Buy Mario Kart 8 - get one of 10 Wii U games free

The console's best games, direct to you

Nintendo was always going to go big with the release of Mario Kart 8, but with the new Bonus Game Promotion they've pinned their colours to the mast - if you buy Mario Kart 8 at retail or via eShop and register it with Club Nintendo, you can get one of 10 games as a free download. This is quite special.

Those games are: Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Wii U version), Game & Wario, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Sonic Lost World (Wii U version), Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games and Wii Party U. It's worth noting that most of that list sits among the very best of Wii U's lineup.

Codes must be registered between 30th May 2014 and 31st July 2014, and downlaods will be received by 31st August (although we'd suspect they'll come significantly earlier than that). Finally, remember that this means the Special Edition hardware bundles Nintendo recently announced essentially contain an extra game of your choice - that's quite a deal!

Comments

1. gmaniha Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 12:38

Is this for the UK only or is it North America as well?

2. OXM Joe Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 12:42

Is this for the UK only or is it North America as well?

Sort of - in North America it's one of four games: NSMBU, Pikmin 3, Zelda and Wii Party U.

3. olrodlegacy Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 12:43

That's a hell of a deal! Does that work in conjunction with the eshop Super Mario Kart deal too, where you get a fraction off the price having bought the SNES game anyway? This is unbelievable!

4. David Burch Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 12:52

Does this apply to those who order it from the Nintendo Online store?

5. Komodo_Wolfgang Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 12:54

Wow, seems theyre really trying hard to sell the Wii U.... worrying.

GREAT DEAL THOUGH!

6. NintenDan Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 12:55

Does pre-ordering the special pack from Nintendo's official store online count as retail?

7. Zabba 2 Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 13:19

This just made the Ł220 MK8/Wii U Premium bundle deal I bought all the sweeter.

8. RedDwarf Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 13:34

I got to hand It to Nintendo this is an incredible offer, so glad I have not purchased WindWaker HD as that game is going to be my free game to go with Mario Karts 8 just fantastic!

9. imbusydoctorwho Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 13:35

Wow that's one big deal, that is actually a really good way of selling Wii U.

10. Time-Bomb Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 13:38

Man, that deal's almost too good to believe! A good time to be a Nintendo fan! :D

I've already got most of these games though, so for me it's a choice between Sonic Lost Worlds, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, or Game & Wario.

If anyone has any strong feelings one way or the other regarding those^ games, feel free to help me decide!

11. Mikazi Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 13:42

Does this apply to those who order it from the Nintendo Online store?

It doesn't matter where you buy the game from, as long as you register the code that comes with the game on the Nintendo Website

12. RiksilveR Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 14:11

Wow, seems theyre really trying hard to sell the Wii U.... worrying.

How is it worrying? If this gets some decent advertising (which, given that it's Mario Kart, it will) then it could give a tremendous boost to sales and go some way to turning the U's fortunes around.
    Only bad thing about the offer is that there's not much I want there, I've got Zelda and MH and party games aren't really my thing so it's between Pikmin and W101.

13. Sex Bob-omb Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 14:48

Awesome now I have the hard choice between pikmin 3 or wind waker

14. Samster296 Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 15:02

This is a great deal! I never got round to actually buying Monster Hunter last year. That will definitely be the game I'll be getting.

15. GingerNips26 Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 15:20

I'm planning on buying a Wii U soon, so If I buy the game at release and register the code, will I be able to get the free game when I've bought my Wii U afterwards? :D :D

16. Dark nemisis Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 15:47

Free Wind Waker for me then I guess :D

17. Waldy565 Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 15:59

This is going to sound vain, but this is what's tipped me over to buying MK8
    I mean, sure, the new MK looks great and all but I'll really need to get to grips with it before I pass judgement - this is the one thing I loath about MK, you never know how you'll enjoy it until you start playing it - luckily it's my birthday 4th July so I'll be just within the promotion time
    But Nintendo has to be congratulated, that was a smart business move for the still struggling Wii U - defo can't wait to get my hands on a free copy of Pikmin 3! Or, Zelda Wind Waker? OR MH3U?! Damn!

