Smash Bros Wii U trailer to be shown off during Nintendo Direct

Expect more than screenshots

Masahiro Sakurai has confirmed that the new Smash Bros trailer will be showcased during Nintendo Direct next week. The game, which is coming to 3DS and Wii U, may be a long way off yet but you'll get your first glimpse of it on Tuesday 11 June at 3pm UK time.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata had previously told fans to expect to see the first screenshots of the new Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS games during Nintendo Direct so it's great news to hear that we'll be able to see a video.

Sakurai has said that he hopes to show off both the 3DS and Wii U versions of Smash Bros at E3, adding that the link between the pair will be key.

Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS were confirmed at E3 2011 so fans have had to wait two years to see the game. So far, all we've seen is a sketch...

You'll be able to watch Nintendo Direct on ONM next week. Which characters are you hoping to see in the game?

Comments

1. Slinkington Thursday 6th Jun 2013 at 12:28

A Trailer? Already? I know Namco's helping them out, but I do hope they're not rushing it out ahead of schedule.

2. Greene-Stuff Thursday 6th Jun 2013 at 12:31

EXCITEMENT LEVELS OVER 9000!!!

3. Sam Temblett Thursday 6th Jun 2013 at 12:32

I really want Layton! And Sonic/Tails, Mega Man, Sora among others :D

4. Josh Bethancourt Thursday 6th Jun 2013 at 12:34

I wanna watch it now!! :shock:

5. toffeeman30 Thursday 6th Jun 2013 at 12:37

sakurai confirms trailer, prob see about 30 secs of it

6. shy guy 64 Thursday 6th Jun 2013 at 12:38

HOT DIGGITY DAFFIDOL

7. Tamzily01 Thursday 6th Jun 2013 at 12:38

This is brilliant news. Tuesday can't come soon enough.

8. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 6th Jun 2013 at 12:38

Wow, this is great news! To go from just a few screenshots to an actual trailer! They must have made some great progress!

Okay, so maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. It could well be a mini teaser trailer with just a small amount of footage, like the original announcement trailers of Project X Zone and Fire Emblem X Shin Megami Tensei. Either way, great to have some conformation on this issue.

9. MJTH Thursday 6th Jun 2013 at 12:40

Non Specific Action Figure!

10. manic221 Thursday 6th Jun 2013 at 12:41

Dude it's been 2 years since we heard about this game, As we all know it was an off the cuff reveal from Iwata and as far as were aware the game wasn't started and i believe Sakurai had intended to have a slightly longer break...

But it's safe to assume they've had atleast a years worth of Dev time probably more then that... A year for any developer is enough to show off a trailer for a game.

And 2 - 3 years is sort of average development time for Nintendo.

11. Luigi-Fan Thursday 6th Jun 2013 at 12:53

Seen as though Namco are helping out with this game, i really hope that they put in Characters such as Goku, that would make it even more Awesome :)

12. tohaker Thursday 6th Jun 2013 at 13:44

Non Specific Action Figure!

This one has their priorities straight! I am really looking forward to this - although I only ever played Brawl a year after it came out... BRING ON THE FINAL SMASHES!

13. Liefesa Thursday 6th Jun 2013 at 13:50

OooOOooh! Just felt some of the old excitement I used to get before E3!

Please, a Kikwi assist trophy! :D
    And Skyloft as a battle stage!
    And and and... a playable Golden Sun character with Djinn / summons!
    :D

14. mrmariomaster Thursday 6th Jun 2013 at 15:57

probably mario fighting link.

15. jimbobsquarepant Thursday 6th Jun 2013 at 16:30

Yay! Hopefully they'll do a trailer like the brawl one where we can see how they've changed again! I would like to see some third parties and new characters introduced in the trailer, especially a huge surprise like what Snake was for Brawl.

16. smashbros-kid Thursday 6th Jun 2013 at 17:51

If it's even slightly as awesome as the Brawl reveal then, for me. they've won E3. For the first time in years I'm genuinely excited about what Nintendo has to offer coming into E3.

17. Time-Bomb Thursday 6th Jun 2013 at 17:56

They said they didn't want to make the same game again but with different characters, so I'm gonna guess the trailer will focus more on the new gameplay mechanics, and may save showing off Non Specific Action Figure and the like until a later stage.

On a side note, I might die on Tuesday.

18. Space Arena Thursday 6th Jun 2013 at 18:51

I really hope to see Bowser Jr. and Alph or Brittany from Pikmin 3

19. Toastie Thursday 6th Jun 2013 at 18:53

It has been in development for 15 months. Melee was in development for 13 months total, while Brawl took about two years. Sakurai would not rush a game he is directing, and Nintendo want to keep him happy. Seeing as we could potentially see this game released as early as 2013, and 2014 at the latest, I don't think it's unreasonable to get a trailer now.

20. FrancisDaAwesome Friday 7th Jun 2013 at 20:46

Say what you will, but I think they either need to make Sonic less broken or kick him out. He was ridiculously overpowered in Brawl and it was annoying having to drop out of a group that took ten minutes to join Online because some person decided to wreck everyone else's experience by using him.
    I'm happy they kept Marth, because him and Mario are my most used in Brawl (Yeah, weird coincidence that both names begin with "Mar").
    I hope Waluigi becomes playable, along with Bowser Junior (Who would be able to transform back and forth from Shadow Mario) and Toad. I also think Gengar should be playable, too.
    Also, is anyone up for one of Luigi's alternate outfits looking like Mr. L?

21. The_BAAD_Man Saturday 8th Jun 2013 at 05:37

Amazing! I can hardly wait for Nintendo Direct! Gimme some Golden Sun and Xenoblade Chronicles characters and I'll be a happy man.

22. Namine2593 Sunday 9th Jun 2013 at 10:17

Sora from Kingdom Hearts!!