Should any classic characters be dropped for Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS?

Colette Barr wants a good mix of old and new characters

There has been a lot of excitement buzzing around the new Smash Bros games this year. We've been teased by screenshot after screenshot for both the Wii U and 3DS versions, seen a shiny trailer, met some brand new characters and also seen some old ones making a return.

This week, I was delighted to hear that the new games would see the reappearance of my favourite Nintendo Princess - Peach! It's quite funny, because with all the excitement surrounding the new Smash Bros, like some of you; I'd totally forgotten that Princess Peach hadn't actually appeared in any of the videos or screenshots. I guess I'd just assumed she'd be in there.

After all, whether you like her or not, she is a pretty major character in the world of Nintendo and has been for a long time. I love her fresh design for the new games and I think she looks super cute! Also, I know they aren't finalised yet, but just from the screenshots, her attacks look tremendous fun, I especially like the one where she uses her crown. The Toad attack is a nice touch too. It would be awesome to have Toad available as a full playable character, but I guess I can't have everything. Brawl had a much darker, grittier and slightly realistic feel to it and whilst I do enjoy that style, I think it's great to now be getting an art style that is a little more colourful, bold and well, sparkly!!

Browsing the ONM website on the day that Peach was revealed and her comeback has certainly divided opinion. Some of you guys really wouldn't miss her, describing her as a sub par character that is simply wasting a space in the roster that could have gone to a new character. Others, I'm pleased to see, are happy to have her back though, not just because she's great but because she is iconic.

The news about Peach also got me thinking. Every Nintendo fan has their own personal favourites when it comes to Smash Bros, and with the options for characters forever growing, it really is impossible to keep everybody happy when it comes to the final roster. Looking back to the original SSB game, there was no Bowser, Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch or even Peach and Zelda. When I think Smash Bros, there are, however, some staple characters that appear in my head. For me these are...

Mario

Luigi

Peach

Yoshi

Bowser

Donkey Kong

Kirby

Link

Zelda

Sheik

Samus

Pit

Fox

Pikachu...I'm going to stop there because, my list has already started filling up, fast! As time goes on, more and more new characters fall into the iconic circle and I guess the question I'm pondering is, will we ever see a Smash Bros game without any of the old favourites? I got quite excited this year waiting to see who the new characters were and I'm looking forward to playing as Mega Man, Villager, etc, but later, it dawned on me that these newbie's might have knocked one of my favourites off the list.

Sakurai, earlier this year, made no secret of the fact that choosing which characters to include was becoming a gruelling task and he also admitted that he empathised with the fans who want their personal favourites in the game

"Whether it's a minor character or a character that is one of the most highly skilled and most played, if that character is removed from the game, the people who live for that character in Smash Bros. are going to have their feelings hurt," said the Smash Bros creator. "I think we have to really consider that, so I take a very serious, hard look at that and have empathy for the players who look for these type of characters when we're making these decisions." I've always been a passionate Nintendo fan and I have to admit, it would crush me to play a Smash Bros game without the likes of Mario, Peach and Link etc. I know there has to be a line somewhere, but if there is always a good balance between new and old characters, I'll be happy.

What do you guys think? Perhaps you'd like a game with all new characters? Maybe you want to see certain older ones make a return?

Comments

1. Alaxtis Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 07:49

Please drop Jigglypuff. There are enough pokemon in there already and we need room for more newcomers! 8)

2. MaloMart06 Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 08:01

Considering the return of Mewtwo in X and Y, theres a high possibiliy that Mewtwo will be returning, which means Lucario will probably be dropped. My bet is that slightly more obscure characters like R.O.B and Wolf will be dropped in favour of newer obscure characters, possibly someone from the wonderful 101, but in all honesty as long as the characters are fun to play as and their moves reflect their personality well I don't mind who is in the final roster.

3. DaleBiederbeck Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 08:19

People need to get over the idea of characters being dropped. They can't just keep stacking more and more characters on the pile, they have to let some go.

I think the only characters who are definitive mainstays at this point are:

Pikachu
    Kirby
    Fox
    Pit
    Ness
    Captain Falcon

Probably Wario as well. But we'll see on that one.

As for characters I think can/will be dropped, I think we should say our goodbyes to the following characters:

Lucario
    Ike
    Lucas (hate to see him go but being realistic)
    R.O.B.
    Wolf
    Falco
    Pokemon Trainer
    Toon Link (though he might stay given Wind Waker's re-release)

Heck, even Mr. Game & Watch, Jigglypuff and the Ice Climbers are expendable. But the others are more likely to go.

