Miyamoto announces the end of the Year of Luigi

Doff your caps and moustaches on 18 March

It's official: after, er, more than a year, the Year of Luigi ends on 18 March. Shigeru Miyamoto himself made the announcement on Miiverse, indicating that the Year of Luigi Miiverse community will be closed too, leaving all the comments and drawings kept in stasis forever more - like Han Solo, or an old sausage you forgot about at the back of the freezer.

Mr. Miyamoto's lengthy statement reads: "Almost a year has passed since I announced the Year of Luigi, marking the 30th anniversary of Luigi's debut. Thanks to everyone's kind support, we were able to release many Luigi games over the course of the year. I hope everyone continues to cheer for the green brother!

"However, all good things must come to an end, and the Year of Luigi will conclude on March 18.

"From this date on, the Year of Luigi Community and its Developers' Room will sadly no longer accept new posts or comments. (The exact date and time is listed in each community's description.) That means there's one more month to go. I hope everyone continues to share their thoughts on Luigi with people from around the world!

"By the way... As a means of bringing closure to the Year of Luigi, I would like to ask you to leave a comment for Luigi in this post. (Please post only one comment per person.) The deadline will either be the end date listed in the community description or when the comments reach 1000, whichever comes first. I'm looking forward to seeing everyone's thoughtful comments!"

You can watch the moment Miyamoto announced the most fabulous year of our lives by pretending to hoover up Satoru Iwata's blazer below. Long live Luigi:

Comments

1. dustyRobbins1 Tuesday 18th Feb 2014 at 17:14

NO. As in life, the Year of Luigi will find a new way to manifest itself. Maybe not on my mortal plane, maybe not Joe's or anyone else living's for that matter, but his glory will survive.

2. Justin Bailey Tuesday 18th Feb 2014 at 18:08

End of the Year of Luigi. Begin the Decade of Luigi!

3. shy guy 64 Tuesday 18th Feb 2014 at 18:29

Aw that's a shame

4. Pyron12 Tuesday 18th Feb 2014 at 18:33

It will never end! Luigi is too awesome to have his year end.

5. OrangeRakoon Tuesday 18th Feb 2014 at 18:50

RIP in peace Luigi you will be missed

6. big-splat Tuesday 18th Feb 2014 at 19:39

Next up, the year of Waluigi and Tingle!

7. mintgirl1991 Tuesday 18th Feb 2014 at 20:28

Farewell Luigi. Enjoy retirement in your mansion!

8. koopa_kicker Tuesday 18th Feb 2014 at 22:10

Next up, the year of Waluigi and Tingle!

I just realised, will they be dressing up as whatever character they decide to do this year in a Nintendo Direct? More so a reason for them to do Tingle I guess, though I doubt it would fit in what my prediction of Rosalina, but dame that girl is getting added to more games as of recent.

9. ImoCup Wednesday 19th Feb 2014 at 03:59

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!! :x You take that back, you take that back!! NO!!! I want it to be the century of Luigi!! :cry:

10. vtheyoshi Wednesday 19th Feb 2014 at 11:36

Shame, I love Luigi. Let's have a year of Yoshi now, eh?

11. Kittens. Wednesday 19th Feb 2014 at 18:11

I thought the title said Doof for a moment there.

12. sebas101 Thursday 20th Feb 2014 at 04:08

That mean no luigi's mansion for wii U :(
    How sad is that ! they cannot leave us behind...

13. Roswee-son Thursday 20th Feb 2014 at 10:06

No one else noticed they have those Luigi models back on the UK Stars catalogue ;)

14. robbiebob2 Saturday 22nd Feb 2014 at 14:19

I thought the title said Doof for a moment there.

le
    le
    le
    le

15. Quantum Raven Friday 28th Feb 2014 at 14:15

I seriously don't think that Luigi will be relegated to simply being "the other Mario brother" at all because as long as there are Luigi fans out there then the greater the possibility of him being in the starring role again and don't forget that Luigi's Mansion 2 was anounced long before the Year of Luigi and personally I would like Luigi's Mansion 3 and even Luigi platformers to happen one day.