Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS stages: A closer look

John Vekinis examines the new stages in the Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS games

Aside from the new Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS screenshots that Sakurai has been sharing on Miiverse, we haven't heard a great deal of detail about the games so we've all had to watch the trailer repeatedly to glean as much information as possible . We've already taken a closer look at the Smash Bros characters but now I'm focusing on the stages, having compiled a list of the stages we know of, along with a little bit about how I think they could work.

Skyloft

First up, is a stage based on Skyloft from The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. It looks like the fighting platform zooms around the sky, taking in different parts of the town in a similar fashion to Delfino Island in Brawl. Hopefully the stage changes up a bit throughout the fight - I'd like to see the Sky Keep take shape.

Battlefield

Now we have a Smash staple; the Battlefield stage. The stage has been given a graphical overhaul and looks gorgeous. It looks like the time of day can change on the stage and it uses the same tried and tested three small platforms and one main platform system. Battlefield was always a favorite amongst my friends because of its simplicity and it looks like that has been maintained for Smash Bros 4.

Spirit Tracks

Here's the Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks stage. This stage is a 3DS exclusive like the other stages from handheld games. It looks like it would be super hard to launch people upwards with those roofs there. Maybe if you knock your opponents off the train then they'll just get left behind like Big Blue in Melee in Brawl.

Previous 1 2 3 4 Next page

Comments

1. Bootler Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 07:15

A Tetris stage.

2. K-tet Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 08:15

N's Castle as a playable arena I think would be brilliant, plus it'll be a great Pokémon reference.

I also anticipate a Galaxy-style arena for Mario on the Wii U. On a whim, possibly a Rainbow Road battle arena (we had Mario Circuit on Brawl), but for definite, something Lost Worldy for Sonic. I can't see Sonic being left out of Smash 4, plus with both games on 3DS and Wii U (that's both games, Lost World and Smash), would definitely be fitting.

3. vtheyoshi Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 08:42

I would absolutely love an Okami stage and a Luigi's Mansion 2 stage.

4. Toastie Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 08:53

The Arena from Fire Emblem: Awakening is called Arena Ferox.

Personally, I'd love a 'moving' Galaxy stage, similar to the Sunshine one in Brawl. Also, a Professor Layton stage could be really cool.

5. kallymsmarties Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 09:01

I agree with the guy who mentioned a Tetris stage, that is actually a funky idea and it is sort of started with Nintendo so they could do that.

6. NintendanGX Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 10:49

Bionis's Leg. It'd look beautiful in HD

7. RiksilveR Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 11:23

If they have any Golden Sun characters, as I keep hoping (sorry if my repetition is getting annoying), then the Apollo Lens could be a good arena. The statue could change positions during the fight and the harsh sunlight would be a good environmental hazard; either sudden bursts of light doing big damage to anyone not in the shade or constant small damage when in sunlight. Plus, the Umbra Clan's big hovership thing could drop in from time to time. This'd obviously have to be on 3DS though, seeing as GS has always been a handheld series.

8. Tamzily01 Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 11:25

If not N's Castle, then at least something from Gen V would be nice. Chances are high we'll also be getting a new Pokemon Stadium stage.

9. shy guy 64 Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 12:00

you missed the wii fit stage

10. Conal Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 13:30

A stage taking place on Megaleg himself, maybe?

11. E123-Fawful Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 14:43

I am hoping for a Bottle Ship stage from Metroid Other M where it goes to different areas on the ship.
    One area could be nightmares room where he messes with the Gravity and another could be Ridley's Lair with him blasting the stage and having other monsters involved with lights going on and off (Frigate Orpheon) and Lava Levels changing (Brinstar). The final area could either be the area where Phantoon is fought or Samus' ship.

I also think that there could be an Earthbound stage seeing as it's getting released at the end of the year. Fight in Giygas' area with Pokey getting involved as well as some fighters not being able to grasp the true form of Giygas' attack.

12. Loopydoodle Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 16:09

I just hope that the campaign mode is just as enthralling as "The Subspace Emissary" was in Brawl. We already know that it won't be the same but hopefully the story telling within it will be just as good because part of the fun of Smash Bros. is seeing all these characters joining forces and fighting each other. I thought that the Warioware stage in Brawl was a great concept and worked really well so I'd be hoping for something similar. A Nintendo Land stage would be really cool, especially if it moved throughout all the minigames like having to avoid ghosts in the Luigi's Mansion mini-game or picking up the power-ups before the Yoshi cart does would be awesome. A scrolling Tetris stage where you have to avoid falling tetrominos would be really cool aswell.

