Top five Pokemon Types

John Vekinis reveals his top five! What's your favourite?

Another week and we've had more exciting Pokemon X and Y news but I don't want to get involved in the Mega Pokemon debate. Instead, I want to talk about types. One of my favourite new things about the new Pokemon 3DS games is the new Fairy Type.

A two times offensive boost to dragon types is a welcome addition which should help sort out a pesky Garchomp or Salamance. A few veterans of the Pokemon world such as Gardevoir are getting retconned to become part Fairy Types, making for a pretty interesting changeup which we haven't seen since Steel and Dark were introduced way back in Gold and Silver. Now this got me thinking about what my favourite types are overall, so I've jotted down my top five and hopefully Fairy can make its way on the list come the release of X and Y.

Fire

My number five type has to be Fire. Fire is undoubtedly one of the top offensive types in the game; with high speed and often monumental attack stats, they make for some of the best sweepers in the game. On top of all of that, there are some pretty nice looking Pokemon repping the fire type; Rapidash and Ninetails come to mind. The reason Fire is relegated to fifth is that it can sure dish out those heavy hitters but it definitely can't take it. Low defensive stats mean a heavy hit should take 'em out.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next page

Comments

1. keir Saturday 10th Aug 2013 at 09:07

My favourite type is dragon because of Rayquaza

2. RSE III Saturday 10th Aug 2013 at 09:23

I think the best type is ground - it is super effective against five types and is immune to electricity, which is great if you have a dual water/ground Pokčmon like Swampert.

3. Jimalsrulz Saturday 10th Aug 2013 at 10:00

I'd agree with fire, bug and grass - but i think ice should be in there somewhere.

4. SuperNintyFan333 Saturday 10th Aug 2013 at 10:05

My favourite types are dark, dragon and fire because I am a big fan of powerful special attacks like flamethrower, dark pulse, draco meteor and eruption. They are also quite cool pokemon.

5. pokefan247 Saturday 10th Aug 2013 at 11:50

i just love fire because i almost always pick that starter it is strong against alot of types and come on, infernape is just pure awesome! :)

6. LeoWarioHobbs33 Saturday 10th Aug 2013 at 12:23

Bug and Ghost are my favourites! Volcarona and Gengar! :D

7. theycallmejack Saturday 10th Aug 2013 at 12:37

Water is definitely my favourite type, just because there's many cool water Pokemon like Swampert, Gyrados, Politoed etc. Second favourite type would have to be electric. Dunno why, I just like electric types!

8. Kirby8 Saturday 10th Aug 2013 at 13:07

I am definitely a fire pokémon trainer and fanatic. I love Fire ever since having that little Charmander and have never stopped loving them. Fire Pokémon are always awesome, especially when it comes to Gen I and II.

9. Radiokoj Saturday 10th Aug 2013 at 15:13

No mention of Psychic types, the strongest special attackers in the game? Fair enough the last few generations haven't done them justice but hopefully this gen will sort that out, Alakazam is boss!

10. wghtmf Saturday 10th Aug 2013 at 17:20

Bug is my favourite, closely followed by Steel.

11. Super_Sonic96 Saturday 10th Aug 2013 at 18:15

My favourite is grass too, and for the same reasons. Ahh Bulbasuar. Dark is also my second favourite type - Dark pokemon have my favourite designs out of all the pokemon, and I have a very soft spot for Umbreon after playing pokemon coliseum to death when I was younger :D

12. 9 Times Saturday 10th Aug 2013 at 19:37

For me it's got to be Electric. I know It's a cliche, but it has a lot of my favourites. And I mean a LOT:

Dedenne
    Raichu
    Rotom
    Shynx
    Luxray
    Joltik
    Lanturn
    Emolga
    Minun/Plusle
    AAAAAND Zekrom

13. KH81314 Saturday 10th Aug 2013 at 21:43

Dragon and Fire are the best and Bug is the worst.

14. Pyron12 Sunday 11th Aug 2013 at 08:00

Normal type is the best. One weakness and lots of variety with their movesets. Oh and it has Eevee as well :3

15. GGSloMo Sunday 11th Aug 2013 at 13:16

Best type in my opinion is Water. Don't hate.

16. FoxMcCloud Monday 12th Aug 2013 at 10:49

Dragon Type is the ultimate type. They are the hardest to find, catch and raise. They are strong against most types and look totally bad ass! :-) I really hate the thought that my Dragonite will be destroyed by a bloody Clefairy in X & Y !!?? That is a really stupid decision by Game freak! :-(