Pokemon X and Y's best new Pokemon

Who will be on your team? John Vekinis picks his favourites so far...

With Pokemon X and Y less than a few months away, I've already started thinking about who will be in my team. Even though only a handful of Pokemon have been revealed so far and no stats have been announced, I'm like a football fan who is busily picking his first eleven before the transfer window has closed. I'm mostly working with typings and how cool they look to make my decision. Basically, it's my favourite new Pokemon.

My Starter will undoubtedly be Chespin. I don't even have to know his stats or final evolution; all I know is that he's a Grass Starter and I always go for the Grass Starter. I don't think Grass has ever been the best of the Starters, besides possibly a Dream World Serperior, but force of habit means I'm still definitely picking up Chespin.

Next up has to be the Talonflame evolution line. Fire Pokemon have always been a bit hard to come by in standard playthroughs; they're not exactly as common as Bug types. I recall having to hunt down a Ponyta in Pokemon Diamond to take down the Ice Gym because that was the only Fire Pokemon in the whole region bar Chimchar. Talonflame's part Flying type will also help it out with a Ground immunity and the ability to learn Brave Bird, a favourite attack of my Staraptor back in Generation IV; a nice bonus.

I've gotta give a spot to Malamar. Malamar looks awesome but more importantly it has a never-before-seen type combo. Its Dark-Psychic mix makes for a handy immunity to Psychic, a nasty four times weakness to Bug and that's it; all other attacks are normal effectiveness. Bug type attacks are not exactly the most common moves in the competitive scene so there's not much to worry about there. Hopefully Malamar can get a fighting move to go along with a Dark and Psychic for some great type coverage.

The final Pokemon I'm confortable adding to my team for now is one I'm not even sure I can get before I move on to the National Dex: Sylveon. Not too much is known about Sylveon as we don't actually know what the new Fairy type does besides being super effective against Dragon. I guess beating up dragons, being an Eveelution and my general curiosity is good enough to be on my team. I still have my doubts that it'll be in the Kalos Dex - Eevee normally doesn't turn up on regional dexes.

So those are my picks for my X/Y team so far. From the new Pokemon who have been announced so far, who is in contention for your team?

Comments

1. PacifistBoxer Monday 26th Aug 2013 at 08:12

So far it's Chespin, Taloonflame, Blaziken (Event), Noivorn, Pangoro and Helioplite. I've also decided to have every pokemon for my online team from different gens.

2. RiksilveR Monday 26th Aug 2013 at 09:34

I've kind of set my heart on Chespin, especially since I realised that picking him would fall in line with an inadvertent tradition of mine: I always somehow end up choosing the starter weak against the first gym. Charmander vs Brock, Chikorita vs , Torchic vs Roxanne, Chimchar vs Roark and then in Gen V you're ALWAYS weak to the first gym. So, I've decided to keep up tradition; Chespin is going to be weak to the first (bug type) gym and as such he's my starter.
    I think Talonflame may end up on the team too, and there's something about Flabébé that makes me want it on my team, but past that I'll work on my team as I go through Kalos. I found that planning out my whole team in Gen V lost some of the magic of the Pokemon games.

3. Pokemon Luke Monday 26th Aug 2013 at 11:22

Well, my starter depends on the final evolutions and as for the game, yveltal is good, also i think mega lucario is my favourite mega evolution so far

4. DynamicPunch202 Monday 26th Aug 2013 at 11:33

I know for a fact I'm having Noivern, Pangoro, Litleo, Yveltal, Gogoat and probably Froakie. But there are still loads more Pokemon that haven't been revealed yet, and I'm still mulling over some Pokemon. Who knows? I may even have Honedge in there simply because no one loves him.

5. PacifistBoxer Monday 26th Aug 2013 at 11:39

There's a reason no one likes him.

6. 9 Times Monday 26th Aug 2013 at 12:55

I never do all that 'plan a team, plan everything' sort of approach. I just choose a starter, and things just naturally go forward. It really adds to the adventure.

7. K-tet Monday 26th Aug 2013 at 13:20

I know I'll be using Malamar because I've been wanting a Dark/Psychic dual-type since Gen 3. However, I have concerns with this from the article:

It's not the Bug-type attacks you've got to worry about, it's mostly Scizor and Volcarona, as well as anything with either Signal Beam or Bug Buzz that's going to shut you down. Unless the Special Attack and Speed on Malamar is enough to outpace and OHKO Scizor with Hidden Power Fire, T-Scizor's with Bug Bite will surely OHKO Malamar without a Swords Dance boost. Volcarona just needs one Quiver Dance before Bug Buzz becomes extremely tough to deal with. Yanmega with Speed Boost only needs to use Protect/Detect once before Bug Buzz becomes an issue. Jolteon is commonly seen with Signal Beam (in my experience), and that base 130 Speed becomes a handful twinned with that base 110 Special Attack. If it's holding Choice Specs with Max Speed and Special Attack, Malamar's dead and buried. Galvantula can also cause problems due to how fast it is. If Malamar was considered for Ubers, Genesect checks it completely.

Xerneas I'd use in Ubers, because it's a Fairy-type, but I'll be looking into using Fairy-types anyway. I still don't know who I'm going to start off with, mind you. Honedge I'd use unless it lacks Levitate. Ground-types are going to remain stalwarts in the Gen 6 Metagame.