13. ultimatebuffalo Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 16:17

Bionis's Leg. It'd look beautiful in HD

run xenoblade on a Dolphin to play the whole game in HD.

SSE was pretty meh in brawl, hopefully if they do a story mode it would be a bit more thought out.

there should be a Wii fit gym style level to accompany trainer.

perhaps a megaman level i duno.

14. IRNBRU64 Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 16:57

A Tetris stage.

AVOID ALL THE BLOCKS!

15. IRNBRU64 Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 16:59

That one about Punch Out got me thinking, the bloke from Punch Out would make a swagilicous character!

16. IRNBRU64 Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 17:01

A Mario Kart stage like (NOT THE SAME!) the one in Brawl would be really cool!

17. lewis1703 Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 17:06

maybe the nintendo office now that would be epic and i mean EPIC!

18. Tomuki Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 18:07

I think the boxing ring is actually just based on that boss battle from Kirby Superstar Saga,
    'cause if you look in the lower right corner of the ring, just below the bottom rope, is Sir Kibble,
    the chap with the bladed boomerang on his helmet.

19. Bootler Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 19:20

Not sure if enthralling is the right word for it...

Don't get me wrong, it was an interesting idea. But Subspace Emmisary could have done much better in execution. It didn't need to cram every last character in there, it could have focused on a core few. It also needed some kind of coherent plot. And there was no need for Tabbuu to be in there. The game already has villains like Bowser and Ganondorf in it, why should I care about this bald hologram dude?

If they do something like Subspace Emmisary again, it needs a bit of an overhaul. Better story, less main characters, stick with the Nintendo villains, and have the levels feel less stapled together. Subspace was a fun idea, but I really only played it to unlock everyone and haven't played it since. It would be nice to have a reason to go back into the story mode.

20. Boromir_Smiles Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 20:22

Great so far! Big fan of pretty much all of the designs of the new stages (and the facelift in Battlefield is really neat).

Just one quick and slightly unrelated question, was Spirit Tracks that popular/well received as a game?

I'm not knocking the choice of stage (I generally prefer the movement based courses, if it is one, like Pokefloats, Big Blue, etc) but I didn't think ST was that popular a game, or that well liked as a Zelda title. :oops:

21. nintyspong3826 Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 21:13

The mystery one looks like Trine. The 3 Trine characters could easily work in Smash Bros. like Pokemon Trainer...

22. Waldy565 Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 22:37

I hope Skyloft goes into it's Silent Realm state, a bit like Animal Crossing changing with the clock in Brawl. On a related note: Only Demise to go now, then I've FINALLY completed it! Moving on...
    The battlefield stage really shows off the Wii U graphics, and that sunset looks fantastic!
    The Mario one looks... eh. Looks like a beta stage, um, stage. Either that or something else awesome happens later on.

The Fire Emblem stage could be awesome. I don't think I've seen it in action (that is, if it has been shown in action!) so can't pass judgement, but I loved the one in Brawl, so something like that would be awesome!
    We've all ready seen that you can "hide" in the Nintendogs stage, under them "toys" or whatever they are, but like you said, hopefully the pup does something interesting to add to the battle too!
    I liked Spirit Tracks, but there's not a lot you can do on a train... Maybe them "evil trains" come along and Train Engineer Link has to swerve out the way, or Chancellor Cole comes and Link has to fight him off, and maybe one of the characters has to take control of the train? Or it crashes and that's the next "stage" of said stage? That would be pretty awesome!
    I didn't realize it was Gerudo Valley, I thought it was Kakariko Village from TP!
    And when I saw the boxing ring, my first thoughts were Punch-Out, nothing else.

23. Darkblizz Sunday 30th Jun 2013 at 23:09

Dragonspiral Tower. That is all.

24. PeterPan Monday 1st Jul 2013 at 10:35

The currently-revealed stages are a bit of a mixed bag. The Zelda ones are good (except Spirit Tracks is boring to me as I've never played that game) and Dr. WIlly's Castle is also good. The Animal Crossing one seems lazy (it's essentially a remake of the last one; if it was one of the Retro stages that would be grand, but not a brand-new stage) and one or two of them seem boring (Nintendogs and Mario 3D Land) Yeah, I think the Boxing Ring might be a reference to Punch-Out but, even if Little Mac does become a playable character, it obviously won't be his debut appearance in the Smash Bros. series. He was an annoying little bugger when your foes summoned him from Brawl's assist trophies.

