Secret Of Mana Hits The VC

Sonic 2 joins Square's classic RPG

Christmas has either come really, really early for Wii gamers this morning, or a day late, with the news that classic SNES action RPG Secret Of Mana has finally made it to the Virtual Console.

Released back in 1994 to massive acclaim, it ditched Square-Enix's standard turn-based combat for real time combat more akin to the Zelda series. It remains one of Square's very best games and at 800 Wii Points it's a must for all serious RPG fans. Read our review here to find out more.

Also available for download is the Sega Master System version of Sonic The Hedgehog 2, priced at 500 Wii Points. Despite its name, it's a completely different game to the later Mega Drive release, not just in terms of plot and level design but also quality - this one's just not quite as good. We'll have a full review up soon.

Comments

1. City Of Delusion Friday 26th Dec 2008 at 13:24

About time. I still think you should throw out the ONM crystal ball.

2. Baker1000 Friday 26th Dec 2008 at 13:46

I downloaded SoM at 11pm last night when they add it! :D I couldn't wait, especially after you guys told me in the mag it was out ages ago. Never do that to me again!...oh, you already did with Mario Golf 64, curse you!

3. King-X Saturday 27th Dec 2008 at 00:28

I downloaded. I still have it on SNES but if nothing else I see it as a statement to Nintendo that we want more games like this added.

Now if Illusion of Time and Terranigma ever come to the Virtual Console over here that'll be real progress but this in itself is a significant step forward. I'd known that Japan had this ages ago and would have taken a very dim view of it never coming here.

4. Gordon Ramsey Saturday 27th Dec 2008 at 13:20

Yet more pointless VC games for me, I will not buy these games because they are at PAL settings; 50Hz and with big black boarders top and bottom. :?

5. ACRID Saturday 27th Dec 2008 at 13:24

Sonic 2 for MS - BRILLIANT, I absoloutly loved this game, surelt the only Sonic game where you can ride a hanglider. I'm off to get this now!

6. Satin Saturday 27th Dec 2008 at 14:13

I won't be downloading this as I have my SNES copy still :D
    So glad that the best RPG I have ever played has been added to the VC. Hoping lots of people who never got to play this will experiance this fantastic game. The only game I've played that comes close to its greatness is Secret of Mana 2 (seiken deustantsu 3, spelling probably wrong) which was sadly only released in Japan. Maybe if Secret of Mana does well then the sequel may finally make its way over here.

7. TheAPERSON Saturday 27th Dec 2008 at 21:14

I've finally got an online Wii (I'm using it at the moment, complete with USB Keyboard). Unfortunately I won't be able to get this until Nintendo releases the Wii system update to let you run games off an SD Card.

Secret of Mana looks good though.

8. Pikmin Freak Monday 29th Dec 2008 at 16:41

Secret of Mana looks good though.

I want Secret of Mana,world of goo,super mario RPG,and Super Metroid,but can't because i have no room on the wii, so i need an update aswell. :evil:

9. Pikmin Freak Wednesday 31st Dec 2008 at 20:08

Finaly! :mrgreen: About time

10. Pikmin Freak Wednesday 31st Dec 2008 at 23:47

Wait you said christmas comes early, but you posted it on Boxing day.I'm confused.com! :shock:

11. Adam2112 Saturday 10th Jan 2009 at 21:17

I think that they mean that it's really early for Christmas 2009.
    :D