9 unsolved mysteries of Pokemon X and Y

There are some strange happenings in the Kalos region...

Pokemon X and Y have only been out for about a couple of weeks now, and while some people are only half-way through the story, others have already defeated the Elite Four or established a trading empire over the GTS and are well on their way to catching 'em all. But ask anyone, no matter how many hours they've put in the game, and they will likely agree that all is not what it seems in Kalos. Slowly but surely, fans are uncovering mystery after mystery, such as items with no clear purpose, doors that don't open and odd messages that don't make any sense.

In the past, such as with the Generation IV and V titles, people were able to look deep into the game files and discover everything there was to know, from simple key items to event Pokemon that had not been officially recognised by Nintendo. However, thanks to the 3DS's architecture, this just hasn't been possible in the same way this time around.

So, for the first time in an age, fans are completely in the dark about just how much X and Y have to offer. I for one love the unsolved mysteries, so it's an exciting time to be playing these games. Here are nine of the mysteries that fans are puzzled about. Be aware there are some mild spoilers.

1. Is there a hidden new region?

This is by far the biggest mystery that has flummoxed the Pokemon community. There is a hotel in most towns in the Pokemon region and, if you head upstairs, you'll often meet a backpacker.. When you talk to him, he'll say: "The Kalos region is nice and all, but you should really check out my region! There's a facility that you wouldn't believe... Ah, never mind. You'll see it in due time".

There are some variations to this sentence if you visit him more than once. When I encountered him, he mentioned a town instead of a facility. At first, this seemed like a cheeky reference to another region we've seen before; after all, X and Y are absolutely full to the brim with references to past Pokemon games. The mention of a facility or town is just so vague that it could be referring to any of the previous five regions.

Only there's that last bit. You'll see it in due time? What could he mean by that? Well, one of the most highly requested Pokemon games at the moment is a remake of Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald. The Generation I and II games have both seen remakes on the Game Boy Advance and DS respectively, so it seems fitting for Game Freak to create a remake of Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald for the 3DS. Using this logic, many fans have interpreted the backpacker's dialogue as a hint to a remake that will be released in the near future, thus being something we'll "see in due time."

In all fairness, that does make some sense, but unfortunately for all of those people craving said remakes, this theory has been disproven by the backpacker himself. You see, after speaking to this man a certain number of times, he'll throw a spanner in the works by saying: "Where is it, you ask? Well, I can tell you that it's not Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh or even Unova!"

Cue the stunned silence. It's not a region from any of the previous main Pokemon games. It's potentially a brand new region, with towns and facilities "you'll never believe" and we'll see it in due time. Could Game Freak be outdoing themselves by making an entirely new region available as an event? Could Nintendo be planning DLC content for X and Y? Is Generation VII really not that far away? There are no answers, but I for one can't wait to find out.

If this wasn't mind-blowing enough, there's more. After he's told you that the region he's from is not one of the Pokemon regions we've explored in the past, he gives you a special item called the Strange Souvenir.

Curiously, the item has 'x 1' next to it, meaning there could be more than one available. It is said to depict a venerated Pokemon which acts as a protector of a region far away from Kalos. I don't know about you, but the face you can see is unlike any Pokemon that we know about at this time, and this leads us into our next mystery...

Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page

Comments

1. martynm Wednesday 23rd Oct 2013 at 12:00

I'm down with the extra Mega Evolutions. if that 'leaked' list of Mega Pokemon are to be believed (and it has been accurate thus far) that it is a possibility.

..and I have a Gallade in my party for that very reason :)

2. theycallmejack Wednesday 23rd Oct 2013 at 12:13

I really like the idea that there could be so much more to these games included in DLC! I have thought to myself that they seem to be pretty light on content once you've defeated the Elite 4, so hopefully Nintendo has some events and releases this stuff! Would be super cool! Plus, there's LOADS of room on the Kalos map which isn't filled with either routes or towns!

