Collecting rupees will be more important than ever in Zelda: A Link Between Worlds

Eiji Aonuma reveals more about the Link To The Past sequel in exclusive interview with ONM

Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma has told Official Nintendo Magazine that collecting rupees will be very important in The Legend Of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds.

In an exclusive interview which appears in the new issue of Official Nintendo Magazime, Aonuma discussed his working relationship with Miyamoto, Wind Waker HD and A Link Between Worlds.

On the subject of A Link Between Worlds, Aonuma said: "Collecting rupees, the currency of the Zelda world, will be very important in this game. You might think that was the case with all the past games too, but I must say that this time it will be more important than ever and you will need to collect a great deal of them."

So why do you need to collect so many rupees? Aonuma wouldn't tell us more but could it have something to do with the shop, a screenshot for which was displayed on Miiverse following the latest Nintendo Direct?

Aonuma explained that the shop - manned by a Nabbit lookalike - will be a very important place in A Link Between Worlds as it is different from past stores in the games?

He said: "Shops in the past Zelda games sold things that would run out once you use them like arrows and bombs, items that needed replenishing. They have never sold an item that doesn't go away after each use like the boomerang or the hookshot."

Will you have to collect lots of rupees to buy these items? Hopefully Aonuma will reveal more soon.

If you want to read the full interview with Eiji Aonuma, buy issue 99 of Official Nintendo Magazine.

Issue 100 of Official Nintendo Magazine will feature another Nintendo legend. Not only will it boast a Shigeru Miyamoto interview but the creator of Mario has drawn a special subscribers-only cover. There's still time to subscribe for £9.99 to ensure you get this cover.

Comments

1. shy guy 64 Wednesday 28th Aug 2013 at 09:28

im intrigued

2. Nintendo fan 1 Wednesday 28th Aug 2013 at 09:30

I would like if they changed the pacing through purchasing items. Perhaps future instalments in the zelda series, don't need drastic innovations but just something to shake up the formula.

3. Combusken Wednesday 28th Aug 2013 at 09:43

Rupees, the currency of the Zelda world are also the currency of serveral Asian countries and one of those countries is India, which is the country that most people think of when they hear the word "rupee".

4. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 28th Aug 2013 at 09:59

Well, looks like I'll be grinding for rupees just like I did in Link's Awakening. That Shovel, and then the Bow, was expensive, so thank goodness for that grassy area south of the shop! I could have waited sure - rupee chests re pretty common in that game - but I needed them right away!

5. Dark nemisis Wednesday 28th Aug 2013 at 10:01

This sounds really cool. It seems like it will feel like the original nes version.

You can only travel to certain areas by using certain items. In most Zelda games you would get these halfway through a dungeon and then be able to get to the next dungeon (great examples are the hookshot and bombs). However it looks like you will only be able to get to one area using one item and then in that area find enough rupees for a new item. Meaning that you still cannot go straight to the end of the game as it would be impossible to get enough rupees for the best item without spending them and you will still also only be able to use limited items at the beginning meaning you may have to back track.

Sounds like it will be fun and I can't wait to try it. However I do have a few concerns.

It may get a bit repetitive only using the one item throughout an entire dungeon making them much easier (as all you have to do is think "what can I do in this room with a bomb/bow/magic staff?"). Also all dungeons will be set at the same level so that the game is not too difficult for beginners rather than getting gradually more difficult. However, being based on A Link to the Past, I'm sure this game will be just as amazing.

(interesting that nabbit is the shop owner when you turn into a rabbit using the magic mirror in ALttP)

This is what I like about Zelda games, it's about skill not the level you managed to acheive. Hopefully there will be a hard mode though or perhaps a difficulty setting.

6. Waldy565 Wednesday 28th Aug 2013 at 10:57

First off, want to again offer my congrats on you nearly reaching your centernary milestone! I will be down the shops ASAP to buy 99, if not only for this interview - I don't think it will be as simple as items will now cost more. I think they could have a certain function - maybe if you collect so many you get prizes, like in Animal Crossing if you deposit 100K bells in the bank, for example, you get an exclusive item.
    Or, and this could be a really awesome idea, the amount of rupees you have kinds of acts like a timer in the dark world, similar to the phantom hourglass? Now THAT I'd like to see!

7. Nerd_Jock Wednesday 28th Aug 2013 at 12:32

Nice to hear. One of only a few minor flaws in previous Zelda games was that rupees carried little-to-no value.

8. OrangeRakoon Wednesday 28th Aug 2013 at 14:19

Should have stolen them

9. TheSlenderman Wednesday 28th Aug 2013 at 16:08

Should have stolen them

An incredible life lesson for us all. :mrgreen:

10. Carlos1982 Wednesday 28th Aug 2013 at 23:43

Sounds like we're going to have to hire the equipment.

11. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 29th Aug 2013 at 00:15

Should have stolen them

I did on my first playtrough. I couldn't believe what happened afterwards though. Insta-death when you return to teh shop and being branded THIEF everywhere you go. It's this game that I owe to my life's path down the straight and narrow and I've never reoffended. The system works.

12. LFOB Saturday 31st Aug 2013 at 17:46

AONUMA NO. I.. NO, YOU'RE RUINING IT, YOU'RE RUINING ZELDA!

13. Chill2868 Friday 6th Sep 2013 at 19:29

Am I the only one who thinks HD zelda should be made with the unreal engine and with graphics like infinity blade?

14. KameRule Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 19:32

Is it just me, or does the shopkeeper look like a diseased rabbid?