Zelda: Wind Waker's scrapped dungeons were used in other games - Aonuma

Don't expect any new dungeons in Wind Waker Wii U

Some of the dungeons that were removed from the final version of Wind Waker were actually used in other Zelda games.

A number of dungeons designed for Wind Waker weren't used in the game and concept art from Hyrule Historia has shown Link standing on Stovepipe Island and GameCube Island. Some fans expressed a wish for these to be incorporated into Wind Waker Wii U but Aonuma has said they have already been used in other Zelda games.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Aonuma said: "Quite honestly, those dungeons we removed we used in other games, so we can't use them in this version!"

He added that he wouldn't have included them anyway as he wants Wind Waker Wii U to stay true to the original. "I've received many questions about additional content beyond what was in the GameCube version of the game, but our desire is to stay true of the story that was in the original," added the Zelda producer. "If we add dungeons then that will affect other parts of the GameCube version, which we really want to stay true to."

However, the man behind masterpieces such as Ocarina Of Time and Skyward Sword said that something needed to be done about the pacing of the game. "If it felt like there were maybe too few dungeons then I feel that what was wrong with the GameCube version was the pacing. It was thrown off because it took longer to get to certain dungeons. There was a waiting period, and then when you arrived there the experience maybe didn't feel as big, as you'd waited so long to get there. We're tuning the game to alleviate all that. The pacing should feel appropriate to the overall experience this time... We need to tighten those [gaps] and make the overall experience and story feel tighter."

The Legend Of Zelda Wind Waker Wii U release date has been set for October.

Comments

1. shy guy 64 Friday 14th Jun 2013 at 09:52

i suppose that makes sense, they are known for using unused concepts in later games

2. DragonEleven Friday 14th Jun 2013 at 11:14

Now I want to go through Hyrule Historia to see what things they might include in the next games.

3. Dean Thompson Friday 14th Jun 2013 at 11:33

Now that's the sort of efficient use of assets I like. I can't say I have heard too many people calling out for this to stay true to the original. The concept of course should, but I can't see myself paying for it again without such extra content. My favourite Zelda by the way.

4. Baker1000 Friday 14th Jun 2013 at 13:30

So what games did they use the dungeons in? I don't know what the rejected dungeons were, anyone know?

5. King-X Friday 14th Jun 2013 at 15:16

I'd also like to know where these dungeons got used. I've never seen locations such as GameCube Island anywhere, nor anything that I would relate to a "GameCube Island". And why are they suddenly playing the "true to the original" card when they've added bonus dungeons to Zelda games several times before (eg; Colour Dungeon in Link's Awakening DX)?

6. MartinIsAwesome Friday 14th Jun 2013 at 18:31

At least now this should stop the constant comments of "I hope they restore the scrapped dungeons".
    I'd put money on Twilight Princess's Forest Temple being one of the scrapped dungeons. After all, the Gale Boomerang and it's associeted puzzles are quite befitting The Hero of Winds.

To be fair that was quite a while ago and since then they've rereleased Four Swords and Ocarina of Time 3D which don't add any new "content" to the originals, instead focusing on improved gameplay and graphics (in teh case of OoT at least), which is exactly where their going with this remake.

7. Mr Roboto Saturday 15th Jun 2013 at 19:21

Who cares about those dungeons just release the awesome game NOW! :mrgreen:

8. HaydnRhys Sunday 4th Aug 2013 at 10:01

I wouldn't be surprised if stovepipe island became the Goron mine in Twilight princess