What stages would I like to see?
    1. A better Luigi's Mansion stage (where the action actually takes place inside in the mansion and the portrait ghosts from the first Luigi's Mansion can be heard/seen and Mr. Lugg's servants are throwing plates at us)

2. Seeing as his creators are helping make the game, I say it's a safe bet that Pac-Man will be a playable character. He'll hopefully bring with him a maze level which, frankly, would be amazing. Imagine having to flee the ghosts whilst struggling to battle the other players.

3. They also made Mr. Driller right? While I don't see Mr. Driller getting the chance to be anything more than an Assist Trophy ('though he'd be awesome as a playable character), I would love to see a level based on his games.

4. Holodrum. Probably won't happen as there's already an overload of Zelda games but it would be awesome for two reasons (1) Capcom made Oracle of Seasons (2) They could change the seasons in the stage, so one moment you're skating on ice and the next you're drowning in water.

5. A Mario Party Board-game level. Maybe with that nice car from Party 9, item-boxes in the shape of dices and several random events (such as everyone getting a Mini Mushroom or everyone being chased by Chomp)

6. A Super Mario Galaxy level is inevitable, as one hasn't appeared in the series yet. Maybe it could be a moving platform which brings the fighters throughout the universe, passing all the different galaxies from both games, Starship Mario, Peach's Castle and the Observatory-complete with the mesmerising Gusty Gardens (or whatever it's called) soundtrack. That would be breath-taking.

7. It's ridiculous that Professor Layton hasn't been confirmed yet. Even though he is third-party and, thus, there'd be a reason for him to not be in the game, he is an important character and I'd love to play as him. I have three ideas for his level: (1) It could be a puzzle-based level, akin to the WarioWare level in Brawl, where you have to complete the puzzle in a certain time-limit. This has potential but could be very distracting when we're meant to be fighting. (2) The Curious Village, complete with the runaway ferris wheel of course. (3) Aboard the Molentary Express (a lot more entertaining than the Spirit Tracks train, especially if you can throw food around and bash into that hamster and the pompous lady's poodle)

8. A better Pikmin level, maybe for the Wii U version so that it can have Pikmin 3's graphics? The Pikmin level in Brawl was a disaster so I'd like to see how they'd try and fix that.

9. A level based on the Wii U/3DS (depending on what version of the game it is).

10. A Wuhu Island level (complete with Pilotwings Handgliders and Sports' bowling). It would totally justify the inclusion of the Miis. Maybe the music of the level could be from Wii Music? (And, if Sakurai and co were really cool, they could use music that we recorded in Wii Music ourselves, if there's a save-file on the Wii part of the Wii U. That could be sweet.) Also, while not a level as such, Sakurai would really be missing a trick if (for the cutscenes/intro) he didn't show that the Smash. Bros fighting complex is actually a part of Nintendoland Theme Park.

But yeah, if they bring back Melee's Fountain of Dreams and The Temple (again) I'll be happy.

25. WOLFENFTW Monday 1st Jul 2013 at 17:11

Is it possible that train driver Link is a cleverly disguised new character?

26. taximadish Tuesday 2nd Jul 2013 at 05:21

A Tetris stage.

This. It'd be amazing.

27. mikurotoro Friday 5th Jul 2013 at 09:04

I know I keep asking but the number 1 stage I want in Smash is the Wii Channels! Nothing else. But I don't think Nintendo cares about those anymore since they shut those down but since they're going with Wii games and Wii Fit for SSB4 Wii U I think it would be perfect for SSB4. I mean Brawl had Pictochat so why not the channels? Please Nintendo?

28. SamManSam Friday 12th Jul 2013 at 11:24

I've always, since I started playing Melee, wanted a Bowser's Castle stage. Also, now that Olimar's been confirmed, if they don't have a Pikmin 3 stage, then a Wistful Wild stage from Pikmin 2 would look absolutely beautiful. I also wouldn't mind a similar Luigi's Mansion stage to Brawl's. Except this time, when you destroy the Mansion it could rebuild as a random Mansion from 2. Or a King Boo's Illusion stage.