Shigeru Miyamoto discusses his Wii U plans

Nintendo aiming for the best single player GamePad experience

As part of its regular financial results rundown, Nintendo has released a transcript of a Q&A between investors and its top executives. Hidden between talk of character licensing, app development and a bit where Iwata makes fun of free-to-play ("or "free-to-start" as we call it"), Shigeru Miyamoto gives a hint of where he wants to focus for his future with Wii U.

As part of his response to a question on the relative lack of first-party games at launch, the legendary director said:

"We are confident that "Nintendo Land" offered compelling as well as Nintendo-like gameplay experiences for, say, four or five people when they gathered in the living room by taking full advantage of the two screens, but some of the single-player experiences were rather weak. It is my conviction that we will need to put more focus on creating experiences that utilize the GamePad that can also be fully enjoyed when playing alone."

That desire to bring the best of Wii U's strengths to a single player game only backs up Satoru Iwata's presentation at the Investor Relations, in which he said that making a game that utilised the GamePad effectively for just one person was "one of the top priorities of Mr. Miyamoto's software development department this year."

You can read the full Q&A here.

Comments

1. gamebox2d Monday 3rd Feb 2014 at 15:07

Seems a little strange to say Wii U needs more single player stuff, when Wii was built on family multiplayer games. I'm not sure Nintendo know what they're doing. All the talk at the minute involves Nintendo's strategy to solve their current problems. What took them so long to realise they have a problem? And if they have a strategy to get back into profit, why didn't they do it years ago?

2. JamieRIOT Monday 3rd Feb 2014 at 15:10

The link to for the full QA at the bottom relinks back to this page.

3. SamManSam Monday 3rd Feb 2014 at 15:12

Yay! Now worthless low-lifes like me who have no friends with any sort of interest or care for the Wii U can totally block them out of their lives and live in solitude knowing that they never have to make any more friends because they know that the experience probably would be about the same, just with less people to take the p**s out of you for buying a Wii U in the first place. Nice one! :mrgreen:

4. OXM Joe Monday 3rd Feb 2014 at 15:12

The link to for the full QA at the bottom relinks back to this page.

Well, that was a strange error. It should be fixed now. Cheers!

5. martynm Monday 3rd Feb 2014 at 15:15

I agree. I mean it's al very well and dandy pushing the family and multiplayer thing in video games nowadays but single player experiences should never really feel brushed aside. Maybe that's one reason as to why Wii U sales aren't up there with 3DS sales. I mean 3DS has plenty of those single player games while also pushing multiplayer abilities (hey, you only need to see StreetPass meet ups to see its working).

So yes, some single player action would help. Granted, Mario Kart 8 and Smash are the two biggest Wii U titles out this year (that we know of) but maybe the announcement of a handful of single player games will help the cause. We already know there's a Zelda in the works and maybe a few more of those games which the one player in mind could help.

Please note the fact I didn't use the words 'in that case, they should do a StarFox/Metroid/F-Zero game then' Those games can easily have multiplayer shoehorned in. Now get over yourself! :P

6. Havak Monday 3rd Feb 2014 at 15:21

Nah, we need more replay value in games that have quality online multiplayer, preferably competitive.

Online multiplayer is where you need to go now. Pokémon and Mario Kart tend to dominate the 3DS sales (surely, 3D Land is a single player game and is right up there in sales, but most of the time it's your multiplayer games that sell). What do most gamers play these days? Call of Duty, Fifa etc online all the time. They often don't give much of a damn about the single player, because playing online with your friends and against random people is what this generation wants and expects.

It's all well and good having the odd top quality single player experience such as Mario, or The Last Of Us etc, but games need to expand and offer good online options. Nintendo aren't doing this enough, especially with Wii U. Mario Kart and Smash Bros will help, but I'd suggest bringing back Metroid with a hunters-like multiplayer option for Wii U, maybe a StarFox spaceship shooter, and F-Zero as an alternative racer. All with online play that will keep people coming back.

Single player experiences are fine, but once you're done with that you're done with it. You need replay value and it has to be online. Do it, or fail.

7. lminett Monday 3rd Feb 2014 at 15:30

Id be cool with this. many games that I enjoy are single player games, or offline multiplayer games.

8. Komodo_Wolfgang Monday 3rd Feb 2014 at 15:41

Actually I think what it needs is better advertising =/

9. martynm Monday 3rd Feb 2014 at 15:46

Actually I think what it needs is better advertising =/

If only Nintendo UK had a new Marketing Manager...preferably one with well-known hair..

10. DarkBladeXIII Monday 3rd Feb 2014 at 16:18

The Wii U was designed with Core Nintendo fans in mind, people who enjoy a game on their own yet can share their stories with their friends. Games like Nintendo Land were meant to show the capabilities of the game-pad which it did rather well, yet sadly no games have really been developed that utilizes the unique abilities of the game pad for single player games. Though family games are nice to have, an overabundance causes a lack in diversity and results in samey games. As for Nintendo's strategy we cannot pretend to know what they're doing, only speculate. If they've taken so long to develop it then it can only be for the better. A rushed strategy tends to be flawed.

11. CraigEmberson Monday 3rd Feb 2014 at 17:16

In all fairness, most of the games have been multiplayer games from Nintendo so far. I hate that nobody wants to play Nintendo Land with me, so I can't play some of the attractions within the game. Things like Mario Kart, where you CAN play on your own and Smash Bros. is good because there aren't limits - you don't have to play with others. We do need a Starfox U, Metroid U and Zelda U.

12. James McNevin Monday 3rd Feb 2014 at 18:01

I'm not sure what my ideas are for Nintendo's current financial situation in terms of the Wii U. I will try and formulate some as I write this comment.

I don't think the problem lies with the games line-up. Most if not all the Wii U's games are AWESOME. Nintendoland, NSMBU, MH3U, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Rayman, Wind Waker HD, Super Mario 3D World are just a taste of what the console has to offer, and that's before getting into the digital crack that is the Virtual Console. And then there's upcoming games like DK, Smash Bros and Mario Kart (and that new Zelda spin-off looks tasty too). Seriously, am I the only one that looks at my Wii U collection and can't make my mind up what I want to play?

I don't think single-player is the way to go, sorry Miyamoto-san. As much as I hate to admit it as I have a passionate hatred of this type of gameplay, but online multiplayer is the way forward (though MH3U's multiplayer is to die for). Perhaps Nintendo could make a new FPS IP, like CoD but not s**te, similar to how Playstation has their Killzone IP. I wouldn't want it to be ultra brown and 'realistic', but instead maybe something uber fun and frantic with about a billion over-the-top weapons and that famous Nintendo polish. Something similar to Timesplitters, does anybody remember Timesplitters? Imagine that but HD with Gamepad functionality. OOSH!!

I think the problem with the Wii U is that despite having an amazing selection of games, people who aren't in the gaming scene (i.e 90% of Nintendo's market) are confused about the branding. I honestly don't think Nintendo have done their best to address this. The Wii U has been pretty much advertised as follows; "HEY, seen this Wii U? Its a thing. BUY THE NEW MARIO!!".

Rubbish.

13. IRNBRU64 Monday 3rd Feb 2014 at 18:33

Maybe that new ip that miyamoto was meant to be working on is the plan?

14. K-tet Monday 3rd Feb 2014 at 18:47

Actually I think what it needs is better advertising =/

And one that could pass off as a member of Team Flare. Yeah, poetry in motion, but he'll do a good job in the position.

I agree with the sentiments that strong online games are needed to help bring the Wii U into its own, but while Third-Party offerings are, to a certain extent, somewhat sparse, Mario Kart and Smash Bros could be the injection the Wii U needs on that front. Sakurai has his work cut out for him to get Smash online working. It absolutely sucked in Brawl. I have no doubt Mario Kart will be fine for online. It was fine since MKWii, and MK7's online uses the same netplay structure. That said, if we get a new Metroid, F-Zero and Star Fox games, they do need online multiplayer (something Star Fox 64 3D lacked) to help bring more to the table. Local multiplayer should also remain.

Expanding on the Wii U's GamePad is definitely a route Miyamoto, like Nintendo themselves, should pursue, and I'm certain that they'll find more ways to utilise it than just as a quick inventory screen/panoramic viewfinder/off-play option etc.

15. Rufan Monday 3rd Feb 2014 at 19:04

I got The WiIU on it's release date, I was really excited about playing it, I played Nintendo Land a while and It is fun, but the fun dosen't last too long.

So far I've only bought one game for it, that was Pikmin 3, I haven't finished that or played it much.

I think Nintendo needs to stop the 'year of' thing it sound intersting at the start and I liked the idea, but now I'm bored of Mario games.

I think they need to come up with a new game, sololy for the Wii U, something we haven't seen before.

16. Justin Bailey Monday 3rd Feb 2014 at 19:18

So, the return of Project H.A.M.M.E.R.!

Honestly, I can't wait for what Shigeru Miyamoto has in store for the Wii U!

17. James McNevin Monday 3rd Feb 2014 at 19:54

I'm in two minds whether Nintendo's rumoured new IP should be a FPS game or not. I'm honestly not a huge fan of the genre, and while I appreciate I don't speak for everyone, am I correct in saying that a lot of Nintendo fans are in my shoes? I mean why would you not be a Microsoft or Sony fanboy if FPS games were more your thing?