I say, if it means more room for new characters, I don't mind too much. There are enough mainstays (as I pointed out), and it's always fun to see who makes it into each new entry.

4. rui_lilsid Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 08:52

Pikachu
    Kirby
    Fox
    Pit
    Ness
    Captain Falcon

Probably Wario as well. But we'll see on that one.

Lucario
    Ike
    Lucas (hate to see him go but being realistic)
    R.O.B.
    Wolf
    Falco
    Pokemon Trainer
    Toon Link (though he might stay given Wind Waker's re-release)

5. Binba442 Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 09:13

Ness/Lucas has no reason to stay other than the "Original 8/12" argument. Ness hasn't had a game since 1994.
    Lucas hasn't had a game since '06, and that was Japanese exclusive with no sign of anything else.

6. Dave-O Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 09:15

For a while I've wondered if they're dropping Yoshi. He was one of the original characters so you'd expect him to return, but he hasn't been shown yet. I imagine he may have been replaced which doesn't really bother me. I wonder if any Namco characters will join since they're also part of this.

7. blu fire Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 11:33

character that will probably stay: Mario
    Luigi
    Samus
    Fox
    Falco
    R.O.B
    Olimar

8. Tamzily01 Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 11:37

Earthbound was recently re-released for Virtual Console though. Aside from the fact Ness was in the original, that should be more than enough to keep him in the roster. Lucas can go though, and have someone who doesn't use PSI powers replace him. Or just swap him out for Kumatora, I don't mind either way...plus there need to be more female fighters in the game.

9. Darkblizz Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 12:02

Please just get rid of Jigglypuff...

10. shadowlugia101 Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 12:24

I feel very strongly that we should get rid of the clones. i.e. lucas and toon link definatly, and wolf as well despite me liking him, i also believe that R.O.B and Ike will probably get the boot (hopefully Chrom or Lucina will replace Ike) if all clones were gotten rid of we could keep the classic characters and then have new ones as well and so there's not as much comprimise, it will also make the roster more diverse

11. Neostar4 Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 12:42

Sakurai has already mentioned that some characters will be replaced, and I think those characters will be -
    R.O.B
    Lucas
    Pokemon Trainer
    Wolf
    Lucario

I'm not too sure about Snake and Sonic staying, but I hear they might be.

But if by classic you mean veterans then no they won't be dropped from SSB4. All the characters in SSB will be returning.

12. TheVelvetRoom Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 12:45

-Ganondorf (give him his own moveset, or drop him entirely)
    -Ice Climbers
    -Jigglypuff
    -Marth
    -Falco
    -Wolf
    -Lucas
    -Toon/Young Link

I'm not saying they should drop ALL of these characters. These should just be the first to go if they really do need to start cutting characters.

13. NeonS4 Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 13:14

R.O.B
    Lucas
    Pokemon Trainer
    Wolf
    Lucario

I'm not too sure about Snake and Sonic staying, but I hear they might be.

If anyone cares, I made a new account...

And to expand on my previous comment, I don't think many characters will be replaced (I think only 4 or 5 will be replaced) and Sakurai will be focusing on adding characters rather than replacing.

BUT Sakurai has said he will drop some characters due to not having enough time, and I think some characters he will drop would be Wolf, Toon Link and Pokemon Trainer.

14. E123-Fawful Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 13:46

The original 12 will stay as will those who returned from Melee in Brawl though I'm not to sure on the Ice Climbers due to issues with characters like that and I think Chrom will replace Marth as he is his Descendant and a slow Chrom wouldn't be right. Sonic will have a high chance to return due to Nintendo and Sega having a deal. Mewtwo MAY replace Lucario as Mewtwo is getting a massive push from the trailers or it'll be the Gen 6 version of Lucario. Ganondorf definitely needs a new moveset or replace him with Ghirahim. DeDeDe and Wolf ought to return due to them being (For the most part) antagonistic characters in the series they come from (Change Wolf a bit obviously). Krystal should replace Falco and she could use the Staff from adventures and maybe have Tricky for a final smash. Snake will most likely go due to there not being many Metal Gear games released on a Nintendo console recently (We got Snake Eater 3D and that had Big Boss NOT Solid Snake). ROB may join him as he is fairly obscure but I can also see him staying due to being very important to Nintendo history like Game and Watch. Lucas should be replaced with Jeff from Earthbound so we don't have a clone or another PSI user.

