Alex Jones vs. The Internet - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Our blogger collected YouTube comments so you don't have to

Ah, The Internet - arguably the pinnacle of human communications, a medium for free speech and open debate. Comments sections across games media reflect this, often sparking intellectually stimulating argu- whoa, wait, what did that guy just say about my mum?

Needless to say, the web isn't always as well-intentioned as you might hope. In a (perhaps misguided) attempt to prove that point, I've trawled the YouTube comments sections squatting beneath videos of a game that's had more than its fair share of not-so-reasoned debate - Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

Retro's sequel to their brilliant Wii reinvention has managed to attract its fair share of ire as it approaches release. So, let's see what YouTube's famously cheery community have to say for themselves - these are all real comments, typos and all - and what I have to say for them.

"Don't Care want Metroid"

This one's been doing the virtual rounds ever since the game was announced at last year's E3. It's a fair enough opinion, but its perpetuity is what irritates most. We know you wanted Metroid, so did a lot of people, but you're getting Donkey Kong, and it'll most probably be awesome. Dismissing a game because it's from the developer of a series you love is mad. This is the game Retro wanted to make, and a developer's enthusiasm is sure to pervade into the game itself. Plus, they're a big studio - with Tropical Freeze just around the corner, who knows? They might just have a second project on the go...

"I won't buy any other Donkey Kong game that doesn't have Kremlings in it, period."

Really? You want the same villains to be regurgitated in every iteration? Moreover, a series of mediocre reptilian villains from the '90s is more important to you than gameplay? In that case, get yourself to Google Images and stare at K. Rool and co. for a few hours. It won't play well, but there are Kremlings, so fill your boots. The new Snomad enemies are hardly characterless, and they facilitate the new story (having booted clan DK from their home and glaciated it into an island popsicle). They're infinitely better than the Tiki masks from the Wii version, and show a design variety the Kremlings can't match. Don't get *ahem* Sno-mad about change.

Previous 1 2 Next page

Comments

1. DstryrEU Thursday 23rd Jan 2014 at 17:15

When in doubt listen to some of the OST released on the official JP website today;

2. DarkBladeXIII Thursday 23rd Jan 2014 at 17:19

As much as i hate to admit it, the internet is neither peer reviewed or regulated by qualifications. This is the best and worst thing about the internet. Though some people can create amazing stuff they wouldnt be able to do without the internet, there are a lot of people who just seem to be there for destructive criticism, no facts or background knowledge on the subject to build an argument. As illustrated by that last comment it seems that society's view on a particular console influences the non core rather negatively. sorry... rant over... interesting article that shows the worse side of the internet, good job keep it up :)

3. Justin Bailey Thursday 23rd Jan 2014 at 17:34

These comments hurt my head.

4. Benjy3DU Thursday 23rd Jan 2014 at 17:40

I weep for humanity whenever I read a troll's dumb statements...

5. E123-Fawful Thursday 23rd Jan 2014 at 17:52

The rehash comment has to have come from someone who only plays CoD and FIFA. Would put a fair amount of money on it.

6. SupaWaluigi Thursday 23rd Jan 2014 at 18:25

The world wide gaming community really is an increasingly depressing place on the internet... :(

Which makes it all the more uplifting when I go on Miiverse 8)

7. BulletPhil Thursday 23rd Jan 2014 at 19:34

This must have been a fun article to write :D

8. NintendoForLife Thursday 23rd Jan 2014 at 20:16

I thought this was going to be about the reaction to the Cranky Kong announcement. :(

9. Jarmez Thursday 23rd Jan 2014 at 20:24

But... a Metroid game would have been better... D:

10. Misanthropy Thursday 23rd Jan 2014 at 20:43

Would love to see another Donkey Kong game with King K Rool as the villain
    but know thats not going to happen as Rare created him and thus why he wasn't in Donkey Kong Country returns

11. Jarmez Thursday 23rd Jan 2014 at 20:56

Would love to see another Donkey Kong game with King K Rool as the villain

I'm pretty sure all characters in the Donkey Kong Country games are owned by Nintendo. Diddy Kong, a character created during the days of Rare, has been used numerous times (Donkey Kong Country Returns, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and this new game), and King K. Rool's most recent appearances were in Super Smash Bros. Brawl (as a trophy) and in Super Mario Sluggers (Team Player), both in 2008.

12. Balladeer Thursday 23rd Jan 2014 at 22:05

(is tempted to say something about the Internet being awful in relation to earlier Senran Kagura blogpost)

(decides to leave it at this comment)

And so that I stay on topic, I've always thought that DKCTF looks fun but nothing special. I'd prefer a 3D Donkey Kong, though - we see so few 3D platformers nowadays, and such a glut of 2D ones (and I count Kirby's Triple Deluxe as 2D, despite its best efforts). Although DK64 wasn't all that to my mind, I think that Retro could do a better job.