3. shy guy 64 Wednesday 23rd Oct 2013 at 12:16

some of them sound like a case of reading into to a bit much

but not all of them

4. CyberGW Wednesday 23rd Oct 2013 at 12:50

Wow! Lots of very exciting stuff in there. I too much prefer the mystery instead of the hacking.
    Unfortunately I do think some will just be another unanswered question in Pokémon, but surely some of the beans must be spilt in good time.

5. BlazeCharizard Wednesday 23rd Oct 2013 at 12:53

The first one could just be talking about the Orre region; it isn't necessarily new.

6. Tamzily01 Wednesday 23rd Oct 2013 at 13:02

some of them sound like a case of reading into to a bit much

but not all of them

That's pretty much a description of the fandom whenever Hoenn is mentioned. Just because they reference Gen 3 doesn't mean those games are getting remade.

7. big-splat Wednesday 23rd Oct 2013 at 14:53

The whole theory about the extra hidden Pokémon and the fact that the bloke in the Scary House talking about hordes of faceless men may be suggesting a design for one of the new Pokémon being based off of the Slender Man, though it is a wild stab in the dark.

8. Time-Bomb Wednesday 23rd Oct 2013 at 15:40

Didn't GameFreak tweet something the other day along the lines of "We hear some people are upset about the number of new Pokemon. Please don't be, there's more surprises to come".

I think I saw it on Reddit or something so it might not have been real. Still, I definitely think we'll be hearing more soon. Maybe when the Bank comes out, they'll give us access to more stuff like the power plant!

9. Haru Waji Wednesday 23rd Oct 2013 at 15:53

I really hope they announce or reveal in some way or form, the Gen VI Legendary Trio Pokemon. Interested to see what they would be. Black and White took it a bit too far imo.

10. wiill 64 Wednesday 23rd Oct 2013 at 16:06

Apparently there's three event Pokemon which serebii had pages up for but quickly removed them. These Pokemon are: Diancie a Rock/Fairy type, Volcanion a Fire/Water type, and Hoopa a Psychic/Ghost type. No images of these Pokemon are available but they are apparently searchable for on the GTS. Some of these mysteries sound like possible future events like Darkrai/Shaymin/Arceus from Diamond/Pearl
    One mystery that you don't have listed is the note in the Lumoise City press building which states the owner is off searching for a mythical Pokemon in the mountains.

11. Hero_Of_Moga Wednesday 23rd Oct 2013 at 17:03

I don't think it is a reference to a slenderman-esque pokemon but instead a reference to the movie the mysterious red fog that you could take part in filming in b+w2 as the humaniods that are featured have no face and at one point you have to face off against 6 of them (the hordes) so it is possible that the man in the house is actually an actor from unova.

12. DarkBladeXIII Wednesday 23rd Oct 2013 at 17:07

just a thought... wasnt footage of a (possibly) HD version of pokemon released recently, it was like 4 seconds long before succumbing to static. Could this rather abrupt clip coincide with the backpackers region?

13. HaydnRhys Wednesday 23rd Oct 2013 at 17:12

Or maybe even Almia or Oblivia from the Pokémon Ranger games. I seem to recall the having some pretty cool facilities there.

14. big-splat Wednesday 23rd Oct 2013 at 18:12

Ah, I didn't consider that. I ended up skipping B&W 2 so haven't got much knowledge on it so wouldn't have got that reference.

15. J42 Wednesday 23rd Oct 2013 at 18:16

Interesting you mentioned that tipping raises the chances of a shiny encounter. I tip everyone I meet, cos I'm nice like that, and yesterday I found a shiny Wailmer in the wild! :D It's not solid evidence I know, but still...

16. DarkDeoxys Wednesday 23rd Oct 2013 at 18:49

anyone check out the outside of boutique courture in Lumiose City, if you look in the doorway you can see a shape that looks like Missingno. (you have to move the camera around via the d pad)

17. conodsi Wednesday 23rd Oct 2013 at 20:42

Just thinking, the thing about the faceless men-look at that souvenir item, kind of looks like a face without any features...

18. Edward Kenway Thursday 24th Oct 2013 at 18:21

ILLUMINATI

19. J42 Thursday 24th Oct 2013 at 18:30

And today my team caught pokerus! Does tipping increase the chances of that too? :D I'm so lucky!

