The blue shell will be back in Mario Kart 8

What do you think of the blue shell?

Hideki Konno has confirmed that the blue shell will return in Mario Kart 8. The divisive power-up didn't feature in the E3 2013 demo but the Mario Kart producer said that Nintendo are still thinking about what they're going to do with the item.

"It's not in the demo out there, but it will be in the final version of the game," Konno told MTV.

The blue shell attacks the player in first position, homing in on the racer and sending them flying. It's an item that's useful for newcomers who struggle to compete but skilled players can find it frustrating when they've raced a perfect lap and are knocked out on the line through no fault of their own.

Explaining the value of the blue shell, Konno said: "One of the things that we always think about when making a Mario Kart game is the replay value for the customer. When we made that game, we thought it added something to that value, for people to play over and over again. When you just want to play one more game, one more match.

"So actually the original idea, that we had back in Mario Kart 64 where we hit upon this idea for a Blue Shell weapon, was that it would enable even whoever was in the back of the pack to still want to continue the race, to still want to keep going. Something that would allow them to still have that feeling.

"The first one we made would go straight up the middle of the course, so anyone that was in the way would get damaged as it flew. Then we changed it to the one that flies over and hits that person in first place, and you know, takes them out of their game a little bit. Every time we make a new game we want to challenge ourselves to adjust it a little bit, with something new.

"We're always having this battle of whose side do we take? The person in the back obviously they want something that hits, because that's their chance to influence the game. The person in first, of course, wants to have some kind of chance to get out of the way. That's always something that the designers have to think about, and make small adjustments to figure out the best thing for that particular game.

"That's part of the reason about why it's not out on the floor, because we're still thinking about that balance and what we're going to do with the blue shell."

Do you have any ideas for how the blue shell should be used in Mario Kart 8?

Comments

1. nintendo rules Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 15:44

i would like the version of it in mario kart 7 but when it goes into the air it wings sholud appear

2. Herbert_Rarr Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 15:58

I thought the one in MK7 looked a bit odd without it's wings. Dodging one with a mushroom always makes me smile; it seemed harder to do so in MK Wii and I think it should be difficult.

3. Dpad Lad Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 16:08

Am i the only one who loves that shell? Seriously, it keeps the balance! You would never be able to catch up with the guy in first place if it wasn't for it. And red shells don't help because all first players do is hold bananas behind them!!!

4. DragonEleven Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 16:25

I always liked the blue shell... annoying at time, yes, but that was part of the fun of it.

For Mario Kart 8 I'd like them to basically use the same system as Mario Kart Wii... and if they do change it, rather than changing the item itself, I'd suggest just adjusting when it appears... rather than just being a random item for someone in last, it should also have the added condition that the person in first is a certain distance ahead of the next racer... so that when they get hit, they won't be knocked out of first place... it'll just give the others an opportunity to catch up, so that they can then fight it out for first place normally. My reason behind this is that I would often see (or be) the racer in first place disappearing off ahead of the group, so far ahead that most weapons can't reach, so they are just able to keep increasing their lead while the rest slow each other down with the usual fighting.

A similar mechanism could be used for something like the bullet bill... if the player in last is more than a certain distance behind, they would have a chance to get one, and it would then boost them until they'd caught up to the pack... something like that, just to keep the racers grouped together more, without affecting the racers current positions... giving them the opportunity to gain places, rather than just being handed them automatically.

5. Legendary Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 16:29

It's a bit sad people call it a blue shell, SPINY SHELL

6. dunc247 Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 16:34

7. MartinIsAwesome Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 17:12

I personally think that it should return to it's roots, going along the ground and taking out anyone in the way. That way it's not just the person in first that that has to suffer and feel like the're being punished for doing well. That then creates utter carnage and keeps everyone on their toes.
    That said, you have to think about how that'll be possible when everyone is driving on different surfaces. This is why I'm not working at Nintendo.

8. ihuntermusic Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 17:16

Not a fan :-/ But it is what it is! (Annoying when it hits you like three times in a row but great when it happens to the opposition).

9. danbish Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 17:26

I like the blue shell in Mario Kart. I think it should be more like the blue shell from MK7, along the ground until it nears its target then on approach lift into the air before POW!!! Takes out first place and anyone crazy enough to be around them.

In other words, don't change a thing about it.

10. thenintendoer Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 17:35

the thing I probably most hate about the blue shell is that its always someone towards the back of the race who gets it even though it wont really help them out in anyway, also I up for it acting like it did in Mario kart 64 when it was far more balanced

11. DragonEleven Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 17:49

It's a bit sad people call it a blue shell, SPINY SHELL

Spiny shells are red... blue shells are blue.

