Smash Bros 3DS necessary to evolve the series

Why Nintendo decided to release the new Smash Bros games on both platforms

Masahiro Sakurai has said the 3DS version of Super Smash Bros was the starting point for the new games in the series. According to Sakurai, creating a handheld version of Nintendo's brawler will evolve the series as simply adding more content wouldn't be enough to differentiate it from Brawl and Melee.

Remembering the concept for the project, Sakurai told Puissance Nintendo: "While the development of Kid Icarus: Uprising was at its end, Satoru Iwata came me propose to develop the new Smash Bros game, and asked me if it should be on 3DS or Wii U. We arrived at a point where the series could not evolve, and we wondered if the handheld console was the solution. In the past, we have increased the number of characters and arenas, but this was not enough."

Sakurai added that Nintendo decided to release two versions of the game because of the limitations of 3DS. "At that time, we could have chosen to develop a 3DS version only, but we realised the presence of several limitations. I am referring to the fact of playing a game like Super Smash Bros on a small screen. Thus, even if it is not easy to develop two versions simultaneously, we chose to adapt the game experience to the specifications of each platform."

Speaking of the differences, Sakurai said: "Even though the characters will be the same in the version Wii U and Nintendo 3DS, the arena will be completely different. In the 3DS version, they are based on games released on portable consoles, while Wii U, arenas are based on articles on home console games."

Which version of the game will you buy? Smash Bros Wii U or 3DS or both?

Comments

1. Dean Thompson Wednesday 26th Jun 2013 at 09:02

I think the arena differentiation across 3DS and WiiU are the most interesting facts I have heard about this so far. How much of an impact this has, beside the visual aspect, will determine just how great this differentiation will prove to be. I am not sure how moving it to 3DS makes the series 'evolve' as such now that our beloved home console also has a stylus and touch screen, just a bigger one.

2. JoeOdranDoran Wednesday 26th Jun 2013 at 09:09

So long as the 3DS version is good (I have my doubts, because of small screen, 3DS button layout, technical limitations etc) then I reckon I'll get both.

3. shy guy 64 Wednesday 26th Jun 2013 at 09:28

fair enough

4. big-splat Wednesday 26th Jun 2013 at 09:40

It depends on the prices really. I will get the WiiU version first, then I might get the 3DS one later.

5. DstryrEU Wednesday 26th Jun 2013 at 10:01

I'd like to see some form of bundle at retail so I could pick up both without having to drop Ł80+ to get them. Otherwise Wii U will be my preferred platform.

6. martynm Wednesday 26th Jun 2013 at 10:14

I actually like the fact Sakurai is taking the handheld seriously instead of just fobbing it off with an inferior version Smash. For that reason I admire him.

7. dezeray_07 Wednesday 26th Jun 2013 at 10:20

Definitely getting both versions.

8. K-tet Wednesday 26th Jun 2013 at 11:57

I think there was a pocket-sized demand (no pun intended) for a DS version of Smash Bros loosely based on the N64 version back when the DS was launched, which, looking back at it now, seemed a bit ambitious. Naturally, a handheld Smash is a clear direction for the game to take (after all, Mario Kart went portable on the GBA). Clearly, what Sakurai's focusing on is two different console environments to cater for the same number of characters. This is more of an evolution than we take on face value.

I'm sure there are plenty that would argue for full-on cross-platform compatibility, seeing as the characters are going to be the same. However, if the battle arenas are going to be different, you'd have to incorporate either a select amount of arenas that exist in both versions (which they could still do, perhaps even unified online play with a handful of stages), or include every arena in both versions (which would bulk the game). We're all for generous selections, but nothing too overly-generous I guess.

However, the thought of a sole 3DS version without consideration for a console version is suicidal. Smash is a console game first and foremost. It's a little disheartening to read that they were thinking of only a 3DS version for the time being. It's a good thing they decided not to pursue that route. On the plus side, now that we know the two versions will have key differences (though the character roster remains the same), I'm inclined to buy both versions once they're released.

9. CraigEmberson Wednesday 26th Jun 2013 at 12:33

I honestly think that if they tried it on the DS, it would have been difficult. If they managed it, the game would probably be slow and even harder to see the characters - as well as being forced to be a very small game and not last long.

10. K-tet Wednesday 26th Jun 2013 at 12:44

I refer you back to this:

Bolded the relevant part for your inference.

11. Dapz Wednesday 26th Jun 2013 at 14:37

Overall I say this is a good move. It's good to see that Smash Bros. is coming to a handheld console, which people have been crying out for constantly throughout this forum's 7 years, and I'm also glad to see they're not doing it Mario Kart style, by spacing out the releases on current handheld and current home systems of the era by a year or two. To be honest it's always seemed like deliberate tactic so they can hype up the release two seperate times over, even though a simultaneous release wouldn't hurt anyone since they're the SAME GAME!
    I'll be getting it on 3DS since I don't have a Wii U and don't plan on getting one.

12. TheVelvetRoom Wednesday 26th Jun 2013 at 15:03

While I'm happy to be able to play this without needing to buy a Wii U, I don't really see how forcing them to be functionally the same game evolves the series. It's pretty clear development time and amount of content is going to be affected by how much each version can manage, and I fear we could end up with another lackluster Smash game because they didn't want one side to miss out on anything.

13. carnivine chaos Wednesday 26th Jun 2013 at 15:27

As long as it has Battlefield/Final Destination/variations of Fountain of Dreams/Yoshi's Island (Wii)/Smashville/other tournament-ready stages then it'll be fine.

The WiiU will be much better if not for any reason other than a second stick.

14. K-tet Wednesday 26th Jun 2013 at 15:32

I'm not sure how this applies, though perhaps I'm missing a finer point here.

The graphics on the 3DS version will be Cel-shaded (I have no problem with that), and the stages will be different (as Sakurai wants to give a handheld feel to the 3DS version, and keep the console feel for the Wii U version), but I don't see it differing from say, a single-player and a multiplayer experience. Both should have online play as well as local multiplayer, and I think both versions will offer the same single-player experiences overall.

Would you mind elaborating?

The WiiU will be much better if not for any reason other than a second stick.

I'm almost certain the 3DS version will support the Circle Pad Pro in light of this. It would be maddening if it didn't.

15. lewis1703 Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 17:26