Rainbow Road Stage Confirmed For Super Smash Bros. 3DS!

Masahiro Sakurai reveals Mario Kart 7-related cruise-style stage

This morning Nintendo revealed a brand new stage for Super Smash Bros. 3DS in the form of Mario Kart 7's Rainbow Road.

Initially teased in last week's Nintendo Direct Smash Bros. Trailer, the stage is now officially confirmed via a 3DS screenshot.

In today's Miiverse post, game director Masahiro Sakurai stated: "Here's a new 3DS stage--Rainbow Road! It can't be explained in one picture, but it's going to be a cruise-type stage."

Presumably the cruise-type stage description references the fact that players will battle on a stage that cruises around the Rainbow Road.

The screenshot itself reveals more about Rosalina and Luma, as Luma uses a Star Cannon to blast Rosalina away from an incoming Samus missile attack.

This particular Rainbow Road is for the 3DS version, presumably based on Mario Kart 7 but it seems extremely likely that the Wii U version will also gets its own Rainbow Road, taken from Mario Kart Wii or Mario Kart 8.

Comments

1. gamebox2d Tuesday 24th Dec 2013 at 11:25

As a 3DS gamer I'm quite looking forward to Smash Bros. But that art style... I'm not sure. Maybe it'll look better in motion?

2. Dawid Lubkowski Tuesday 24th Dec 2013 at 13:07

well actually I prefer this art style. only improvement would be to be also hd but maybe next gen. I also prefer overall the stages on the 3ds version. :D yes, it does look much better in motion!!! check out the smash bros developer direct :)
    :D

3. Pokemon Luke Tuesday 24th Dec 2013 at 13:15

So this will be like the kirby stage in brawl, where you fly around i presume...

4. koopa_kicker Tuesday 24th Dec 2013 at 16:02

Maybe it will be similar to the previous F-Zero stages with cars hitting people in the way. Also I wonder if on the WiiU version, there'd be a section where road is above you and the cars travel overhead upside down.

5. SamManSam Tuesday 24th Dec 2013 at 17:45

I doubt there will be a Wii U Rainbow Road, as it would have very obvious similarities to the existing Super Mario Galaxy stage. If there were any Mario Kart stage in the Wii U version, I think it would be an updated Mario Circuit, to add a bit more variety. Or maybe even a Bowser's Castle. Or a Bowser's Castle stage in general, not specifically based on Mario Kart. That could be very interesting. Maybe Dry Bowser could appear as a stage hazard. And Thwomps.

6. TheVelvetRoom Tuesday 24th Dec 2013 at 18:12

Not too fond of cruise stages to be honest. They just distract from the action I find, unless they're Final Destination since it's just abstract backgrounds that looks amazing.

7. IRNBRU64 Tuesday 24th Dec 2013 at 22:20

Presumeably tomorrow's might be this on Wii u or something Christmassy like adding Santa to the character roster. That'll be my first one I've ever viewed on Miiverse, as I'm getting a Wii U tomorrow!!!

8. Version10 Thursday 26th Dec 2013 at 17:34

So does this mean we get to fight on the moon then? My excitement for this game has just jumped dramatically!

9. Fubz Saturday 28th Dec 2013 at 16:24

Why is there a big moon in the background?