Toon Link confirmed for Smash Bros Wii U - first screenshots

The Wind Waker-style Link is back

A second character has been confirmed for Smash Bros Wii U and 3DS in the space of two weeks. To celebrate the launch of The Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker HD, it has been revealed that Toon Link will be making a return in the new Smash Bros game. Here are the first screenshots...

Toon Link made his debut in Super Smash Bros Brawl, meaning that there were two Link characters in the game. Once again, he will be joined by 'realistic' Link' which is based on his Twilight Princess look. You can see the pair together in one of the screenshots below.

You can see him with his Wind Waker baton and he also takes out rivals with his sword and arrows. Toon Link is the 16th character to be confirmed for Smash Bros. So far, just three all-new characters have been announced for the brawler - Mega Man, the Animal Crossing Villager and the Wii Fit Trainer.

Are you happy about the return of Toon Link?

Comments

1. martynm Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 09:06

Posted it on Twitter before it came up on the site... YES!

...i'm such a nerd :P

I loved playing as Toon Link. Surprise too! Was expecting something like Mewtwo or a Pokemon seeming as the estimated date of next reveal is 12th October and thats the Pokemon X and Y release...

2. tomonm Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 09:19

It's a bit easier to post 140 characters on Twitter. Most news, unless exclusive, will break on Twitter first. Well done for being first though!

3. peter-wright Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 09:24

I wasnt going to get this game now I am as Toon Link is my favorite character! #uberexcited

4. martynm Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 09:27

Thats true. Mind you, I only have 2 followers so i doubt I have the kind of impact of an reliable source like ONM :lol:

5. tomonm Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 09:30

Ah... What's your Twitter handle. Everyone follow Martynm!

6. shy guy 64 Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 09:30

you can never have to many links

7. Zephild Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 10:02

Not really excited for him, hope it will be more than a clone.

8. Balladeer Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 10:06

This worries me for two reasons: (a) development and (b) franchise limits.

(a) Assuming there's a limit on how many characters can be brought into the games, fully tested and balanced (be it time, budget or 3DS card space), Toon Link is taking up time/money/space that could have gone towards another, non-clone character. I would happily lose him, Falco and Wolf for a non-Falcon-a-like Ganondorf.

(b) I also assume that there are only so many characters that'll be included from any one franchise, with Mario being a possible exception. Link, Zelda and Ganondorf are certainties, so if there's only room for one other Zelda character, I'd much rather it were Midna, or Ghirahim, or Demise, or pretty much anyone who wasn't a repeat from last game and a clone of a pre-announced character.

In short: not impressed. And slightly surprised at the number of people who are impressed.

9. FamilyGAMEGuy8 Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 10:38

Ok. Now I'm worried. Don't get me wrong, I like Toon Link (this rant isn't really about him) but this worries be because A) No new characters for existing franchises have been announced yet and, assuming Ganondorf is in, I can't imagine there bein ga new Zelda candidate and B) with Toon Link and Luigi (and possibly Megaman) announced, either they're announcing the unlockable characters OR there are none. I don't want either particularly and I think they should just be kept secret like they were for the first three games. It ruins an aspect that I love in the Smash Bros series.

10. Combusken Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 11:03

Hopefully, both Link and Toon Link share a slot like Samus and Zero Samus should otherwise it is a wasted spot that could have been given to a new character from an existing franchise or a franchise that hasn't been in the Smash Brothers series.

11. ivorfran Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 11:05

Wow, 140 characters in Smash Bros ! This will be huge !! :wink:

12. BanksLad Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 11:15

I'm certainly not surprised by the inclusion of Toon Link, the cel shaded version of the character is racking up a good few amount of games now and even with the older gameboy titles I associate this look with him. He has just as much right to be in the game as adult Link.

However, I too hope that he will be distinct from his adult counterpart, otherwise really it is taking up a space that could have an exciting new entry. His physics were different in the previous game but his moveset was virtually identical, which was a shame. If they change his moveset and maybe grant him a unique final smash I could get on board with that.