EDIT - OK, when I posted this there was still 10 mins or so of the direct I hadn't finished watching... THAT MUSIC! My God, gets me inspired to play... If I had an instrument I could play, I can't keep kidding myself, I can't play guitar to save my life...

18. Waldy565 Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 16:02

I'm gonna be honest, from what I've heard (I can't personally judge) not a great line-up, but G+W is supposedly a massive let-down, the Mario and Sonic franchise at this point is now stale, and Sonic is... Mixed. Have you heard of BNGR, Balorgs Nintendo Game Room? He's a reviewer on youtube, I think he's done all 3, if not he's defo done M+S and Lost World, worth a check maybe?

19. RedDwarf Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 16:17

The request of a download code must be completed by August 31st 2014, 23:59 (UK time). The download code will be sent to you via email to the email address registered in your Club Nintendo account within 48 hours. The download code will also be available after login in the “My Account” section of the Club Nintendo website, 48 hours after completing the request for a download code.

The download code can be used to download the chosen game from Nintendo eShop to any Wii U console*. The download code expires on September 30th 2014, 22:59 (UK time).

T&C Source....https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Campaigns/Ma ... 79237.html

20. DstryrEU Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 16:35

Sonic Lost Worlds is the best of the 3 by quite a fair margin, in terms of gameplay, hours/completion and challenge. You'd be done and bored with G&W in a day, while I don't think you'll get the most of this deal if you picked the olympic game since this tends to go on sale often for less than Ł15 in your local supermarkets (never played it so I can't recommend, but reviews were bad).

So you might as well get the most out of the free offer and get the most expensive game on offer that you don't have (which co-incidentally is the best one - Sonic Lost Worlds)

Or claim a code and sell it to buy something else ;)

21. LocalHero Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 16:41

" and downlaods will be received by 31st August (although we'd suspect they'll come significantly earlier than that"
    The Nintendo e-mail states you'd get the code within 48 hours and you have until the 31st August to use them.

22. tobes325 Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 16:56

This is an awesome deal actually, did not expect this at all! I've got most of the good ones i.e. wind waker, wonderful 101 & pikmin 3 so I'm torn between getting Monster Hunter, Wii Party U (they're good fun in a group!) or Sonic Lost Worlds :? :?

23. Phil Kavadias Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 16:58

I own or have owned six of the ten. The two Sonic games, Game and Wario, and Windwaker are left.

Windwaker it is then! Definitely the better of the remaining four.

24. xzeldax Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 17:09

Wow what a deal!! Now the question is: New Super Mario Bros U or Monster Hunter 3? Decisions, decisions....

25. wghtmf Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 17:20

I wasn't going to get MK8 immediately, but this just changed my mind. I shall now look up whichever is the most expensive game on that list and choose that one. Obviously.

26. mariomafia Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 17:25

such a dreadful deal, Its like a show where you can see lots of potential in it but is squandered by poor direction.

It is already overpriced (overpriced but sold at a loss coz nintendo don't know hardware) , once it gets to the $250 sweet spot we might be starting to have a better price point.

but for the buy mario get a game free, it entirely depends on the line up.

27. Funkyrowanpixie Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 17:35

i preordered the game from GAME i wonder if this offer will work for me as well

28. OrangeRakoon Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 17:44

The 3DS style WiiU comeback begins?

29. laughingjumpman Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 17:58

Nice! Hoped they'd do deals like this after all those ones they did for 3DS games, which I also did quite well out of.

Think I'll go for W101, as I found the demo a bit baffling/off-putting, but was willing to give it a look after hearing so much good about it if I ever saw it going cheap enough. Free is definitely cheap enough.

30. dumpandchase78 Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 18:36

Aye I think I'll go TW101 or maybe NSMBWiiU... decisions decisions!

Cracking offer, great surprise but I bet it won't please everyone. Getting something for free, bah.

31. Ghostly_Shadeon Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 19:16

Wow, I never expected this at all, will definitely be seizing the offer when it comes.
    For me, it's a choice of either Wind Waker HD or Game and Wario (I already own NSMBU, Nintendo Land and Pikmin 3), but I'll probably go for Wind Waker HD due to better review ratings.

