Ken Sugimori got 'artist's block' during Pokemon X and Y development

Pokemon artist found it difficult to create Xerneas and Yveltal

Pokemon designer Ken Sugimori has admitted that he struggled to create Xerneas and Yveltal, the two main legendary Pokemon in Pokemon X and Y.

Speaking with Japanese magazine Famitsu, Sugimori said that he had to work with another artist at Game Freak to complete the designs of the Pokemon who adorn the front covers of Pokemon X and Pokemon Y.

"I was tasked with designing both of those [Xerneas and Yveltal], and I ran into a total wall in the process," Sugimoro admitted. "So I gave the task over to [fellow art designer Yusuke] Ohmura for a while, and once he made some headway on it, I took it back over to finish it off. So they were a team effort. I've designed a lot of the legendary Pokemon over the years, but for whatever reason, it was really hard to come up with the concepts this time around. This was the first time I had to field someone else to get me out of my artist's block, so in that respect, those are definitely the two Pokemon that stick out the most in my mind for this project."

Sugimori added that the flagship Fairy Pokemon Sylveon had also been designed by another Game Freak artist. "Sylveon was by [designer] Atsuko Nishida," Sugimori added. "Generally speaking, with the straight-on cute Pokemon like that, you can leave those to Nishida and you'll never go wrong that way. What you see in the game is pretty much exactly what she submitted to me; I gave it the OK immediately. I think Nishida definitely has a thing for Eevee in general, so this is a design that's already gone through several iterations in her mind, I'm sure!"

What do you think of the new Pokemon in Pokemon X and Y?

Comments

1. CyberGW Thursday 24th Oct 2013 at 11:39

I think the artists and composers do amazingly. The amount of inspiration they must have to create countless of brilliant tracks and Pokémon is just something way beyond me.
    Great work guys!

2. Scraggy man Thursday 24th Oct 2013 at 15:18

While i do think that X and Y had one some of the strongest entries to the Pokedex I just wish for more than what we got.
    I guess asking for more though could damage the quality of the great ones.

3. Pyron12 Thursday 24th Oct 2013 at 15:23

That's interesting, good thing they turned out awesome in the end. Keep it up Sugimori!

4. TheVelvetRoom Thursday 24th Oct 2013 at 15:38

I'm curious to see what their design process was for the Mega evolutions; particularly for Pokemon with 2 of them.

5. Luke Ario Thursday 24th Oct 2013 at 16:30

I think that the legendries (what little of them there are) are great. Some Pokémon (Pangoro, Pyroar and, my favourite, Goodra) have excellent design, while others (cough, Swirlix, cough) are not so good. But that's just Pokémon, and even the bad ones have character.

And on the plus side, no Pokémon will ever be as bad as Bibarrel.

6. Toastie Friday 25th Oct 2013 at 16:23

And on the plus side, no Pokémon will ever be as bad as Bibarrel.

Binacle somehow finds a way.

7. E123-Fawful Friday 25th Oct 2013 at 16:46

It evolves into Barbarnacle.

8. IRNBRU64 Friday 25th Oct 2013 at 21:35

It evolves into Barbarnacle.

What does!!! Yvetal?