18. Siborg1994 Monday 3rd Feb 2014 at 21:07

I think they should make a 3DS Player, if you agree sign this and share it everywhere: https://www.change.org/petitions/ninten ... -for-wii-u

19. GamerWho Tuesday 4th Feb 2014 at 07:32

So all those people in Internet land telling Nintendo to spend some of its amassed profits on more advertising, more new IPs or to absorb another price cut, it can't happen because the investors are asking them to cut internal spendature to raise profits in the next fiscal year. And Iwata's always gets the blame.

20. gamebox2d Tuesday 4th Feb 2014 at 09:55

The Wii U was designed with Core Nintendo fans in mind

Nintendo's whole target market is just confusing.

21. Seamaster Tuesday 4th Feb 2014 at 11:32

The Wii U was designed with Core Nintendo fans in mind

I think that might just be the problem. Core Nintendo fans are a dying breed these days. Wii apealed to a broader audience. Wii U is too nerdy, one gamepad isn't enough, and the majority of games are either poor multiplayers, or hardcore mature titles. Mature gamers aren't interested in Wii U. Nintendo's whole target market is just confusing.

Bottom line and end of story.

22. RainbowGazelle Tuesday 4th Feb 2014 at 12:52

Seriously, am I the only one who looks at my Wii U collection and can't make my mind up what I want to play?

No, I have the exact same problem currently.

I think they need to come up with a new game, solely for the Wii U, something we haven't seen before.

That was The Wonderful 101, but no one bought it.

23. Capt_Anders Tuesday 4th Feb 2014 at 16:43

While Nintendo's marketing strategy is universally accepted as being awful, I do think the current games have an fair amount to do with the 'success' of the console. While I am not crazy about the current games they aren't bad and some people really like them, but will you honestly remember those games in 10 years time as being classics? The casual market is shifting, more children are playing 'hardcore' games like Halo, and something needs to be done to address this. To an outsider Nintendo must seem more and more like a fan boys club, a Mario and Zelda console (both excellent series none the less). I personally am excited by Smash Bros and Mario Kart but will there come a point when these are just not enough to get casuals to buy the console? Nintendo shouldn't just rely on their gaming pedigree which has stretched back decades, new series are needed for current generations and a single 'new' game Wonderful 101 is not really enough. The Wii U is not doomed but eventually just sticking New in front of old games will no longer work. Core fans are falling, while Nintendo and the Wii U seems to be a tribute act to the Past and not gaining any new fans.

24. liveswired Tuesday 4th Feb 2014 at 18:40

Wrong. Nintendo's games are currently family focused - not really Nintendo gamer focused.

The foolish thing about Nintendo is that they arent marketing Wii u at all when there is a massive family market waiting to be filled. The Ps4/xb1/apple products are all targeted at teens, Nintendovare unchallenged in their area of the market and are failing miserably.

People like you are the reason Wii U is failing. if this is the state of the Nintendo gamers today god help Nintendo.

MARIO 3D WORLD DESERVES TO BE PLAYED.

25. OmegaBear Tuesday 4th Feb 2014 at 19:49

This is a good direction to focus on. The "other guys" are not so family focused, catering to the lone gamers who prefer to play solo, even if it's on-line multiplayer. I fall into this category. For me, gaming is like reading a book. Sure you can read it out loud, but generally it's for the individual to absorb and enhance their life. This is why I love story driven games as well, such as Zelda. I can understand how Nintendo has been wanting to include the family, making their devices the central part of a group experience, but most families honestly will go outside and do things together. So focusing on the single player is very wise.

26. James McNevin Tuesday 4th Feb 2014 at 20:35

Oh the Wii U definitely needs third-party support, without a shadow.

I would propose a sort of 'music industry' type business model for Nintendo in terms of third-party companies. Let me explain. Record companies go out on the search for different bands and artists and sign them to their label. The record label gets a share of the profits whilst the artist gets treated to exposure, and basically just the funds needed in order to carry on the crazy journey that is the music industry, be it money for an album, food, travel expenses etc.

What if Nintendo effectively 'signed', or for want of a more accurate description, 'sponsor' third-party companies? Nintendo can help fund, nurture and cherish these companies with their years of experience and in return we get some amazing third-party exclusives for the Wii U?

If one company could pull this off then I think it would be Nintendo. They have an advantage over their competitors as lots of developers grew up with the NES and SNES, so have a natural affinity with them. I can see a lot of devs jumping at the opportunity to 'sign with Nintendo' out of nostalgia alone.