20. Elliot117 Thursday 24th Oct 2013 at 19:53

What about the chamber of emptiness on the map? The description is 'A mysterious void. It is said nothing can exist within it.
    When I finished the game I went there hoping to find Girantina's legendary brother or something but instead all there is a spooky plate and after the game a mega stone. Surely after that cool description it has to have something else besides items?

21. Ben Rhodes Thursday 24th Oct 2013 at 19:58

There is a train station in one of the towns in Kalos. A train station that is unused. It is said to bring travelers from another region. Just thought I'd throw that in

22. mrlister Thursday 24th Oct 2013 at 21:18

I'd like to see a return to Orre, and of the shadow pokemon mechanic. Orre, and a motorbike.

23. CraigEmberson Thursday 24th Oct 2013 at 21:39

I still don't know exactly why Lysandre appeared with those Gadgets on him but don't you think his colour scheme resembles a Heatran? He had the orange glasses over his eyes, silver tech on him, red fiery hair and all.

If it weren't for a Scientist in one of the Pokemon Centers suggesting a device that turns humans into Pokemon, I wouldn't have put those things together but he did live in Lumiose... Perhaps he hid as a Pokemon after those events.

24. Zimri21 Thursday 24th Oct 2013 at 22:32

I'm interested in the they talk about Gary. there is also an old couple that talk about there anniversary 45th being ruby and the 50th Sapphire. it's in Richness Hotel. (might of spelled that incorrectly.)

25. Emily Ward Friday 25th Oct 2013 at 18:08

So I went to lumiose city to see the 2 women talking about a pokemon in jaune plaza, I noticed the 2nd woman says "Hohohoho! It's hard to stand in jaune plaza and not want to mimic pokemon cries, isn't it? " I think that the one woman enjoys making pokemon cries and does it in that plaza...and her friend is gullible and thinks the pokemon is actually in the plaza <.< >.> just my observation :) I love the idea of more content! I'm hoping that it's true!

26. dragoncrasher Friday 25th Oct 2013 at 18:27

Ghosts, faceless men, and hidden messages, eh? It's time! For creepypasta!

27. cuupicake Saturday 26th Oct 2013 at 04:01

To the mystery about the ghost woman, I believe the same girl is on the forth floor of the Richissime in the room on the top right standing next to the wall. Anyone else think its the same chick? I am honestly so curious about her and the sign in the train station!

28. coolquote Sunday 27th Oct 2013 at 02:40

The train station message, do you think the person that went for help could be related to the two sleeping skiddo outside? The old lady next to the station says that they stay there, waiting for their trainer to come back.

29. D.Factor Sunday 27th Oct 2013 at 04:35

There's also the question of how the extremely tall man is so old and if he will find his 'immortal' pokemon. He does question if he will ever meet with it again and since he's alive its out there somewhere. Maybe that Floette might be a super-rare pokemon through event you never know.

Or the man in the creepy house if you return to him says that some secrets are better taken to the grave. Something along those lines. So maybe there isn't anything to follow up the spook. It would be the same with the ghost girl on the bridge in Unova. Also, if you go to the skater cafe in Lumiose one of the skaters states that the most famous skater in the whole region trains and remains in that creepy house supposedly according to rumors but when you go there isn't a skater.

30. Kev_h80 Sunday 27th Oct 2013 at 12:44

I've still to complete Pokémon Black - am I too far behind to get X and Y? The new features certainly look tempting...

31. taximadish Monday 28th Oct 2013 at 00:01

If you go to the skater cafe in Lumiose one of the skaters states that the most famous skater in the whole region trains and remains in that creepy house supposedly according to rumors but when you go there isn't a skater.

The "Famous Skater" is actually in the Lost Hotel on Route 15. He calls himself The Boss and teaches you the Cosmic Flip trick.

32. Pokeghost Tuesday 29th Oct 2013 at 12:48

I love how the guy sais the faceless people in the lost hotel were by the fridge... look around DO YOU SEE A FRIDGE!?

