eShop games of the week: Link to the Past, RUSH, GUILD series sale

This week's Wii U and 3DS downloads

After all this futuristic entertainment we've been getting recently, eShop's taking this week to look back, with classics from Nintendo, Two Tribes and Sega all popping up. Take your mind off of the fact that Christmas is coming and you have no money by, er, revelling in the past and spending some.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Wii U Virtual Console: Nintendo, £5.49) might be old, but with its baby winning hearts and heart containers across the world, it's shown modern-day adventuring whippersnappers a thing or two. Plus, Link looks all stumpy. Cute!

RUSH (Wii U: Two Tribes, £1.79 (launch price)) is Two Tribes' third classic release after Toki Tori and EDGE, and their second featuring coloured cubes as lead characters - this time navigating abstract 3D puzzle worlds. If I was a game designer, I'd slap some googly eyes on the things.

Wii Party U (Wii U: Nintendo, £34.99) is entirely adequate.

3D Ecco the Dolphin (3DS: Sega, £4.09) is a game that literally never features your character desperately trying to free itself from a net and looking very sad. Unrealistic.

3D Galaxy Force 2 (3DS: Sega, £4.49) is a faux-3D shooter where you paint targets before shooting loads at once, which, for some reason, is a system that immediately makes me like any game more.

Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON'T KNOW! (Wii U/3DS: Namco Bandai, £36.99/£28.49) takes the happy-go-lucky, endlessly fascinating world of weird cartoon du jour Adventure Time and makes it really boring. By Glob.

Wii Fit U Quick Check (Wii U: Nintendo, Free) allows you to transfer data from a Fit Meter to your Wii Fit U save game without having to get up to put the disc into the Wii U. Which seems counter-intuitive to me.

Cocoto Alien Brick Breaker (3DS: Big Ben Interactive, £17.99) attempts to totally reinvent the brick breaker genre by being a brick breaking game.

Girl's Fashion Shoot (3DS: Sega, £29.99) is not about a terrorist attack on Paris Fashion Week.

Also worth noting is that Level-5's often brilliant GUILD series is on sale until 2nd January - Attack of the Friday Monsters, Crimson Shroud and Liberation Maiden are all well worth grabing at £4.49. The Starship Damrey and Bugs vs. Tanks are probably not. Aero Porter is not on sale, presumably because it gave too many people stress-related aneurysms.

Comments

1. Sidekick Monday 9th Dec 2013 at 10:47

Link to the past, best news I've had all week... And its only Monday.. :D

2. jennytablina Monday 9th Dec 2013 at 10:53

The Wii Fit Quick Check seems a bit redundant when you can still opt to download the full game and unlock it with a fit meter anyway? I guess if you're determined to have a physical release version...

3. BulletPhil Monday 9th Dec 2013 at 10:58

Well, i'm not surprised at Link to the Past at all. Wise move Nintendo, wise move.

4. bigterence Monday 9th Dec 2013 at 11:17

Waiting for delivery of WiiPartyU ,which includes wiimote in the price ,so no digital download on that one for me.

5. Lazara the Last Monday 9th Dec 2013 at 11:20

Picking up aLttP today, been a few years since I've played it, and after playing and completing it's sequel, it seams like a smart thing to do!

6. Phirst Monday 9th Dec 2013 at 11:27

Wii Party U Ł34.99!! a Ł5 discount yet your not getting a Wii Remote Plus and the little plastic WiiPad levelling thingy.

Should have been Ł20

I have been waiting for the digital download as I already have 4 motion plus Wii Remotes. Hopefully they will reduce the price in the new year.

Fingers crossed they release the new Wii sports golf before Christmas or its going to be a long holiday of bowling

7. lrwr14 Monday 9th Dec 2013 at 11:55

Why can't A Link to the Past be on the 3DS :(.

8. Pwinkiie Monday 9th Dec 2013 at 12:12

I don't see aLTTP on the eShop :o Is this what is being released on the eShop this Thursday when they next update the eShop? (Sorry I don't usually follow these, but I HAVE BEEN WAITING AGES FOR THIS!! :D!)

9. martynm Monday 9th Dec 2013 at 12:27

YES! Firday Monsters for sale at under a fiver. No more figuring out how to buy that AND Steamworld Dig with a Ł15 Eshop card from my old man at Christmas. Nintendo and Level 5, you are awesome :)

10. lrwr14 Monday 9th Dec 2013 at 12:45

Yes it's for Thursday, that's when the Eshop gets updated.

11. socheeky Monday 9th Dec 2013 at 14:04

Hey ONM staff guys!

Is there an official word from Nintendo about why we don't have access to games from the last 5 generations (think I counted right) on the 3DS e shop? If they released non 3D version of SNES or N64 games they would outsell the Wii equivalents by 10:1.

The current drip feed of mostly mediocre Game Gear, Master System and NES games shows a staggering disregard for what modern Nintendo gamers actually want to play. There, I said it.

12. tahkshi Monday 9th Dec 2013 at 15:33

No LttP on 3DS? :(

13. CyberGW Monday 9th Dec 2013 at 15:47

May download A Link to the Past. Won't be able to complete it in time for A Link Between Words, but it's still a game I feel I very much ought to play.

14. Dawid Lubkowski Monday 9th Dec 2013 at 17:14

IGN AND ONM ARE ALWAYS SOOOOOO LATE !!!!!!!!!!!! MIIVERSE IS COMING TO 3DS TODAY TODAY TODAYU TODAY!!!!!!

15. wilfrefanguy Monday 9th Dec 2013 at 17:23

OMI GOSH! LINK TO THE PAST! MUST BUY MUST BUY! (After Wind waker) MUST BUY!

16. Dawid Lubkowski Monday 9th Dec 2013 at 19:28

well...actually 1 am Tuesday for Britain. :( and this night in America darn it!

17. Tavex Monday 9th Dec 2013 at 21:16

Wow this is a great week for the eShop! Think I will get Link to the Past, RUSH, Attack of the Friday Monsters and Crimson Shroud. Brilliant.

18. nintyfandavid Monday 9th Dec 2013 at 22:32

just wondering if I should wait for ALTTP to be on 3DS eshop

19. myosan8bit Monday 9th Dec 2013 at 23:27

Hi first question...when is the next issue of your magazine out?
    And second..do we get Zelda at reduced price if we've already bought a copy on Wii?

20. flattopboy Tuesday 10th Dec 2013 at 18:16

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past release date ?

21. Deepsouth Tuesday 10th Dec 2013 at 21:16

Europe gets all the good releases! Megaman X2 and now a link to the past? What up Nintendo, you hate the U.S. or something? We get just the leftovers! :evil:

22. socheeky Wednesday 11th Dec 2013 at 11:52

Hey ONM staff guys!

Does anybody else care but me? :(

23. Phirst Wednesday 11th Dec 2013 at 12:16

I don't think anyone knows.

24. That Guy Ganon Saturday 14th Dec 2013 at 21:01

Gutted A Link to the Past isn't on the 3DS eShop....