. Moron.

40. Xenobladeperson Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 19:52

Bu Microsoft already have millions of 8 year old fanboys happy to pay a couple of hundred pound for anything they release as long as it has Xbox in the title and Nintendo have to deal with millions of 8 year old Microsoft fanboys who will never take them seriously or buy the WiiU.

And XboxOne has 15 exclusives in development, 8 of which are new IPs, so don't rule the it out for software in 2014.

41. fatherofthenoo Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 19:56

If you haven't already, please watch this video. But don't make the mistake of sipping tea while you do. I've warned you.

42. fatherofthenoo Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 19:58

Ah, but here's the thing. These fans are interested in the 360, not... the ONE!!! If Microsoft wants to replicate its success it'll have to start all over again. Not rely on the popularity of its last console. Sony made that mistake and it bit them in the arse.

43. Dean Thompson Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 20:13

"Microsoft has chosen to stick with the standard controller input"

Where in the article does it say anything about Xbox One being ignored?
    It ticks a lot of boxes for a certain demographic.

That's quite a remarkable misunderstanding of what I meant to highlight. I was stating that your assertion that they would stick with the "standard controller input" isn't a fair remark. Read my initial comment and reflect on where the "Xbox One being ignored" part of your stream of consciousness came from.

I like being a pedant under topics such as this because the story does not impede on my enjoyment of Wii U so I just become a rambling man... fewer words, wisdom... and all that jazz.

44. fatherofthenoo Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 20:42

Wow. What a condescending comment.

45. Rory Eustace Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 21:17

I understand the loyalty towards a Nintendo product: *fanboys unite!*; however I wouldn't easily dismiss Microsoft and their ingenuity. Not only is their product powerful and able to multitask beautifully - they have a massive fan-base that will quickly purchase their product regardless of price. I think that despite the efforts to compare the Wii U, One and PS4 the fact remains: Nintendo targets a different market than Microsoft and Sony. I'd like to see the statistics on the number of people who actively chose to switch from Sony and MS to Nintendo to satisfy their intensive gaming needs. Nintendo will survive off their fan base, and will flourish off of their ingenuity.
    The Xbox One is a powerful machine, and MS has a lot of money researching virtual reality and projection augmentation, such as illumiroom (spelling?). I think that the price will be drastic, but the One provides many of the same perks that the Wii U offers. That being said, Nintendo will do well to poll their consumer base on what "we" want. If Nintendo wants to complete directly with MS they should look at merging their 3DS and Wii U software (which seems to be happening), streamline their software, work more directly with giants such as EA, Activision etc.

46. Xenobladeperson Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 21:20

Think about this:

You are an Xbox fanboy and are obsessed with the 360 because you can talk to your friends and you seem cool because you own it. It is becoming outdated and the next generation of consoles are being released. You have a choice to either get a XboxOne, Ps4 or WiiU. Bear in mind that you are an 8 year old who cares only about getting the cool console. Your friends tell you the WiiU isn't cool and your they will disown you forever if you get it because they are getting they XboxOne because it's cool. Which console do you choose?

47. dap005 Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 21:28

Agreed! Less arguing about which is the best and more talk of enjoying either one.

48. harrogatewario Thursday 23rd May 2013 at 21:42

I have a young family so sold my 360 a couple of years ago sticking with the Wii. Lack of time means I can't justify buying a new Xbox (or the PS4) and quite frankly I don't feel like I will be missing out at the moment.

My 3 year old loves playing Nintendoland and Lego City with me and her Just Dance Disney (thanks to the Wii backwards compatabilty), then when she's in bed its ZombiU, Batman etc... for Dad (Or multiplayer Tank! Tank! Tank! if the Mrs wants to play).

Quite frankly the WiiU fits perfectly with a family and this should not be underestimated.

49. Time-Bomb Friday 24th May 2013 at 02:23

Good to see at least one person can sit back and enjoy the finer things in life...

50. CraigEmberson Friday 24th May 2013 at 03:46

I just thought I'd let you guys at ONM know what's new (maybe write an article):

On Amazon.co.uk, the Wii U has seen an 875% sales increase straight after the reveal of XBOX One and has jump from the 390th best selling product on the site, to the 40th best selling product in less than 2 days.

51. Tom Davis Friday 24th May 2013 at 08:04

Anyone who thinks that this Xbox will fail is not in tune with what the majority of people want. For gamers, it is absolutely the least appealing console so far. However, the iPad/instagram generation want all of these features. I own a Wii U and will definitely be buying a PS4. I personally think that Sony and Nintendo have always given the best of both worlds. PS3 is still giving us amazing experiences like GOW: Ascension, The Last of Us and Beyond: Two Souls. Let's just hope that Nintendo shows off some very cool games besides Mario, Zelda and Smash Bros. on June 11th. Also, please show us some new IPs!!!

The other thing is that so many Kickstarter indie games are now being developed for Wii U since Nintendo brought down their restrictions, which is great news. The more Nintendo embraces this, the more appealing Wii U will be to hardcore gamers because so many indies won't be able to afford to develop for Xbox One/PS4. Nintendo is my favourite company in the world and I want to see them do very well, however I think that this article was a bit too biased. Understandable since this is a Nintendo site, but there is no denying that the PS4 looks incredibly promising.

