Batman: Arkham Knight will not be released on Wii U

Rocksteady's "final Batman game" stealths past Nintendo consoles

Reports of the latest in the Batman: Arkham series have been circling ominously all day, but we now have it on good authority that Rocksteady's final Batman game will not be released on Wii U. Announcing their new issue's cover, Game Informer confirmed that Batman: Arkham Knight will release on PS4, Xbox One and PC only.

After a fully-fledged Wii U version of Batman: Arkham City and a semi-featured Arkham Origins, the Wii U versions had already started a worrying trend, but the announcement of an HD Wii U edition version of Arkham Origins Blackgate had instilled some hope that Warner Bros. might still have Wii U in its thoughts. Sadly, that doesn't seem to have been the case.

Ah well, you know what Batman says: "You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Comments

1. NP Chilla Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 16:07

After Arkham Origins proved a huge letdown, we could well be missing NOTHING.

2. Abe hikura Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 16:08

Maybe the Wii U will get a port of what ever portable/mobile tie in game

3. King Slazo Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 16:20

After Arkham Origins proved a huge letdown, we could well be missing NOTHING.

AO had a different developer. Knight is being made by the guys who did Asylum and City, so will almost certainly be good.

And without meaning to sound like a snarky naysayer, I can't say this news surprises me in the slightest.

4. FamilyGAMEGuy8 Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 16:22

Sure I could play it on my PC (and I almost certainly will) but...I find buying new Triple A, HD PC games risky as I could spend a lot of money and the damn thing might not work. Shame really since I have no plans to get a PS4 or Xbox One...

5. M1TCH-80 Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 16:28

Im not happy about this tbh as i love the batman games.

6. Tamzily01 Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 16:29

Surprising? No. Annoying? Yes. I really enjoyed Arkham City, and I'm not readily prepared to spend Ł400+ to play this. After the whole mess surrounding the Wii U version or Origins though, I can probably see why Rocksteady are releasing this on the other current gen platforms...and PC.

7. jtthegame Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 16:40

clearly they are not a real third party. real third parties support everything.

8. danbish Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 17:28

Yay, WiiU gets shafted yet again. :(

9. MasterfulVivi Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 17:47

It's not a surprise. At the end of the day, it costs money to port games to other systems. By the time this game comes out, the PS4 could be pushing 10 million. As of now, there's no reason to port it to the Wii U when they're going to be losing money. What the Wii U needs is to hope that SSB and MK8, along with the new LoZ, are exceptional. If any of them are duds, the Wii U could be a failure. And if MK8 works, then there's no reason for Rocksteady not to port it, if it will make them money.

10. Deepsouth Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 17:56

This is very bad news for the Wii U, and me. This game will be amazing...You would think Nintendo would have people talking to rocksteady (WB) persuading them to put the game on thier system! Giving Third parties incentives for developing on Nintendo Platforms! C'mon Iwata, do your Job! Sale your console! I bet this game would have hit a million in sales on the U. Looks like I gotta break down and buy a Ps4 afterall.

11. thenintendoer Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 18:04

so once again the third party situation is becoming more like the wii again :(

12. SupaWaluigi Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 18:06

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!! Why, Rocksteady?! WHY!!! :cry: *sigh* Here's hoping they port it over at a later time. I mean, there's still time, right? RIGHT?!

13. SilentDark Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 18:35

Ah Nintendo, you get one sucess after years of playing second fiddle and you go and drop the ball again. Your first party stuff is almost always great but you must realise by now that it just isn't enough anymore. You need to start selling this console to people, you need to start selling it to third party devs. This is going to sell a ton, and you're out in the cold.

The time for games is over Iwata, time to bring out the big guns.

14. sonicka Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 18:42

Could understand the frustration if it wasn't ported from the 360/PS3, but guys come on - it's on the PS4/ONE, obviously it's not gunna make it towards the WiiU as well, it's not that kind of powerhouse.

Still, I do find it slightly disappointing/weird that Rocksteady are returning to bookend and put in their final chapter on the Arkham franchise - I mean, it's a good thing I guess, but a bit peculiar to end the series on the next gen consoles. It explains their absence from the series (and the last game) since they were obviously becoming accustomed with the new tech to develop this game, but like quite a few other media sites I was expecting a progression from Batman into the greater DC universe from Rocksteady.

15. garywood Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 18:52

Look at the sales figures for City and Origins on WiiU. And then drastically reduce your estimate!

16. Time-Bomb Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 18:57

I love my 3DS but at the moment I just really don't want a WiiU. That's not to say there's nothing of worth on it but there isn't anything that just screams to me "You need to play this".

I hate to sound like a Wii U fanboy, and I'll save you the list of great games the console has on it so far. What I feel I must say though, is how great Tropical Freeze and Rayman Legends are! Both games were just ones I bought on a whim thinking "hey I'll give it a shot" but they have both genuinely become two of my all time favourite games! If you like platformers, you need to play them! But hey, that's just my two cents!

