Mario Kart Limited Edition software bundle announced

The Blue Shell is back

In the run-up to Mario Kart 8's release on 30 May, Nintendo's announced a raft of pre-order bonuses, including a Limited Edition software bundle (watch the trailer below for a look) that includes a Blue Shell figurine - the first announcement of Mario Kart's most divisive weapon's appearance in the new game.

Available to pre-order from the Nintendo UK online store and other retailers from today, the bundle brings together a copy of the game and the Blue Shell figurine, in much the same way as the Wind Waker HD software bundle a few months ago.

Alongside that, retailers will be offering Mario Kart-themed keyrings to those who pre-order the bundle. Bullet Bill, Golden Dash Mushroom and Red Shell versions will be available, depending on the shop you buy from. Finally, the Nintendo UK online store has an exclusive extra bundle comprising the software bundle, a Bullet Bill T-Shirt and the Red Shell keyring.

For those of a more digital persuasion, Nintendo also announced that SNES classic Super Mario Kart (running at 60hz, speed fans) will be coming to Virtual Console on 27th March, and that purchasing it would offer a £5.49 discount on an eShop download of MK8 on the same console until 30th June.

Comments

1. Roswee-son Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 12:39

Sold!! Looks epic, glad to see mario kart from the Snes getting another release but must say I would prefer it on the 3ds ;)

2. martynm Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 12:43

Of course, real men get hit by a blue shell and don't make a deal and win the race 8) Just sayin'

On a serious note, If i had a Wii U, I'd be after that limited edition like a, well, blue shell.

3. Jarmez Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 12:53

Well, I guess I'll have to shell out more money for this edition.

4. Yell-Darb Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 12:58

Do you think Game will get this Blue Shell edition in?

5. Jarmez Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 13:05

Do you think Game will get this Blue Shell edition in?

Yep, it's currently available for GAME and Amazon, though I think other retailers will get this edition as well.

6. King Slazo Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 13:07

Eh... I'm good, I'll just save money and buy the regular edition of the game.

7. chipite007 Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 13:08

i am gonna download this from eshop. does anyone know how good nintendo are with pre order downloads. i know sony let you download it a couple of days before. does anyone know how big it will be, i have 32gb wii will i need to add bigger sd card.

8. Abe hikura Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 13:15

I suspect the blue shell will be just as effective out of the game as in game. a swift throw aimed at the temple should net me the lead lol

9. Wiimote Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 13:33

OMG I want but dunno if I can afford it :( why so expensive.

10. SamManSam Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 13:38

This is pretty good. I hope a similar deal is offered for Smash Bros.

11. 5OUNDWAVE Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 13:43

i just checked my pre-order at game and i'm getting a free steering wheel , look's pretty funky !

12. RedDwarf Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 14:39

Good luck with getting the extras at Game. I was supposed to get a furry sleeve and keyring with Super Mario 3D World and I never got It. I know other people who have not received extras from Game too. Just sayin.

13. Time-Bomb Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 14:58

Wind Waker got a fancy, big and detailed Ganondorf statue. Mario Kart 8 gets a shoddy looking Blue Shell that looks like something you'd get from those vending machines in Toys R Us. I'll pass on this one I think!

14. Bowser16 Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 15:37

If you pre order from the Nintendo shop you get a t-shirt and a key ring bonus as well. :D

15. Mariostar222 Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 15:38

Why did I pre-order ssb4?
    this game looks great,and that shell.....

16. 5OUNDWAVE Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 17:13

i've alway's got the extra's from game , they even sent me out 2 copie's of 3d land which both arrived on the same day - 1 copie had the furry sleeve and keyring , the other copie did'nt - anyhoo i kept the furry sleeve for mario kart and got to play 3d land for nothing !

17. mattzere Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 17:35

Is the t-shirt bundle a separate bundle on the nintendo store? I cant seem to find it...
    That eShop offer seems pretty fair. Unfortunately the game'll probably be £50 on the eShop without any bonusses, and though I already have an abundance of Wii Wheels from MK Wii,. I'd rather spend £40 at one of the various retailers with a free MK8 Wheel, and purchase the retro title with the money I saved.
    That Blue shell is a bit meh, and not really worth the additional £10 (technically it's an additional £20 if you think about the £40 cost of the game from anyone other than Nintendo). If it was like those Club Nintendo metal trophies or maybe even a statue of Mario in his kart then I'd probably go for it...

Still, mega-hyped for the game!! :mrgreen:

18. barrybarryk Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 17:37

I don't really understand, how is it a "software bundle" if it comes with a plastic figure?

19. King Slazo Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 17:41

Because saying "special edition" is too mainstream.

20. IRNBRU64 Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 17:53

Got mine of nintendos official store with key ring and t shirt for sixty quid! Well chuffed.

21. mattzere Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 18:29

do you know what, let me retract what I said before. the bundle is live on the Nintendo UK store and £60 isnt awful considering you get a tee, keyring and shell-thing with the game. Shame you can only get a small or XL tee with the blue shell, and medium is only with the standard edition of the game.
    It's ironic than Nintendo are the only company whose Limited Editions are GENUINELY limited, yet they are the only ones who dont refer to them as that!
    i refreshed the page and it had the full set of tee sizes.

22. 3DSRulesO.K Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 19:20

I don't think that Nintendo do pre-order downloads, but 32gb should be fine if you haven't used it all up already and the SD card slot is for Wii games only, you need to use a USB flash drive or external hard drive to expand memory for Wii U games.

23. laughingjumpman Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 20:12

Well, played Nintendo. Well played.

You know how to make me want to buy the most ridiculous things I don't need. I'm a sucker for tat.

24. SamManSam Thursday 6th Mar 2014 at 23:55

I was tempted, too, but I've just gone for the standard bundle to save me a bit of cash. However, I genuinely think £10 more isn't too bad (depending on the quality of the figure) if you feel you really need that shell. But here's a question: How big is it? From the video it looks like it'd fit comfortably in your hand, but it's hard to say.

25. chipite007 Friday 7th Mar 2014 at 19:46

ok cheers mate. my wii is empty. dont think game will be that big anyway. mario 3d world is only 1.6 gb. game looks great.

26. imbusydoctorwho Tuesday 11th Mar 2014 at 10:37

Might get it depends on how much extra it is.