Pokemon X and Y: Mega Charizard X revealed, first trailer

Charizard gets a second Mega Evolution

The Pokemon Company has revealed that Charizard will have a second Mega Evolution that's exclusive to Pokemon X.

Just like Mega Mewtwo - who has separate Mega Evolutions for Pokemon X and Pokemon Y - Charizard will have two evolutions. The evolution that was announced today is called Mega Charizard X. Mega Charizard Y will appear in Pokemon Y

Mega Charizard X was revealed during Pokemon Origins, the first episode of which aired in Japan today.

Charizard can Mega Evolve into either Mega Charizard X or Mega Charizard Y, depending on which Mega Stone it holds - Charizardite X or Charizardite Y. When Charizard Mega Evolves into Mega Charizard X, its body turns black and its flames burn blue with increased heat. It also changes types when it Mega Evolves, changing from a Fire/Flying-type Pokemon to a Fire/Dragon-type Pokemon

Mega Charizard X's Attack increases significantly, and its Ability changes to Tough Claws, which raises the power of moves that make direct contact. This Ability comes in handy when Mega Charizard X uses the Dragon-type move Dragon Tail, which does damage and can force an opposing Pokemon to switch out during battle.

What do you think of Mega Charizard X?

Comments

1. shy guy 64 Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 12:00

well thats awesome

2. SkywardSaix Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 12:03

Now I'm slightly regretting ordering Y..

3. Tamzily01 Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 12:06

*sighs* Great, a second Mega Evolution for Charizard. Like we needed ANOTHER one of those. One was enough, and I don't mean that in a good way. _

4. Jjoseph27 Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 12:09

Indeed to the first comment

5. pokemaniac 212 Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 12:12

Sean will be so mad at this news. On the plus side, it looks pretty cool, and the new typing is much better.

Plus if charizard is getting 2 mega forms, then the other kanto starters probably will too.

6. lrwr14 Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 12:13

I get the feeling they will be doing this for a lot of pokemon, giving them a X and Y form.

7. PuAl Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 12:14

Is it just me or does X seem to be getting the more drastic (but in this and MewTwo's case, rather silly) looking mega evolutions? I'm starting to get tempted to switch my pre-order to Y. That said, I'll wait until I see what Mega Venusaur X looks like, as Bulbasaur's my 2nd starter of choice.

8. Scraggy man Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 12:21

WHAT THE HELL?!?
    Really? Is everyone just getting 2 megaforms for each version?
    I really hope that X and Y had a boat load of pokemon and surprises and that Gamefreak did not spend most of their time wondering how many ways can we redesign a fan favorite.
    I wonder if there is a Pokemon Z version planned will that have its own separate megaforms for Mewtwo and Charizard too?

9. Time-Bomb Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 12:26

WHAT?! That was unexpected! Will the other two get two megalutions? If I have a shiny charizard, what colour is this thing gonna be?!

The part dragon type will please a lot of people though!

10. Komodo_Wolfgang Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 12:28

I agree. 1 was more than enough. To be honest, all you have to do is get rid of the flames on their tails and thats two new pokemon. I prefer Ys Charizard to Xs though. No doubt other pokemon will get extra mega evos. ugh.

Still, 11 DAYS PEOPLE!

11. King Slazo Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 12:29

This is amazing.

12. Ant108 Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 12:47

I agree as well (Sadly) :|

13. MetsuHadoken1995 Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 13:19

Now people might be quiet about Charizard not being a dragon =w=

14. martynm Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 13:38

In all honesty I would prefer X2 and Y2 rather than Z. Sequels are the way to go for Pokemon. Worked for Black and White 2 and Silver if you you consider it a sequel of sorts for RBY

15. FoxMcCloud Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 13:39

Part of me is screaming: Dude this is bloody awesome! Blue flame Charizard yeah!:-)

The other part of me is screaming: This is getting bloody ridiculous, what are they thinking!? :-(

I'm so divided on this! Can't wait to get the games and find out if it's the most awesome thing ever or the stupidest decision Gamefreak ever made...10 days to go!

16. peter-wright Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 13:42

Showcasing some Y exclusives would be great!

17. Zephild Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 13:52

I prefer the Mega Y version but............ this one has a fire/dragon type, that's pretty good whereas fire/flying makes him kind of boring.

18. Elektra Kosh Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 13:55

So why does X version mega form pokemon have type change when Y version mega forms have don't? Yeah I'm talking bout an added type to Mewtwo (Fighting) while Charizard gets Dragon instead of Flying. I'm feeling a little cheated. :(

19. StriderHedgehog Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 14:01

The design leaves me utterly speechless. My brother's gonna explode with joy when he sees this.

20. Deborah Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 14:13

I'm loving this mega evolution. I assume the Charizardite X is tradeable between games like the Mewtwonite is? Guess that's my kanto starter pick finally decided.

21. Dean Thompson Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 14:30

Incorrect. That is all.

22. shadowlugia101 Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 14:50

THAT. THING. IS. AWESOME!!!

Seriously i mean, its blue and dragon type!!! if anyone is willing i would love to have mega charizard X, and in return i would give you mega charizard Y or another pokemon of your choosing. please PM me if interested :D

23. fisher2007 Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 14:54

Mega Charizard X look's awesome. 8)

24. Luke Ario Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 15:00

Ok, firstly, that Pokemon looks awesome! :D :D :D :D
    However, I do feel slightly concerned about the amonut of Mega Evolutions these Pokemon are getting.