On topic, yeah the batman news sucks. Then again if its not out on 360 or PS3 its kind of understandable due to the significant difference in graphics between the Wii U and the One/PS4. I'll just play it in a few years when I can get a PS4 for like 200 bucks. :P

17. bringmelights Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 19:21

After Arkham Origins proved a huge letdown, we could well be missing NOTHING.

As mentioned Origins was a different developer. From the description and trailer for Arkham Knight it sounds like it will be awesome tbh.

18. Xenobladeperson Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 19:22

That's why minimum system requirements exist.

19. SilentDark Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 20:10

That's why minimum system requirements exist.

I'd say that's why recommended system requirements exist. Meeting the minimum in the past has never worked out well for me.

20. Deepsouth Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 20:15

Arkham city sold decent for a re-release of an older game for full price. Arkham Origins got really bad reviews, and wasnt really that good of a game, and made by different developers. Those two games never had a chance at being big sellers on the U. This is different. Arkham Knight, Batman's introduction into Next gen, and developed by the loved Rocksteady? Yes, this game would have hit one million sells on The Wii U. Just like Mario 3d world, Windwaker, and several others. Nintendo lost out Big Time by not getting this game on their system...

21. Tamzily01 Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 20:41

Arkham Origins didn't necessarily get bad reviews. It just wasn't as well-received as Rocksteady's games. Scores had nothing to do with it selling low on the Wii U though. Considering it was also released for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC (all of which have much larger markets than the Wii U), I'd say that played some role in it. Say they did release Arkham Knight on the Wii U though. 1 million sales is a bit optimistic.

22. Shinnos Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 20:54

Arkham Origins didn't necessarily get bad reviews.

Maybe it didn't get bad reviews, but it certainly got average reviews: 68% on Metacritic.

Arkham City was never going to sell great on the Wii U, coming out after it had already been available for a long time on PS3 and Xbox360, so that most people who would play it, already had.

But a brand new Arkham game from Rocksteady would probably have sold well on Wii U. I'd have definitely bought it!

23. Yell-Darb Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 21:01

I couldn't give 2 tiny TANGERINES..... City was excellent & I hate goddamn prequels. To all those idiots sayin.. "Ohh no I'll have to spend Ł400+ just to play it"..... Shut it you MUPPET!!! Nobody cares what you think & how "MUCH" money you have to throughb around! Sony Slags!!!
    Wooooooooooooo

24. Deepsouth Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 21:12

To add another point, I think this hurts Nintendo more than most realize, even Nintendo themselves. Imagine all the people that were on the fence about buying a Wii U. Im sure there are millions of people in this catagory. And Im sure most of them fell on the wrong side of the fence after hearing this news about Arkham Knight. This is going to hurt Wii U sales big time. I know people buy Nintendo Hareware for Nintendo games, but the wait between releases is far too long. Three maybe four nintendo games a year will not save the Wii U. Nintendo better have a E3 that blows people heads clean off thier shoulders, or there is a serious chance the Wii U wont see ten million unts sold.

25. harrogatewario Tuesday 4th Mar 2014 at 22:53

Shame as I really liked AC and plan on picking Origins up once I have cleared through my current back-log. IMO it's nowhere near as disappointing as the Watch Dogs *cough delay.

Strange thing is if my PS4 ever arrives I doubt very much this will be a game I will be desperate to pick up on it.

I do wonder though without the internet hype/frenzy/fan-boying that goes on what the industry would look like. I can't remember a time during my 25 year gaming life when everyone worried so much about which games they weren't getting or how many consoles/software discs had been sold.

The whole industry is disappearing up its own over-hyped backside, with dreadful iOS games seemingly the only way 'expert' analysts see gaming surviving beyond the next 10 years.

Why can't we just go back to owning a console and enjoying the games that ARE on it and the going round your mates house to play the other system because it has different games on it?! :cry:

26. James McNevin Wednesday 5th Mar 2014 at 07:56

To be fair, is there any wonder why Rocksteady and WB have done this?

The Batman: Arkham series nearly died on its arse with Origins. Rocksteady and WB thought they could get away with milking the franchise a little bit more and lazily hired some other third-rate development company to rush a new game out the door before it was ready in effort for M00OoR MoNNŁz!!. And they were shocked and stunned that Origins came out a pile of crap? Really?

They pulled an Activision on our arses. They released three mainline games in four years. It was all going to come crashing down eventually.

This new Batman: Arkham game serves to right these wrongs. They realised their efforts to milk the franchise almost buried said franchise. Lol. So no they're not going release it on the Wii U as its too much of a risky manoeuvre. They'll have to release it on platforms where they really think there's a chance to recoup their losses.