I reckon that other Newcomers should be:
    Bowser Jr - Paintbrush, Mini Clown Car, Transform into Shadow Mario and he has Mechs.
    Wonder Red - May help push sales for W101 plus the Unite morphs would make for brilliant Specials and have all of them (Bar one) for one huge final smash a bit like Pokemon trainer.
    Black Shadow - A bit more recognition for F-Zero and we need more bad guys. Failing that Samurai Goroh as he is a rival to Falcon.
    Ridley - More villains plus he is a really iconic character. Sylux would work if they can't get Ridley done well but we could have both as more interest would be put on Sylux and that teaser in MP3 would set up another game.
    Waluigi - We saw him as an assist trophy so he could be bumped up but that depends on if a Good moveset can be made.
    Magnus or Gaol - They are both Brawler types but I would push Gaol for 2 reasons. 1. Females are needed. 2. Has a versatile moveset. Or we get both as Magnus was a bit more important to the story and wouldn't be hard to put into the game as we already have Ike that he would be similar to.
    Plus Chrom, Krystal, Ghirahim and Jeff as well as the 3 already revealed and we could have a total of 16 newcomers if they put in my suggestions on top of Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer and Villager.

15. NintendanGX Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 14:11

Any Pokémon at all. There's just too many of them. Sure, I used to enjoy the series when I was a kid, but now I prefer more mature RPGs with a deeper story, like the Shin Megami Tensei series. Replace any Pokémon and put in The Wonderful 100 if you ask me! Hell, even drop one for Professor Layton, who could use a sabor!

16. James McNevin Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 14:17

Hm. I don't want them to drop any characters really. I just want them to add more. Let me tell you why.

Another game that has a large cast of characters to choose from is MarioKart (seems irrelevant but don't worry I'll get to the point). Everyone has their favourite character, be it for their looks or their driving style, and to remove certain characters from future games isn't really that fair to those who enjoy them. For example, in MarioKart Wii I really enjoyed playing as Birdo and Funky Kong and played as them almost exclusively. My girlfriend liked playing as Toadette. Those characters were not present on MarioKart 7. We weren't able to play as characters that we had grown to love. That was a bit of a disappointment.

To bring it back onto Smash Bros, the same can be said for that game and in fact it's even more important that character rosters do not shrink. People who are new to the franchise and only started playing with Brawl may have picked the Ice Climbers, Mr Game and Watch, Pokemon Trainer etc as their main character as that character's particular playing style may have suited them just right. Would it be fair to them if their favourite character were to be kicked from Smash Bros U? I don't think so really.

I want the roster of Smash Bros U/3DS to be kept the same as Brawl, but with the additions of Mega Man, Villager and that Wii Fit chic. I'd also like to see Ghirahim from Skyward Sword make an appearance as he is one of the most interesting villains to grace a Nintendo game for quite a while.

To finally answer the question of the article, no. I couldn't see them removing staple characters from Smash Bros. The day they remove Link is the day I start a killing spree!

17. 9 Times Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 14:57

As much as I want Jigglypuff to go, there are many reasons why she/he'll probably be staying:

:!: Jigglypuff has been there since the beggining. They NEVER drop characters that have been a part of it since the start, in any case.
    :!: There aren't many female suited characters in the game
    :!: The new fairy type gives them a chance to give the very under-used character a few new moves and a boost in power overall.

18. Luke Ario Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 15:50

I think that not having Mario, Link, Pikachu, etc. would be ludicrous. Smash Bros. is supposed to celebrate everything about Nintendo, and all of these characters are what makes Nintendo.

I agree with Peach being in the game because she is important but I also feel that there aren't enough slots for Mario characters. I could only see Diddy Kong being replaced by anyone. I think that this is down to not enough slots for characters being allowed - I think about fifty would have been a cosy number, but then this may have been too much for the 3DS.

Also, my favourite character was Lucario and I desperately want him to stay but if he didn't I would understand that it is to make space for characters who are overall more loved, like Mewtwo.

19. HarveyJ Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 16:22

Take out pokemon trainer, jigglypuff and ice climbers, along with any clone characters, making them alternative costumes for their counterparts. Replace lucario with mewtwo, maybe with moves that change its forme? But it would be awesome to include miis, then let us give them combat styles of the other characters and whatever. Ghirahim could have a quick playstle like shiek's, with a teleporting move and longsword. I think a maximum of 3 characters from each game would be ok, to stop pokemon from taking up most of the roster.

