Watch 16 new Mario Kart tracks in action

See 8 new tracks and 8 updated retro courses

Mario and chums might be the faces of every Mario Kart game, but playing the series' HD bow, it quickly became clear that its tracks are the real stars. We've played through 16 courses at this point, grouped into the Mushroom, Flower, Shell and Banana Cups - and we've got footage of all of them.

Comprising four brand new tracks - Mario Kart Stadium, Water Park, Sweet Sweet Canyon and Thwomp Ruins - the Mushroom Cup is your introduction to the game's new anti-gravity mechanics, with giant airborne bends, close-quarters wall riding and magically suspended underwater sections all included:

The Flower Cup - featuring a new Mario Circuit, Toad Harbour, Twisted Mansion and the incredible Shy Guy Falls - is a little more advanced, with tighter bends, more shortcuts and quite possibly the best Mario Kart setpiece ever created:

The Shell Cup is made up of retro tracks, with redesigned, updated editions of Mario Kart Wii's Moo Moo Meadows, Super Circuit's version of Mario Circuit (now with gigantic, hydraulic anti-gravity addition), DS's Cheep Cheep Beach and 64's wonderfully crowded Toad's Turnpike:

Finally, the Banana Cup groups together Double Dash's Dry Dry Desert, Super Mario Kart's Donut Plains 3, 64's Royal Raceway and the 3DS version's DK Jungle:

I would say I can't tell you how excited I am for this game, but I'm pretty sure I get that over succinctly by babbling over every one these videos. Enjoy!

Comments

1. Zabba 2 Thursday 3rd Apr 2014 at 10:18

Looks genuinely fantastic. I don't think I've been this hyped for a game in a long time.

Slightly disappointed that it appears you can't visit Peach's castle on the Royal Raceway track though. I always liked that feature in Mario Kart 64.

2. Aces High Thursday 3rd Apr 2014 at 11:12

Hi guys! Can Joe or anyone confirm if MK8 will support off-TV gameplay? Cheers.

3. dunc247 Thursday 3rd Apr 2014 at 11:23

So impressed by these tracks - particularly enjoying how fun the retro courses are looking

4. DstryrEU Thursday 3rd Apr 2014 at 11:28

Hi guys! Can Joe or anyone confirm if MK8 will support off-TV gameplay? Cheers.

It does have off tv play (Single player use).

5. samus_killer Thursday 3rd Apr 2014 at 11:31

Strangely it actually supports split-screen off TV play too, which must be a tad awkward to play.

I thought the exact same thing. It was inherently pointless, but I would've loved to drive around Peach's Castle from SM64 in HD. Still looks jaw-droppingly gorgeous. All the needs.

6. Aces High Thursday 3rd Apr 2014 at 11:40

Thanks for letting me know guys - much appreciated :-)

7. Wiimote Thursday 3rd Apr 2014 at 12:49

All the tracks look real fun to race round but the karts seem quite slidey meaning they take the corners quite wide which i don't like. Hopefully that was just the kind of kart you were using.

8. OXM Joe Thursday 3rd Apr 2014 at 14:01

Hi guys! Can Joe or anyone confirm if MK8 will support off-TV gameplay? Cheers.

As DstryrEU says, it does have Off-TV play - the GamePad defaults to that massive horn button, but there are touchpad selections for things like Off-TV mode or the the mini-map.

9. Jarmez Thursday 3rd Apr 2014 at 14:11

I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked that feature, it indeed is a shame we can't visit there for the HD makeover. I guess it could be that Nintendo wanted to avoid newcomer players, who had not raced on the original 64 track, to think that the way to Peach's Castle was a short cut, only to end up at a dead end and get frustrated at falling behind/losing because of it. Other than that, I'm not sure what else the reason could be for removing it/blocking it off.

10. Luke Ario Thursday 3rd Apr 2014 at 15:51

Congratulations to Nintendo for making DRY DRY Dessert have WATER in it!!!

But this seriously looks so great. I had literal tears in my eyes as I watched it. I love the look of Moo Moo Meadows especially. I am slightly sceptical about the new items because they seem slightly too obscure, but I'll go with it. And my favourite part is how it doesn't go to a blackout when you fall off, and Lakitu just plucks you straight back up again.

11. CyberGW Thursday 3rd Apr 2014 at 15:53

Yeah, looks amazing. Real step up from both MK7 and MKWii, amazing graphics and just so much attention to detail.
    I will enjoy playing this in my 12 week Summer after the exams are over! :D

12. laurencej Thursday 3rd Apr 2014 at 17:36

As much as I want to, I am going to resist watching the videos as I want to see the tracks properly for the first time when I get the game. And I can't wait for it. I've not looked forward to a game so much since Galaxy 2.

13. kamikazi L Thursday 3rd Apr 2014 at 17:58

hey you know that this game is 30fps in multiplayer which is stupid because grand turismo 6 and 5 were 1080p and 60 fps and they were on 7th gen consoles,so why nintendo why do this.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Ueli ... no/PPP.jpg

14. Luke Ario Thursday 3rd Apr 2014 at 19:20

I worship Galaxy and Galaxy 2, but this could finally be the game that is better than them.

15. Luke Ario Thursday 3rd Apr 2014 at 19:21

Does it matter? Mario Kart is insanely fun, even with a little lag.

16. Zabba 2 Thursday 3rd Apr 2014 at 22:31

If I recall correctly it only drops to 30fps in 3 and 4 player mode. It's still 60fps in 2 player mode.

I'm not sure about online, but I imagine online will be 30fps.

17. DstryrEU Friday 4th Apr 2014 at 08:08

GT also looks trash in comparison, lower assets / environmental design, no additional animations required or physics specific to characters (dat moustache physics) draw distance issues, pop in issues, lack of decent lighting/reflections, no effects - basically last gen. This is one of the most impressive looking next gen games and by far the best looking Wii U game, its leagues ahead of GT in terms of tech, design and care.

In terms of FPS:
    1 or 2 player = 60fps
    3 or 4 player = 30fps

Online (whether you go solo or local 2 player online) should still be 60fps, I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be, its still drawing the same information you'd get from single player / two player offline.

18. kamikazi L Friday 4th Apr 2014 at 14:20

the reason it matters for the multiplayer to be in 60fps is because its the best bit of the game

and it also should really be in 120fps considering its on an 8th gen console

19. CyberGW Friday 4th Apr 2014 at 14:46

and it also should really be in 120fps considering its on an 8th gen console

Just to be clear, 30fps isn't lag. Not lag at all. It's just not quite as fast moving or as smooth as 60fps.
    60fps games look great, and sure 120fps games would be very nice. But they don't determine the quality of the product. I'm very sure Nintendo could switch between a white and black screen at 120 times a second, and nobody would purchase the game. Framerate has been sacrificed every so slightly (as it is still more than acceptable for games) so that we can have all the action and all the beauty of the surroundings.
    Playing this game you will not say "Err, low framerate". It's is fine, and the content will more than satisfy the loss of 30Hz.

20. DstryrEU Friday 4th Apr 2014 at 14:49

and it also should really be in 120fps considering its on an 8th gen console

Trolling right?

Multiplayer is 60fps unless you're in 3/4 player local. I don't think you understand how demanding games are these days or as I said just here to troll, what point is 120fps when most home TV's are not even 120hz+ standard? If you view a 120fps game on a 60hz TV you're open to some pretty terrible screen tearing not to mention 60hz can only display 60 frames per second anyway so you gain nothing...

Anyway consoles don't have the power for 120fps unless you want a severely stripped back version of the game at a low resolution, that goes for all consoles, not just the Wii U.

21. kamikazi L Friday 4th Apr 2014 at 16:59

right its ironic that people say im trolling and its good because some people dont know what trolling is
    but im not trolling and ps4 and xbox one can probably do better than 120fps, other note is that it is kinda standard for racing games to be 60fps+ and 1080p so dont think im stupid a load of seventh gen games do it and the wii u is definitly better than that

22. Luke Ario Saturday 5th Apr 2014 at 08:23

Honestly, how many people are actually going to notice the difference when it comes down to it? The 1% of people who actually care about framerate?