PS4 and XBONE are the perfect consoles. EVERY SINGLE owner of one of those consoles will buy the new Batman: Arkham game. Why? Because there's nothing to bloody play on those damn consoles! Those poor souls will snap up even the tiniest morsel of gaming nourishment in an effort to justify dropping like Ł500 apiece on something that's collecting more dust than Susan Boyle's sexy lingerie collection.

On the other side of the coin you have Nintendo. Why did they drop the ball again? C'mon guys. I'm starting to wonder if they even care at this point. I'm Nintendo 4lyf but this is extremely annoying.

27. Abe hikura Wednesday 5th Mar 2014 at 08:16

I doubt Nintendo had any choice in this. At best even if AC And AO was massive sellers on Wii U we wouldn't of got this. We would of got Arkham Knight: return to arkham. An low grade spun off developed by the AO guys this isn't about suport its purely a specs vs design issue

28. James McNevin Wednesday 5th Mar 2014 at 08:25

Do you think the new Batman: Arkham game is going to look that much better from its predecessors that the Wii U won't be able to handle it though? I've not seen any screenshots or really anything to do with this game, but I can almost guarantee it won't be anything mind blowing. It'll be the same engine with more polished graphics. They aren't going to build it from the ground up for 'the last game of the series'. The specs of the console won't matter.

29. Abe hikura Wednesday 5th Mar 2014 at 08:35

Its set to be 5 times the size of arkham city. Riotsare a big feature when batman has to deal 50 people riots

30. SamManSam Wednesday 5th Mar 2014 at 09:55

Oh how little you know.
    This game has been in development for three years, maybe more. Yes it uses the same engine, but the environments and characters and models are all completely different. It has been mentioned that the Batmobile uses up as much memory as there exists on an Xbox 360 disc, and that the model for a single character has the same polygon count as the entire environment in Arkham Asylum. With that in mind, I would strongly argue that disk space was a big contributor to not releasing Arkham Knight on the Wii U.

31. mav Wednesday 5th Mar 2014 at 11:04

I think it's the lazy port thing again, they can develop one game then do the final 2% for the XB1 and PS4 where the WiiU would need lots more (not even going to guess how much more development time).

I have seen the trailers and think the WiiU could do it, but not on a lazy port.

32. Yell-Darb Wednesday 5th Mar 2014 at 13:58

Well said my man. Whatever console you own, just enjoy it.
    When I was at school, I had a SNES & my best mate had a MegaDrive 2. I really wanted Sonic 2, but he got it & after completing it, we swayed consoles for 2 weeks. I got to play Sonic 2, he got to play Mario World.
    I didn't need a Sega, he didn't need a SNES..... The good old days. We wern't spoiled, but we loved our games all the same!

33. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 5th Mar 2014 at 14:15

I'm disappointed but it isn't no surprise, but at least it isn't coming to PS3/360.

34. 25BBB Wednesday 5th Mar 2014 at 15:48

It's a shame, but not exactly surprising. As it's PS4 and XBO only I would have thought it would be a struggle to get it running on Wii U.. :/

35. KingGrimlock Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 14:23

As a big fan of Asylum (pretty much made me a gamer again) I'm very disappointed with this. Yes City wasn't as good and Origins was terrible but these big budget, highly advertised titles are the ones people want to play. It's just another developer that others will look at and say 'well, if they don't think that triple A title won't sell on the Wii U, my indie driving title certainly won't'. With this, the Watch_Dogs 'delay', not getting EA titles, not getting DLC or Liberation HD and the inevitable news that Assassins Creed 5 won't be on the Wii U, I'm staring down the very real possibility of having to buy a PS4 just to continue playing the games I like. A Zelda, a Mario, a DK, a Metroid and a Star Fox every 4 years are not enough to keep me going. The question is, can I justify keeping the Wii U when I will be able to buy all but Nintendo titles on a more powerful console which will offer full functionality?

36. SilentDark Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 15:17

Well that is the very real issue here. Once again Nintendo is going to be left behind. The day a console lived or died based on what the exclusives were is long since over, most of the big name franchises are multiplatform but Nintendo don't seem to want anything to do with that, seemingly content to push out it's own products without consideration for what 3rd parties want or need from a console. The times have changed but Nintendo doesn't seem to want to move on. Nintendo won last time because they had a cute gimmick nobody else did, but everyone has a gimmick now. Nintendo really need to do something to turn this around, but short of ditching the Wii U and developing something that can actually compete with the PS4/XB1 I'm not sure what they can do.

37. Jenova Project X Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 17:19

Not exactly news, it's a next gen console only game because of the whole graphical requirements needed to run it. The developers themselves were saying it would be almost impossible to get the batmobile to look and behave as well as they wanted even on the xbox360 forcing them into a next gen only scenario. If Nintendo hadn't have chosen to go down the whole not advancing with the times in terms of a console's power then far fewer games would neglect the WiiU market.