12. fatherofthenoo Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 18:09

I don't mind it. But I honestly do hope that there are options to remove items. It would be nice to play a few games purely based on driving skill.

13. Komodo_Wolfgang Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 18:13

This

14. concernedcamel Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 18:38

I don't mind if it's there just nerf it a bit so it doesn't lead too controller breaking moments. :twisted:

15. Zynt_Mcflint Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 18:47

I think it should go back to Mario Kart 64 style, or it should hit everyone in front of the person who uses it. This way it's not punishing the person in first place for doing well, it's helping the person who uses it get some positions up.

I personally think that just destroying the person in first place is very unfair as it helps everyone behind 1st place and they end up like 5th or 6th.

16. Latte Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 18:56

perhaps make it so that a player can only be hit by it once a race? or not at all in the run up to the finish line?

17. K-tet Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 18:58

Agreed. Perhaps a custom feature where you can toggle which individual items to keep/remove would also be beneficial.

Personally I don't have a problem with Blue Shells. Yes they're mighty annoying, especially if it's a tight race, but part of the fun of avoiding a Blue Shell successfully is to have the right item to attempt to avoid it.

One thing I'd personally love to see is the ability to hold Blue Shells behind you. I've seen videos of MKWii hacks where racers have held the Blue Shells behind them, exploding and taking out and and all surrounding racers that crash into it. If that never comes to fruition then fair enough, no big deal.

18. ploiper Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 19:07

I don't mind it but I would prefer it to be a more rarer item that doesn't appear to often. to get hit by it 3 times in one lap is just plain annoying

19. kingdra king Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 20:28

I agree that the game should have an item select menu like that one from brawl where you just ticked or unticked the ones you want.

Isn't this just a bob-bomb?

20. K-tet Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 20:41

Isn't this just a bob-bomb?

No. A Bob-omb you can throw forward or drop behind. If you hit the item button whilst holding a Blue Shell, it's an instant-fire. Being able to hold it out behind you before you let go (like you can with every other normal item) would be a nicer touch.

Obviously you can't fire Blue Shells behind you, although it would be funny if you could do that. Imagine the Blue Shell homing in on the leader flying through the course backwards just to troll them. Oh that would be fun! :lol:

21. Spyrolad Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 20:54

D: Please no Bullet Bill, I will cry!

22. cb140988 Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 21:45

When you think about it, the Blue Shell, as a weapon, is fundamentally flawed.

How so, you ask? Well, 1) You get it when you're at the back of the pack, and 2) It goes straight after the person in first place.

So, I just have to ask - If you're at the back, how on Earth is going after the person in first supposed to help you? Sure, you may have helped whoever's in second or third, but that hardly helps YOU, does it?

And it's not like you can hold onto it, move up the rank a bit more, and use it when when you're closer to the front because, let's face it, without good items, you have virtually no chance of winning.

And that's why I hate the Blue Shell. It serves no practical purpose other than p**sing off the person in first. But if they're REALLY adamant that it return, then hopefully they'll at least give us the option to switch it off.

23. Fubz Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 22:02

It's fine enough in multiplayer. But in single player it gets really annoying when you're just about to secure a gold cup and you're hit by a spiny shell. I feel that the player at the end still has a great chance to make a comeback with all tge other items anyway wit super mushrooms and bullet bills and invincible stars and lightnings, the blue shell is annoying and I feel it's not really needed.

24. Fubz Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 22:03

When you think about it, the Blue Shell, as a weapon, is fundamentally flawed.

Exactly

25. K-tet Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 22:32

I think the main issue is the rubber-banding AI being cheaper than a 5 suit from ASDA. Yes the power items do everything they can to screw you over, but it wouldn't be too much of an issue if the AI wasn't so cheap.

Having said that, if the Blue Shell mechanic is the same as it is in Mario Kart 7 (and 64 before it), where it scuttles across the ground en-route to the leader, knocking whoever happens to be in its path before reaching the leader, then at least it would be a little better. The problem is, as people say, you get it mostly from 8th place down, and unless there's a tussle for 1st place over four or five other karts, it's not exactly effective. Of course, when you're playing single-player and aiming for 1st place every time, the trigger happy computer likes to troll you generously.

I myself am used to it. For Mario Kart Wii in particular, I make sure the items are set to Frantic. I find you get better at a game the more you play it on its hardest difficulty after you've taken the steps you learn the courses and get to grips with the character and vehicle combination you're most comfortable with.

26. InvincibleMJ Tuesday 18th Jun 2013 at 23:17

I like the blue shell, absolutely will have you cursing with rage but for sure that is part of the fun? In MK Wii I always slow down when I'm aware it's coming for me & try to take out those around me with the blast, I think they had it just right on Wii but I like how they are trying to change it a little bit each time

27. liveswired Wednesday 19th Jun 2013 at 00:05

Keep it in there. Simple.