25. BowserPlotting Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 15:05

Charizard finally gets to become a dragon *sniff*

26. BanksLad Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 15:08

I have a shiny Charizard, will it still be black when it Mega evolves into it's X form or a different colour? And also, annoying that everyone can now have black Charizards when I worked so long to get one! :x

27. E123-Fawful Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 15:39

Mega Charizard Y all the way. (If I ever use that over rated Lizard with wings)
    Least it can't get hit by Earthquake (That will sting Megazard X) and has a resistance to Fairy but of course Stealth Rock.

One was enough, and I don't mean that in a good way. _

Agreed.
    And as stated previously those Black Charizards you kept resetting games and saves for? Not so special now.

28. DynamicPunch202 Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 15:40

Oh my god! Look at that thing! I'm gonna have to do a lot of haggling to get that mega stone of my cousin, but it'll be so worth it.

29. agqwestern Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 15:47

BADASS :shock:

30. 9 Times Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 15:47

They better make this available for Blastoise (water/steel) and Venusaur (grass/ground?)
    or I will lose a lot of respect for Game Freak. ''OH EVERYBODY'S JUST GOING TO CHOOSE CHARIZARD ANY WAYS SO LETS JUST GIVE HIM 2'' Give me a freaking break...

Sure, each game has it's own 'Mega Charizard', but that's pointless, whilst for Mewtwo it kind of fits. His genetics are unstable, he's a mutant, etc. so 2 new transformations is a good idea, but why Charizard? People are blinded are by 'how badass' and 'super cool' it is, and are completely blind to this obvious and pointless fanservice. Why not just make Y dragon in the first place? It makes a lot more sense, especially as thisone just looks like he's from outer space.
    The only cool thing about this thing is that it's going to be on Red's team. Myabe I'll respect it a bit more.

31. HughPR Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 16:18

I think it was an unnecessary addition, but I'll reserve judgement until I play the game. I like X's design apart from the blue flappy bits by its mouth. I just hope that only the Kanto starters get two mega evolutions; I can't be doing with all starters having new forms.

The typing of X is okay...not good or better as it would have been in Gen V, because of Fairy, but the physical boost and Dragon STAB could be good! I would consider changing to Y now, if I didn't love Xerneas so much. I mean, Yveltal is awesome too, but Xerneas is awesome, plus is SE against Yveltal.

32. RiksilveR Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 16:57

Majority of Pokemon fandom: "Charizard should totally be a dragon type"
    *Charizard gets a more powerful, more badass dragon type forme*
    *Fandom explodes in rage*

I don't care what the naysayers say, I like Charizard X. So much so that I've had to go back on my decision to pick squirtle for a change and get Charmander instead. As for all the worry over shinies, I imagine Mega evolutions will retain a color change of some sort. Silvery white or normal orange for Charizard X maybe?

33. Version10 Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 17:25

Indeed to the first comment

Indeed to that

34. 1D_LH98 Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 20:26

im glad they've finally made charizard into a fire/dragon type but why have 2 mega evolutions. yes it might give the game more variety but why didn't they just make charizard into a mega evolved fire/dragon pokemon instead of having a mega evolution for x and another for y. i was ok when they did it with mewtwo but now this might cause problems with which version is better :?

35. starman292 Wednesday 2nd Oct 2013 at 23:28

Wow, I really like that. Looks like a charizard sensei lol XD I actually like that more than the Y design but I don't think I'll change my preorder lol.

36. Volac Thursday 3rd Oct 2013 at 06:50

The lovely people from ShowVideoGames on twitch are gonna be doing a 720 Hour Pokemon Marathon of X and Y on October 12th - November 12th. You'll be able to battle them during the marathon if you have the game. There will be a lot of fun during the stream and they want to make a big Pokemon community come check them out.

37. glen44 Thursday 3rd Oct 2013 at 16:08

I like the idea of changing the pokemons type with mega evolutions and i hope they can keep it up for atleast a few more pokemon and not just be a one time thing :)

38. ThePokekid78 Thursday 3rd Oct 2013 at 17:44

Best one since Noivern...this is awesome!

39. DMcAZelda Friday 4th Oct 2013 at 17:54

Darn you Nintendo. I was going to pick squirtle but now i'm conflicted :( mega charizard x looks so bloody cool. And as if picking starters wasn't hard enough already. at this rate, i'll probably be going with froakie and squirtle (love water types) but i may change my mind come OCtober 12th. 8 more days!!!! :D :D

40. 9 Times Sunday 6th Oct 2013 at 10:36

Majority of Pokemon fandom: "Charizard should totally be a dragon type"
    *Charizard gets a more powerful, more badass dragon type forme*
    *Fandom explodes in rage*

Huh? That's almost the complete OPPOSITE of the situation. :?

They didn't need to give him ANOTHER mega form to make him dragon. They should have given this long sought-after choice to EVERYBODY, no matter what version, so nobody is left out and forced to switch versions (I pre-ordered X in the first place, but I'm choosing Bulbasaur) It's silly, especially as it's a cool step up from Charizard on it's own. Personally, I prefer Mega Charizard Y. It looks classic, genuine, and isn't some desperate attempt to look dark and cool. it looks like an evolution to Charizard, the way Mega forms should.

41. kirlia trainer Sunday 6th Oct 2013 at 14:38

So awesome! Finally can Charizard live his true dream to be a real dragon.

42. ninelevendo91 Tuesday 8th Oct 2013 at 11:43

I'm just wondering if Charizard X can enter flying battles. Also wondering if you can transfer a pokemon with a 'X' mega stone to Y version. I mean, who wants Mewtwo Y? Charizard X though, is a nice, creative change.