New Smash Bros 3DS screenshot shows off Super Mario 3D Land stage

It's Pikachu Vs Kirby in the Mushroom Kingdom

The latest Super Smash Bros 3DS screenshot is a beauty. It shows Kirby chasing after Pikachu in the Super Mario 3D Land stage.

It looks just like the 3DS platformer with Peach's Castle in the background, question mark blocks and those orange platforms that fall away when you run on them. Pikachu had better watch out for those.

This Smash Bros stage, along with the Spirit Tracks, Arena Ferox, Nintendogs and Gerudo Valley will be exclusive to the 3DS version of the game.

What do you think of this stage?

Comments

1. lminett Tuesday 9th Jul 2013 at 10:58

That looks fun, can't wait to see these levels in action.

2. Quarg Ranger Tuesday 9th Jul 2013 at 11:00

Looks like a scrolling stage to me.

3. Tamzily01 Tuesday 9th Jul 2013 at 11:07

Looks like a scrolling stage to me.

It does look that way. Chances are it'll be similar to Mushroomy Kingdom from Brawl, in that it loops back to the start once you pass the finish post. There may even be an underground stage based on SM3DL too, as an alternative to the overworld one.

4. CraigEmberson Tuesday 9th Jul 2013 at 11:39

I'm starting to think Smash Bros. on 3DS is a mistake. I love the idea of having it on 2 platforms, but there are a couple of problems for me:

1. Content varies between games, coming across as an obvious ploy to make people buy both.
    2. The Wii U is suffering, so having it on 3DS just makes most people jump to that version and not bother buying a Wii U for this.
    3. The 3DS version won't be able to fit as much data and it seems they're totally refusing the option of using an 8GB 3DS cart.
    4. Both versions won't have a single player story mode, this annoys me hugely. Where's the fun in just attacking on levels all the time? I need a story to work with... or it gets old.

5. shy guy 64 Tuesday 9th Jul 2013 at 12:03

well based on what sakurai said on miiverse the two mario stages we've seen so far are in fact one in the same

6. Zing06 Tuesday 9th Jul 2013 at 12:18

Your first point kinda negates the second, having different content for each version is an incentive to buy the WiiU version, if they both had the same then the WiiU version would probably fail to launch, only selling to the die hard fans or people that want to play with friends that don't usually play Nintendo games and don't own a 3DS

7. imbusydoctorwho Tuesday 9th Jul 2013 at 12:30

With all these 3DS exclusive stages,I might have to buy both.

8. MartinIsAwesome Tuesday 9th Jul 2013 at 12:37

Just a sec... Wasn't there another stage what was supposed to be from Super Mario 3D Land? The one with the green platforms above a river with giant spiked columns that shoot up.
    I have a feeling that this might actually be a New Super Mario Bros stage.

9. IRNBRU64 Tuesday 9th Jul 2013 at 13:00

Super Mario 3D world stage for Wii U? pwetty pwease?

10. Time-Bomb Tuesday 9th Jul 2013 at 13:39

I have a feeling that this might actually be a New Super Mario Bros stage.

I think it's the same stage. It just scrolls along to that part witht he spiked columns later perhaps.

11. tomonm Tuesday 9th Jul 2013 at 14:42

I have a feeling that this might actually be a New Super Mario Bros stage.

Matthew assures me that those orange platforms weren't in NSMB.

12. shy guy 64 Tuesday 9th Jul 2013 at 15:02

I have a feeling that this might actually be a New Super Mario Bros stage.

sakurai's comment on miiverse implies they are one in the same

13. MartinIsAwesome Tuesday 9th Jul 2013 at 17:00

That's me told then XD
    I'd actually be please to be wrong about that as if they are indeed the same stage, then that could be one dynamic stage! I hope so at least.

14. Waldy565 Tuesday 9th Jul 2013 at 19:47

Nice to see a new level, any news on Smash is good news to be fair! I'm really interested in what stages Sakurai-san has chosen - he and his team has shown he listens to the fans - hopefully he'll keep listening to suggestions all the way post-debugging, literally a week before it hits the shelves. A fan's Smash is a perfect Smash :D

15. Waldy565 Tuesday 9th Jul 2013 at 19:49

With all these 3DS exclusive stages,I might have to buy both.

I was sold on both from the start!

16. IPecksU Wednesday 10th Jul 2013 at 01:13

Hoping for Shulk! Could you imagine how good a Xenoblade themed stage could be? Imagine it being set during the battle between the mechonis and bionis. Or to possibly 1-up that it could even transition through all of the levels from the game to mix up the obstacles and possible enemies and stuff. I also want them to recreate the AMAZING view you get on the fallen arm from the distant fingertip.

17. DragonEleven Thursday 11th Jul 2013 at 08:43

1. I think there's more reason to buy both in order to get the HD graphics and local multiplayer experience of the Wii U version, and the 3D graphics and portability of the 3DS version... the other version differences seem more like they're there to make each version more different for those who buy both, rather than being a reason to buy both.
    2. Smash Bros has always been on home consoles... it has a good reputation on them, so the majority of people who have played the series before would naturally go for the Wii U version, and would be more hesitant about the slightly risky 3DS version, as it's hard to tell how well a handheld version would work, making it a secondary purchase for most people. However, handheld gamers who may not have been interested in the series before would be more likely to get the 3DS version, and if they enjoy it enough they might be encouraged to get the Wii U version as well in order to experience its original format, which would improve Wii U sales in the long run.
    3. I've heard that people have tested the different capacity cards and the larger ones have a slower data transfer rate... it's not noticeable with the sizes currently used, but I suspect it may be with the 8GB cards, which is probably why they chose not to use them.
    4. They've never said that they won't be doing a story mode... just not one like SSE with all of the big cinematic cutscenes.

18. lewis1703 Saturday 13th Jul 2013 at 07:17

i just want this game now that olimar is in so i can beat the hell out of him