20. carnivine chaos Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 16:43

:!: There aren't many female suited characters in the game

Sakurai wasn't going to include him in Brawl and did last minute cause of fans. Same for Wolf and Toon Link, hence why you don't see them in subspace until after you've beaten it. Also, Jiggerz was top tier in Melee, and nerfed super hard in Brawl. But a slightly new moveset could be good in terms of variety.

I personally think that particularly unique characters shouldn't go: R.O.B, Mr. Gayman Watch, Ice Climbers, etc.
    Although I'd personally like to see Ice Climbers gone, those cheap OP bastards. Wobbling is atrocious. Sakurai said it was difficult to program them for the 3DS version, so, while I like the concept and uniqueness, fingers crossed they'll be gone.
    As much as I love Jiggerz, though, I suppose she's not that special herself. I also think pkmn Trainer should go, while each pokemon's moves were pretty unique (aside from squirtle), to me, they didn't really seem liike fighters as such, though I'm not sure why I feel that.

I quite like some of the clones, it offers a character you like the concept of, but slightly tweaked to match your style more. (of course that's different for different people). Though Wolf should probably be cut since 2 clones of a character is a little excessive.

Lastly, as we all know, Toon Link has already been dropped since he's part of one of the stages in the 3DS version.

21. SamManSam Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 16:58

Personally, the only character I want dropping is Jigglypuff. He's not really the first Pokemon that comes to mind when you think of the series, and he's a pretty rubbish character anyway. Replace or remove Jigglypuff and that should be fine. As for someone like Falco, I think if they just do for him what they did for Luigi (give him some unique moves of his own) then people won't really complain about him being a clone of Fox.

I really don't want any of the original 12 to go (except Jigglypuff). I'm just waiting for Ness to be confirmed. Come on...

22. MJTH Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 17:15

Any character from the original game (yes including Jigglypuff) have a right return in subsequent games as they are now fully fledged mainstays of the cast.

Any direct clone characters should be gone though i.e, lucas, wolf, falco, toon link etc. Although chances are if toon link returns he will be in the graphic style of the "a link between worlds" Link from the 3DS zelda game. Any character that is there to represent a series, but where the character itself is no longer relevant (Ike, Lucario etc) should be replaced with a character that now represents the series at the present (i.e Chrom and what ever gen 6 cool looking pokemon that is available). Pokemon trainer should return, however the possibility of him being a different incarnation of the character (with different pokemon and maybe a different gender) is open.

I personally think ROB should and will return, because his role in the roster, is not one of a clone character or a character that can be replaced by a more relevant character for the present. R.O.B is one of the few fully unique new characters in brawl that wasn't a clone, and wasn't archetypal (along with meta knight, King DeDeDe, olimar and the 3rd party characters), giving him a better chance to return then most might think.

23. Louis Moran Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 17:16

I dont want any classic characters dropped, but i would love to see the cast of Inazuma Eleven in there. I wanna see Mario take a fire tornado to the gut.

24. Argenthor Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 17:25

Earthbound was released this year for the first time in the West though?

25. IRNBRU64 Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 17:31

Pikachu
    Kirby
    Fox
    Pit
    Ness
    Captain Falcon

Probably Wario as well. But we'll see on that one.

Lucario
    Ike
    Lucas (hate to see him go but being realistic)
    R.O.B.
    Wolf
    Falco
    Pokemon Trainer
    Toon Link (though he might stay given Wind Waker's re-release)

I think they should add Waluigi, and I hope they drop captain falcon.

26. IRNBRU64 Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 17:37

For people who are saying about Snake staying... HE ALMOST DEFINETELY WON'T BE BECAUSE WII U ISN'T GETTING MGS 5 ;(. Although I wouldn't mind a Dead Space Extraction esque scaled down exclusive MGS for Wii U. Please? Any ideas for new characters? They had two third-party ones for Brawl but only one's been confirmed so far for Wii U.... Ezio instead of Snake??? Or am I just dreaming?

27. cmk8 Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 18:15

Would be happy to see the back of Jigglypuff and wouldn't miss Ice Climbers (apparently are issues with having two characters on the 3DS).
    Also if there aren't going to be Star Fox or F Zero games in the near future then happy to see them dropped too.