I'd also prefer another Metroid, but I imagine that's coming at some point after TF.

13. lminett Friday 24th Jan 2014 at 00:13

Im sick of people bashing on gaming in general these days. What happened to just enjoying and looking forward to games you want to play?! I couldn't be happier that there making a new DKC game and that its almost out. What a great series it is.

14. Kriss_B Friday 24th Jan 2014 at 05:02

LOL, you guys should do more of these. It's fun to laugh at idiotic YouTube comments.

Remember the good ol' days, when you had to hook up the ethernet port to the phone in order to get on to the internet? And how much of a hassle it was? I miss those days... Because anyone on the internet at least had to have that minimum level of intelligence to perform such a task in the first place. Now...It's a haven for illiterates and those who suffer from severe mental issues.

One thing that's always annoyed me - why are people so obsessed with bloody Kremlings? They're just generic reptilian enemies! Sure, I can see why people are fond of K-Rool - he's always been a fun character - but to slam Retro and Nintendo for daring to create new enemies smacks of childish petulance and blatant hypocrisy. Critics hate how Nintendo relies on the same characters... Yet, the complain when they don't... Use the same characters?

My head hurts.

To end this on a positive note - Tropical Freeze looks brilliant.

15. Luke Froelich Friday 24th Jan 2014 at 07:26

I pretty much agree. I just wouldn't characterize the Kremlings as mediocre. Donkey Kong Country 2 had fantastic art direction, Kremlings and all.

But yeah, the Snomads, David Wise, swimming, and pro controller support address pretty much my only complaints with the amazing "Returns."

(I guess the only real complaint I have with this game is that animal buddies other than Rambi would have been preferred.)

EDIT: But lets be fair to Returns. If we're talking nostalgic villain cameos I'd be fine with Mugly, the Scurvy Crew, or the Moles / Mole Miner Max.

16. garywood Friday 24th Jan 2014 at 08:02

Your response to the 2D complaint isn't really a good one. A full 3D game IS a lot harder to develop, that's just a simple fact about the nature of development. Or maybe I should say that a 3D game with equal production values to this IS a lot harder to develop. You have to code a 3D game in a way that can handle a much wider range of possibilities occuring (simply because of the added dimension) but most of all it just requires a LOT more artwork. Granted, they could just make a game that isn't as packed with content as these 2D ones, that would be a viable solution.

17. carnivine chaos Friday 24th Jan 2014 at 12:49

am i the only one who wants a fully 3d version of donkey kong???? getting a bit fed up of playing 2d games on my wii u...seems like lazy devs to me...

I think you're missing the point (as do a lot of hardcore Nintendo fans): I'm positive they're referring to the fact it's ANOTHER 2D platformer being churned out by Nintendo, so, lazy devs in terms of stepping outside this box and making something extraordinary like DK64, not that 2D games are easier to make. If they're not referring to this then they're dumb and should be.

2D platformers are great, but Mario's got that covered. Ironically this will most likely be far better than NSMBU could ever hope to achieve. I myself can't wait for this game to drown out the absolute average memories I have of NSMBU. But the main question is, will it use the Gamepad in innovative, constructive and exciting ways? Probably not. Maybe, blow in the mic to blow things. Shocker. The fact there's 4p co-op means it's even more likely the Gamepad's capabilities won't be featured at all, since the other 3 will have to use wiimotes. It's such a shame. Mario 3D World was getting there with that level that required touching blocks and blowing fan-powered platforms, but alas that was only in 2 levels (I think?), but the Gamepad isn't used enough. The whole initial draw of the WiiU was the Gamepad and it's just being left unused most of the time. Nintendo Land is the only real proof that it can be used effectively.

18. Fubz Friday 24th Jan 2014 at 14:27

lol who cares i want metroid

19. martynm Friday 24th Jan 2014 at 15:02

I'd like more articles like this, highlighting the unrealistic expectations of gamers and whiners. A personal pet peeve of mine really. But seriously, It's a Donkey Kong game. While it's not my ideal franchise. i'm glad Retro went for this over Metroid. Retro have shown they can turn their hand to many types of games (first person action, kart racing and now core platforming). Besides, What exactly can they do with Metroid right now? 'Do it, It'll look good in HD'. To me, simply making a game because it'd look great in HD isn't justification for making a new game in that franchise. Same goes for StarFox and F-Zero. What new fresh ideas can be injected into a new game. you wouldn't want to rehash the same game over and over.

Anyway, remember when I briefly mentioned Donkey Kong?

Good Job, Alex!

Edit: Last bit didn't mean to sound patronising :P

20. MartinIsAwesome Friday 24th Jan 2014 at 17:06

You do realise that with those sweeping generalisations you're being just as bad, right?

But... a Metroid game would have been better... D:

There, there, Jarmez. I feel your pain.

21. liveswired Sunday 26th Jan 2014 at 00:28

The internet would be a boring place without trolls. :mrgreen: