New Pokemon X and Y trailer shows Mega Charizard, Venusaur and Blastoise

You'll get Charmander, Squirtle or Charmander at the start of your adventure and they can Mega Evolve

Moments after the special Pokemon Direct, The Pokemon Company has released a new Pokemon X and Y trailer. The trailer shows off the three Starter Pokemon from the original Red and Blue Game Boy titles.

In this adventure, you won't get the Pokemon X and Y Starters Fennekin, Froakie or Chespin from the professor but from a friend. When you meet the professor, he'll let you take another Pokemon with you - Squirtle, Charmander or Bulbasaur. So you can take an X and Y and a Red and Blue Starter with you on your journey.

What's more, these three Pokemon can Mega Evolve so you'll be able to call upon Mega Charizard, Mega Venusaur or Mega Blastoise in battle. Interestingly, Venusaur was one of five Pokemon that we said we'd like to Mega Evolve.

To Mega Evolve a Pokemon players will need to obtain a bracelet called the Mega Ring that holds a mysterious stone called a Key Stone. The Trainer's Key Stone resonates with the Mega Stone held by his or her Pokemon, and together they trigger the Evolution that is normally impossible-Mega Evolution.

What do you think about this news and do you like the Mega Evolutions?

Comments

1. Time-Bomb Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 11:35

I was so set on choosing Froakie, but after seeing Mega Blastoise, my team will now have to be Chespin, Squirtle and the event Torchic. HALF MY TEAM ARE STARTERS!

2. Dan-the-Wii-man Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 11:36

YES MEGA CHARIZARD!!

3. onmsam Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 11:37

i need mega venusaur :D

4. DynamicPunch202 Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 11:40

Hell yeah! Mega Charizard is so mine!

5. Komodo_Wolfgang Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 11:42

I noticed that, and think it will become a bit of a problem.
    I however will probably use charizard, box my new starter (Unless their evolutions are awesome) and catch what I can while boxing Torchic too.

6. martynm Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 11:43

Mega Blastiose please...

7. Tamzily01 Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 11:52

Mega Blastiose please...

Couldn't agree more. I don't really care for Charizard at all, and Chespin is already planned for my team, making Venasaur somewhat redundant.

Of course, those Pokemon "fans" who have permanent nostalgia filters are up in arms about this announcement. No probably about it. They hate anything they perceive as an affront to their childhood memories. I, for one, care about their opinions as much as I care about Charizard and anything relating to it.

8. Time-Bomb Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 11:53

My favourite part of the trailer is where Blastoise gains 3 massive new canons to obliterate his opponents... And then proceeds to shoot water from his mouth haha.

P.s. Those Mega-Evolution animation sequences are sweeeeet!

P.p.s. Good technique by Ninty there. Announce a subscription based service which will no doubt anger many people - make them forget about it by showing the Kanto starters!

9. lrwr14 Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 11:53

I knew they would do the other gen starters, just wish they didn't look so...cheap?

10. Shmilly Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 11:59

I don't have a big problem with this - to be honest, it was expected after they announced MegaBlaziken. I'll be surprised if not every starter has a Mega Evolution. I do think they should have worked harder on the designs though. Venusaur looks OK but the other two look worse than their regular versions.

11. stealth1497 Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 12:07

Having already chosen Chespin, and wanting to incorporate Torchic too, Squirtle would seem the obvious choice - fortunately for me, Mega Blastoise is my favourite of the three new Megas :D

12. K-tet Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 12:12

Mega Charizard apparently trended worldwide on Twitter, knocking both the PS4 and Xbox One trends clean off.

Pokémon = Better than Nintendo's competition.

13. Komodo_Wolfgang Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 12:14

Uhm... you seem to have chosen the one they worked on least? It has a flower on its head now and some vines.
    Charizard: Spile on its back, head and bigger wing claws. Its head also looks more rigid and pointed.
    Blastoise: Head changed Drasticaly and has a cannon on each arm.

14. King Slazo Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 12:17

Ha. Ha. Ha. Somebody pass the cyanide.

And even putting aside my unbridled rage for Megas, Megazard and Megasaur are terribly lazy designs. I'd expect a 2 year old to come up with that in as many seconds. At least Megatoise looks like it had some thought put into it.

15. Dave-O Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 13:58

I imagine that that Blastoise will become steel type and Charizard will become dragon type when they mega evolve. I can't see Venusaur changing type.

16. SammyDodger Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 14:47

Ha. Ha. Ha. Somebody pass the cyanide.

The whole point of megas is to look similar to the original design because it's the same Pokémon! If it looked too different it might as well be a different Pokémon. Charizard looks amazing, I can't see how they could have done it differently.

17. E123-Fawful Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 15:34

Mega Blastoise.
    The only one with effort but of course Mega Charizard becomes the trend whilst no one cares about Mega Venusaur.

Megatoise - Looks a bit like a Brumak from Gears of War and a Blastoise had a baby.
    Megazard - Looks a bit more rigid and pointed making it look more Dragon like.
    Megasaur - Bigger flower on back with vines and a smaller one on the head.

Did they say if they came with their respective Mega Stones or do we find them?
    This may decide if I use Squirtle with my Chespin and Torchic (I want my own Blaziken and not a friends).

P.S Blastoise looks like he's robbing a bank.

18. 9 Times Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 15:43

WHAT. :shock:

SERIOUSLY, WHAT.

h...wh...DAMMNIT!
    LAY OFF THE MEGA EVOLUTIONS. PLEASE GAMEFREAK.

I can't believe this, they're milking this so much, and the fans are eating it up because of how 'Cool' they look. THAT'S IT. There's nothing else to it!!! They just look 'awesome'! Just grab a Pokemon, slap a 'Mega' on it and it'll be 'Super Saiyan'. THIS is the kind of thing Digimon strived for, and I knew I would always love Pokemon because It avoided this approach, and WHAM, I get slapped in the face with one of my favourite franchises. I honestly felt excited at the new features that where going to be revealed today (Pokemon bank looks pretty neat), but I come home, and MORE MEGA EVOLUTIONS.

More like 'Mega gimmick'... :?

19. Pyron12 Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 15:46

My reaction are as follows:-
    Megasaur - Meh, it's okay.
    Megazard - *laughs* I'm sorry, but that looks ridiculous.
    Megatoise - Holy... I can just imagine it.

Pikachu: Hah! Dodged your arm cannons, now whatcha gonna do?
    Megatoise: Ah bitch please I got mah head cannon.
    Pikachu: Oh SH-*gets blasted by lots of water*

20. BlazeCharizard Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 16:31

Finally. That is all I can say. Finally.

21. Apple_Pie Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 16:33

You are all talking about an event torchic, i seem to have missed this piece of news...

When is this happening? and are we gonna get Mudkip and Treecko too, or just Torchic?

22. BlazeCharizard Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 16:34

Blastoise looks like he's robbing a bank.

You could say he's robbing- *puts on sunglasses* THE POKEMON BANK! YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAH! :D

23. Tamzily01 Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 16:42

It's happening once the game launches, like Genesect for Black 2/White 2. And it's just Torchic confirmed right now, not sure about Mudkip and Treecko.

24. Scraggy man Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 16:46

When the first mega forms were revealed I was less than impressed. In fact I cringed at Mewtwo's.
    But these 3 I love.

I have no problem with them. They dont seem forced or over the top they are just alterations while sharpening up thing like Blastoise's chin and Charizards tail ridges.

Love how Mega Charizard has the fingers of Charmander and the facial features of Charmeleon.

25. MrGooseyMoose Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 17:01

You'll get charmander, squirtle, or...charmander again?

26. ThePokekid78 Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 17:41

This is perfect! I can get one of the hideous Kalos starters, release it, and go through the game using Torchic and Squirtle!

27. K-tet Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 18:16

I'm definitely getting Bulbasaur. I know many will pick Mega Charizard but competitively, it sucks just as bad as before because it's still Fire/Flying (therefore 50% Stealth Rock damage), and Drought is banned in the lower leagues. I think Mega Blastoise would be an awesome thing to use, but Mega Venusaur has Thick Fat.

Now before you all say "well that's a useless ability", it isn't for Mega Venusaur. Why? Thick Fat halves the damage received from Fire and Ice-type moves, which effectively remove Mega Venusaur's weaknesses to both types, meaning Mega Venusaur only has two weaknesses; Psychic and Flying. Venusaur is also pretty good in standard competitive play (and a menace with its hidden ability, Chlorophyll).

So yeah, I'm in. Just got to decide on the Gen 6 starter. Still no idea on who to pick, though either Froakie or Fennekin would be the perfect foil to Bulbasaur.

28. fisher2007 Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 22:24

I'm definitely getting charmander. 8)

29. Shmilly Wednesday 4th Sep 2013 at 22:32

Ha. Ha. Ha. Somebody pass the cyanide.

I didn't mean they had no thought put into them. I mean they look awful. Megasaur looks fine and maybe even better than the original Venusaur, but the others look less powerful and more... childish.

30. Apple_Pie Thursday 5th Sep 2013 at 17:27

How long is the event on for?