I'm pretty sure our 4 Zelda characters will be that then, Link, Toon Link, Zelda and Ganondorf. To be fair there's not really many more memorable, consistent characters. Although I often thought a goron would make a fun addition. I am right in thinking that there's never more than four from any franchise right?

13. BanksLad Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 11:17

Please please PLEASE give him his crawfish T-shirt outfit though at least.

14. martynm Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 11:26

martynm wrote:

Ah... What's your Twitter handle. Everyone follow Martynm!

That would be @martynbm :lol: shameless plug..

oh and thank you for the follow, Tom!

15. Bigtime Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 11:30

Man, I was really hoping this game would be clone-less.

16. the_wil Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 11:36

He just looks bizarre in his non cell shaded form. Hideous actually.

17. Mulluc Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 12:37

They should have reinvented the character, like his up + B being the deku leaf, having a roll attack and poking people in the eye with his baton. The screen shots show he has the same up + B move which is a big shame

18. Hero_Of_Moga Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 13:52

YES I WAS HOPING TOON LINK WOULD RETURN he's my favourite character in brawl

19. Konkeydong Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 14:35

On the website, there's a picture of Toon Link in a pose like he's doing Marth and Ike's counter move. There are also no pictures of the boomerang. Perhaps bomb is now a side special and counter is down?

20. Mariostar222 Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 14:39

GOD,another new character?that was quick :D but if he has the same move set :evil: I won't like more clones!!! :evil:

21. shadowlugia101 Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 14:59

Why?... just why?...

i can't even put into words how much i truly despise this character, he (along with Lucas) were the worst clones you could imagine, there is nothing that made him good he was simply a cartoony link with no value to brawl whatsoever and now they've brought him back!? he could easily just be a skin change to link but no, he as to have his own place in the roster and now sadly if you were hoping for a good newcomer you may just have your hopes destroyed as they've just gotten a hell of a lot less likely. did you want chrom, or lucina, or Lloyd Irving? well one of them certainly won't appear as toon links now the second sword wielder in the roster and they're not gonna put tonnes of them in. and if they were going to make a link clone, why not do a majoras mask link akin to pokemon trainer with him changing masks which means changing creatures and abilities, that's better than this utter crap of a character

i could think of hundreds of better charcaters than toon link, chrom, lucina, king k rool, ghiriam, bowser jr, palutena. clones are everything that is wrong with super smash bros, a ridiculous waste of space that add no value to the game in any way shape or form. i swear if another stupid clone like lucas is returning then i will seriously condsider giving up on getting this game. and plus i'm sure many more people would rather have an original new comer and so far we've only got three! and to be honest none of them really scream to me that i really want to play as them. whoever was behind putting toon link back has just done one of the worst decisions in smash bros history.

22. E123-Fawful Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 15:22

No clones is what Sakurai said.
    Need to see how this will play out as it could be like Mario and Luigi are similar but have different moves, effects and physics. Should be the case with Link and Toon Link. He really does look ugly on the 3DS.
    Otherwise a massive waste of a slot when we could have had Ghirahim.
    Ganondorf had better use swords instead of being a gimped captain falcon.
    Speaking of which, he needs to (and most likely will) return.

23. 9 Times Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 15:23

After I discovered that there wasn't going to be a real single player story mode, or a significant ammount of new characters in the game, my decision on whether to buy it rested mainly on whether Toon Link would re-appear, the player I spent most as in Brawl. For me, this is great news, and I'm personally ecstatic. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

24. NeonS4 Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 15:33

Glad to see Toon Link confirmed! Although I rarely use him, I'm pretty happy his in SSB4.

Also its worthy to note that Sakurai broke the tradition of revealing a character each 12th-ish of each month. Then again, this could be because of Wind Waker HD coming out today... For next month, my guess is Mewtwo/Jigglypuff being announced.

Now to eagerly hope Bowser Jr gets in...

25. Baker1000 Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 16:45

I like Toon Link, though I prefer the other Link more. I just realised, why aren't they giving us a Skyward Sword Link instead of the same one from SSBB based on Twilight Princess? I guess they want the realistic look for the HD Wii U version, but the SS Link would still look amazing.