33. LFOB Tuesday 29th Oct 2013 at 19:13

Maybe someone at GameFreak who wasn't quite to scratch with his Slender Man mythos tried to make a reference.

34. anikin Tuesday 29th Oct 2013 at 20:07

faceless men could have something to do with the souvenir think about it look at the souvenir and you know!!!

35. edwardpm Wednesday 30th Oct 2013 at 16:37

Something else to add about the train station, there's another note on the bench of the train station in Couriway Town, and it's from Sycamore, probably during his youth.
    "What are you link now? Did you become who you wanted to be? For starters, what was the person you wanted to become even like? I don't know, but it would be wonderful if you can boast that you're living each day to its fullest. To future Sycamore. From the Sycamore dreaming of the future."

36. Dominic87 Thursday 31st Oct 2013 at 20:17

1: I suspect they'll make a Pokemon game for Wii U in an attempt to save their flopped console. The game would have cross-platform support and lots of other wacky ideas that Game Freak will invent.

2: I'm hoping there's a Mega Pikachu. Why? Because Ash has suffered long enough trying to do something with his un-evolved and under-powered pikachu. That and he's still only 10 years old... Please let him win at least one Poke-league, this story has been drained to the bone and has failed to take any new directions since the cartoon's creation.

3: It's extremely irritating when the game makers fail to explain mechanics like these.

4: You didn't mention that in that station, there's a second set of tracks sitting there for seemingly no reason...

37. Aaron Rose Friday 1st Nov 2013 at 01:12

Hey guys I found another mystery perhaps... Click on the left portion of the right bench bench in the Couriway Town train station (which is also a mystery) and you will find a note from Prof. Sycamore's past self.

38. Nopsi Saturday 2nd Nov 2013 at 09:44

To me it's possible that there might be new Pokémon or a new region within Generation VI (considering that Game Freak has broken the "rules" before, such as introducing a Pokémon that's available trough breeding a legendary Pokémon, having a non-starter Pokémon at the beginning of a regional Pokédex, and secondary paired versions). For example Carbink is very similar to the recently discovered Pokémon Diancie. It may be an evolution that's not possible to get in X and Y and thus doesn't appear in the any of the Kalos Pokédexes. But Diancie appears to be a legendary Pokémon, so... :|

39. Sugu Dankoc Sunday 3rd Nov 2013 at 04:19

New region
    ...
    Naranja Islands?

40. ashlayy Sunday 3rd Nov 2013 at 20:17

Another thing that goes with the new region or access to another region theory is that when you get the National Pokedex evaluated by Professor Sycamore on the computer he says "All of these Pokemon have been caught in the Kalos region!", implying maybe that you can catch some Pokemon somewhere else.

41. WIlmo Monday 4th Nov 2013 at 00:43

I can't remember where I saw them now, but somewhere there was an elderly couple sitting in a room, and the man tells you about anniversaries and how the 40th is Ruby, and the 45th is Sapphire. Don't see why else they would include this other than as a hint at the upcoming remakes.

42. theycallmejack Monday 4th Nov 2013 at 12:22

I have ONLY JUST noticed the Rhyhorn Race Track on Route 22! Nintendo needs to put out some DLC to make this a playable mini-game! PLEASE!

43. marioyoshi9 Thursday 7th Nov 2013 at 00:35

I hope the region he is taliing about is Almia. I loved Pokemon Ranger...all of them.NINTENDO,ALMIA.STORY: 20 years after the last pokemon ranger and you can play ranger style OR normal style and new pokemon come alongside with mutations and crossbreeds.NINTENDO,POKEMON RAINBOW(custom name i made :P),MAKE IT HAPPEN :D :D :D :D

44. Clarke Baldwin Thursday 7th Nov 2013 at 13:59

The first myth, the souvenir looks very much like an Easter Island Head. The NPC mentions very clearly that it isn't one of any region that has existed in the series.

To me this seems like a common RPG joke, saying that the NPC has actually somehow visited our world, and ended up on Easter Island. The souvenir he picked up are commonly sold there. I think this is just a nod to us, breaking the 4th wall.

45. Bryan Soto Monday 11th Nov 2013 at 16:45

You guys forgot about two mysteries which are the note in lumiose press that says "i'll be away to pursue the Mythical Pokemon First, i'll go deep into the mountains". And the other is the pattern in Parfum Palace garden if you notice every square in the garden seems to resemble a Pokemon except the one in the top left corner that people think could be either Entei or Bronzor if you look closely the one on the top right corner looks like Solrock the one in the bottom right corner is looks like a male Pyroar and the one on the bottom left looks like a Chandelure so this concludes all of the unmentioned mysteries i have found in Pokemon Y

46. Bryan Soto Monday 11th Nov 2013 at 17:09

The top left corner of Parfum Palace's garden is a Bastiodon i finally figured it out it is a Bastiodon!! i wonder what would happen if you brought either a Solrock a male Pyroar a Chandelure and a Bastiodon or bring all of those and Zekrom and Reshiram maybe it has something to do with the strange souvenir

47. RyanCraddock Tuesday 12th Nov 2013 at 13:48

Very interesting article. I really hope that the whole idea of only having half of the generation VI Pokemon released so far is true. The drop in number of new Pokemon is the only downside of X and Y I have experienced so far.

I hope that if that is the case and more Pokemon will be revealed through DLC you don't have to pay for it though. Seems a bit unfair to charge you for DLC that is needed if you want to 'catch 'em all'.

48. besar2 Sunday 24th Nov 2013 at 16:50

What the heck is the Orre region?

49. besar2 Sunday 24th Nov 2013 at 16:53

The pokemon in the mountains is probably either the legendary that you got or the one in the opposite game. (Yveltal or Xerneas)

50. ButterGod Friday 29th Nov 2013 at 02:24

The hiker in the fossil place where you can revive fossils asks about Genesect. I wonder if there will be an event or even be able to catch him.

51. Natalya39 Thursday 19th Dec 2013 at 05:21

I have also seen this, but one area is unmentioned in that list... THE ORANGE ISLANDS. I have been waiting since the TV series for it came out for nintendo to make a game for it. As we all know, IT NEVER HAPPENED. With the technology they now have, they could pull off the odd gym challenges like the ice sled carving and racing, the can shooting, and the water races (etc.). So, what I think when I see this is that there will possibly be a game for the Orange Islands coming out (FINALLY),

52. joker_palomo1 Monday 23rd Dec 2013 at 08:55

I'm sure these are all clear hints that tell us there's much more to come, even yet before a 3rd game or the next generation. I honestly think that there are many more Mega Evolutions to be revealed -maybe all of the other starters, at least I demand a Mega Feraligatr :twisted: - and also many more Pokémon, like those whose names appear in the lists at the GTS (I don't remember their names but we all know what I'm talking about 8) .
    I would HATE to see a remake of the 3rd Generation :evil: , that would just be pointless in my opinion... nice article by the way.

53. Mew3 Sunday 29th Dec 2013 at 17:02

Pitchforks everyone!

54. pakoinus Wednesday 1st Jan 2014 at 00:24

sincerelly from the very first within the release of x y, and being warned about the low number of pokemon, my first tought was more DLC, or maybe the complementary sencond versions of these games would be a second part just like B/W2, but these second part would be much like johto linked with kanto. if you look closer a part of the map, in the mountains, it seems to be a wall between kalos and another not-yet mentiones region, maybe a 2 years later story for the return of team flare, neo-flare or so....just my opinion though

55. Vine Ogata Thursday 9th Jan 2014 at 07:34

Considering the fact that updates can be downloaded from the Nintendo eShop, like Version 1.2, I wouldn't be surprised if they put updates including new regions, pokémons, items and so on. As many may already know, a hacker discovered three new legendary pokémon, yet to be officially announced by Nintendo. So, imagine they're treating Pokémon X and Y (and a potential Z in near future) as an "online game", where there is some new updates in a periodic basis, that would explain a lot of this yet to be uncovered mysteries. I'd also love this game even more.

