UK chart: Skylanders beats Pokemon X and Y, Sonic misses out on top ten

The latest All-format, Wii U, 3DS and Wii charts

Sonic: Lost World just missed out on the UK top ten after its opening weekend on sale. Sonic's Wii U and 3DS platformer entered the chart at number 11 but it is the new Wii U number one, beating the likes of Zelda: Wind Waker HD and Skylanders: Swap Force.

Skylanders: Swap Force is the new Wii number one and was the highest new entry in the UK chart, going in at number three ahead of Pokemon X and Pokemon Y which are placed at four and five respectively. This means Pokemon X is still the 3DS number one ahead of Pokemon Y. Sonic: Lost World went in at number four in the 3DS chart, one place behind Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

Here are the latest All-format, 3DS, Wii U and Wii charts.

All-formats chart

7. Mario Kart Wii

8. New Super Mario Bros Wii

9. Mario Party 9

10. Wii Party Angry Birds Trilogy

Comments

1. RainbowGazelle Monday 21st Oct 2013 at 08:44

I may have just lost a little bit of faith in humanity.

2. TheVelvetRoom Monday 21st Oct 2013 at 10:09

I just can't comprehend this at all. Pokemon is far more in-depth, collection-satisfying, established, affordable and enjoyable than Skylanders. It ought to have been the biggest selling game of the year, yet it loses to overpriced toys?

3. Stryker89 Monday 21st Oct 2013 at 10:28

Kids love Skylanders, I mean they REALLY love it.

4. RSE III Monday 21st Oct 2013 at 10:29

That's true, but Skylanders is insanely popular with kids, and it's multi-platform. Pokemon is only on the 3ds.

5. E123-Fawful Monday 21st Oct 2013 at 10:36

Whilst killing off other peoples childhoods. Should never have given Spyro and Crash to Activision.
    Over priced, Over rated, poorly made games being the death of 2 of my favourite characters.
    At least the developers of Skylanders don't consider Fish AI, Dogs and space next gen though.

6. tomonm Monday 21st Oct 2013 at 10:38

Also, Skylanders was released last week while Pokemon was released on 12 October. It's done well to hang around.

7. NintendanGX Monday 21st Oct 2013 at 11:15

I couldn't care less for Pokémon. Ever since I discovered Shin Megami Tensei, I was more hooked to that instead, as it has a much more mature and better thought-out story, press-turn battle system unique to that series, demons based on real mythological and religious figures and multiple endings. I grew out of Pokémon a while ago, plus I don't like this idea that I'll never be able to catch them all when they keep adding more Pokémon every five or so years. I like to know that 100% completing the games I play actually IS possible.

8. E123-Fawful Monday 21st Oct 2013 at 11:30

Playing the age card are we?
    The oldest, dullest and worst argument for not caring about Pokemon.

9. RSE III Monday 21st Oct 2013 at 12:21

Playing the age card are we?
    The oldest, dullest and worst argument for not caring about Pokemon.

Agreed. I never understood how to play Pokemon properly until I was about 14 and a half.

Even though Pokemon is marketed at kids, there's a lot of strategy in Pokemon battles that's aimed at older teenagers/adults.

10. fisher2007 Monday 21st Oct 2013 at 12:40

It's a shame sonic game's is rubbish as well.

11. Luke Ario Monday 21st Oct 2013 at 14:50

Pokemon SHOULD be top of the pile, only maybe beaten ny GTA. Skylanders, however, has became a bit of a favourite among children (if not their parents). I do predict that Skylanders will lose some steam in a couple of years and Pokemon will be back on top.

Also, the fact that Swap Force is on multiple formats may have something to do with it's beating of Pokemon.

12. Luke Ario Monday 21st Oct 2013 at 14:52

Playing the age card are we?
    The oldest, dullest and worst argument for not caring about Pokemon.

Pokemon - easy to play, hard to master. Kid friendly (when it isn't talking about Hypno abducting children) but attractive to adults, too. Or at least to the ones not blinded by their own pride.

I'm 16 and I will never - NEVER - stop playing Pokemon.

13. E123-Fawful Monday 21st Oct 2013 at 14:56

It's a shame sonic game's is rubbish as well.

It's a shame some reviewers don't know how to play the game and only whinge about his Speed (which they couldn't master) instead of talking about the whole game.
    Played the demo and it was really fluid control wise.

14. ThePokekid78 Monday 21st Oct 2013 at 16:20

15. NintendanGX Monday 21st Oct 2013 at 16:53

Playing the age card are we?
    The oldest, dullest and worst argument for not caring about Pokemon.

Dude, seriously, there are plenty of better RPGs out there. If you weren't so closed-minded and actually ventured outside the realms of an adventure for kids, maybe you'd understand.

16. Tamzily01 Monday 21st Oct 2013 at 16:57

It's a shame sonic game's is rubbish as well.

Played the demo and it was really fluid control wise.

I had problems with Sonic's speed when playing the 3DS version at Eurogamer. Of course, it was only when I got to the end sequence on the level I was playing, that I figured out there was a button you had to press in order for him to run... :/

17. Luke Ario Monday 21st Oct 2013 at 17:04

Playing the age card are we?
    The oldest, dullest and worst argument for not caring about Pokemon.

I often think the closed minded people are the people who shun Pokemon for being a kids game. I've played many RPG's and I have enjoyed all of them but there is a certain charm in Pokemon which I have never found again. Of coourse, no game (other than Mario Kart) can be enjoyed by everone so your opinion is valid.

18. E123-Fawful Monday 21st Oct 2013 at 17:15

Playing the age card are we?
    The oldest, dullest and worst argument for not caring about Pokemon.

False accusations. Love it.
    And it is more close minded to say what you have said.
    I play Ni No Kuni (Granted it's a JRPG) when I can as well as Shin Megami and most of those other RPGs out there but Pokemon stands out which is why I like it above all others.

19. TheVelvetRoom Monday 21st Oct 2013 at 18:10

Playing the age card are we?
    The oldest, dullest and worst argument for not caring about Pokemon.

Dude, seriously, there are plenty of quality RPGs out there. I love a ton of stuff in the genre: from Final Fantasy, to Shin Megami Tensei; Kingdom Hearts to Disgaea; Tales Of to Nier. I'm an RPG connoisseur, and honestly I consider Pokemon in the top-tier of RPG series due to its sheer depth in collection and battle and excellent multiplayer aspects. Just because something isn't for kids doesn't make it better than something that is (just look at garbage like Time & Eternity). You're clearly being the closed-minded one if your rule of thumb for quality is whether something is PEGI 3+ or PEGI 16+

20. rrriki Monday 21st Oct 2013 at 18:51

Wooo! Skylanders!

21. Xenobladeperson Monday 21st Oct 2013 at 19:22

Playing the age card are we?
    The oldest, dullest and worst argument for not caring about Pokemon.

11 / 10

22. Luke Ario Monday 21st Oct 2013 at 20:32

Wooo! Skylanders!

GET OUT! JUST... GET OUT! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: