Sakurai talks Super Smash Bros. Wii U and 3DS differences

Which platform will you play on?

Super Smash Bros. director Masahiro Sakurai has talked some more about the differences that will be in place between the 3DS and Wii U versions of the upcoming Super Smash Bros. game in an interview with NowGamer.

Though there'll be differences between stages and the visuals of both versions, Sakurai's aim was to keep the two versions as similar as possible. Speaking about the roster to NowGamer, he said:

"Fundamentally we're going to have the same characters on both systems. If there was a character you couldn't play on Wii U but you could play on 3DS, or vice versa, that's rough for consumers. So we want players to be able to have the same character experiences on both devices."

In fact, Sakurai doesn't want players to feel as though there is a preference for one console over the other:

"I don't have a preference whether they own the Wii U version or the 3DS version or both versions," Sakurai said. "It's sort of like what I talk about with the game creation philosophy itself - I really want the end user, the game player themselves, to find what they like and really just go with that."

[ Source: NowGamer ]

Comments

1. Herbert_Rarr Friday 21st Jun 2013 at 13:27

I'll be getting both versions! Lucky me.

2. Dean Thompson Friday 21st Jun 2013 at 14:00

I think it is too soon for me to be talking about which version we will get and especially that we might consider getting both Herb. In principle, I see nothing wrong with having a console preference or a preference for owning both, but information may later be disseminated that could radically change your decision.

3. shy guy 64 Friday 21st Jun 2013 at 15:00

so even though we havnt seen the villager and the wft on the 3ds version they'll still be in it cool

i will of course be getting both

4. Pokemon Luke Friday 21st Jun 2013 at 15:24

I will be getting both like almost everyone else although if i could only pick one, it would be the wii u version due to the incredible graphics from the first trailer.

5. DragonEleven Friday 21st Jun 2013 at 15:52

Having always been on home consoles, the Wii U version will most likely be the the best and/or most popular version, so it will be interesting to see how well the 3DS version stands up against that.
    I imagine that most Wii U owners also have a 3DS, or plan to get one for this game, so the majority of these (including myself) will likely be getting both versions... however, I know that there are quite a lot of handheld gamers who only have a 3DS, so I'd be interested to see if playing the 3DS version makes them want to get a Wii U so that they can play the other version as well.

6. Not_Yeti Friday 21st Jun 2013 at 15:58

I am getting Wii U version for sure and probably 3DS later on

7. Waldy565 Friday 21st Jun 2013 at 16:27

I am getting Wii U version for sure and probably 3DS later on

I have a Wii U, but I'm seriously thinking about doing it the other way round!

8. 5OUNDWAVE Friday 21st Jun 2013 at 20:09

wii u for me since there's no cross play , different stage's and maybe 1 or 2 different character's isn't enough to make me buy the same game twice , but if they bring out a smash brother's 3ds xl - not only will i upgrade my 3ds but i'll have both game's as well !

9. lewis1703 Saturday 22nd Jun 2013 at 07:39

I AM GETTING MYNE ON THE 3DS BECUASE I CANT GET A WII U YET :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :

10. jdofthefunk Saturday 22nd Jun 2013 at 12:30

I think it would be interesting if some of the stages were altered to be based on a game from either console or handheld.
    For example:a Spirit Tracks stage for 3DS, and a Twilight Princess stage for Wii U.

11. E123-Fawful Saturday 22nd Jun 2013 at 13:49

It seems to be that way based on the trailers.
    3DS = Spirit Tracks
    Wii U = Skyward Sword.

Also I will get it on both for Smash on the go and multiplayer on console without having multiple machines as well as better online.

12. Wnintendo013 Saturday 22nd Jun 2013 at 18:46

well im playing as the villager since he will murder everyone

13. GuitarHero Saturday 22nd Jun 2013 at 19:01

It'd be nice if they had a cross-buy system, where if you buy the Wii U version you can download the 3DS version for free and vice versa, like the Vita/PS3 do.

However, as that is unlikely, I'll be getting the Wii U (and likely superior) version.