Dragon Quest X Coming To Wii

Square Enix bring classic RPG series back to Nintendo...

Square Enix has announced that Dragon Quest X will be released exclusively for Wii. Yoki Horii, the creator of the classic RPG series, made the announcement at the Dragon Quest Conference in Tokyo but revealed no further details.

This is massive news for Nintendo as the Dragon Quest series is one of the most popular RPGs in Japan, having sold over 43 million games. The series began on NES in 1986 and subesequent games were released on Nintendo consoles until Dragon Quest VII was released on PlayStation in 2000.

Of course Dragon Quest: The Masked Queen And The Tower Of Mirrors has already been released on Wii but it is a spin off to the main series.

Square also announced that the ninth game in the series will be coming to DS in Japan on 28 March 2009.

Comments

1. Jedi_jester Wednesday 10th Dec 2008 at 12:45

EPIC WIN!!! :D

This is great news for the Wii in Japan. Plus I myself can't wait for some more Dragon Quest action. I really like the DS Dragon Quest 4.

Hope for some screens and/or a trailer soon.

2. Medea Wednesday 10th Dec 2008 at 13:19

Wow! Thats fantastic news! I've never actually played a DragonQuest game but I've heard good things about them. Besides there isn't near enough RPG's on the Wii. :D

3. yubel Wednesday 10th Dec 2008 at 15:18

Well,lets hope they replace the cartoony enimies used in the remakes and decide to not be so silly(more heartpumping enimies needed)
    Although first id like to play dragon quest iv for ds beacause,well,it looks amazing.
    But ill keep an eye out for an actual wii dragon quest title and not anouther remake.

4. koopa64 Wednesday 10th Dec 2008 at 16:28

cannot wait played DQ8 on ps2 and i am really excited about this new game. YAY over a hundred hours of fun :D

5. Mama Luigi Wednesday 10th Dec 2008 at 16:31

I was a little disappointed a couple of years back when I heard that IX was going to be on DS after the sheer scale of VIII on PS2. Since then and after numerous revelations and trailers I couldn't be more excited.

Then, to hear that X will be on a home console has really made me drool at the mouth. This should be like VIII all over again but on a much larger scale. The overworld made you feel so free in that game. Even though it'll take about 5 years to come out, it's still my most anticipated Wii game to date.

VIII was the best RPG ever so X should better it if it's on Wii.

6. nintendood Wednesday 10th Dec 2008 at 17:45

undoubtedly it's good news, but i was kinda hoping it to be on PS3...the Wii version won't be a graphical improvement over the previous games, but oh well, the wii needs its first new RPG badly.

I just hope they don't spoil it by putting gimmicky motion controls and making it more 'accesible'. That would be a disaster for hardcore RPG fans.

7. Mama Luigi Wednesday 10th Dec 2008 at 20:03

I just hope they don't spoil it by putting gimmicky motion controls and making it more 'accessible'. That would be a disaster for hardcore RPG fans.

The graphical quality doesn't matter. Even if they used the DQVIII engine I'd be fine with it. That was near enough perfection in terms of cel shading. Obviously on Wii there may be a few improvements in terms of lighting and detail so it'll probably look a bit like DQ Swords.

As for the gimmicky controls and casual friendliness, that'll never happen. It's Dragon Quest afterall. The thing the series in renowned for is retaining the old school RPG feel even to this day. If you like less gameplay and more storyline then choose Final Fantasy but reverse the two and you've got Dragon Quest. I'm expecting another hardcore, 60+ hour grindfest with a cliched story and more slimes than you can shake a stick at. I wouldn't have it any other way.

With Fragile, Tales Of Symphonia: Dawn Of The New World, Arc Rise Fantasia and Dragon Quest X on the way, things are starting to look up for RPG fans where the Wii is concerned.

8. Golden Knight Thursday 11th Dec 2008 at 18:34

(Drooling)

9. Dean Thompson Thursday 11th Dec 2008 at 19:26

this should be good too! but still, where golden sun at yall?!

10. NEO.BAHAMUT Friday 12th Dec 2008 at 17:39

What!?

DRAGON QUEST X FTW!!!

11. ILoveWii Saturday 13th Dec 2008 at 13:49

I doubt Square will do that to all their franchises. They already did so with Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, and they know they can't make all ther key franchises accesible.

TBH, I don't give one about graphical capabilities. I'm happy it's coming to Wii, because it gives me a chance to experience a divine series.

12. Kefka Saturday 13th Dec 2008 at 16:26

the Wii version won't be a graphical improvement over the previous games

Erm, how do you work that one out? The Wii is more powerful than the PS2, and DQIX is on the DS. Dragon Quest X has the potential to be the best-looking game yet.

Huge news, this. Just what the Wii needed. Also, Nintendo have agreed to help market the series outside Japan. Hopefully that'll give it a much-needed popularity boost in the west.