Why Pikmin 3 didn't work on 3DS

Miyamoto explains all

Shigeru Miyamoto has explained why Pikmin 3 wouldn't work on 3DS. The creator of Pikmin previously told ONM that Nintendo created Pikmin on 3DS and GBA but now, in an interview with 4Gamer, he said there was a reason why the Wii U game couldn't appear on a handheld console.

Playing Pikmin on the touchscreen with the stylus seems natural but according to Miyamoto, the prototyped 3DS version just didn't feel like a Pikmin game.

"The truth is we were doing prototype tests of Pikmin for the DS and 3DS but it turned into unit management with only the touch pen and no matter what it just didn't seem like Pikmin.

"We concluded that Pikmin is a game that revolves around action based on its controls and the strategy sits on top that. Although there are elements that are built on the strategy, there are other overall things that have to be well considered. This complete experience is an important elements of Pikmin."

The controls has always been an important part of Pikmin and although Pikmin is said to be inspired by Miyamoto's interest in gardening, Miyamoto's aim when creating the GameCube original was to create the easiest-to-control 3D game.

"The truth is when we made 1, we were trying to make the easiest to control 3D game around," Miyamoto continued. "The focal point was Olimar walking around on screen but the majority of the interface was those controls. They didn't interfere with anything else. There weren't many 3D games that were that simple to move around in since you could play without even having to control the camera.

Thanks to the controls, Miyamoto said that Pikmin 3 is an easy-to-play action game. "This game may seem difficult on first glance but once you try the controls, it's easy. Even if you find using the pointer difficult, there is a control method using the GamePad similar to the previous GameCube titles that we'd like people to utilize. To that end, we hope people are able to look at this as a carefree, easy action game."

[ Source: Kamedani ]

Comments

1. darkridoom Monday 29th Jul 2013 at 08:41

Thats nice but when is nintendo tvii coming to europe

2. big-splat Monday 29th Jul 2013 at 09:14

Even if the controls would have been good on 3DS, I'm glad it was Wii U. It wouldn't have been anywhere near as good on 3DS!

3. Slinkington Monday 29th Jul 2013 at 09:34

I can't pass judgement as I've never played a Pikmin game, but the 3DS and the Wii U Tablet controller seem fairly similar. The only advantage I can see to the Wii U Tablet Controller is that it was four shoulder buttons and two analogue sticks.

I don't get what he means about using the Wii U Tablet Controller for the touch screen? The 3DS has one.

4. Waldy565 Monday 29th Jul 2013 at 09:39

I know Nintendo are always looking for developers who make interesting use of the touchscreen, and so therefore they should definetley have touchscreen options, but for easy controls - circle pad moves the player, A plucks Pikmin/ lobs Pikmin, L or R for the whistle, and D-Pad for the camera, that's about it right? I mean, I know Nintendo and Miyamoto-san would implement it better then what I've just said, but still... I'd like to see it AND think it's possible, but that's just me!

5. CraigEmberson Monday 29th Jul 2013 at 10:26

Thats nice but when is nintendo tvii coming to europe

I'd imagine we'll get it in the October update :)

6. CraigEmberson Monday 29th Jul 2013 at 10:27

The issue with that is that you'd be holding the 3DS with your left hand, while also using the circle pad. Your other hand wouldn't be holding the 3DS, using the stylus - it's awkward and would hurt your left hand.

7. Pappi Monday 29th Jul 2013 at 11:48

I really want it on the 3DS...surely these are minor snuffles?

8. imbusydoctorwho Monday 29th Jul 2013 at 13:16

In all honesty I think Pikmin is much more suited to home consoles,than handhelds.

9. DragonEleven Monday 29th Jul 2013 at 13:24

Even if they couldn't do a normal style Pikmin game, they could start a spin-off series for the handhelds... if they've already been experimenting with it they probably aren't far off from being able to do a little e-shop game to see how popular the style would be.

10. NintendanGX Monday 29th Jul 2013 at 16:40

Although Pikmin games would be much better on home console, and I definitely think Nintendo should make Pikmin 4 (expanding on the amazing additions Pikmin 3 brought to the table, making the game last even longer, introducing maybe one or two new Pikmin types while keeping previous ones, giving Pikmin even more puzzle-solving abilities and online co-op and competitive modes), I still think a 3DS spin-off game would work great, if it takes a few pages from Pikmin 3's book.

11. Waldy565 Monday 29th Jul 2013 at 18:39

I don't quite understand - surely you'd grip the console with both hands, using the circle pad to move, then maybe you need to see to your left, so you stop and use the d-pad to move the camera, then carry on. Anyway, you'd have to grip it with both hands to use the A/B/X/Y button to pluck/lob Pikmin.