Provide gamers with multiple tournaments and leagues with the options of applying different rules (ie powerups etc).

Option for straight racing and multiple match types and styles - I would particularly love the insanely fast and hectic Double Dash!! gameplay and power ups to be optional!

Oh and what about a track and character editor aka Modnation?

28. GuitarHero Wednesday 19th Jun 2013 at 01:33

Many more people would complain if it was taken out, rather than kept in. Good decision.

29. King-X Wednesday 19th Jun 2013 at 05:24

The main issue with the likes of Mario Kart Wii isn't so much it being there as how ridiculously often it appears and how hard it is to escape. Having three or four on my case consecutively in one race through no fault of my own is a bit much...

It seems Nintendo are taking all feedback into consideration and are trying to come up with a healthy balance so I'm not worried about it. It does make good social entertainment watching it happen to someone else after all.

30. taximadish Wednesday 19th Jun 2013 at 05:47

When you think about it, the Blue Shell, as a weapon, is fundamentally flawed.

It serves no practical purpose other than p**sing off the person in first.

It was better when it skated along the ground, hitting people along the way.
    Then the person in last is helped more, and it's fairer on the person in first.

Bring it back please, Ninty.

31. RSE III Wednesday 19th Jun 2013 at 07:58

I hate the blue shell, but it would feel like the game is missing something if it wasn't included, as it is one of the more unique weapons in Mario Kart.

32. DragonEleven Wednesday 19th Jun 2013 at 09:44

It serves no practical purpose other than p**sing off the person in first.

I think p**sing off the person in first is part of the point... it can get frustrating when you're in last, so p**sing them off can cheer you up... and the practical purpose is that it allows the person in last to influence the outcome of the race, even though it's unlikely that they'll win themselves.

33. Yell-Darb Wednesday 19th Jun 2013 at 14:21

I HATE the blue shell!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

34. Tamzily01 Wednesday 19th Jun 2013 at 14:33

Mario Kart without the blue shell is like fish without chips: still good, but it's not the same without the latter. And while I'm not overly keen on the blue shell, it's still nice to hear it'll be appearing in MK8.

35. Laughlyn Wednesday 19th Jun 2013 at 16:28

When it comes to MK8 i only want one thing... a f*** ton of DLC. i want every track from past MK games made available and a bunch of characters. Nintendo give me that and i would pay 2x, 3x the price the bloody game in dlc lol
    also, give chars their own unique weapon like in DD cos i used to love the tactical aspect of getting the right char and weapon

36. koopa_kicker Wednesday 19th Jun 2013 at 16:29

Some of the best moments on Mario Kart 7, were when somebody gets a blue shell but refuses to use it. They get a free VIP from last to first place sometimes and noone dares drive past them...AKA I've done this many times and tormented enemies by just randomly stopping when in first witht the shell just to see them panic and reverse backwards behind me again :)
    As for Mario Kart 8, I hope it slides across the floor like in Mario Kart 7, to cause havoc in the the front of the pack, not just make 1st place suffer. From the moment the shell is thrown there could be an alert to whoever is in first, to give them time to back up of they want to, then alert the new leader when they overtake them, but once it has locked onto 1st, the warning icon could change to show its wings and spikes out with a flashing red ring around it, just to show the player in 1st they are the target no matter what: this means the blues shell would be more like a hot potato system for the front of the race pack, potentially allowing stragglers to catch up as people further ahead avoid being leader.

37. thecheater887 Monday 24th Jun 2013 at 00:13

I would want it to be like mario kart 7, only it to EXPLODE anyone it hits other than the leader, and keep going untill it explodes the leader, and it should go at least 3 times faster than in mario kart 7 so that way people couldn't just move out of the way. And also, on online play, people with better or worse skill would be mixed around the field. Oh and the item limit should either be two and/or It appears more often and in any position other than first. And even better yet, it should lock onto the leader right when it is used rather than when it is close so that way people couldn't trade the lead just to aviod it. :D

38. manhero Tuesday 25th Jun 2013 at 03:28

Some people dont like even HATE the blue shell :x . But they colud make a new item that will change its path. So it could turn it around or make it fly by. This item can even work on other items like Shells, bananas, fake item block , or bob-bomb to move it out of the way. With aan item like that people won't be SO MAD :x :( and, nothing like this will never have to exist again :D :mrgreen: . I also don't like the blue shell :x !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

39. manhero Tuesday 25th Jun 2013 at 03:31

Yes but sometimes it can go overborad and be devisting sometimes