Better keep Wario!!!!

28. DaleBiederbeck Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 18:21

Wii didn't get MGS4... That argument has no weight to support it. Snake has just as good (if not better) chance at returning than Sonic. Snake was put in Brawl basically because Hideo Kojima asked them. He has good relations with Nintendo (he's best buds with Shigeru Miyamoto), so Snake actually does have a good chance.

MGS4 was PS3 exclusive, and Snake was in Brawl. There's no reason to think he won't be in Smash 4 as well.

As for other third-party characters, only Pac-Man and Geno make sense at this point. Maybe Bomberman, but he's owned by Konami now, and they already have Snake to represent them.

29. rrriki Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 20:31

It would be cool to see Eevee in there... even though no-one probably wants a character so plain in there, I think it could work. It could replace Lucario easy enough but chances are a Gen 5/ maybe Gen 6 pokemon will replace him

30. Time-Bomb Sunday 15th Sep 2013 at 20:43

There are a few fighters who I can see definitely being replaced, such as Lucario, Ike, Toon Link and Wolf. (Lucario and ike being outdated now, toon link is part of a stage, Wolf is a fairly pointless clone).

Then i can sorta see the following fighters being dropped too for some reason: Lucas, ROB, Jigglypuff, Pokemon Trainer in his current form, and maybe Diddy Kong just so he can be replaced with a Diddy/Dixie duo!

Snake and Sonic are anyone's guess. There's arguments going both ways.

Oh and yeah, Ganondorf needs a new moveset. I'll be shocked if he doesnt get one!

31. E123-Fawful Monday 16th Sep 2013 at 06:36

We also got music from MGS 4 as well as Massive spoilers in the stage itself. And before Brawl the last MG game we got was... A remake, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes for the Gamecube.

32. Hero_Of_Moga Monday 16th Sep 2013 at 07:23

yeah that would be great then for axel's final smash he could call mark and jude and perform the inazuma break which would fly across the screen (like lucario's aura sphere) and cause massive damage while knocking the opponent off of their feet.
    also for those of you saying that pokemon trainer should go he will probably stay as he is very unique and represents the 1st gen so he is quite iconic. also for those saying that pokemon took up too much space in brawl all of the series were only permitted 4 spaces max and mario had dk so he sort of got more than 4 spaces.
    speaking of pokemon I hope that lucario stays I know it is unlikely but if he goes we will be losing an extremely good character, if he stays he should be given his mega forme for his final smash. I also hope that toon link returns as he was another favourite of mine and as wind waker hd's release is near it is likely he will return.
    the characters I want to go are ness (although that probably wont happen), lucas and snake as they were all broken beyond repair in brawl as their attacks were weak had next to no range and were uncontrollable

33. E123-Fawful Monday 16th Sep 2013 at 07:59

Shout out to the double post.

34. Hero_Of_Moga Monday 16th Sep 2013 at 08:30

Shout out to the double post.

yes I know I tried to delete it but my computer froze

35. lminett Monday 16th Sep 2013 at 09:45

Suppose we have to accept that some of the the older characters won't be back because of balance. I mean they could easily put about 50 characters into the game, problem is that would be a nightmare to balance the game. I honestly thought we wouldnt see olimar again but he's back.

I think Wolf, Toon Link, Sonic, Snake and Lucus, pokemon trainer and lucario will be removed, which frees up space for 7 other new characters. The question is who could they put in? So far the only new character I'm interested in is Megaman, i know i shouldn't judge the villager or wii fit trainer, but neither appeal to me, though ill still play as them.

So 7 new characters id pick : Waluigi, King K.Rool, Samurai Goroh, Another character from the metroid series like Dark samus or riddley, andy from advance wars, but i have no idea how they could make that work, Little Mac and my last choice would be Pac-man, I'm not really a fan of too many third party characters but id enjoy seeing pac-man in the game.