Another thing that caught my attention is our hero/heroine mother. She's claimed to be the best Rhyhorn racer of wherever she's from (which is not from Kalos, so put another point to a new region being introduced). But, as far as I can remember, we just ride a Rhyhorn once, and also ride a Mamoswine. But for a too short period of time. I guess they will make an update regarding this, maybe? Not that it'll make a great difference in gameplay or whatever, but it could be another minigame where you can get somewhat rare itens, like the evolutions stones from Super Training. Just a theory though.

56. soopahgamer Thursday 9th Jan 2014 at 12:20

Well pokemon X and Y has just made it too easy to play the games and to actually defeat the champion but the new pokemon are cool with hawlucha (the mexican bird) and Aegislash the shield and sword pokemon which are awesome but I doubt there's going to be a new region I mean it just came out with kalos and they cant risk it just yet they do like a x and y 2 and explain the story then and there instead :mrgreen:

57. CraigEmberson Monday 13th Jan 2014 at 14:30

Rumours are that it's a Pokemon Tournament game but in a different vein to PC/XDGoD. From what the image gave away, as well as the trademark - It looks like it might have NFC, making use of the Card Game's Energy to power up the Pokemon and using Mega Evolution. Who knows...

58. CraigEmberson Monday 13th Jan 2014 at 14:32

You're probably right because I used to tip loads and found a shiny Poliwhirl after a chain of 2 while fishing. I have a Poliwrath, so not sure if I want to evolve it into shiny Poliwrath and trade the other. Stones cost a bomb in the game :S

59. CraigEmberson Monday 13th Jan 2014 at 14:39

Why don't they open it up so that there's an extra region, based on the UK. The UK alone isn't big enough to make a region out of, so make it an add-on to X & Y, especially as we share some similar architecture in places to France and have Stonehenge, supposedly built by the same people in ancient times as the Carnac Stones.

60. Mudawott007 Sunday 19th Jan 2014 at 10:23

blaziken is a the third evoltioun of torchic from the hoen region

61. Bth208 Saturday 25th Jan 2014 at 08:28

Well the thing about that is the fact about in d/p there were hidden doors in caves holding the three regi's.so honestly I thing if you get a certain item like a key or something like that from an event or something it'll probably open up a secret door. Hey I'm just a kid and that's my honest opinion.

62. goomba king Sunday 26th Jan 2014 at 14:53

I would really like to have a dlc sinnoh region remake.

63. triforceblader Friday 7th Feb 2014 at 03:04

I think that they could be doing what they did in Soulsilver and Heartgold where they connected Kanto and Jhoto. At first glance the statue looked like a krookodile but as I looked at it further it looked skull like and perhaps a ghost type legendary. Maybe even the pokemon who holds the mystery to the fabled spirit world we hear of in the Anime constantly :wink:

64. HelloPeople999 Sunday 2nd Mar 2014 at 22:06

I found out about the ghost girl if you bring a rotom there on a Tuesday you will get rare candy. at least that's what I heard. :lol:

65. dev2k Sunday 16th Mar 2014 at 02:18

I havent beat the game yet but in Lumiouse (I forget how to spell it) there is a guy in Bleu Plaza that says "I thought we weren't supposed to meet in Vert Plaza but in Bleu Plaza" does that have to do with the train station one perhaps

66. ShadowDarkrai Thursday 20th Mar 2014 at 05:38

Some people say that instead of the Orange Island Archipelago, they made the Sevii Islands in FireRed and LeafGreen. You have a good point though, I would like to see a five-badge region...

67. Cheeziecatz Tuesday 1st Apr 2014 at 18:16

I don't know if anyone else has seen this but when I rented a room at the hotel with the creepy elevator girl, the following morning a message appeared saying something like: "you and xerneas are looking close! You found a ghost wallpaper!"
    Just thought that was a bit odd, considering that weird, creepy girl is also in that hotel.

68. Elaine McMillan Monday 7th Apr 2014 at 10:45

it would be nice if there were another region in a region, it'd be a new pokémon adventure for everyone!