52. bigterence Friday 24th May 2013 at 08:15

OMG. that Kinect thing watching everything I do in my living room. No thankyou.

53. Jarmez Friday 24th May 2013 at 09:16

Apparently because of Microsoft's bad Xbox One presentation, the sales of WiiU consoles went up by 800%+ on Amazon. No joke.

54. K-tet Friday 24th May 2013 at 09:24

Here's the Amazon UK link for those interested.

As of 10:24 BST on 24/05/2013, the Wii U is sitting 9th on that list. It is subject to change of course, but that's great news for Nintendo.

55. fatherofthenoo Friday 24th May 2013 at 09:25

Think about this:

It doesn't work like that for mass market appeal and for establishing yourself as a part of pop culture. It only applies to an extreme minority. Word of mouth advertising is not a way to sell tens of millions of consoles.

56. fatherofthenoo Friday 24th May 2013 at 09:32

This sums up how Wii U also fits into my family life. We all had such fun playing Little Inferno, then my wife and daughter enjoy Lego City. And then I enjoy Monster Hunter. It is the console for every one. My PS3 was only ever used by me, nobody else was interested. Even now I ignore it next to my Wii U, and with so many games in the pipeline,I just don't see the point buying anything else.

57. fatherofthenoo Friday 24th May 2013 at 09:34

Yeah, I very much agree with this too.

58. K-tet Friday 24th May 2013 at 09:41

Following the previous news, I've found a fitting image:

Let the games begin.

59. swarf Friday 24th May 2013 at 10:55

Fantastic article Chandra :D

60. buzzboy42 Friday 24th May 2013 at 12:04

Yeah. Microsoft will need to shut down making xboxes. :D :D :mrgreen:

61. hufmeister Friday 24th May 2013 at 15:09

While its amazing,microsoft didnt think to include practicality in the xbox one. You'll see we may come out on top in the looming console war.

62. Dean Thompson Friday 24th May 2013 at 16:22

"Microsoft has chosen to stick with the standard controller input"

It seems that no one can decipher what I was referring to when I say 'ignored'. I am referring to the notion that only a few developers will push it to its limits - graphically speaking - so I meant that they would ignore some of its power.

63. Mr Roboto Friday 24th May 2013 at 18:24

So far the Wii U has nothing to fear over its Xbox One rival.

But E3 could changed that.

64. samball53 Friday 24th May 2013 at 18:31

Wii U might be in danger again... :(
    Microsoft have probably noticed that everyone is being negative and they might make the Xbox One better (because, quite frankly, it is rubbish) which will cause the Wii U sales to go DOWN!
    Wii U is still the best for me though. :)

65. Luigino.1 Friday 24th May 2013 at 21:56

Yea I agree. Nintendo's always been 3rd, but now the new Xbox looks like an old DVD player I think we could potentially get to 2nd maybe 1st :mrgreen:

66. hufmeister Friday 24th May 2013 at 22:38

We are back;back to the days where we were on top of the console wars...aww yeahh!

67. ThePsychicExtrem Saturday 25th May 2013 at 18:41

So, They showed off kinect 2. It looks good, kinda. Still though, the original kinect looked simple and for me, it's a pain to use. Early days atm, but that looks cool enough. There was a lot of stuff about sports and tv, and most of e3 was predicted in a 4chan bingo thing. They made a big thing about watching tv on your xbox....who cares? Why would you want to watch tv on your xbox if you can watch it on bbc one or whatever....It seems like that was one of the main things about the console, that and sports, oh man. Fifa 14 was announced along with 2 other games, and it has the exclusive Ultimate team. Good news, i guess. Not a lot of games shown off though, microsoft! Also, The controller isn't that different, but hey, why change something that works. It seems like people WANT something new though, as the Wii U had more than a 200% rise in sales after the xbox one was announced

I'm not interested in the xbox one, and most people don't seem that bothered too. People came out of that conference wondering if it was a gaming console (no joke).It's early days but it seems that the Xbox one will be struggling in next gen. I'm just glad to see Nintendo doing well, thanks microsoft!

68. ThePsychicExtrem Saturday 25th May 2013 at 18:41

Nintendo won last gen, but apart from that you're right.

69. Dean Thompson Tuesday 28th May 2013 at 14:45

True that ThePsychicExtrem, unless that is according to personal preference rather than what is 'widely accepted' or something like that. I think like, me, most reading this might tend to go with Nintendo.

As for your earlier post highlighting the ability to watch your TV on Xbox, they stressed the annoyance of having to switch sources around - it is simply not an attractive interface on just about every TV I have seen - also I should point out that Microsoft made a point of saying that the unveiling comes in two parts with the games coming in the second at E3. This is why it annoys me just a tad that people jump it absolute judgement already. Is it really so bad to use a more tentative discourse?

70. Jecamo Sunday 2nd Jun 2013 at 15:25

I really feel like Nintendo have this basically won.

This is the same for a lot of people out there but even they think that the Wii U would have been a stand alone and wouldn't compete in the next gen battle if it weren't for the others messing up (Xbox ONE, more so).

71. Jecamo Sunday 2nd Jun 2013 at 15:27