32. mahius19 Wednesday 30th Apr 2014 at 20:40

A great deal! This offer will work for both Digital and Physical purchases of MKW, including special editions, bundles etc. The only negative thing about this offer, is that I've got some of these games :(
    I bought the MH3U console bundle in order to get a WiiU in the first place and I bought Nintendo Land alongside it. Both games are great and are still worth every penny. I also pre-ordered Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker HD last year. Again both are worthwhile.

I might have been interested in Wii Party U in this offer, but the retail version comes with a Wiimote Plus I believe. I may opt for Wonderful 101, as I've heard great things about it, or Sonic Lost World as it looks decent. Thanks to Nintendo for these great freebies. I'm still enjoying my free downloaded copy Mario 3D Land.

33. Abe hikura Thursday 1st May 2014 at 08:29

I think this should be an standing offer with all new Wii U's. Digital games don't cost anything to produce and free titles would help pull in more buyers

34. lminett Thursday 1st May 2014 at 09:03

Thats a hard choice of free game there! When i buy mario kart i may just get the wonderful 101.

35. Shinnos Thursday 1st May 2014 at 11:10

haha! My exact same thought process!

After having a 3DS since launch, it was when Nintendo ran that Buy 3 Games Get One Free promotion that I found myself playing it a whole lot more, and hopefully the release of Mario Kart 8 and this promotion will help to generate more interest/sales in the Wii U!

36. jjj90 Thursday 1st May 2014 at 14:00

Sooo.... If I were to buy the game 10 times, could I claim all 10 games? And then sell 9 Mario Karts?

37. Time-Bomb Thursday 1st May 2014 at 19:30

Pretty sure you can only register a game once per Club Nintendo account, so no you couldn't do that I'm afraid.

38. Yoshiller Friday 2nd May 2014 at 13:19

I just want to post a little word of warning on this deal; it isn't significant if you don''t have much downloaded on your Wii U or have a USB hard-drive connected. I suggest that you go on the Wii U e-shop and have a look at all 10 games' file sizes. I had a look at the sizes of all the games but NSMBU, Nintendo Land and Pikmin 3 as I currently own these games. For people who have basic Wii U's (8GB White), the only game out of the other 7 (W101,WWHD,SLW,M&S,G&W,MH3U,WPU) that you can download is Wind Waker HD. Likewise, if you already have a game downloaded (I downloaded Donkey Kong Country:Tropical Freeze) you won't have much space either. I'll list the rough download size of each game (I'll add Nintendo Land & Pikmin 3 later) here:

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - 2.5GB
    The Wonderful 101 - 12.9GB :shock:
    Sonic Lost World - Around 7-8GB
    Mario & Sonic + The Infinite Title - Around 7-8GB
    Game & Wario - Around 7-8GB
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - Around 7-8GB
    Wii Party U - Around 7-8GB (this is seriously bigger than Wind Waker?)
    New Super Mario Bros. U - I believe this is around 4.5GB

I hope this helps you in picking the right game because I don't want to see people pick a game that they can't download because there isn't enough space left (I wasn't going to get The Wonderful 101, but I can't download it anyway because I don't have enough space). I'm going to be getting Wind Waker HD as I never had a GameCube and was going to buy this anyway but now don't have to :D.

39. samus_killer Friday 2nd May 2014 at 13:54

Some of those file sizes are actually relatively small compared to some of the other system's full-priced downloadable games. I downloaded Sly 4 on my PS3 the other month and that was a whopping 21GB.

It's a great deal nonetheless. A couple of my friends are finally buying a Wii U because of Mario Kart 8, and this free game had just sealed the deal for them. So I'll be getting Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate with them so they'll already have a couple of solid online games to play.

40. RedDwarf Friday 2nd May 2014 at 15:34

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - 2.5GB

That is great to know so thank you. I have space for this yay, want to keep space on my 32GB for project cars later in the year as I have not bothered with an external HDD... yet!

41. dap005 Friday 2nd May 2014 at 16:04

I would personally opt for G&W just because Nintendo SPD games have never failed to let me laugh (see this kotaku review if it helps back my point that the wario makers are complete nuts: http://kotaku.com/game-wario-the-kotaku-review-560208304). It has marmite reception but hey you can't go wrong with a free comedy game.