We are never going to beat the competition by getting ports of games that are extremely popular on other consoles. We can't get the latest CoD or FIFA games and expect to be in with a chance of getting more of the market share. As we all know, those who play CoD and sports games generally side with Microsoft. There is no disputing that fact. How we fight back is by providing an experience that can't be had on any other console; with mind-blowing fan favourite first-party games and completely unique and inspired third-party games. Then add some indie sprinkles to taste. Bon apetit!

27. MartinIsAwesome Wednesday 5th Feb 2014 at 14:17

Sometimes I forget that the internet is full of business experts. Must be the Dragons Den/The Apprentice influence.

As a meer Nintendo fan, I am just looking forward to see that it is that Miyamoto will be working on, especially if it delivers on that promise of really showing off the GamePad's control scheme.

28. Capt_Anders Thursday 6th Feb 2014 at 00:51

Sometimes I forget that Nintendo is brilliant and should never be critiqued by a mere Nintendo fan. People have strong opinions regarding where Nintendo's business strategy will take them in the future, as it affects the games (the most important thing about Nintendo) you play. You don't have to be an expert to comment on business, if what they are doing is not appealing to you as a fan then clearly they are doing something wrong.

29. MartinIsAwesome Thursday 6th Feb 2014 at 08:38

You don't have to be an expert to comment on business.

Prehaps not, but if someone is not an expert (or at least has a decent amount of experience/knowlege) in business, then ultimately what they're saying is guff.
    I'm not saying they shouldn't be critiqued, I just think it's better to hear from people that actually know enough about the business side of things. Yes, I'd like to see more advertising and what-not, but considering that both Luigi's Mansion 2 and Fire Emblem Awakening had next to no mainsteam advertising yet still did really well in the sales charts despite being single-platform exclusives, you have to wonder is the advertising budget is better spent elsewhere. But as I say, I'm not a business expert, so much of what I've just said is just guff, and typing it out has wasted my time and your time for reading it. Leave to the professional business analysts.
    This is why I just like to focus on the games development side of things instead of stressing out over how much money Nintendo makes.

30. martynm Thursday 6th Feb 2014 at 10:43

I didn't sound like that in my comment, did I?

31. mav Thursday 6th Feb 2014 at 13:22

You don't have to be an expert to comment on business.

If you are saying that people should not offer opinions, I am afraid the internet is the wrong place for you.

32. martynm Thursday 6th Feb 2014 at 13:33

MartinIsAwesome wrote:
    Capt_Anders wrote:
    You don't have to be an expert to comment on business.

And if you say Moderators shouldn't have opinions then I don't think forums are for you...

But seriously, MIA has a point. Some people, especially on the internet, tend to get caught up in the whole politics and finances of Nintendo to really concentrate on the whole point of Nintendo- making games to enjoy. The games he mentioned have sold well with little (but notable) advertising they've had. It's another way of looking at the whole thing. And believe me, I have a Intermediate GNVQ in Business Studies so i know what I'm talking about :P

It's actually worth 4 GCSE grade C's, you see! And worthless at this point!

33. mav Thursday 6th Feb 2014 at 14:15

Mods are just users most of the time and I was saying everyone has opinions, regardless of background they voice them online.

34. Yell-Darb Thursday 6th Feb 2014 at 19:43

Well games like those on the DS (biggest selling console ever) would fit perfectly on the Wii U. Imagine those touch screen oriented games with a HD sheen. Bad Arse Billy Gunn.... Go make them now!!! :mrgreen:

35. Capt_Anders Friday 7th Feb 2014 at 02:52

You don't have to be an expert to comment on business.

Personally the business side of Nintendo interests me and a lot of others evidently on the forum, like I mentioned previously different business strategies will affect the games/consoles we buy. While I doubt anyone on this forum has a masters degree, or high level business experience as the customers if it doesn't appeal to us something is wrong with Nintendo's methods. If you don't value what is being said (which is fair enough), don't listen.

36. martynm Friday 7th Feb 2014 at 10:21

My attempt at sarcasm clearly failed then... :(

37. mav Friday 7th Feb 2014 at 10:51

My attempt at sarcasm clearly failed then... :(

Sarcasm does not travel over TCP/IP well..............

:lol: :lol:

38. martynm Friday 7th Feb 2014 at 11:08

martynm wrote:

My attempt at sarcasm clearly failed then...

Sarcasm does not travel over TCP/IP well..............

If you are saying that people should not offer sarcasm, I am afraid the internet is the wrong place for you.

:wink:

39. mav Friday 7th Feb 2014 at 12:01

martynm wrote:

My attempt at sarcasm clearly failed then...

Sarcasm does not travel over TCP/IP well..............

:wink: