Nintendo preparing games for "highly skilled users" in 2014

Satoru Iwata spells out Wii U's future in the next-gen

As part of Nintendo's second quarter financial reports, the company's provided the transcript of a Q&A with those at the presentation. While all of it is highly informative - and you can read it here - most of it would act as a dangerous, textual sedative to the majority of us, although some snippets caught the eye.

One question centred on how Nintendo plan to market the Wii U as Playstation 4 and Xbox One take their bows, and Nintendo President Satoru Iwata responded with an interesting little tidbit about how the company see their games now - and how they see them in 2014:

"We have an offering of software for the end of this calendar year that encourages family fun at home. Nintendo is preparing a number of Wii U games for next year that greatly appeal to highly skilled users, but at the end of this calendar year, we have quite a few offerings that can be played by the whole family, dad and the kids, or grandparents and the kids."

With Wii Party U, Wii Sports Club and Wii Fit U all on their way, it's clear what this year's family-friendly slate is made up of, but 2014's still a little hazy. Donkey Kong": Tropical Freeze and Bayonetta 2 certainly fit the "highly skilled" bill, but the promise of more has us very interested.

Similarly interesting - and also a bit lovely - was what Iwata had to say about the company's position in the industry, particularly in regard to the recent death of former President Hiroshi Yamauchi:

"Since former President Yamauchi passed away, I have been considering what he taught us in the end, and his words that the worst thing we can do in entertainment is to follow what others are doing spoke directly to my heart. Following and imitating others is the kind of reasoning that Nintendo tries to avoid the most".

Hear, hear!

Comments

1. ODNETNIN Wednesday 6th Nov 2013 at 11:40

I'm assuming he includes Super Smash Bros. in his games for "highly skilled" users.

I can't wait. I want Iwata to give me another NintendoDirect to get excited about.

Hoping this means we're getting X next year too. Hopefully... Spring? plziwata.

2. retrogeezer Wednesday 6th Nov 2013 at 11:48

I really hope Nintendo pull the stops out for the skilled gamer. However I would like to see some of the 3rd party games like Grand Theft Auto made for the the Wii U. Nintendo can no longer say that they are a family related company when you have games like C.O.D. published and Zombie U. I personally have no interest in GTA, Imagine that game on the Wii U with the map of the city on the game pad and using the GP to it's full advantage it would stop families buying two consoles to please their kids and the bigger point that would be made is that if a company like Rockstar can develop/publisher a game for the Wii U in spectacular style then other 3rd party developers would sit up and take notice.

The we will have more highly skilled games developed for the Wii U by other companys.

3. Abe hikura Wednesday 6th Nov 2013 at 12:59

there'd be a lot of fun to be had with GTA on Wii U, even if it was just GTA online, i would like a good online game to play with friends in a slightly more hang out setting rather than typical VS.

a few of my friends are watching wii u next year and hoping to see more games. "at this point i'm more interested in the wii u than the others but its future is too cloudly for me to jump on board just yet" is something i hear alot from friends. Zelda WWHD has forced a few of them to pick it up.

they need to come out swinging next year, no delays on their big titles, smaller releases and beefed up virtual console (gamecube and dreamcast would be nice) and some best of last gen games as downloads/ disc release could be great.
    Arkham aslyham, bayonetta 1 and other games we got sequals to but also like Deus Ex the like (i'd also kill for a port Dishonored even a lazy one with offscreen and map on the gamepad would help)

4. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 6th Nov 2013 at 13:50

Hopefully there'll be more interesting titles from Nintendo,as it seems like third parties are giving up hope for Wii U.

5. Abe hikura Wednesday 6th Nov 2013 at 14:24

Soul caliber 2 HD is needed and other multiformat digital releases

the delays are the biggest issue for me at the moment. i convinced some of my multiformat friends to pick up arkham origins for wii U dispite all of us having the rest of the series on 360 and look at that the EU release of the Wii U version (and 3DS spinoff) was delayed till the 8th of November.

they blame low sales but what do they expect when they cut content and delay launches

6. IRNBRU64 Wednesday 6th Nov 2013 at 15:52

The heart says a new Galaxy, the head says another AMAZING classic HD remake, the big toe says new Zelda.

Wait, why the hell is my big toe telling me this?

7. BulletPhil Wednesday 6th Nov 2013 at 16:07

Wait, why the hell is my big toe telling me this?

Its because it knows its only going to be playable with the balance board :P

8. Riverlution Wednesday 6th Nov 2013 at 16:12

Bring in the new metroid, star fox, Pokemon Colosseum and f-zero. Please come up with atleast one decent new IP too!

9. SupaWaluigi Wednesday 6th Nov 2013 at 18:05

For me, I would like to see Nintendo make a new, mature IP. That way, it takes out two things NintenHaters usually complain about. Plus it might be really interesting and unique. :twisted:

10. E123-Fawful Wednesday 6th Nov 2013 at 18:20

To be honest though we have had new ips over the past few years like Dillon and Pushmo. But a few would do good.
    I don't know about mature games other than Metroid and Zelda to an extent. It would probably lack the Nintendo Charm their games usually have but might work.