8. theycallmejack Monday 26th Aug 2013 at 13:28

I'm torn about my starter, it really is all down to final evos for me since I think the designs of all the base forms are pretty fantastic!
    Talonflame will be a must have for me, unless Litleo's evolution loses the 'Normal' type (don't know why but I have always thought Normal type was terrible ever since I was a kid, I know it has its uses, but I hate it) and gets a cool type like dark or something. Sylveon is a possibility, and I really want Dedenne to be a good battler because it's just so adorable!
    With the amount of Fire types available this Gen, I'm debating whether to get both X and Y and have one of them be a fun, gimmicky play through with an all fire team of Litleo, Talonflame, Torchic, Fennekin and whatever other fire types are out there!
    Whatever the case, I am ridiculously hyped for these games!!

9. Tamzily01 Monday 26th Aug 2013 at 13:40

I've definitely got eyes on Chespin, Sylveon and Malamar for my team. I've also got plans to include Vivillon, since I don't often use Bug types in my main game party. Other than that, I'm unsure what else to include. Awesome as Pangoro looks, I've already got a Dark type in there. Helioptile is a possibility, as is Honedge. However, we still don't have the full selection of Gen 6 Pokemon, so the last two of my party members are subject to change.

10. koopa_kicker Monday 26th Aug 2013 at 13:44

There's a reason no one likes him.

No, no, no. You have it wrong. I actually predicted/said to my mates there should be a Ghost/Steel type that is the form of a possesed weapon or armour, and it's here... so I do like the look of Honedege and will definately try get one in my team. Yes, you probally know it's name is similar to 'honed edge', but it also sounds similar to ownage. I've seen many people that like it. What do you have against it? It being what should be an inanimated object? It's a ghost, so meh.

11. PacifistBoxer Monday 26th Aug 2013 at 14:03

It's the same thing I have against Rotom, but at least Rotom has multiple forms. I find it lazy they just slapped eyes and a hand onto an ordinary item. I wouldn't mind it if they added more, but they didn't. I think it's only there to (a) appeal to 8 yer old boys obsessed with weapons and scary things and (b)to fill up space on the pokedex.

12. Sex Bob-omb Monday 26th Aug 2013 at 15:36

I was torn between Chespin & Fennekin but the Torchick event helped me decide because I like to try and have six different types in my party

13. Kieran Chester Monday 26th Aug 2013 at 16:09

My team will have fennekin fletchling and gogoat. Eevee is in every regional dex. Excluding unova (Black & White) :D

14. Luke Ario Monday 26th Aug 2013 at 19:34

Litleo looks cool and I think that I would have it if it has a cool evolution. I usually choose fire-type starters but Chespin is my starter choice at the moment, though if I like Fennekin's evolution that will be my choice. Otherwise I like Helioptile, Pangoro and Noivern, and I would finish my team off with a Lucario and it's Megalution.

15. kenai Monday 26th Aug 2013 at 19:46

for now I plan to have chespin, blazakin, and Honededge. The other three I'm waiting to see what is offered.

16. TheVelvetRoom Monday 26th Aug 2013 at 19:57

Pangoro. Literally just Pangoro. I really need to see more of the 6th Generation, because not even the starters are interesting me.

17. Time-Bomb Monday 26th Aug 2013 at 20:20

Froakie's in my team for sure. Maybe helioptile too. I would have had Talonflame as my flyer but now I'll probably have Torchic, so need a new flyer!

18. CraigEmberson Monday 26th Aug 2013 at 23:29

Chespin: Simply because I'm unsure of their evolutions and Chespin could turn into a Hedgehog with leafy spikes all over it's back, which is awesome.

Bunnelby: He looks goofy and cute at the same time and we haven't had a decent Rabbit before (Bunneary was awful and too feminine for me, which is the typical "cute" view of Rabbits - that doesn't do it for me).

Pancham: I love this little guy, with how he thinks he's tough but isn't so much. I love Pangoro's look too, he's fierce and huge - even better than Ursaring.

Litleo: I love Lions and I'm glad he doesn't look like a typical Lion. Whenever I think of Lions, I always thinks of fire, even if there's no real link to it - which is why I'm glad he's a Fire-type too.

Fletchling: He's one of the best looking birds we've had in ages, so I need him in my team and he evolves into Talonflame, which is amazing.

Clauncher: That huge claw is awesome and you can make so many awesome phrases from his name (my favourite being a user on a Pokemon fansite called "RocketClauncher". The only problem is, I want to get Pokemon Y, so I'll be missing out (the Pokemon Company always do this kind of thing to me -_-).

19. koopa_kicker Tuesday 27th Aug 2013 at 14:57

I hope we one day get a Fire/Water type in this gen: maybe Clauncher could evolve into one with explosive rocket claws?

20. StriderHedgehog Friday 30th Aug 2013 at 13:07

From what I know now, I'll be picking Fennekin, Pangoro (it's a KUNG FU PANDA POKEMON!), Helioptile and Noivern. Can't wait to see the rest.

21. Zephild Friday 30th Aug 2013 at 13:14

Chespin, Pancham and MEGA BLAZIKEN.

However I'm kind of afraid of how the three starters will evolve. They have a huge ugly evolving potential. :|