Anyway, I must say I'm disappointed at the lack of new characters announced since E3. It would be nice to get a couple more newcomers. I read someone say they should keep these announcements secret like the first 3 games? They told us absolutely everyone who was in SSBB as far as I can remember. I don't know about the first 2 though. I just hope a couple more newcomers are in the roster and a few of the re-skinned characters are kicked out.

26. Darkblizz Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 17:16

Good to see him. He looks great.

27. Jakrabbit Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 17:26

I'd love to see a Goron (those rock people) from the Zelda games in smash bros more than another link.

28. 9 Times Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 17:29

Why?... just why?...

You are seriously over-reacting. :?
    If you are a true Smash Bros. fan you'll know clones have been around since the original game, and we've seen clones much worse than this in the past, such as Dr. Mario, Pichu. The fact that you're complaining about Toon Link is ridiculous. A lighter, faster and nimbler verion of Link has been around seince 2001, and just because this character is staying in the game doesn't mean they won't be adding new ones. That's like saying Luigi is taking too much room in the roster and is preventing, say, Bowser Jr., from appearing in SSB4.
    Smash Bros. isn't just about statistics and fighters, however. It's about the legacy and the characters that make Nintendo what it is. Toon Link is the mascot of the Zelda series (pretty much), one of the biggest Nintendo franchises in the world and has appeared in more Zelda games than Twilight Princess Link, so if ANY clone (other than Luigi) should be appearing in the roster this time it's him.

Clones may be copies, but they're still characters, and the fact that they ARE altered versions of existing characters is usually what makes the character what they are.

29. wghtmf Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 17:35

This is pretty good news, I like Toony better than Link himself. Also, what the hell is going on in that screenshot with Mario and Peach?

30. E123-Fawful Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 17:50

Looks like Peach had a Wario fart. :lol:

31. IRNBRU64 Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 20:22

It's nice how they are going for a more primary colour style, makes toon link look like toon link and normal link like Skyward Sword link which is good.

32. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 26th Sep 2013 at 22:53

He looks so adorable! Toon Link was my character of choice in Brawl as I prefer more agile characters in fighting games, so I'm very pleased that he is back. I just hope it doesn't mean that regular Link isn't made slower again as he was in the last game - after all, Skyward Sword proved he could be pretty nippy, so there's no need to make him move like a snail this time.

33. Lego master Friday 27th Sep 2013 at 06:31

I always play as Toon link so i'm not complaining that he's back! Though I am surprised!

34. Luke Ario Friday 27th Sep 2013 at 07:27

I think that Toon Link is a waste of a slot, because there could have been another Zelda character instead.

35. carnivine chaos Friday 27th Sep 2013 at 10:36

>Reducing number of characters in the game (possibly same number)
    >Getting rid of clones
    >Toon Link

Sakurai, I respect you greatly, like, you don't know how greatly, but this is a little disappointing. Toon Link may not be a complete clone, but he's essentially the same character. I usually don't mind clones since it's like a character that's slightly tweaked which could match your play-style better, but when considering a reduced roster, it's a little... ehh...

36. MartinIsAwesome Friday 27th Sep 2013 at 11:55

>Reducing number of characters in the game (possibly same number)

I've heard this quite a lot in the last couple of hours, and I have never heard of this being a fact. Do you know of any sources where it says that the number of players has been reduced because I was certain that Sakurai just said there won't be more characters than Brawl and that not all Brawl characters will be making the cut. I assumed that people had added 2 and 2 and got 5 (or in this case maybe '3' is more apt) but now I'm not so sure.

37. martynm Friday 27th Sep 2013 at 13:46

See my post on todays screenshot. i cant be bothered to repeat myself again but MIA is right again..

38. Diana Richards Saturday 28th Sep 2013 at 01:06

I think its stupid to have toon link return... Why do we need two links? This basically sets in stone that normal link will be a bad character and toon link will be better.
    :cry: