Union J to change their name to Union XY for the Pokemon X and Y launch

X Factor boy band are big Pokemon fans

Union J will change their name to Union XY when Pokemon X and Y are released on 12 October. Union J's George Shelley suggested the name change and was involved in the design of the logo which will appear on the band's Twitter feed.

The band, who will be promoting Pokemon X and Y, announced the news at a press conference in London on Friday where they arrived dressed in Pikachu onesies.

Explaining the name change, George said: "We've always loved Pokemon and it was a massive part of our childhood, I'm hooked on it. "When I was telling the rest of the band how excited I was about playing Pokemon X and Pokemon Y, the idea to change our name just came to me. It's so cool to be a part of the game in some way; it feels like a natural fit."

They really are big Pokemon fans. Some members of the band got into Pokemon through the Trading Card game while Jaymi Hensley told ONM that his favourite Pokemon game is Pokemon Red, having played the first ever Pokemon game when he was young.

Comments

1. martynm Friday 4th Oct 2013 at 14:05

I want a PIkachu onsie...

2. Dark nemisis Friday 4th Oct 2013 at 14:18

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

Well at least this is good for Nintendo!

3. Luke Ario Friday 4th Oct 2013 at 14:49

I am so close to stpping playing Pokemon. So close.

4. Komodo_Wolfgang Friday 4th Oct 2013 at 15:15

I am so close to stpping playing Pokemon. So close.

Bit pathetic and extreme dont you think?

speaking of extreme. Is the name change permanent? or Will they switch back? Because Union J makes more sense than XY... atleast... more plausable sense..

5. E123-Fawful Friday 4th Oct 2013 at 15:23

9.0 from IGN.
    The Negative being the Brain Dead trainers.
    Would like a difficulty setting that makes the AI better and some trainers really tough so veterans can go through a tough experience and those trying to get into the game can go on easy mode. Maybe in the Deluxe version, remakes (if any) or Gen VII?
    The start is relatively quick and a lot of Praise was put on the game.

I am so close to stpping playing Pokemon. So close.

I don't care if a terrible band is promoting something. Isn't going to stop me playing as it DOESN'T AFFECT THE EXPERIENCE. It's getting the game out to a bigger audience. Remember Black and White being Promoted by 1 Direction?
    Terrible band but still played. However I haven't heard of Union J so I don't care about who they are.

I like everything I've seen about this game and might do a Cartman. :mrgreen:
    Also there's a Mega Gengar, Mega Aerodactyl and Mega Abomasnow in the game.
    Links are in the Pokemon section of the Forums if you're wondering how I know.

I think it's just for advertising purposes that they've changed their name.

6. fisher2007 Friday 4th Oct 2013 at 15:49
  7. 9 Times Friday 4th Oct 2013 at 15:52

...
    Well.

This is cringe-worthy news, I must say.

8. Dexan Friday 4th Oct 2013 at 16:14

I am so close to stpping playing Pokemon. So close.

Bit pathetic and extreme dont you think?

No the name change is just for the day :)

9. Binba442 Friday 4th Oct 2013 at 16:58

Correction: Union J paid off to change their name to Union XY for the Pokemon X/Y launch.

Seriously. No one loses their integrity as a band for free.

10. HughPR Friday 4th Oct 2013 at 17:34

I just don't understand why...I mean, the publicity is more for their benefit as the game is fine, so...are they sponging of X and Y's fairly inevitable success? Hmmm...

11. SmashBro2712 Friday 4th Oct 2013 at 22:27

FFS how is a boy band going to sell Pokemon games? This is more for their publicity than Pokemon's.
    Please Nintendo, PLEASE STOP putting cheesy celebrity cameos in your ads, if you can't market a game by saying "it's a good game here's why you should buy it" then fire your marketing team! Honestly I could do a better job.

12. theycallmejack Friday 4th Oct 2013 at 23:23

Remember Rhythm Paradise on the DS? Sold like no copies whatsoever. Nintendo roll out a commercial showing Beyonce playing it. Rhythm Paradise becomes smash hit. No one can market anything by saying 'This is good, buy it.' If it was that easy to sell things then I'd be a billionaire by now. Celebrity endorsements may be cheesy, they may not appeal to you in particular, but it's a tried and tested method that people have used since the dawn of time. If you aren't keen on celebrity endorsements you could always try the simple method of just buying the game off your own back and playing it instead of watching adverts about it. Just. Saying.

13. geengy Saturday 5th Oct 2013 at 10:00

Evem if Union J suck, it's a brilliant promotional tactic, although I do want to throw up. They might as well make every x factor boy band change their name, wait no, change the show to The X/Y Factor.