42. MartinIsAwesome Friday 2nd May 2014 at 16:45

That is an awesome deal! Now all I've got to do is decide whether to get Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101 or Game & Wario, and which of those I'll feel happiest about not being a boxed copy.

43. Lazara the Last Saturday 3rd May 2014 at 10:28

Dammit, why does it have to be through Club Nintendo?! Living in Scandinavia(Norway) sucks... Though if the free game comes in form of a download code, I guess I can sign up for an account in UK or somewhere else in Europe, and just get the code!

44. Luke Langley Saturday 3rd May 2014 at 10:42

Anyone got NINTENDO LAND? If so, what's it like?

45. tobes325 Saturday 3rd May 2014 at 11:10

Anyone got NINTENDO LAND? If so, what's it like?

It's good for a quick blast - way better in multiplayer though and gets a bit boring playing on your own but by no means a bad game :)

46. Time-Bomb Saturday 3rd May 2014 at 12:38

Anyone got NINTENDO LAND? If so, what's it like?

It's really good. Definitely one which you won't get the most out of without a friend or two from time to time, but there's plenty to do by yourself too. If you like Zelda or Metroid, there's solo outings for those two which are pretty solid games.

47. laughingjumpman Saturday 3rd May 2014 at 20:00

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - 2.5GB
    The Wonderful 101 - 12.9GB :shock:
    Sonic Lost World - Around 7-8GB
    Mario & Sonic + The Infinite Title - Around 7-8GB
    Game & Wario - Around 7-8GB
    Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - Around 7-8GB
    Wii Party U - Around 7-8GB (this is seriously bigger than Wind Waker?)
    New Super Mario Bros. U - I believe this is around 4.5GB

Thanks, that's pretty handy. Luckily I picked up a cheap hard drive from argos clearance a while ago despite not needing the space just yet. Looks like it's basically going to become a massive W101 cartridge at the end of the month!

48. bigterence Sunday 4th May 2014 at 07:47

Yeah, desktop hard drive it is then .

49. MUTANTMARIO Sunday 4th May 2014 at 12:56

Hi was wondering if anyone has an idea about how much mk8 will cost on eshop? Not sure whether to get it on there with super mario kart deal, or pre-order for Ł40 from game with racing wheel

50. bones0898 Monday 5th May 2014 at 14:25

For me it be the wonderfull 101 traded in my version. but wish i hadn't as its a great game but the controls are a bit iffy lol. Have to sign up for nintendo again though can't w8.

51. dbcoolhullcity Saturday 10th May 2014 at 20:04

Going to have to be Wind Waker for me I think as that and Pikmin 3 are the only ones that interest me (maybe Monster Hunter 3), I've only got/played ZombiU and Nintendoland (got with my WiiU)!!!

52. HughPR Sunday 11th May 2014 at 10:09

Wait...did I read this right? If I buy MK8, just the game no bundle, and register it, I can get one of those games for free? If so that's INSANE! (ly good).

53. DstryrEU Monday 12th May 2014 at 09:28

54. Janez Krnc Thursday 22nd May 2014 at 21:58

Geeze... i just CAN'T decide between NSMBU or Wonderfull101 :(
    I already have WWHD, MH3U, Nintendoland and Pikmin 3, so those 2 are most viable choices. But really can't decide :/ Some people say W101 is awesome, but i'm worried it wouldn't be for me. I have mixed feelings about the demo. Could love it, or i could have not. Not sure.
    As for the NSMBU... i kinda know what to expect... for better or for worse :)

55. Mariostar222 Sunday 1st Jun 2014 at 19:37

For the love of SORAltd. please do this with the Smash bros. games....at least the(checks list off games made since 2012) 3DS version! (tomadachi life)

56. ivorfran Thursday 4th Sep 2014 at 06:21

Why is this still running as a header on the website? It has expired. If you haven't got time to update it (what with all the news ?????!!!!), then at least put a disclaimer on saying that this site is an archive, not a news site.