11. SupaWaluigi Wednesday 6th Nov 2013 at 18:36

I guess you're right. But maybe something in the style of Metroid. Looking back on Nintendo's previous games though, there has usually been some sort of creepy or mature aspect to some games, for example, in Pikmin 2, there's a journal entry for Bulbmin, where some form of pikmin has been eaten by a bulborb, yet it's stalk pushes through the top of the bulborb and it takes control of it. That sort of thing is a mature idea, you just have to look underneath the surface of the game's aesthetics to find it, which is what really annoys me about NintenHaters (NintenHaters is just my word for "Trolls" and Sony and Microsoft fanatics). Sorry for the small essay, by the way :mrgreen:

12. Xenobladeperson Wednesday 6th Nov 2013 at 18:48

Just hurry up and release Prime 4.

13. E123-Fawful Wednesday 6th Nov 2013 at 19:32

I love those scary things hidden in Nintendo games which is why I would rather they didn't make a horror game. Have a "kids" game (as the haters say) and fill it with things worthy of creepy pastas. A good example is the Pokedex entries in Pokemon.
    The strange house is another if you go deep enough into it. This guy does. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMhoalUZej4
    Go to about 15:45 for the start of the Pokemon bit.

I'm having a good laugh at the failures of Ghosts. Reluctant to say Day 1 fails. Shouldn't have been big headed and said "We'll get GTA V's records back! No Sweat!" Copied a scene from MW2. Some friends of mine who play on PC say the textures are dreadful.

14. DaleBiederbeck Wednesday 6th Nov 2013 at 21:12

Hoping this means we're getting X next year too. Hopefully... Spring? plziwata.

With how little info there is on the game, don't expect Spring to be the release window. 2014, yeah. Spring, no.

Anyway...when is the next Nintendo Direct?!

15. DaleBiederbeck Wednesday 6th Nov 2013 at 21:16

Kirby 64 included a planet called "Shiver Star" which is supposed to be a post-apocalyptic Earth. It has factories everywhere, factories which make weapons of mass destruction. And there are no humans left, just robots.

Y'know, kid stuff!

16. Imperfect_Dark Wednesday 6th Nov 2013 at 22:31

Just hurry up and release Prime 4.

This + F-Zero with online multiplayer, thanks.

17. robbiebob2 Thursday 7th Nov 2013 at 11:09

Games for highly skilled users for nintendo gamers are metroid fire Eleblem Galaxy and Zelda. So I think it two of I have mentioned the most likely are metroid and zelda

18. Komodo_Wolfgang Thursday 7th Nov 2013 at 15:55

Want to know how "prepare for highly skilled users" Nintendo? Make them aware how your console is just as good as other consoles on the market.

However, the problem is; Nintendo rely on fans.
    "This video makes a fair point at 2:20 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LHuyh5nxtY " - me on another forum post on here.
    Heres the part in particular Im focusing on;

Nintendo you have stiff competition now, its not like it was back in '89 - '90. When Sega only really gave you your run for your money with the Genesis and you still out performed them. Its much different now. Your audience has matured too, theyre not just looking to play 'Super Mario 47", theyre looking for other experiences ontop of what you have to offer.

And I think he's not far off the truth. Nintendo need to keep their already fans interested instead of just living on nostalgia. Create more maturer franchises or bring some of the older ones back. Why not (as many have said) bring back F-Zero. You could make the Metroid games more mature in context.

"the worst thing we can do in entertainment is to follow what others are doing" I think by this he means "dont do ports of other main games just because theyre doing well." Which is unfortunate. Because personally there are some 3rd party games I DO think should be available on all consoles, such as GTA. Nintendo have done Rockstar games before. They even had ChinaTown wars on the DS which was a really good game. As people have said, the most recent version would work really well on the Wii U. As would some games like Battlefield (I know CoD is out now, but I, and probably a fair amount of others, would prefer a wider selection of FPS games.). I myself arent too keen on FPSs but I did enjoy BF3 when I gave it a try on the 360. However it was a short game and thrived online. Something I dont want to get on my 360.

Which brings me to my next point. Online is a must these days. Not just "share how you're doing with other players", but actually playing these 'maturer' types of games with other people. Because I dont want to take my 360 online I cant play a fair chunk of most games such as Battlefield. I have the 'orange box' for it, which as many will know has a selection of highly rated games. One of these games, Team Fortress, is unplayable, unless you have online. This game seems to me like a cartoony FPS, which would, again, work well on the Wii U. TF3 Wii U anyone?

A new 'maturer' Metroid game with online on the Wii U would be great imo. Think of it like Hunters, with different Bounty Hunters with different abilities. Or maybe an online co-op with them all having to work together.

Just a few thoughts of mine on the matter.

19. MujuraNoKamen Thursday 7th Nov 2013 at 22:41

Sounds interesting, can't wait to hear more on X, SSB4, SMT/FE, Bayo 2 etc - which I'm sure he was referring to.
    Without wanting to be negative (again) it seems like Nintendo is putting the casuals before loyal gamers. Naturally things like Wii Party U and Wii Sports club are going to be popular so Nintendo will try and get them as much as attention as possible but it seems like they're taking all the spotlight away from the hardcore games. If games like CoD, Deus Ex, and Mario 3D World are advertised for Wii U as well as the party games then I'll be quite happy but if they're neglected then I fear for the success of the games for the "highly skilled" as the Grandmothers and youngsters won't be able to "get" them. I'm 100% for Nintendo catering to families but it shouldn't come at the expense of everyone else.