36. LavaTwilight Monday 16th Sep 2013 at 10:00

I disagree. Although Jigglypuff is more of a novelty, I once took on someone playing as Ganondorf and won! We were both talented players too. You need to learn the character just like any other character! Jigglypuff has been there since the N64 and has every right, if not more right, to be there than say Captain Falcon. I think Jigglypuff should stay. 8)

37. Tian Cheek Monday 16th Sep 2013 at 10:21

If characters need to be taken out it has to be:
    yoshi, jiggly puff

Characters that i don't really care if they go away butt can stay:
    king dee dee, mr g&w, rob, wario, peach, snake, and zero suit samus (unless she is redone cuz she is too underpowered)

These characters should just be costumes for they're originals unless they get their own "completely original movesets":
    luigi (mario), toon link (link), lucas (ness), ganon (capt falcon), falco and wolf (fox), ike (marth), lucaio (mewto)

Characters that should definitely be in the new one:
    Shadow the Hedgehog, Mewto (Mew as a costume), Roy, new pokemon for trainer (ash as a costume)

All characters need updates. Like mario using hammers and his new powers from other games, sonic needs a heavy update (moves from sonic battle or others), fox with new weapons and staff etc

*instead of just color changes, as i stated before, there should also be alt costumes (like peach and daisy) or (toon and kid link for adult link)*

38. Abe hikura Tuesday 17th Sep 2013 at 05:50

Hell to the yes. Discard the clones, that or give them there own moves so their new.
    I suspect some characters will get revamped. Marth replaced with new "Marth" lucy. Lucario with Mewtwo mega Y and so on. Likes R.O.B and game & watch will be gone

39. Mariostar222 Tuesday 17th Sep 2013 at 14:35

Pikachu
    Kirby
    Fox
    Pit
    Ness
    Captain Falcon

Probably Wario as well. But we'll see on that one.

Lucario
    Ike
    Lucas (hate to see him go but being realistic)
    R.O.B.
    Wolf
    Falco
    Pokemon Trainer
    Toon Link (though he might stay given Wind Waker's re-release)

I just want dr.mario back.... :(

40. Medea Tuesday 17th Sep 2013 at 15:46

All the Pokemon characters, bar Pikachu, could be let go without too much complaint. Other than that Ness should go.

41. StriderHedgehog Tuesday 17th Sep 2013 at 18:51

As far as clones are concerned, they need to have reworked movesets or be dropped entirely. Characters I wouldn't mind seeing go are:
    Falco (more of a clone than Wolf)
    Ganondorf (rework him or replace him with Ghirahim)
    Lucas
    Marth (Ike's more likely to go but I like him)
    Snake (cool but a one off)

PS: Glad to be quoted.

42. DaleBiederbeck Tuesday 17th Sep 2013 at 19:18

And why, pray tell, should Ness go? He's been in the series since its first entry, he's the best representative of a Nintendo series, he has a huge following, and his game was recently rereleased (and for the first time, in Europe). He has every reason to be in the game.

If any series' characters are interchangeable, it's the Fire Emblem ones. Ike is definitely out, and Marth could just as easily be replaced with an Awakening character. Ness has no reason to go.

43. concernedcamel Tuesday 17th Sep 2013 at 22:02

The game wouldnt be as compelling if they tried to please everyone with the same old characters because we would only get a handful of newcomers which I think is the main drive for me wanting a new smash brothers game.

44. concernedcamel Tuesday 17th Sep 2013 at 22:14

They have my money if Tingle is an available fighter anyway.

45. kumakie Wednesday 18th Sep 2013 at 12:18

Agreed. Jiggly-puff is no longer necessary.
    I wonder if ness will be removed, i haven't seen his series that much.

46. koopa_kicker Wednesday 18th Sep 2013 at 19:29

Agreed. Jiggly-puff is no longer necessary.

^With less than a month to the release of Pokemon X/Y, this is pretty much the worse time to say that Jigglypuff is unnecessary... I don't know how many times I say this, but wouldn't it make sense if Jigglypuff's moveset changed to show off it's newly aquired Fariy type, hence it can be more powerful/versatile that it was before?! Sorry if Jigglypuff taking up a slot you wanted for Mewtwo/Zoroark/etc but there are many people that would like to see Jigglypuff return: and it least it isn't a clone of another character.

47. Spyrolad Wednesday 18th Sep 2013 at 20:37

Mario

48. WOLFENFTW Monday 23rd Sep 2013 at 19:19

I think the characters who have been there since the beginning have earned their place in the next Smash Bros. simply for tradition. I personally am only interested in keeping Fox, Falco, Wolf, Snake, Link, Samus and Wario, I'm not fussed about what happens to the others. New characters I'd like to see would be Shadow the Hedgehog, Leon Powalski/Panther Caroso, a Johto Trainer and Rayman (doubt that's gonna happen though). I'd also like Mewtwo back.