14. samball53 Saturday 5th Oct 2013 at 19:03

That is embarrassing. They would get laughed at by half the population.

15. SmashBro2712 Saturday 5th Oct 2013 at 20:30

And what makes you think I don't buy games off my own back? I do! I've already pre-ordered Y, just got WW collectors edition (pre-ordered long before event the reviews first broke) and will be buying a number of games in the coming months. As a gamer I don't NEED ads to make me buy the game as I follow gaming and particularly Nintendo closely.

And actually, games such as the Last of Us have sold well in part because the ads showed off the game, it's graphics, what its about, and how well it has been received. I don't recall seeing celebrity endorsements for it, GTA5, CoD or any number of recent big-selling games. When I see (and I know I'm not alone on this) ads that show the gameplay and the reception then I'm more inclined to buy it than if I saw an ad with X celeb in it and go "oh, David Beckham's in an add for Wii Music, I better buy it then". I can see why such ads may appeal to casual gamers with Rhythm Paradise and such - but what exactly is the connection between a boy band and Pokemon? It may be an effective way to appeal to kids/fans of whoever is doing the ad but there's a large more mature audience who wont buy games on a whim because someone got paid to say kind words about it. Some people need telling why they should buy it, and when done correctly they will. Look at he people who buy CoD, do they have a celeb doing the ads? no, CoDs ads are actually quite good in my book, despite what I think of the franchise and obviously they do the job. I can't help but feel this celebrity gimmick crap is one reason why Nintendo is stuck with the kiddy, not-hardcore image which is a real shame.
    Perhaps I'm being harsh, if Nintendo balanced these "casual"/Celeb ads with "hardcore ones" that focus on the games and the customers then I wouldn't mind. - And I'll definitely make an exception for the Robin Williams Zelda ads, they are of some relevance and seeing him and Zelda playing Zelda is cut above showing nothing but someone gawping at a screen.

16. Mello Sunday 6th Oct 2013 at 01:17

Nintendo is 'stuck' with the kiddie, not-hardcore image because they have always aimed their games at everyone, but especially children. Games like Pokemon can be attractive to older players for various reasons from depth of gameplay, to nostalgia, love of JRPG-style games or love of cutesy things, but they're ultimately aimed at children. This has always been the case, and even in the heyday of the SNES etc, Nintendo were mocked and sometimes dismissed by some for being too kiddie by people with Segas and Amigas and the like.

This is a marketing tactic aimed at getting the young, especially those not already overly familiar with Pokemon, to be interested in the game. The millions of younger people who are into this boy band and watch the show they were on etc will see the advert and many will be more likely to be interested in the game. It's how celebrity endorsements work, and as a business, it's an ideal way for Nintendo to make some new Pokemon fans and plenty of extra money.

Companies wouldn't do this stuff so often if it didn't work.

17. E123-Fawful Sunday 6th Oct 2013 at 10:19

Big-Selling titles.
    There's your problem.
    When CoD became the easiest game to play on the market loads of people bought it.
    GTA is loved for the right reasons like Story, characters, things to do etc.
    With too many people playing these "Hardcore" games Nintendo need to advertise using celebrities.
    Especially ones with huge fan bases as most fans would buy anything with their favourite person/group advertising something in a heartbeat.
    And CoD ads are terrible. They only show the Michael Bay scenes. Says a lot about CoDs main audience.
    Nintendo ads usually show off actual gameplay and new features which falls under "Why you should buy this game". Not saying we have a brilliant game to show you and showing the same old stuff.
    And most people who play Pokemon are teens and adults. I rarely see or hear of many children playing it.
    Also TLOU sold well because it's a Naughty Dog game. And they make really good games in my eyes. Just not my type of games though. And graphics don't make the game. I would rather play something with a great story, controls, characters, gimmicks and is really fun despite looking like garbage than something that looked absolutely amazing but was bad else where.
    I highly doubt you could do better than Nintendo and as they call me Jack said if it was so easy to advertise by saying we're awesome then there would be many billionaires.
    Trust me. Using a boy band that came off of a popular (but bad) TV show and has a decent fanbase will help sales.

Hardcore doesn't mean - Guns! Blood! Violence! Sex! Gore! Swearing! etc. It's along the lines of a company's core games no matter how "Kiddie" they are. I won't tell you how many times I've laughed at someone saying CoD is hardcore because of it being violent though I will say that I'd be the richest man on Earth if I had Ł1 for every time someone said that.