25 things you didn't know about Super Mario 3D World

Retro references, Mario's new powers and more

Worried that Super Mario 3D World was getting short shrift after it was revealed earlier this year. Well, we mined the demo for every secret going to show just how revolutionary it can be...

1. Cat's The Way, Aha Aha...

Mario's transformations can verge on silly gimmickry - mentioning no names (cough) Boomerang Mario (cough) - so it's great to get to grips with Cat Mario's rich moveset. Everything Mario can do, Cat Mario can do... furrier. Crouch during a dash and he flops into a belly slide, shredding the grass with his outstretched claws. It's totally adorable until you see your real cat doing the same thing to rid itself of fleas. Puss won't be performing Mario's diagonal plunge: swiping claws in mid-air triggers a downward dash. Brilliantly, it keeps going until you hit the ground; activating it when you're at the top of a slope or the peak of a tall level causes Mario to hurtle down like a fat, furry bullet. And that is our favourite kind of bullet. FACT.

2. Pipe Mania

We're not sure of the science behind the vacuum suck of 3D World's translucent pipe, but we certainly approve of what happens when you lure a Goomba into its path. One second they're inches away from a bonus (steak knives for touching Mario, a Cadillac Eldorado for an outright game over) and then... slurrrrrrrrrppppp. The question is, just how many Goombas can you shepherd into the pipe? We actually ran out of time trying to group four up there. Investigative journalism at its finest.

3. Chuck To The Future

Recognise the fellow in the football gear there? It is, of course, our old friend/bane of our SNES existence, Chargin' Chuck, here making his 3D Mario debut. All that protective gear arranged about his person made him an undeniably formidable foe in Super Mario World, taking three hits before Mario could compact his spinal column into paste.

Thankfully, for our modern heroes, two decades of inaction has seen Chuck's equipment degrade somewhat: one hop is all it takes to de-helmet this new three-dimensional variety, leaving his balding head ripe for a righteous and long overdue shoeing. Chuck is just one of Tokyo EAD's many nods to 3D World's SNES namesake, including a return for the squat Round Goombas. Interestingly, they too need two hits to kill; Mario goons, like GCSEs and Rowntrees Fruit Gums, were much harder back in the day.

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next page

Comments

1. Slinkington Wednesday 11th Sep 2013 at 15:04

I can't believe you don't like Boomerang Mario. It's the only Mario power-up I've liked since Shell Mario.

2. ThomasFitzgibbon Wednesday 11th Sep 2013 at 15:29

I am so hyped for this game, it has all the variety of 3D Land and multiplies it tenfold. It looks fantastically crisp visually, looks incredibly fun and is oozing with charm and character. This could quite possibly be the best game of 2013.

3. Balderz Wednesday 11th Sep 2013 at 16:16

Fat, furry bullets are your favourite kind of bullets eh?

Bullet Bill will be devastated to hear that...

4. SuperNintyFan333 Wednesday 11th Sep 2013 at 16:25

I am so not hyped for this game. It has the repetitiveness of 3d land and multiplies it by 3. It has less visual impact than galaxy, looks very boring and has less charm and character than most of the mario platformers before it, with the exception on nsmb games. This will most definetly not be the best game of 2013. Wonderful 101, Rayman Legends, animal crossing, fire emblem and m&l dream team are up for that.

5. Time-Bomb Wednesday 11th Sep 2013 at 16:43

There's a mystery fifth character?! WHAT?!

I'm looking forward to this game more and more with every article I read about it. It's quite clear that this is really just Mario Galaxy 3 but hey, they had to bring Mario back to Earth (uhh I mean the mushroom kingdom!) sooner or later.

6. MaloMart06 Wednesday 11th Sep 2013 at 17:00

Those red and blue switching platforms were mental enough in Galaxy 2, I can only imagine how hectic they'll be with four players. Cant wait for this game :D

7. RiksilveR Wednesday 11th Sep 2013 at 19:51

Please, tell me more about how you know how repetitive this as-yet-unreleased game is.

Personally, I didn't like 3D Land (I agree with SNF there, it was rather repetitive and not particularly challenging), but a 4-player 3D Mario? That's a dream come true, and from the looks of it, it's much more expansive and varied than 3D Land.
    Plus, Cat Mario wins everything.

8. Violet Wednesday 11th Sep 2013 at 20:01

What's the problem with Boomerang Mario? Powerful Zelda-like boomerangs in a Mario game, what's not to like? Next you'll be saying that you never liked the Hammer Bros. power up in SMB3 either.

9. liveswired Wednesday 11th Sep 2013 at 23:03

Plus, Cat Mario wins everything.

I guess we all have different opinions. I loved 3D land - it's excellently designed for handheld quick fire gaming - this on the other hand is a handheld game shoehorned onto a console - there is nothing here that couldn't be achieved on a 3DS albeit with lower resolution and less polygons.

I am personally not excited - even after watching all the videos. It's Mario for babies - my kids love seeing cat mario as they are obsessed with cats!

This game is essentially targeted for gamers with young kids - it is a good, clean cut, family game.

10. NintendoForLife Thursday 12th Sep 2013 at 11:44

We didn't know because the game isn't out yet.

11. wazlon Thursday 12th Sep 2013 at 13:36

I must admit I was really angry when I first saw this game but the more I see of it, the more I like the look of it.

The graphics aren't up to scratch though, Galaxy games had better. I'm sure we'll see a Super Mario Galaxy game on the Wii U though - please don't forget your loyal fans Nintendo.

12. SuperNintyFan333 Thursday 12th Sep 2013 at 15:39

Plus, Cat Mario wins everything.

I agree with you that it won't have three times the repetitiveness, but what i really meant is that the game may have similar repetitiveness to 3d land but with three times more of it. Basically being a home console game it will be three times bigger. As for four player multiplayer im not interested as none of my family or friends like mario and without online which is stupid. Cat mario is a powerup for noobs which is not going to attract someone who likes monster hunter, fire emblem and dark souls. mario is easy enough as it is

13. MartinIsAwesome Friday 13th Sep 2013 at 13:06

Nice work spotting all those. GameXplain did an awesome video which highlighting a lot of these too, and it looks like there will be a ton of hidden coins and 1-Ups tucked away in places you wouldn't even think of looking.
    Although they didn't touch on the idea of Peach's Tanooki Suit transformation. Maybe she gets even longer air hang time. I do know however that Fire-Peach (when she picks up a Fire Flower, of course) ties her hair back ina pony-tail and her dress turns white, just like Mario and Luigi's hats.

As for that spin-jump, it actually sounds a lot like the move from Super Mario Sunshine which was a great way of getting from instant extra height.

14. scouserfuller9 Saturday 14th Sep 2013 at 08:06

I haven't got a huge excitement fir this game. I was hoping for more of a find 120 stars like you get in Mario 64, Sunshine and Galaxy 1 and 2. Hope I'm wrong but I think Galaxy 2 will still be my favourite Mario game in six months ...

15. IRNBRU64 Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 20:35

Can we get either...

A: A BRAND-NEW Slightly 'Core-er' 3d Mario game

B: HD sequel to galaxy/sunshine (or both? Mario sunshine galaxy?)

C: HD remakes of Galaxy's or sunshine (Preferably Galaxy... I'm playing through sunshine at the moment and it's brilliant, but nothing on Galaxy... that game is the shiznit)

PLEASE!!!! :|